Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:15:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you preparing for an Economic Collapse/Great Depression 2.0?  (Read 3170 times)
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:42:19 AM

That moringa thing, could you realistically grow it on a 30 feet boat? Been wondering about self-sustainability out to sea, got everything except food (theoretically) covered.
I've heard that there are plenty of fish in the sea...
Certainly, but I'm a lousy fisherman and I don't wanna have to gut fish every day.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 12:42:54 AM

That moringa thing, could you realistically grow it on a 30 feet boat? Been wondering about self-sustainability out to sea, got everything except food (theoretically) covered.
Certainly, but I'm a lousy fisherman and I don't wanna have to gut fish every day.

do you have a desalination device? you'd just need a heat source and it'd be like unlimited water.. you'd just need food and boat maintenance gear.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 01:31:49 AM

I can't imagine any event(s) that would force me to go to the ocean.  Unless it was to get to the other side.
Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:45:27 AM

do you have a desalination device? you'd just need a heat source and it'd be like unlimited water.. you'd just need food and boat maintenance gear.
Yeah, they begin at about $2k and up and use a surprisingly low amount of energy.

Ibian
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 07:47:33 AM

I can't imagine any event(s) that would force me to go to the ocean.  Unless it was to get to the other side.
The most likely enemy in the event of a collapse is the state. So, that might not be such a bad idea. But assuming the only problems are zombie hordes of angry welfare rioters, a boat is as safe a place as you can be.

Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:07:08 AM

Collapse or not there's some obvious trends not to ignore.

#1 - QE, and the devaluation of the dollar.  This only concentrates wealth further in the hands of the rich, eroding the middle class day by day.

#2 - Greater Government control of every aspect of life.  Every failing government ceases more and more control on their way down.

#3 - The centralization and degradation of the food supply.  Monsanto and factory farming have destroyed the food supply.  And we are seeing rampant chronic disease as a result.

These are trends that aren't going to turn anytime soon.

How to plan for these:)

- The obvious:  Move money into crypto's & precious metals.

- Start growing your own food & raising your own egg laying hens (this can be done in urban centers if you know what you're doing).  That's the only way you can ensure you're getting quality food now.  If you want your family to be disease-free we have reached that point.  You simply cannot get quality food from the grocery store any longer.  You have to grow/raise it yourself.

- Diversify outside the country.  If doable, buy property outside the USSA.  The writing is on the wall.  Government control is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  Better to have an escape hatch if needed.

Get a second or third passport if possible.

All these are prudent moves regardless of what happens.  And you'll only be better off even if nothing happens.

beetcoin (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 08:12:11 AM

i've asked some people this same question, and they look at me as a kook. they've lived their lives with a decent enough economy not to feel the impact that a depression would cause.. it's just what happens when you are generations removed from severe poverty and dystopia.

all it takes is someone who is cognizant of history's tendency to repeat itself.
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
Last edit: November 21, 2013, 04:39:51 PM by Spendulus

I can't imagine any event(s) that would force me to go to the ocean.  Unless it was to get to the other side.
The most likely enemy in the event of a collapse is the state. So, that might not be such a bad idea. But assuming the only problems are zombie hordes of angry welfare rioters, a boat is as safe a place as you can be.
So forget the idea of growing plants, and bask in the glory of gutting fish as you practice techniques for gutting zombie hordes of angry welfare rioters.

Must be some way of exchanging fish for fresh oranges......making it easier for everyone as the zombie hordes don't need to surge out into the ocean to try to eat you, and the surplus of fish that you easily catch could go to them, and you could get oranges and other goodies from the land.

Naw...that'd never work....

LOL....
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 04:44:30 PM

...snip...

- Diversify outside the country.  If doable, buy property outside the USSA.  The writing is on the wall.  Government control is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  Better to have an escape hatch if needed.

...snip...

Where would you move to?  And if its better run than the US, why are you waiting? 
Sage

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 09:46:29 PM

...snip...

...snip...

Where would you move to?  And if its better run than the US, why are you waiting? 

Already exited the USSA.  Too much like Nazi Germany for me.  I reached my breaking point years ago.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2013, 11:26:51 PM

...snip...

...snip...

Already exited the USSA.  Too much like Nazi Germany for me.  I reached my breaking point years ago.

I would hate to live in the USA as well.  Where did you move to?
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 12:21:23 AM

I would hate to live in the USA as well.  Where did you move to?
There's Texas and Alaska.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 04:55:23 AM

I have researched Earth Ships.  Pretty cool for self sustained living.  I can't say I worry about it too much though.  I have a stock-pile in the garage but that is only because I can't pass up a good bargain when I see one.  Grin

http://earthship.com/

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 08:26:03 AM

I am looking to become more international, I am working toward making it so I can work solely on the Internet with no requirement of location.

That way I could get a small apartment in some Asian country for a few months, Costa Rica for a few more, go to conferences when they come up, etc.

Or just live wherever people will accept bitcoins.

The key is to cut down on possessions. I have a storage unit in the US that I some day need to go in and clear out to get rid of most of it.

Eventually I would like to be one of the first people living on a seastead. I have indicated my willingness to a few of the projects in the works and hope one of them works out.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:27:32 AM

Eventually I would like to be one of the first people living on a seastead. I have indicated my willingness to a few of the projects in the works and hope one of them works out.

The things one can do with enough BTC.  Grin

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 03:55:20 AM

Leave the USA:

Sure but it makes is a lot less likely in my opinion, in fact I can imagine Americans turning on each other as massive propaganda campaigns would route out the new [insert communist/terrorist here] threat. To be honest who needs to use military when you can cut of the food/water/electricity supply in the blink of an eye. Police are probably the most dangerous and less likely to not rebel I think, I have little faith those.  

In Libya the aircraft pilots dropped their bombs and missed on purpose because they didn't want to carry out their orders and bomb innocent people who were just fighting for their lives, honestly, I know there are people on the internet who think the government are this big scary totalitarian regime but the fact is the majority of the time it's a sociopath against the rest of the world and usually the rest of the world bands together to stop them.

That said we've gone a bit off topic, but anyway yeah, picking a Bitcoin friendly country is a good idea, not sure what I'm going to do here in the UK with what's going on right now.

Sooner or later, the police state jackboots will mess with the wrong vet, a well-connected and highly-respected vet who didn't watch his buddies die face down in the sand just to return home to an unconstitutional empire led by a supreme executive.

Then it's the Battle of Athens, writ large.  Open season on the thug pigs, from Good Guys and Bad Guys alike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_%281946%29

Hands down the underpants Homelove Security is prepared this time as their labeling of you all as terrorists in recent documents is the justification for their funding from Congress to purchase 2714 tank-like armored vehicles and 6 billion hollow point rounds (illegal in war by Hague Convention). All local law enforcement have been deputized as federal police since 2006 and are now under Homelove.

Recent developments on gun control such as an executive order from Obama show that just as in Katrina, they will come to confiscate your weapons in your home and handcuff you (see the videos on linked page, also links to related articles on right pane) even in wealthy neighborhoods to incite you to attack so they can eliminate the resistance.

Katrina was a dry run. There was another dry run during the BP oil disaster.

P.S. I was born in New Orleans. And we survived Hurricane Camile (perhaps as strong as the recent typhoon that hit the Philippines) without the nonsense they did for Katrina. My sister was instrumental in the Louisiana passing a law making it illegal in the future to force people to abandon their animals. My sister personally rescued thousands of animals.

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 11:40:35 AM

Waterworld!  More seriously, I agree, some water filtration might be required but I live in Northern Europe, a rain collection device would be more than enough.
If things got so bad that people take to the sea, I would probably question if it is worth trying to go on.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 14, 2013, 07:04:05 PM

i have done.. nothing, really. but maybe this thread can be of use to some people who are looking for ideas on what to do in the event of a great economic collapse, which most of us tend to believe is coming within our lifetime.. or even this decade. what are some suggestions? if i were a millionaire, i'd consider it a good investment.

- stockpile some chlorine. in the event of a great economic collapse, clean water will be scarce. you only need a small amount of chlorine to purify water.
- possibly invest in solar panels and renewable energy/resources?
- buy some guns/firearms to protect yourself?

You can't prepare, because as soon as the networks (internet and electricity) are shutting down, the planet will face 500 Fukushimas, but without cooling the reactors and the fuel pools. So, the entire inventory of all nuclear plants will be blown into the atmosphere.
dopey

Activity: 1008
Merit: 514

View Profile
December 18, 2013, 01:04:34 AM

Physical silver and gold coins:)
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: