Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:12:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe the US will lose its AAA rating?
Definitely - 41 (31.8%)
Pretty Sure - 39 (30.2%)
Absolutely Not - 26 (20.2%)
May Need a Tow Truck - 4 (3.1%)
This is the best poll I've ever participated in. - 19 (14.7%)
Total Voters: 129

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The $1 Billion Armageddon Trade  (Read 4441 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 12:18:44 PM

http://etfdailynews.com/2011/07/25/investors-the-1-billion-armageddon-trade-placed-against-the-united-states/

It looks like our AAA rating is about to have a fender bender and may need to rely on a towing service to get around. I'm not a speculator, I'm a forum guy (sorry, Bones). Somebody has made a bet, a $1B bet nonetheless, possibly knowing that the US is going to default or lose its AAA rating. If he (not a woman--read http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=32386.0 ) wins, he'll decuple his investment. I personally find that fact outrageous. No one should be able to make a tenfold, or more, profit on any investment--unless its for the betterment of the overall global community (had you there for a second).

Any thoughts on how this may effect Bitcoin?

Bitcoin: Default Proof!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
static

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:04:06 PM

the u.s. has already defaulted.

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:13:23 PM

The rating agencies are regulated by the USA government. The USA government will never loose the AAA rating by these agencies.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:13:55 PM

the u.s. has already defaulted.

Multiple times, no less.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 01:55:24 PM

I personally find that fact outrageous. No one should be able to make a tenfold, or more, profit on any investment--unless its for the betterment of the overall global community (had you there for a second).

Why are you making moral judgement on how much profit a person should be able to make?

The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 02:23:15 PM

It depends on what type of agreement is reached.

A) No agreement, then highly likely. The republicans would love for some shit to happen and blame Obama. (2012 elections hello....)

B) Debt ceiling is raised but only enough for 6 months. Still likely that we could lose our triple A

C) Debt ceiling is raided substantially.  No we do not lose our triple A.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 02:27:09 PM

I personally find that fact outrageous. No one should be able to make a tenfold, or more, profit on any investment--unless its for the betterment of the overall global community (had you there for a second).

Why are you making moral judgement on how much profit a person should be able to make?

I wasn't. The statement you're referring to was obviously tongue-in-cheek. I even clarified that fact by placing the phrase "had you there for a second" in parentheses knowing that if I didn't, I may end up getting a comment such as yours. I was trying to cover all bases, but still got called out. The next time I'm at bat, I promise to do better.

BTW, I harvest and buy reclaimed barn wood for a living. I buy at pennies on the dollar and make 400-1,000+ percent profit on each transaction. Therefore, I have no qualms in making as much profit as possible, and pass no moral judgement on others who do.

Thank you kindly, kiba, for the comment, and please don't take my comment towards you personal.

Bitcoin: Now Accepted at Quark's Bar, Grill, Gaming House and Holosuite Arcade
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 02:31:40 PM

A) No agreement, then highly likely. The republicans would love for some shit to happen and blame Obama. (2012 elections hello....)

B) Debt ceiling is raised but only enough for 6 months. Still likely that we could lose our triple A

C) Debt ceiling is raided substantially.  No we do not lose our triple A.

"C) Debt ceiling is raised substantially.  No we do not lose our triple A."

This would be my favorite option. If we went from an AAA rating to an AA, I would probably start drinking again.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 03:26:07 PM

The democrats would love for some shit to happen and blame have Obama ride to the rescue. (2012 elections hello....)
Seraphim401

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 03:55:14 PM

I think the U.S. will lose it for while,but get it back again.
Seems like the real powers of this world wants weaken every strong country,so no one can stand in way of world government.
In their sick twisted minds I bet they think they are creating some kind of power equilibrium.
What do you think the hype about China is all about?Every time those fake commies "create" some kind of weapon it's hyped by the media (Refurbished Russian aircraft carrier,stealth bomber that Clinton sold to them etc...).Never again will the world know a power like the USA.

Palmdetroit
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

PHS 50% PoS - Stop mining start minting

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 05:34:00 PM

C) Debt ceiling is raided substantially.  No we do not lose our triple A.

AAA will be lost doing C as well, just FYI - And those who think we should do another 2.5 trill.. that's 25k per every person in this country... and it will be all gone right after next years elections,... if it even lasts that long

1million+ liability for every taxpayer as of today... no possible solution unless the dollar loses 90% of value

for the all the numbers that show just how sad it's become:  image courtesy of:
http://usdebtclock.org/index.html

Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 05:44:33 PM

The rating agencies are regulated by the USA government. The USA government will never loose the AAA rating by these agencies.

Yes it seems these agencies were the same ones giving AAA ratings to home loans when they were crap.
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 06:11:28 PM

The US has already defaulted.

I second that.

Ron Paul is one of the ones saying this.

We have been bankrupt since 1933, so what does one more default matter?

Does anyone have a deckchair that can fly overboard or sink?
Now is the time you may want to paint it, polish it, decorate it, and nail it down.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 07:48:55 PM

America may have won the war of Independence but were quickly invaded again by stealth via the Fed money system that has its roots in the UK banking system. As a result, the US is simply a 'corporation' of the UK and most Americans dont even realise it. Quite ingenious really.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Seraphim401

Activity: 215

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 07:55:02 PM

America may have won the war of Independence but were quickly invaded again by stealth via the Fed money system that has its roots in the UK banking system. As a result, the US is simply a 'corporation' of the UK and most Americans dont even realise it. Quite ingenious really.
Nice to be on a forum where people understand that.I myself woke up that fact only about a year ago.

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:02:12 PM

What is the alternative though?  Yes, the spending has gotten out of hand but if you're really going to attack the root of the system, there needs to be a viable alternative.  Can you name a single successful economy that doesn't use fractional reserve banking?

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:28:05 PM

The Federal Reserve creates money out of nothing.  It is a four step process:

1. The Federal Open Market Committee approves the purchase of United States Bonds.
2. The bonds are purchased by the Federal Reserve.
3. The Federal Reserve pays for these bonds with electronic credits to the seller's bank, these credits are based on nothing.
4. The banks use these deposits as reserves.  They can loan out over ten times the amount of their reserves to new borrowers, all at interest.

It's a house of cards..

http://www.iamthewitness.com/DarylBradfordSmith_Bankers.htm

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:53:20 PM

The Federal Reserve creates money out of nothing.  It is a four step process:

1. The Federal Open Market Committee approves the purchase of United States Bonds.
2. The bonds are purchased by the Federal Reserve.
3. The Federal Reserve pays for these bonds with electronic credits to the seller's bank, these credits are based on nothing.
4. The banks use these deposits as reserves.  They can loan out over ten times the amount of their reserves to new borrowers, all at interest.

It's a house of cards..

http://www.iamthewitness.com/DarylBradfordSmith_Bankers.htm

Yes, what you've described is fractional-reserve banking.  I'm aware of how the system works.  I'm asking you what is your proposal for an alternative.  Even Islamic banking, which prohibits profit from interest, has aspects of fractional-reserve banking.  So I ask again, can you provide an example of a current successful economy/country that does not employ fractional-reserve banking?

Please don't construe this is an attack.  To my knowledge there are none but I recognize the fact that I can (and often times am) wrong.  What I see is a system that has been corrupted and needs to be repaired.  I don't necessarily see the need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:56:51 PM

What is the alternative though?  Yes, the spending has gotten out of hand but if you're really going to attack the root of the system, there needs to be a viable alternative.  Can you name a single successful economy that doesn't use fractional reserve banking?
'Fractional Reserve Banking' isn't synonymous with 'Federal Reserve Banking', although it abbreviates the same.
The 'state', be it federal or not, is quite able to do the fractional banking all by herself and earn a lot of money in the process, which can be used for useful public works, instead of building up debts with private banks.
In fact, the American Constitution gives 'the congress' (i.e. NOT the private Federal Reserve) the sole right to create money.
Oldminer
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 08:59:48 PM

Yes, what you've described is fractional-reserve banking.  I'm aware of how the system works.  I'm asking you what is your proposal for an alternative.  Even Islamic banking, which prohibits profit from interest, has aspects of fractional-reserve banking.  So I ask again, can you provide an example of a current successful economy/country that does not employ fractional-reserve banking?

Please don't construe this is an attack.  To my knowledge there are none but I recognize the fact that I can (and often times am) wrong.  What I see is a system that has been corrupted and needs to be repaired.  I don't necessarily see the need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sorry, I took a while with my last post which wasn't in response to your post Smiley

However, in response to your question - I don't know of one. To find one you would need to find a (successful) economic system that isnt tainted by the UK banking monopolists. And last time I looked, there wasn't a corner of the globe thats free of their tentacles. In other words, if there was a viable alternative its since been 'colonised' & corrupted.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: