Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:31:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public Message for Tradehill  (Read 3592 times)
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:35:08 AM

...and that's why I felt compelled to pull my admittedly meager funds out immediately.

Sadly I will be contacting all those that I have recommended TH to to recant.

How embarassing two in one week! Sheesh.

I've read your posts and I honestly don't understand what TradeHill did wrong to you.
All I read is how much you hate them and pulling your money out.
May I ask why?

You have read my posts and came up with that conclusion? May I suggest you go back and re-read them, this time for content?

I *love* how open they (TH) have been during this process. I take Dwolla as the bad guy here. But the fact is I have no safe way to get money into or out of TradeHill now unless I am willing to write a check for $10,000. I don't have those kinds of funds available to me nowadays.

Sheesh!

Some people would consider a Wire transfer safe, but not you....

I am not "some people". I have initiated scored of wire transfers, most of which have been less than satisfying processes, especially when considering the fees involved. I have also initiated scores of transactions with four different brokerage houses who all accepted my mailed checks and mailed me checks gladly at NO EXTRA CHARGE.

TradeHill is not a brokerage house.
However, under the Dwolla circumstances I do agree with you. They should temporarily figure out a way to accommodate you.
Have you tried contacting them directly? I know from experience they will jump over hoops for their customers.

Like I said I was completely *shocked* the answer was not "sure we'd be glad to".

I like them both, but that was 100% the wrong way to treat a concerned customer, no matter how insignificant I am at this time.

To their credit the btc arrived in my wallet within minutes, not the 24 hours I had feared based on the wording on the website.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:38:22 AM

...and that's why I felt compelled to pull my admittedly meager funds out immediately.

Sadly I will be contacting all those that I have recommended TH to to recant.

How embarassing two in one week! Sheesh.

I've read your posts and I honestly don't understand what TradeHill did wrong to you.
All I read is how much you hate them and pulling your money out.
May I ask why?

You have read my posts and came up with that conclusion? May I suggest you go back and re-read them, this time for content?

I *love* how open they (TH) have been during this process. I take Dwolla as the bad guy here. But the fact is I have no safe way to get money into or out of TradeHill now unless I am willing to write a check for $10,000. I don't have those kinds of funds available to me nowadays.

Sheesh!

Some people would consider a Wire transfer safe, but not you....

I am not "some people". I have initiated scored of wire transfers, most of which have been less than satisfying processes, especially when considering the fees involved. I have also initiated scores of transactions with four different brokerage houses who all accepted my mailed checks and mailed me checks gladly at NO EXTRA CHARGE.

TradeHill is not a brokerage house.
However, under the Dwolla circumstances I do agree with you. They should temporarily figure out a way to accommodate you.
Have you tried contacting them directly? I know from experience they will jump over hoops for their customers.

Like I said I was completely *shocked* the answer was not "sure we'd be glad to".

I like them both, but that was 100% the wrong way to treat a concerned customer, no matter how insignificant I am at this time.

As you said, "may I suggest you re-read my post"
I will repeat my comment for you, Have you tried contacting them DIRECTLY and not making a post on this forum like you are king of the world.

at least give them a few days to make their final Dwolla withdrawals. At that point, you can be completely done with it.

Although I would LOVE for this to be the case, its just not possible. We're talking about hundrends of thousands of dollars. Should TradeHill risk all these funds and trust Dwolla when they have already screwed us?

Really? Again, assuming that Dwolla has not given Tradehill's account a complete negative balance (which they have not reported officially), how is Tradehill "risking all of these funds" by doing the following:

User A withdraws $1000 USD via Dwolla to Dwolla account xxx-xxx-xxx.

Tradehill adds $1000 USD funds to Dwolla account via bank transfer, sends money to User A.

User A withdraws money into personal bank account.

Done. Assuming Tradehill does not have a negative balance, they can do this just fine.

TradeHill cannot send a single dollar to Dwolla until Dwolla reimburses them the money they are owed and commits to no future chargebacks based on past transactions.
Would you continue doing business with your accountant if you find out he was skimming money from you?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
newMeat1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:38:41 AM

Your mistake was going public with it, Smalls. Why did you do that? If they said "Yes, we take checks", they would have effectively made that promise to everybody. There would have been all kinds of fraud. Now, if you had contacted them privately in the first place-- probably would have been no problem,

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:39:46 AM

Your mistake was going public with it, Smalls. Why did you do that? If they said "Yes, we take checks", they would have effectively made that promise to everybody. There would have been all kinds of fraud. Now, if you had contacted them privately in the first place-- probably would have been no problem,

THANK YOU for explaining to him what I have been trying to say. He obviously didn't read my comments.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:41:39 AM

Foolish me for thinking you had sudenly turned polite.

Any firm that can not answer such a simple question as to their ability of sending checks back and for payments in public does not deserve my business.

Your hole just got pretty damned deep too. Good luck to you sir.

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:43:33 AM

Wow! Taking checks now exposes one to fraud? That's a new one on me. Never dreamed it would have to be a dirty little secret just between me and them.

I was trying my best to find reasons to recommend them.

newMeat1

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:44:41 AM

You also would have issues with people writing $2 checks and stuff like that. There are reasons why many stores don't accept checks either

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:45:22 AM

Wow! Taking checks now exposes one to fraud? That's a new one on me. Never dreamed it would have to be a dirty little secret just between me and them.

I was trying my best to find reasons to recommend them.

Pardon my politeness but REALLY???

LOL he wasn't saying it exposes YOU to fraud, it exposes them to fraud.

And yes, check fraud is a real thing. Google it.

You also would have issues with people writing $2 checks and stuff like that. There are reasons why many stores don't accept checks either

True, thats a really good point! Another reason why accepting checks is a bad idea.

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:46:59 AM

Sir, I am old and have done business with thousands of people and firms and waiting for a check to clear is standard business practice all over the usa.

Like your buddy said, google it.

delson (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 02:49:51 AM

The least Tradehill can do is offer an acceptable alternate bank transfer means for customers that are unable to use Dwolla. If they refuse to re-add it, I propose the following solutions:

A) Wire the money to us directly. You cover the costs on your end of the wire, and my end of the wire (because my bank charges for incoming wires). I will pay you the $0.25 that I would have paid with the Dwolla transaction.
B) Transfer the money for us into Mt Gox, and send us a Mt Gox payment in exchange for our complete Tradehill balance. Mt Gox still accepts Dwolla transfers.
C) Write us a check for our balance and mail it! It is ridiculous that they are not cutting a check to Smalleyster, check fraud or not...after what they did.

It isn't very fair for customers who depend on Dwolla to be stuck holding the bag for the exorbitant Paxium fees/general intrusiveness and wire fees. Offer us a way out.

NF6X

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 03:03:25 AM

C) Write us a check for our balance and mail it! It is ridiculous that they are not cutting a check to Smalleyster, check fraud or not...after what they did.

Even though I've been critical of your posts in this thread, I think I agree with you on that point. There are many reasons to prefer not to do business with checks, but it seems to me that cutting checks to customers as a temporary stop-gap measure in this extraordinary situation is appropriate.
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:08:13 AM

Oh great now I have to start a paxum account just to get my leftover balance out......

NF6X

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 03:13:06 AM

Oh great now I have to start a paxum account just to get my leftover balance out......

Maybe this is a dumb question, since I'm not presently a user of either Tradehill or Paxum so I don't know all of the details. If you don't want to have to open a Paxum account, then couldn't you trade your leftover balance into BTC and then withdraw that to your wallet?
AtlasONo

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:17:18 AM

Yes you could. Tradehill USD> btc >mtgox usd>dwolla>your bank is the cheapest option now if I'm reading things right Roll Eyes

edit: Paxum fees are crazy
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 03:19:09 AM

Maybe this is a dumb question, since I'm not presently a user of either Tradehill or Paxum so I don't know all of the details. If you don't want to have to open a Paxum account, then couldn't you trade your leftover balance into BTC and then withdraw that to your wallet?

That's exactly what I did.

NF6X

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 03:20:25 AM

I thought that I heard rumblings about MtGox dropping Dwolla while skimming the TH/Dwolla threads. Might need to hurry before that path is closed?
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 03:23:05 AM

I thought that I heard rumblings about MtGox dropping Dwolla while skimming the TH/Dwolla threads. Might need to hurry before that path is closed?

I'll pull that trigger as soon as that bird flies.

delson (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:31:43 AM

Mt. Gox says they won't drop Dwolla at any time in the near future (recently, as of yesterday) link: https://support.mtgox.com/entries/20317238-announcement-dwolla-transfer-option-will-remain-available
So that will remain open.

On the point of converting to BTC: You are then taking a risk, which I'd rather not take. It will take an hour or more for the BTC to get to you from tradehill. Then another 1-2 hours to get to Mt Gox to get back to USD. What if the market tumbles during that time period? I want the USD that is owed to me, in full.
AtlasONo

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:35:40 AM

Unlikely but true.

Thanks for making this thread, I totally forgot I put a couple bucks in TH.
NF6X

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 03:38:50 AM

On the point of converting to BTC: You are then taking a risk, which I'd rather not take. It will take an hour or more for the BTC to get to you from tradehill. Then another 1-2 hours to get to Mt Gox to get back to USD. What if the market tumbles during that time period? I want the USD that is owed to me, in full.

Uh, by that reckoning, if you had started the process when you created this thread, you'd probably already have your USD...  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: