Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:56:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 162 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement: Bitmain launches AntMiner solution, 0.68 J/GH on chip  (Read 368069 times)
Aexcu

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:10:42 PM

OK,

I'm now probably running the very first BITMAIN AntMiner S1-180GH/s here in Northern Europe, so I decided to write a small summary of my own findings with the device. (Question: Is there a minimum operating temperature for the AntMiner? I might have to arrange some heating for it.. :-))

First impressions:

• Like mentioned on the first auction thread, I had the device in my hands in less than 72 hours from BTC transfer to BITMAIN. Over the weekend. Impressive.
  • Packaging quality was up to my expectations, there was a liftable full foam cover in the box and the AntMiner was properly tugged inside an antistatic bag.
  • There was no documentation included, but I wasn't expecting any either as this was the auction unit from a first batch and there was infos on this board.
  • The device feels solid, I have no complaints on the build quality. From a quick inspection, I cannot find anything wrong in it having done some amateur soldering myself, I can immediately state that this is professionally built.
  • The wiring work required (power) was somewhat of a chore, as the modular power supply I bought (for running 2 of these) happened to have all black cabling. BITMAIN may want to consider female PCI-E connectors on board in the future instead. Still, the wires were easy to connect to the boards, as you can screw them tight.
  • Connecting to the device was a non-issue, just change your computer IP to match the same subnet and interconnect with an Ethernet-cable, go to the address on the sticker with your browser and you're there after giving root/root as login and password.
  • Configuring the device was easy, there was quite a bit more menus than what I had expected to find.
  • I did run into a small problem with the "Miner configuration" as I experienced an infinite saving loop after a "Save As", but a power recycle got me past the issue and a later "Save As" worked fine.
  • After having received its new WAN-address (yes, I went to configure LAN before this and found it already configurated as "DHCP Client", but decided to do a "Save As" just in case anyway), the device started mining in a pool of my choice (as an example, I tried Slush's pool with success).
  • The device controls fan speeds. When mining it steadily started ramping up fan speed in stages and the temperature seems to stay between 43-45. Opening a window made it slow the fan back down (freezing outside here).
  • The sound-level is bearable, but I wouldn't keep the AntMiner necessarily out in the open in my room.
  • This particular AntMiner seems to mine between 179.37 GH/s (average) at least during this 1h test run while I am going through the menus. The rate seems to go down slightly whenever I access the device's functions.
  • EDIT: After proofreading this post, I re-checked and now it runs at 178.71 GH/s (avg). So it seems to deliver too. I haven't yet delved into the further statistics. It's getting quite late here.

Here's also a link to some pictures (includes also a special one for merv77):

https://app.younited.com/?shareObject=c055afa4-820d-6b7f-e500-3e9b4ab3c28f

My rating 4.75/5 so far. This device has potential while it may not be cheap.

Remark: I'll be giving my very first (mining pool) block earning as a reward to the user Sushi, as he/she/they have done a good job spreading some tactical knowledge on the product actually existing. I wouldn't have registered here and bought the AntMiner otherwise. Hope to see more reviews from you guys. Thank you.
Ridicuss

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:25:35 PM

Thanks man!! Smiley

Man, I wish I could change my avatar!
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:26:08 PM

https://app.younited.com/?shareObject=c055afa4-820d-6b7f-e500-3e9b4ab3c28f

OMG all your cables are black, that must be a nightmare to work with.  Cheesy

kmtan

Activity: 196

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:56:25 PM

Kickass ! Thanks dude ! They working out well for you so far ? Performing as expected ? Wireless work OK ?

These miner are working well, performing well, generate outcome as per calculation. I didn't test for the wireless as i don't have the antenna.

sushi

Activity: 238

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:19:26 AM

Congratulation to all the auction winners!

Wi-Fi works but On the 1st batch, try not to use the built-in WI-FI  feature.  It may slow down your AntMiner a little bit.

If the Wi-Fi is the only way you can connect to the Internet, please use some kind of the Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge!  this setup will make AntMiner to think it's connected to the Internet via the network cable and will not slow down the hashing!

I'm sure all of us are into hashing to make profit.  even a few santos I difference, it will add up in a few months!

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:26:57 AM

If the Wi-Fi is the only way you can connect to the Internet, please use some kind of the Wi-Fi to Ethernet bridge!  this setup will make AntMiner to think it's connected to the Internet via the network cable and will not slow down the hashing!

I've been tossing dd-wrt on Linksys wireless routers to turn them into bridges for my Ethernet based miners. Thanks for the insight ! Will be sure to run the AntMiner over ethernet once it arrives.

Cheers !
merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:39:25 AM

Now this is perfect proof, and I appreciate making me famous  Cool Cool Cool

thanks for review and pics
good luck with mining
Cheers
merv77
itamidensha

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:10:56 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 01:46:37 PM by itamidensha

HELP!

I just received my unit (won in the first auction).
I've been through the setup as per sushi's instructions but the unit isn't mining!

the Status/Miner Status section just shows "This section contains no values" for everything...  Embarrassed

Is there a button somewhere to press to get it to connect to the pool and start mining???

EDIT : The miner works fine - this turned out to be a PSU problem. Buy a decent quality PSU guys!

1Bs49wsYJLUP9Xcj5hPKcvub9vUAe2GF1F
sushi

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:30:16 AM

Hey, I replied on the forum and also sent you PM if you need help.  I'll be around for a few more hours as I update the setup guide.

Give me a shout if you want!

HELP!

I've been through the setup as per sushi's instructions but the unit isn't mining!

the Status/Miner Status section just shows "This section contains no values" for everything...  Embarrassed

Is there a button somewhere to press to get it to connect to the pool and start mining???

merv77

Activity: 574

1.21 GIGA WATTS

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:18:52 AM

Hey, I replied on the forum and also sent you PM if you need help.  I'll be around for a few more hours as I update the setup guide.

Give me a shout if you want!

HELP!

the Status/Miner Status section just shows "This section contains no values" for everything...  Embarrassed

with the high price the miner was you'd think that Bitmain should be offering 24/7 support for the next 10 years minimum
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:26:51 AM

Now this is perfect proof, and I appreciate making me famous  Cool Cool Cool

thanks for review and pics
good luck with mining
Cheers
merv77

I wouldnt use "perfect":
Date Registered:   November 21, 2013, 06:34:21 AM

Dont get me wrong, I dont think this is a scam (if it is, its by far the best one so far), but thought Id point it out anyway.
Meizirkki

Activity: 616

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:40:13 AM

I wouldnt use "perfect":
Date Registered:   November 21, 2013, 06:34:21 AM

Dont get me wrong, I dont think this is a scam (if it is, its by far the best one so far), but thought Id point it out anyway.
..I wouldn't have registered here and bought the AntMiner otherwise....
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:50:13 AM

BTW, if I had one, I would try a makeshift case for it for better airflow. Judging by the pics, its unlikely the air from the fan will travel well across the entire device and cooler. Make a shroud from cardboard or even cellophane to force the air to travel across the length of the entire device, and I suspect the fan will be able to run at lower speed.
sushi

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:05:26 AM

BTW, if I had one, I would try a makeshift case for it for better airflow. Judging by the pics, its unlikely the air from the fan will travel well across the entire device and cooler. Make a shroud from cardboard or even cellophane to force the air to travel across the length of the entire device, and I suspect the fan will be able to run at lower speed.

Agree!  I was going to try that and see...

Ommid

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:21:19 AM

Hello all,

I asked one of my Chinese friend who lives in China, Shenzhen (The city that Bitmain claims their factory is located in) to call them and Buy one Antminer Unit from their Taobao Store.
(You can find their store link in one their posts:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=340071.msg3648732#msg3648732 )
And here are their contact info my friend tried to communicate with:
Ali Wang Wang: 比特大陆:李盈斐
Ali Wang Wang: 比特大陆:范晓俊
QQ: 8133455
QQ: 800022357
QQ: 9161403
Phone Number: 18611720733
Phone Number: 18911677899

They announced they will put up 30 units at 21:00, 23 November for sale. They crossed 20,000 CNY and priced the units for 18,500 CNY.
My Chinese friend (who is familiar with Taobao website and usually buys from it) tried to buy one but after some unsuccessful attempt he said "they are just showing off that people are buying from their store and there is not any actual sale. They don't let me to buy and they are actually using their Taobao store to advertise their validity". And as my Chinese friend claims no one is able to buy anything from their Taobao shop.

I am emphasizing that my Chinese friend tried to buy from their Taobao store on the exact time they announced and tried it for two of their announcements.

I just hope my Chinese friend and I are wrong in our guess that they are scam.
dan99

Activity: 406

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:39:48 AM

This is not a scam I am sure, those who won on the auction are already running them, the way they market their product is another matter. Judging from the respond from the China market is so huge  they could easily sell them out in China market alone.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4144
Merit: 1637

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 11:45:07 AM

I was contacted by Bitmain and should be getting hardware soon all going to plan. I'll keep you posted.
I've received a tracking number Smiley

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
sushi

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:59:20 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2013, 12:20:17 PM by sushi

I told you, if they said they will send you the AntMiner, they will.  They are a huge group of good hard working and honest tech guys and gals!  They may be out of China but the professional experiences they have are amazing.  I wish I could list those companies where their group of techs came from but I can't for the privacy issues.  They are multi-lingual techs, too!

But may be you'll get a box of floor tiles...   Grin

Now, some of you "Meanies" can pay up for calling me SCAM   Grin Grin Grin

I'll kindly accept the donation!

Now I have our eyes set on a few companies to go visit and got their approvals.  Again these will be another international flights and will cost a few BTC in the near future...

I was contacted by Bitmain and should be getting hardware soon all going to plan. I'll keep you posted.

BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:10:19 PM

I also offered to review their unit and got a tracking number too.
Will have it tomorrow evening CET with a bit of luck.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
giletto

Activity: 812

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:35:49 PM

Hello all,

I asked one of my Chinese friend who lives in China, Shenzhen (The city that Bitmain claims their factory is located in) to call them and Buy one Antminer Unit from their Taobao Store.
(You can find their store link in one their posts:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=340071.msg3648732#msg3648732 )
And here are their contact info my friend tried to communicate with:
Ali Wang Wang: 比特大陆:李盈斐
Ali Wang Wang: 比特大陆:范晓俊
QQ: 8133455
QQ: 800022357
QQ: 9161403
Phone Number: 18611720733
Phone Number: 18911677899

They announced they will put up 30 units at 21:00, 23 November for sale. They crossed 20,000 CNY and priced the units for 18,500 CNY.
My Chinese friend (who is familiar with Taobao website and usually buys from it) tried to buy one but after some unsuccessful attempt he said "they are just showing off that people are buying from their store and there is not any actual sale. They don't let me to buy and they are actually using their Taobao store to advertise their validity". And as my Chinese friend claims no one is able to buy anything from their Taobao shop.

I am emphasizing that my Chinese friend tried to buy from their Taobao store on the exact time they announced and tried it for two of their announcements.

I just hope my Chinese friend and I are wrong in our guess that they are scam.

Mate, take a look around...all got the miner already...and for buy you must understand, is not a factory like apple. Just a few ppl, so they can't produce 10.000 pcs on one day. I order 2 pcs today, at taobao without any problem.

█████
                       █████████████
                    █████████████
                ██████████████        █████
             █████████████        ████████████
         ██████████████        █████████████
      █████████████        █████████████       ██████
      ██████████        ████████████           ██████
      ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
      ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
      ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
      █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
      █████████████       █████████████        ██████
      ██████████       █████████████           ██████
      ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
      ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
      ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
      ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
      ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
      ██████           █████████████       ██████████
      ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                █████████████       █████████████
             ████████████        █████████████
                 ████         ████████████
                          █████████████
                        ███████████
                           █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 162 »
  Print  

Jump to: