Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 12:19:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: $500 million Coincheck hack: Full story + Unique pictures of darknet  (Read 140 times)
Jonathan_Foster (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:35:37 AM

Hey, I've just posted this on DeepDotWeb. https://www.deepdotweb.com/2018/04/09/coincheck-hackers-have-laundered-all-of-their-nem/

Wondering what you guys think? The picture of the hacker replying to a support ticket was quite surprising to me.
 Sad that they have got away with it as well.

How do you think these hacks should be avoided?
Do we need more government regulation of exchanges or should we avoid this at all costs?

Thanks for your opinions.
manoj6233

Activity: 196
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:40:19 AM

Early Friday morning in Tokyo, hackers broke into a cryptocurrency exchange called Coincheck Inc. and made off with nearly $500 million in digital tokens. It's one of the biggest heists in history, with the exchange losing more than 500 million of the somewhat obscure NEM coins. The hack has raised
xanaxxx

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 09:44:24 AM

Hey, I've just posted this on DeepDotWeb. https://www.deepdotweb.com/2018/04/09/coincheck-hackers-have-laundered-all-of-their-nem/

Wondering what you guys think? The picture of the hacker replying to a support ticket was quite surprising to me.

Do we need more government regulation of exchanges or should we avoid this at all costs?

hack will be avoided by better decentralization of the trading and exchanges, such as atomic swaps technology for example. You can take a look at bitcoin atom, they're launching atomic swaps through their nodes this month.
Jonathan_Foster (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 10:01:44 AM

hack will be avoided by better decentralization of the trading and exchanges, such as atomic swaps technology for example. You can take a look at bitcoin atom, they're launching atomic swaps through their nodes this month.

Interesting, I will have a look. Right now all the DEXs are either very low liquidity or very hard to use. Atomic swaps will need the Lightning Network, which we have been waiting for a long time. Hopefully we see the technology develop soon. Personally, the KYC/AML regulations everywhere should be worrying for crypto users.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 10:32:11 AM

Interesting, I will have a look. Right now all the DEXs are either very low liquidity or very hard to use. Atomic swaps will need the Lightning Network, which we have been waiting for a long time. Hopefully we see the technology develop soon. Personally, the KYC/AML regulations everywhere should be worrying for crypto users.

I don't think they will require lightning

already komodo and blocknet are able to conduct atomic swaps. Those two should come on strong in the next few months.

dex are the next natural steps in this arena and it is a shame it has taken this long

marvtridon

Activity: 151
Merit: 3

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 10:38:01 AM

One million dollars in some countries is a fortune. Now hackers stole over 500million dollars. Those guys must be super rich to buy the economy of some nations of the world.

Technology should develop more to protect users. A good Dex is the key now though it can get hacked too because tech is man made

CRYPTASSIST.io   |▌  ICO has Started  ▶  JOIN NOW!
THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD   ⚫  WIN A TESLA ROADSTER!
Ragnartron

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 10:45:42 AM

Coincheck announced that they will compensate hack victims. That amount is not enough, but I guess it better than nothing.
https://www.coindesk.com/coincheck-exchange-to-compensate-hack-victims-from-next-week/

User security is much needed on exchanges. I hope that we could see some insurances soon.
marcripto

Activity: 658
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 10:46:00 AM

Hackers are one of the worst evils in the cryptocurrency industry, along with several states, business banks and various speculators. We need to increase the level of security measures, especially in the exchanges that are the most vulnerable and it would take as soon as possible a general regulation to protect the entire sector, especially investors
Jonathan_Foster (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 11:04:37 AM

I don't think they will require lightning

already komodo and blocknet are able to conduct atomic swaps. Those two should come on strong in the next few months.

dex are the next natural steps in this arena and it is a shame it has taken this long

You are right... You don't think Komodo is just a better version of Blocknet?

Hackers are one of the worst evils in the cryptocurrency industry, along with several states, business banks and various speculators. We need to increase the level of security measures, especially in the exchanges that are the most vulnerable and it would take as soon as possible a general regulation to protect the entire sector, especially investors

Understood, but surely the more regulations we introduce, the less decentralised it all becomes. Exchanges could very well become the new banks.
HardFireMiner

Activity: 872
Merit: 120

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 11:43:11 AM

Very organized action of the hackers, quite impressive.  NEM sure will have a lot to catch up from now on.

█  █  █  █    / / / / / / / /    Play Games, Earn Crypto!         █  █  █    \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \    Start Earning NOW by Playing Mind Improving Games!     █  █  █  █     \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \  Best Crypto Earning Games for Office Workers!       █  █  █  █  Free Withdrawals of BTC, Doge and ETH 
Jonathan_Foster (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 01:06:03 PM

Very organized action of the hackers, quite impressive.  NEM sure will have a lot to catch up from now on.

Exactly, the avoidance of the mosaics required creativity. It is very worrying that the hackers could be North Korean.
waorana

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 03:17:01 PM

I was not aware of this theft of five hundred million tokens from Coincheck, this is very bad news for the whole industry. I hope for everyone that exchangers immediately increase the level of security measures, because more and more often they verify these thefts and moreover a general regulation of the whole sector is more and more urgent
vv181
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273

View Profile
April 10, 2018, 03:52:15 PM

Although decentralization of exchanges will greatly improve the security measure for the user, currently, there are no such promising decentralization exchanges being developed. Well, that is my opinion, but actually, we urgently need the missing promising decentralized exchanges because I believe the government's regulations will be stricter.
Jonathan_Foster (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 09:52:43 AM

Although decentralization of exchanges will greatly improve the security measure for the user, currently, there are no such promising decentralization exchanges being developed. Well, that is my opinion, but actually, we urgently need the missing promising decentralized exchanges because I believe the government's regulations will be stricter.

Your opinions on developing DEXs such as Komodo and Blocknet? We can all agree something like Etherdelta is a nightmare to use.
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 10:04:45 AM

That picture of Kim with piles of cash is very disturbing.

Anyway, there's not much the governments can do with the hack now, as it seems the money has already been liquidated. This should serve a lesson for other exchanges too because the repercussions of these hacking incidents aren't limited to crypto, for all we know it could've been used to fund WMDs.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Jonathan_Foster (OP)

View Profile
April 11, 2018, 11:08:05 AM

That picture of Kim with piles of cash is very disturbing.

Anyway, there's not much the governments can do with the hack now, as it seems the money has already been liquidated. This should serve a lesson for other exchanges too because the repercussions of these hacking incidents aren't limited to crypto, for all we know it could've been used to fund WMDs.

Yes, in fact the picture is taken from a dailystar article. I'm surprised that the site is still up today, it shows the level of confidence the hackers have in not being discovered. Who knows where the money will end up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: