Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:14:55 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do after being hacked?  (Read 910 times)
Desscount

Activity: 1386
Merit: 101

ComboLabs

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 02:31:06 PM

Hi,

I see a lot of people being hacked or lost money.
I know a transaction is final but can you track them to a exchange?
So you can call the exchange and ask them to hold the wallet or something?

Or can you track them another way?

I hope there will be a good solution for this in crypto.

I recently heard some friends who were hacked for all the assets in their wallets. especially those using MEW
I think it would be very difficult to trace the hacker. I hope there's a lot of renewal and innovation to make it more difficult for hackers to penetrate security. especially that currently happens because dns google has been hacked, the effect of security systems that use the dns are vulnerable stolen

daenarys_stormborn

Activity: 756
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 04:44:35 PM

I do not think there's any other way to recover a hacked asset because it's a very anonymous cryptocurrency, and it's very difficult to trace, with less than an hour, stolen money being transferred to a fiat account

Singwala

Activity: 462
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 04:55:02 PM

Hi,

Yes, you can track it by pasting the wallet address on Blockchain.info or Etherscan if it is an Erc20 token. And the one you can not do is recover it or freeze the wallet because the manufacturer does not control it.

All you have to do to get to it is to know the 64 digit private key of the wallet.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Alfiah

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2018, 05:10:06 PM

you can track the transaction but you can't get your coins back. if you got hacked, it's your personal fault because blockchain is absolutely safe as long as you have the key. you won't get hacked if you more careful.
illiki23

Activity: 602
Merit: 295

Hail Eris!

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 05:12:32 PM

Make sure you change your password on other sites if you happen to use either the same password or variants of the same password.  A very common attack vector is to attempt to use the password from one site after a breach at another site.  For example Bitcointalk was compromised the other year and now anyone who knows anything about purchasing my data in shady ways has the password I used.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███    

██████████

██████    

███████████

███████████████    

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████

na]][/font][/font][/size][/font][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table][/tr
BillCoin

Activity: 476
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 29, 2018, 05:15:20 PM

Even if you are able to track the transaction you can't really do anything about that as the exchange won't reveal someon's identity without any reason.
On the other hand you can learn from the hack to be more careful next time and to hold your important funds in a cold wallet as you can lose your funds if your reveal your private key online, you can only learn a lesson but you won't be able to return your funds.
Arcoin1

Activity: 196

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 06:31:56 AM

There is only one thing that can be done after the attack and it is waiting. There is nothing more to do than to come from the top of the attackers and wait for him to collect it as soon as possible.
mald1to

Activity: 115
Merit: 2

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:12:01 AM

Stand again and tell yourself "I shall rise again and this I will be more careful, more cautious, and more successful". That is the spirit of the one who fails but still wanted to succeed. Be inspired with the story of the man behind KFC who failed and was rejected a thousand times before he succeeded in his life.

▬▬  The FASTEST and MOST SECURE Token Exchange  ▬▬  https://ico.ethershift.co  ▬▬
zanezane

Activity: 868
Merit: 150

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:17:38 AM

Hi,

You can't ask the site to hold the transaction as it's not there responsibility besides you need to prove that it's yours but that can't be the assurance to get your coins back.
You can track them yet you can't do anything about it because at the first place you can't beg to hackers to return your coins. Next time be cautious and mindful to everything you do in your wallet, it's really frustrating to loss all your hard work.

Lintel

Activity: 638
Merit: 300

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:19:22 AM

You can track them in some ways but no other way to get it back. It happen to me before. As much I want to take revenge, I can't do it since I believe it was partially my fault. What can we do is just to move on and make sure it won't happen again. Being cautious is a must.

yes I agree, there is no way to get it back even if you track them. Hackers are hackers they will.leave you with nothing, even you will know who thery are. There's no way to get your money back. you should be careful of your account .keep your password or private key safe.
jasper79

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:20:55 AM

Stand again and tell yourself "I shall rise again and this I will be more careful, more cautious, and more successful". That is the spirit of the one who fails but still wanted to succeed. Be inspired with the story of the man behind KFC who failed and was rejected a thousand times before he succeeded in his life.

Yup but try to recover if not all at least a little of what was stolen from you. But if logic tells you that it is impossible then the only thing left is to let go and learn from it.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:28:42 AM

Mostly if you are hacked, I'm guessing all of your coins in that wallet are gone but if it just so happens that you have some coins left then you should get a new wallet immediately and move you coins there. Make sure you secure it properly and make sure you take all the security steps to secure the new wallet that you did not take with the old wallet. Mainly just be wiser for it and learn from it.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Wayan_Pedjeng

Activity: 913
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:30:34 AM

Hi,

If they use a mixer, then the chances are that you may not be able to trace that transaction to an exchange. Even if you are able to track the hackers, how you are going to recover the coins? Especially if they are located in some foreign country?
michellee

Activity: 2814
Merit: 843

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:30:59 AM

Hi,

although we can track them on the blockchain and we know where the destination wallet but we cannot know who is the thief and we cannot do anything. maybe we only can accept this is the important lesson for us so we can prevent this will not happening again in the future.

maybe we can ask the exchanges to hold the wallet but if our fund is on the exchanges, I think it is hard for us to makes them believe that we are the real owner of that funds.

we need to be careful in this crypto and always take care of our account because if we enjoy in the crypto world, then we need to secure our account too.

Sonajin_Coin

Activity: 35

View Profile WWW
April 30, 2018, 07:36:05 AM

If you are hacked the first thing you should do if it's not already too late is to transfer your coins to another wallet that has secure private keys.
After that you should change all of your passwords and security questions for your e-mail, phone and social accounts and of course any crypto logins/exchanges.

The key to security is also prevention by using unique secure passwords and also not using a known public e-mail address with important services.
It also of course helps to keep your computer secure and perhaps having a super secure locked down computer that is used exclusively for touching crypto.

To take it a step further considering jailing the process of each wallet etc..

Finally after you've done all you can to limit the damage please report it to the devs of the coin any exchanges and the community as you be quick enough to warn others and prevent some from losing their coins as well.
castiloros

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:50:23 AM

keep track of the things that I think are difficult because there is no complete information. only by building on their wallets only address I think doing tracking very impossible because it can come from anywhere. most importantly I learned from experience, maybe it should be done.
snapee11

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:51:33 AM

This is the dark side of crypto, once being hacked no more getting back. Just move on and create a new wallet and be more cautious.
steveabrahams

Activity: 1050
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 07:56:03 AM

Hi,

Nope they will not do that, once the hacker send your coins into another wallet, poof, you will not get you coins back. The exchange will not listen your problem about your wallet hacked lol, i think the only way is just move on and make a new wallet for your coins.
sureshotcoin

Activity: 129

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:10:17 AM

What I suggest, is do an analysis of how the hacker could have got through to you.
 Is it through a software you have downloaded, a link that you have followed or is it purely a wallet insecurity. based on this, it is best to protect yourself from things happening again in the future.
The Cryptologist

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 30, 2018, 08:21:05 AM

Promise to yourself that it will never happen again. Just remind yourself that the amount they stole from you is small compared to what you will earn after a few years time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: