Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:27:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [LEAKED] Private Bitcoin Foundation Discussions On Blacklisting, more (ZIP dump)  (Read 61112 times)
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 05:00:38 PM

didn't we already establish that Bitcoin is not p2p?

OK - I get you: Bitcoin is not P2P and its value does not come from hashing, but rather from fooling people..

Any other original thoughts you have to share?

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bloods-n-cryptos

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:28:23 PM

The bottom line is,

if any one of you think that any system that is value in BILLIONS of USD is ever going to remain "uncontrolled" you are seriously delusional.

Bitcoin = Money

Money = Power

If not the Bitcoin Foundation, then another.

There will always be a desire and battle to control it.

~BCX~

This is true.

That said, decentralizing development by moving it away from centralized developers to make it objectively community-driven could be a step in the right direction.
https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/3449-decentralizing-development-through-vanity-voting/

Any information provided in my posts is for educational purposes only and is not to be considered legal advice, but you already knew that.
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:10:33 PM

didn't we already establish that Bitcoin is not p2p?

OK - I get you: Bitcoin is not P2P and its value does not come from hashing, but rather from fooling people..

Any other original thoughts you have to share?

not really sure what's happened since yesterday, but suddenly seems you're in favor of blacklists?

did you get a PM invite to become a second-tier Bitcoin superfriend?  Suddenly Blacklists are 'for our own protection'? 

the technology could go one of two ways:

1) they manage to introduce sufficient controls, then they keep the price afloat, people continue to use thinking it's 'cool' or whatever meanwhile they actually have less privacy than Dwolla, but believe otherwise.

2) they dont put in the controls due to community resistance, and subsequently the price of Bitcoin plummets and all the 'experts' on here pretend that they predicted this all along.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:17:55 PM

Sorry mam, but the more I read you, the clearer it is to me that you are talking only bullshit.

In fact, I do support all kind of blacklists.
One example would be a list containing all the people who I do not take seriously.
And you've just got subscribed to this one. Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
bluemeanie1

Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:21:38 PM

Sorry mam, but the more I read you, the clearer it is to me that you are talking only bullshit.

In fact, I do support all kind of blacklists.
One example would be a list containing all the people who I do not take seriously.
And you've just got subscribed to this one. Smiley

seems you NEVER address my points.

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:40:22 PM

Right - I don't address you points. that's probably true.
But how do you expect people to address bullshit like "bitcoin is not p2p" or "you cannot create value by computing hashes"?

Your points are in some abstract fantasy land, where my imagination cannot even reach them.
I'm just a human being - unable to address things that I cannot perceive.

PsySec

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:46:47 PM

thanks for the leak op!
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:49:24 PM

Right - I don't address you points. that's probably true.
But how do you expect people to address bullshit like "bitcoin is not p2p" or "you cannot create value by computing hashes"?

Your points are in some abstract fantasy land, where my imagination cannot even reach them.
I'm just a human being - unable to address things that I cannot perceive.

Seems to me that:

- Bitcoin is less and less 'p2p', and is threatening to become vastly less so in the future.

- 'Computing hashes' is just a means of accomplishing proof-of-work and facilitating the necessary book-keeping work in the system.  It is no more special than that and is distinctly NOT what creates value in the Bitcoin system.  Nor is it the only way to achieve the goals in a general sense.

I don't consider either of these two of they guy's points to be 'bullshit'.  Try again.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:56:15 PM

Gents, I really don't have time for this bullshit.
If you have any question to me, try to express it in a way that I would understand.
Otherwise just give me a break, because I am not here to prove anything to you.
I said what I had to say and that's it - you don't like it, not my problem.

tolega

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:17:27 PM

Came here to see honest enlightening arguments...

Leaving disappointed.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 09:25:00 PM

What is the Bitcoin foundation?

The more I read about the entities that are getting involved with Bitcoin the muddier my picture of Bitcoin gets.

You say Bitcoin is decentralized? It is not and will never be as long as there's someone pulling the strings behind the scenes.
Whether it's an entity within the network (a large pool), a shady wall-street investor or the big brother foundation...

Where is the long term plan posted? Where is the list of planned features? Where do I send my feature suggestions? Where is the open discussion?
Where are the miners in all of this? Are we just dumb, cheap labor?

So long as the strings are held by enough people, that is decentralization.  Where they get tied into ropes are the problems.  If you have a private key and a mining rig, you have an untangled string.

Most your questions have been adequately and repeatedly answered.  If you can read code, even better than google, hop on github.  Feature suggestion - pull request.  Most people aren't in the group that can be useful there.  Consequently the "Very Open Discussion".... most of which is more open than is useful, as incredible amounts of time are used by people-that-know-stuff explaining to people-that-don't-know-how-to-find-answers. 

There is some utility to this VOD process at this stage of the project (which is still beta) because the "issue identifiers" (complainers) are still giving enough useful input to the "issue resolvers" (people that make things) to be of some valuable guidance.
And there are plenty of us around the edges that can talk to both.  When you are at the point of identifying a novel issue that hasn't been addressed, you get tremendous acclaim and hatred.

The automatic and persistent KYC proposals are in that category.  There is a problem, some solutions to that problem may make it worse, and so it will be hotly debated.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
coinrevo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:11:29 AM

Some form of regulation and control is coming, like it or not.
~BCX~

Regulation by whom? bitcoin can move wherever it wants. this only makes sense if you're completely US centric and blind to the impact cryptocurrencies can have on the world.

I've read through the posts at TBF, and what people say there is completely opposed to bitcoin the ideal. we need more developers/enthusiasts outside of the US.
tolega

Activity: 196

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:58:32 PM

If US and The Bitcoin Foundation create come kind of regulations then me plus every other non-American will jump ship.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:57:12 PM

OK above two posters, lemme ask you this:

Say you live happily in Bumfuckistan.  I can pay you in two different things:

- BTC which can be used to buy trinkets from Amazon. (no taint.)

- BTC which cannot be used to buy trinkets from Amazon.  (tainted.)

Remember that if you accept the BTC, you will also be asking the same question of whoever you are trying to pay the BTC to so it's not a matter of whether you yourself intend to buy trinkets from Amazon or not.

Unless you are full of shit, your answer will be that you would prefer the non-tainted coins.

Now we have a situation where tainted coins are not only useless for buying trinkets from Amazon, but are also devalued by everyone else no matter where they are or what their plans are.  This further damages BTC which are tainted.  It is a bit of a vicious cycle.  The tainted BTC will have some real-world value, but it will be less than the non-tainted BTC.  Perhaps much less.

Tainting BTC in this manner does not require the participation of the Bitcoin developers.  Mostly just that they do nothing significant to protect against taint.  (This is one of the most significant defects of Bitcoin's architecture in my opinion.)  As it happens, it seems that for whatever reason the Bitcoin Foundation is more likely to help tainting authorities than to hinder them.

Effective tainting also requires that at least one semi-major player honors the output of a tainting authority to get the ball rolling, but this is trivial when a US or International corporation gets involved.  Just threaten to put the CEO in jail which seems to be exactly what happened with Yahoo! and why they joined PRISM and handed bulk customer data over to the NSA.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Interized

Merit: 250

Coolness: ∞

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:01:04 PM

Micon I demand more hilarious videos during the down time.

Just so we know the FEDS didn't capture you.

Nice piece brah.

Gold isn't the answer.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:27:16 PM

Tainting BTC in this manner does not require the participation of the Bitcoin developers.  Mostly just that they do nothing significant to protect against taint.
So many people fail to acknowledge inaction as a viable attack route in their threat models.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:39:55 PM

Who makes the decision on what is a tainted coin??

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:01:21 PM

Anyone the U.S. government chooses.  My guess is that it will be these guys:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:30:26 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/11/13/sanitizing-bitcoin-coin-validation/

What if users don't accept this method of coin validation?
What about international users?

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:58:53 PM

What if users don't accept this method of coin validation?
What about international users?

See a few posts above:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=334520.msg4691189#msg4691189

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: