Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:45:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinLenders, Inputs.io, Tradefortress (HACK)  (Read 39685 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Rainkiss

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 04:27:54 PM

inputs: wbforbtc

0.00544225BTC

Not enough for me to make a claim, but I'm new to this and it took me about a month to get that. Just wanted to add my name in the mix.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 07:02:51 PM

Total Owed:6514.894239
Total Paid:219.383

First, I'm very sure this is not the full list of coinlender users.

I don't think I'm off if I say TF debt to coinlender users is at the very least 10k BTC
If he applies the same rate as he did for Dumbfruit to everyone, that means he would only give 2k back, thus keeping 8k.

8k - 4.1k = Huh

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 07:53:28 PM

8k - 4.1k = Huh

8k - 4.1k =

CryptoUser01

Activity: 26

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:51:45 PM

I've got a proposal for U.S. based victims:

Follow this advice:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4522.html

I'm planning to start that tonight.

For those in other countries, you will likely have a similar kind of agency that I'd suggest you look for and utilize.

I'd like to get this reported and the process started to put a little more pressure on TF to come to the table even for smaller CL deposits.

To DumbFruit:

Would it be possible to ask the country of origin for users wishing to post their balance due here? If someone in respective countries would like to post their appropriate agency and contact information, I imagine that would be helpful to others. I'd be happy to help edit and combine data if you like.

CryptoUser01
DumbFruit (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 263

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 08:54:57 PM

I will be happy to make a section to direct people to the proper places to report what has, and is, going on here.

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
gaston909

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:21:35 PM

8k - 4.1k = Huh

8k - 4.1k =

Not entierly sure where you are getting this -4.1k from.... pretty sure there was a huge haircut for inputs users who had more than 1BTC so you can write at least 1k of that off for the haircut and another 900BTC from his own pocket. - in reality haircuts were much higherthan this percentage!
Kouye

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:33:06 PM

8k - 4.1k = Huh

Not entierly sure where you are getting this -4.1k from.... pretty sure there was a huge haircut for inputs users who had more than 1BTC so you can write at least 1k of that off for the haircut and another 900BTC from his own pocket. - in reality haircuts were much higherthan this percentage!

4.1k is the amount of bitcoins that were stolen by "hackers".
So... Err... I'm just pulling it from official TF statements?

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2013, 10:43:47 PM

So yeah.. Just went to check my inputs account after a fewvweeks to find all this!! What a joke. Now to try work out how much I actually had in there! :-@
Annoying part was that the last time I used Bitcoin s couple weeks ago I transferred everything from my multibit accounts to my inputs one do I could access it easier! -_-

gaston909

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:54:55 PM

8k - 4.1k = Huh

4.1k is the amount of bitcoins that were stolen by "hackers".
So... Err... I'm just pulling it from official TF statements?

Yea I know but its already written off.... 2000BTC+ seems worth factoring in. Nevermind.
Kouye

View Profile
November 19, 2013, 10:58:04 PM

MtGox rate down to 640$... I actually hope BTC crashes to under 100$ now, just to see how TF will adapt his offer. Grin

mrtchipr

Activity: 58

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:15:38 AM

Have anyone from the US started talking to a lawyer?

Please PM me.
tehelsper

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:27:44 AM

Please PM me.

I've started looking. I've filed fraud complains with both the US and Australian governments have have been collecting as much data on TF as possible.
tantanbit

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 04:59:51 AM

CL:tantanchina
balance:72.52
FUCK TF!!!!!!!why should we pay for his mistake?
Moogle

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 06:24:31 AM

One mote for the updated first post. My inputs accounts had: 0.41951039BTC in one account
And 0.01000091BTC in the other account

lonestar108

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 07:23:34 AM

I just settled with TF.
I followed the approach outlined by DumbFruit.
I figured out the USD equivalent at the time of deposit for all my initial deposits that went into CL. This gave me a grand total USD that I was out.
I then proposed a BTC coin price that would deliver the equivalent value. I 'future dated' it by going above the current spot price.
He responded right away to the offer. He said he wanted either government ID or an address used as a deposit to Inputs to send to.
Since my deposits were from exchanges, I couldn't give him an address that would function that way, so I send a scan of my passport with some information redacted.
My return rate is a bit below what DumbFruit got, but they were the numbers I proposed.

TF asked me to post my settlement here, and so I did.

I really needed to move on and now I am.

I have also just settled with TF, using the approach outlined by DumbFruit. I've just been sent 33% of my CL BTC balance at the time of the hack, and considering the number of people using other online wallets/services that have had their funds stolen by hackers and not seen a single satoshi as compensation - much less heard a single peep from the operators of those sites - I consider this a fantastic resolution, especially considering that the dollar value of the BTC I had on deposit with CL were originally purchased for about 20% of the current USD value of the BTC I just received back.

I know it's devastating to have something valuable stolen from you, and by no means am I trying to minimize the anger, frustration, and powerlessness that all of us have gone through over this order, but I urge everyone to keep the following in mind: 

Unlike the USD that you keep in your bank, there are absolutely no laws or regulations that govern the bitcoin economy.  No legal recourse exists to get your coin back in this kind of circumstance, because no regulations exist to ensure that the outfit you do business with has a satisfactory security infrastructure, no regulations exist to regulate how / where your coin is kept, and most importantly, no regulation (and likely no insurance plan) exists to make sure your deposits are insured against loss, unlike your FDIC-insured bank account.

In fact, deposit insurance of this kind would be prohibitively expensive because of bitcoin's price instability, relatively small market cap (compared to the USD), and lack of historical data with which to formulate the actuarial models necessary to create a viable deposit insurance offering.

Given the above, I think it's awesome to get anything back at all and that TF is willing to work with those that contact them. After all, I knew the risks outlined above, and accepted them in return for the potential rewards offered by investing in Bitcoin, and I'm assuming that everyone else who deposited at CL or let their BTC out of offline storage did too.  If I had wanted my investment to be insured, safe, stable, and *fucking incredibly boring*, I would have turned my BTC into USD, and sunk it into a traditional low-yield, low-risk mutual fund. Or I would have stuck my BTC in cold storage and just waited for a few years.

But that wasn't my investment goal. I knew the risks up-front, knew about the lack of effective legal recourse and the potential for big losses the moment my BTC left my offline wallet, and decided to take a risk anyway because of the potential reward. Considering the gains I've personally made over the last 2 years working with bitcoin, and considering that TF is working with those that contact them to settle, I'm happy with how things turned out in the end... (I pretty much wrote off my CL balance days ago so this coin is gravy.)

Given CL's track record of consistently making profitable loans - which has made me, and a bunch of us here a mint over CL's lifetime - I would consider depositing with them again if they reopened with a greatly-improved security infrastructure that was audited by a trusted, independent third-party security firm... I'm not holding my breath for BTC deposit insurance anytime soon, as its cost would likely result in deposits paying almost no - or negative - interest.

The undeniable fact is that Coinlenders was damn good at making solid loans, and the interest rate was obscene if you consider what you'll get at a bank... that is why we all kept coin there, right?  For me personally, if they continue to work with depositors positively and can prove to the world that this kind of fuck-up never ever happens again, I see no reason to not work with TF and CL in the future since they obviously knew how to make money for their depositors.

Yes, I know I'm likely to get a ton of hate for expressing this perspective, or be accused of shilling for TF, but considering the legal recourse I have with CL (almost none), the amount of time and money I would have had to spend to collect my deposit in full, and the amount of rage and hate I would have continued to feel over this if it hadn't been unresolved, I'm happy about this resolution.  After all, folks - there are some BTCJam borrowers that I would immediately put down if I ever met them in a dark alley, all because they wouldn't even respond to me over a $100 loan or settle for $20 to forgive the loan.  Communication and compromise go far in my book - and conversely deadbeats should be beat until dead.

tl;dr; I contacted TF as per DumbFruit's tips, and got enough coin back to make me happy. I'm happy with the outcome of my case, glad that I don't have to keep reading through this thread and rage over my lost coins, and I urge those of you that wanna end this nightmare to contact TF and negotiate a settlement. You'll get some coin - and your sanity - back.
posormo

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 08:22:48 AM

Please PM me.

I know someone who has found local talent in Australia to act on their behalf.   Can't say much more than that or TF will know whats coming.   And we don't want that..

dozerz
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1057

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 10:40:03 AM

actions are underway locally in australia to at least bring some form of justice. i would be feeling very uncomfortable if i was trade fortress.

space for rent, shilling for sats
manort

Activity: 27

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2013, 12:39:25 PM

Hello all,

I just received a refund of about 19% of my 35.5 investment back (including interest).

I had been one of TF's supporters here, but not any more.

TF came up with several innovative business ideas that had real potential. In the end, I think that CL was in trouble from defaults and in danger of becoming a ponzi scheme, though I do not think it started out as one. The hack, based on the information provided by Dumbfruit, shows both arrogance and sloppiness. TF had ample opportunity to protect his business and our funds and, for whatever reason, did not do so. There is a chance that he was part of the hack on himself, but I don't think so. I think he was arrogant and thought no one could be smarter than him.

I could forgive TF for the hack and even his mistakes in allowing it to happen. I cannot forgive the arrogant way he has treated his investors. This hack was an opportunity for TF. If he had come clean immediately, apologized for his role, and worked fairly with his investors, a great number of us would have continued to support him. CL is dead, but he might have thought of another businesses idea that we would get behind because we would know that this individual is a stand up guy.

Instead, it appears he has not tried to refund all inputs depositors. Then, when it came time to deal with the CL investors, he let it become a free-for-all of people trying to guess what the rules of his game were. He should have come up with a process-instead he made one up on the spot. He has said that he would only consider offers to cash out that protected other CL depositors. BS. At the end of the day, I believe wholeheartedly that TF is going to have thousands of bitcoin in his wallet. That is his goal.

I have agreed not to join any lawsuit against him or to make further claims. I no longer have a legal right to do so. If he had been humble, open, and honest, the amount I received would still hurt dearly, but I would accept it and wish him well. Because of his F-you attitude, I feel that he should be held to account.

I will be writing and posting on my website, bitcoinwarrior.net, an expose of TradeFortress. If anyone has any information that would be helpful to that article beyond what is written here, please email me at editor@bitcoinwarrior.net. If anyone has any more DOX information about him, please email me.

Further, for those who are considering a lawsuit, please email me. I would be happy to publicize your efforts, try to recruit more people who may not be following these boards, etc.

To TF: You can either be perfect, or humble. You are clearly not perfect given that you could have prevented this hack. You may think that you can ditch the TF handle and walk away clean, and you may be right. But, it may be that this finds a way to follow you for your whole career. I'll be doing my best to make sure it does.
DumbFruit (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 263

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:39:10 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with manort, and not so much with lonestar, but thank you both for sharing your experience in this ordeal.
I personally wont ever deal with TradeFortress again.

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
Dr.Steve

Activity: 54

View Profile
November 20, 2013, 01:51:44 PM

I will do anything I can to bring the arrogant SOB to justice. If there are legal proceeding afoot, contact me for support.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: