Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:41:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-08 WashingtonPost: Everything you need to know about the Bitcoin bubble  (Read 1013 times)
Arvicco (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2013, 11:14:12 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-bitcoin-bubble/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:20:57 PM

I don't agree with every statement but overall pretty balanced coverage.  I am amazed at how far the media has come with Bitcoin.  I mean first it was nothing ... absolutely nothing.  Then it was illogical rants, dubious claims, mocking, etc.  Then it was nothing but hype (fueling bubbles).  We are just starting to get into real coverage now.

I like that he in plain English discounts the fallacy of "everyone will hoard so it will fail because it becomes to valuable" nonsense
As for the idea that the rising value of bitcoins will cause people to hoard Bitcoins rather than spending them, that's based on flawed reasoning. If everyone holding bitcoins expect their value to rise dramatically in the future, then the price will rise now, until some Bitcoin holders are willing to part with their Bitcoins.
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:04:16 AM

The argument you're referencing, 'that people will hoard for speculative reasons', runs counter to every bit of modern, empirical evidence thus far discovered.  The notion of compound interest is a basic, accepted economic concept, and summarized by the adage "it takes money to make money".  Despite this fact of life, most people seek the short term gains afforded by debt, and suffer as a result.  Therefore, that argument is provably bullshit, and it deeply bothers me to see it published.  Bitcoin has plenty of risks, from frangibility to early adopter-advantage, to that posed by a superior cryptocurrencie.  How about they read up offer some relevant critiques.

tl; dr -  If people actually hoarded appreciating assets, there wouldn't nearly as so much debt and poverty in the world as currently so.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:06:25 AM

Um the author wasn't making that claim, he was disagreeing with it.
Cubic Earth
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:19:59 AM

Shit.  I got lost in some my thoughts and critiqued an article I didn't read.  I had intended only to bash that line of faulty reasoning your referenced that has been frequently published elsewhere.

*Note to self: Read before commenting*
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:55:45 AM

I think the article is well-written and researched, but it is biased. He does clear up much of the FUD and many of the myths, but he spends very little space on how bitcoin could fail and why the price might crash.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:57:19 AM

I don't agree with every statement but overall pretty balanced coverage.  I am amazed at how far the media has come with Bitcoin.  I mean first it was nothing ... absolutely nothing.  Then it was illogical rants, dubious claims, mocking, etc.  Then it was nothing but hype (fueling bubbles).  We are just starting to get into real coverage now.

I like that he in plain English discounts the fallacy of "everyone will hoard so it will fail because it becomes to valuable" nonsense
As for the idea that the rising value of bitcoins will cause people to hoard Bitcoins rather than spending them, that's based on flawed reasoning. If everyone holding bitcoins expect their value to rise dramatically in the future, then the price will rise now, until some Bitcoin holders are willing to part with their Bitcoins.

Here's my own personal anecdote.  I actually have been more prone to spend during rally periods than downswings or periods of stability.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:46:55 AM

Here's my own personal anecdote.  I actually have been more prone to spend during rally periods than downswings or periods of stability.

Yup, use purchasing power when it looks like it's the best it will be for a while.

There are all sorts of psychological effects from hard currency, I tend to concentrate on never buying somehting useless that won't last (although I tended towards that with fiat, but giving up BTC just has to be a more careful decision). I think cryptocurrency will eventually remove the designed obsolescence from manufactured goods. The fiat system encourages such waste of time, effort and raw materials. When I was a boy, before The War.... etc

Vires in numeris
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 01:50:55 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 04:58:58 AM by knight22

Yup, use purchasing power when it looks like it's the best it will be for a while.

There are all sorts of psychological effects from hard currency, I tend to concentrate on never buying somehting useless that won't last (although I tended towards that with fiat, but giving up BTC just has to be a more careful decision). I think cryptocurrency will eventually remove the designed obsolescence from manufactured goods. The fiat system encourages such waste of time, effort and raw materials. When I was a boy, before The War.... etc

^^ This

unfortunatly a lot of economists are still confusing massive trash production with good economic growth

notthematrix
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 03:04:13 AM

Why economists fail on understanding Bitcoin?
history was always with a inflationary currency.
This one is a deflationary one Smiley that's why all stats will fail here ,, dollar is inflationary since the beginning it was baked by a Limited supply of gold but at that time nobody knew how much this was precisely! and even now we don't know the amount of ounces gold in
planet earth!
But,,, with Bitcoin it will be 21.000.000 so , its a known constant! we are currently at 11925350 BTC so that's also known... and that's why it does what it does.
its the first time in history that we know the total of supply available on forehand to a currency system.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
.♦♦♦.XSL Labs.♦♦♦.
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|  WHITEPAPER 
  AUDIO WP
|Confidentiality
Authenticity
Integrity
Cubic Earth
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 04:14:15 AM

^^ This

unfortunatly a lot of economists are still confusing massive trash production with good economic groth
My biggest dream for bitcoin is not for great personal wealth, but that somehow, through it's deflationary nature, it can help us transition away from an economy based on growth.  At least not growth of pollution, war, population, etc., but perhaps growth of kindness, compassion, logic, understanding.  Ya, I know, I'm dreaming.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 11:02:46 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2013, 11:19:06 AM by Spaceman_Spiff

unfortunatly a lot of economists are still confusing massive trash production with good economic growth

Agreed

And I disagree with the author to only look at bitcoin as a payment network, and not as a true currency.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 12:09:35 PM

^^ This

unfortunatly a lot of economists are still confusing massive trash production with good economic groth
My biggest dream for bitcoin is not for great personal wealth, but that somehow, through it's deflationary nature, it can help us transition away from an economy based on growth.  At least not growth of pollution, war, population, etc., but perhaps growth of kindness, compassion, logic, understanding.  Ya, I know, I'm dreaming.
I am thinking for sure Bitcoin could be the beginning of economy based on smart and really meaningful investments.

Inflationary economy = You have to spend or you lose, no choice = A lot of STUPID investments
Deflationary economy = You are not forced to do anything with your money = A lot of SMART investments (people will not waste their money needlesly on stupid ideas because they can earn just by holding them)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: