Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:48:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking a BFL Jalapeno to 32GH and beyond....(???)  (Read 54271 times)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:38:44 PM

Oh I did also chat with that Ebay seller; he's fixing the auction so he can do international. I'd say give it a go.

C

1) The auction at the original link still says continental USA only. Is there another auction/link?
2) According to the photo, the chips aren't native BGA, but a chip on a PCB with balls.
The ones I got are the later ones which are slightly lower profile than the early chips, which were on a little PCB board to turn from from QFP to  BGA. The only early style chips I have ever gotten were three "demo" chips from another vendor.

Either will work. Try messaging the seller, he'll work it out (note I have no relation to the seller other than being a happy buyer of 4 a few weeks ago. Got them with no problems, waiting on a few more)

C

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:17:27 AM

So it looks like ButterFly labs is getting into the jally-jumping game.

They're advertising a new 10gh jalapeno. Which I am betting involves boards with three chips on them, not two. If they run the 3 chips at a lower clock speed they will reduce heat, and could run them on existing equipment.

Josh did you get the idea from here? :-) If so call them "Lightfoot's revenge" or something like that.

C
Goredox

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:16:30 PM

Lightfoot, just order the 0.5mm balls and manually place them on the chip to re-ball it. Better ROI.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:52:14 PM

Lightfoot, just order the 0.5mm balls and manually place them on the chip to re-ball it. Better ROI.
Tried, damn near impossible. Spent $10 on a set of stencils and a cheap holder (the $2 one). Will try that in Jan.

C
elaramus

Activity: 219
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:47:43 PM

Finally!! A tracking number and actual shipping information on my order of 4 Jalapenos from the black friday sale.... It does look like BFL decided to copy this forum idea with their new 10Gh/s Jalapenos.... I'm wondering if they are 3 chip or 4 chip units and I'd like to see what additional cooling options they've used.

Recently had a jalapeno experience fast flash of the red led... one of the original chips was the cause... error cleared when I pulled the associated chip... that chip to led map is a lifesaver and should be blown up, cleaned up and reposted as a separate entry here on the thread.

Merry Xmas to all.... ordered myself 2x more antminers today... guess I'll use the 4 Jalapenos for altcoin when they show up
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:56:38 AM

Finally!! A tracking number and actual shipping information on my order of 4 Jalapenos from the black friday sale.... It does look like BFL decided to copy this forum idea with their new 10Gh/s Jalapenos.... I'm wondering if they are 3 chip or 4 chip units and I'd like to see what additional cooling options they've used.
My units are stuck in Kansas since Sat. So I have to spend Christmas loving my family instead of like scrooge with his gold bitcoin miners....

I am going to guess it's 3 chips, clocked to speed 4 or so which will run the chips at pretty low power and low heat. I've done 3 with the stock heat sink and case; temp goes from 35 to 50 or so.

Going to 4 requires some more firepower. 5 requires a heat pipe sink to fit in their case (and the case starts to become a heat sink in it's own right). Not sure about 6 or more....

Recently had a jalapeno experience fast flash of the red led... one of the original chips was the cause... error cleared when I pulled the associated chip... that chip to led map is a lifesaver and should be blown up, cleaned up and reposted as a separate entry here on the thread.
Congrats on fixing it. Did you put another chip on?

C
Drug5bitz

Activity: 123

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:48:49 PM

Really busy with the holidays, but Merry Christmas or happy what ever you celebrate. So I got my 2 new jalapeños yesterday thank god. So I watch them for the first day mining one at 7Ghs with 4% hw errors and an 8 with 2% hw errors. So I'm like wtf and start looking at the boards. One has 3 chips on it!!!!!!! I started geeking out wondering why it wouldn't be initiating when it's obviously recognized. Figure it's prolly clocked down and I'll be reflashing after the holidays. Just wanted to let you guys know, only one of them has 3 chips. Dissect that.

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

BTC Address 1DX24XAojH2qjAgFzbME81o9BD3yDjfGLR
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:24:59 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 10:17:14 PM by lightfoot

Really busy with the holidays, but Merry Christmas or happy what ever you celebrate. So I got my 2 new jalapeños yesterday thank god. So I watch them for the first day mining one at 7Ghs with 4% hw errors and an 8 with 2% hw errors. So I'm like wtf and start looking at the boards. One has 3 chips on it!!!!!!! I started geeking out wondering why it wouldn't be initiating when it's obviously recognized. Figure it's prolly clocked down and I'll be reflashing after the holidays. Just wanted to let you guys know, only one of them has 3 chips. Dissect that.
Enjoying Christmas here. Fortunately my shipment is stuck somewhere in Kansas, otherwise I wouldn't be playing with my kids and all. :-)

So BFL's switched over to three chip jallies. Very. Very. Interesting. Did you happen to order the 2gh bump-up?

Which way is the fan blowing? And of course pictures would be cool.

C
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 07:19:50 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 07:31:45 AM by Drug5bitz

Ok, so interesting findings. I took the 3 chip jallie and flashed it with 1.2.9 after editing for "little_single" it boots up and registers 1 chip.... Like wtf?? Hashing at 2-3Ghs I've went through and flashed it about 4 times checking through std_def.h. I'm kinda at a loss with this again, Why would flashing cause only one chip to show???  Pics to follow prolly tomorrow.

P.S. the FW version written on back is 292..... hmm board rev. C same as others. This has to be a FW issue somehow....

If you would like to donate to my jalapeno mods, or just buy me a b33r it's all appreciated.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 01:09:32 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 01:19:35 PM by lightfoot

Try using a low speed like 1. Also what do you see with the Handy Dandy BFL Commport scanner?

C
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:02:48 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 05:30:13 PM by Drug5bitz

Try using a low speed like 1. Also what do you see with the Handy Dandy BFL Commport scanner?

C

Is this in the driver pack that BFL produced? Never really needed it, but I guess if it provided some more info. As for the speeds there are 3 lines speed 1,7,9 I just need to turn down speed 7 a little lower for more stable performance maybe?

Ah ha runs at speed 1 only about 7 Ghs will bump up as possible. They wont even start if to high? Shitty chip grades? update will only run with speed 1.............................

Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 06:53:07 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 07:10:23 PM by Drug5bitz

After running for over an hour @ speed 1. One chip is really slow on submissions and another high with HW errors. Leaving it for now going on to the next jalapeno......

Load up the second one in atmel studios and it's a 128kb version..... Those wouldn't accept the 1.2.9 because of the size right? Just want to check before writing a file that's not going to fit. It also just slow flashes the power LED if I use a brick. Only will power up fine on my PSU.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 07:24:42 PM

Is this in the driver pack that BFL produced? Never really needed it, but I guess if it provided some more info. As for the speeds there are 3 lines speed 1,7,9 I just need to turn down speed 7 a little lower for more stable performance maybe?

Ah ha runs at speed 1 only about 7 Ghs will bump up as possible. They wont even start if to high? Shitty chip grades? update will only run with speed 1.............................
Christ, maybe they scraped the total bottom of the barrel and used three Z grade chips. I have noticed that if you set the max frequency too high that chips may not fire, never seen one so screwed up it wouldn't start on 7.

That's kind of cool actually. Just saw your image, holy fuck it does have three chips enabled. That's cool!

Try speed 3,5,6 and see if it comes up a bit faster. One bit at a time. If you load up the BFL comm tool you can actually see what the chips are hashing at, which could really be interesting.

128lb ones can be flashed, I think eoakland figured out you have to set the compile option in the code to be for a 128kb chip. It does work, but if you don't do that you brick. And sounds like one of your bricks is crap, cool.

C
Drug5bitz

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 07:45:44 PM

No both bricks work for the 3 chip version. The 2 chip has 29 shares accepted and 57 HW errors. I can grab the BFL driver I guess but BFGminer is telling me a pretty close speed of each chip as well.   So far I'm extremely disappointed in BFL blackfriday product seems like their unloading the shit inventory. I'll have to check the 2 chip board rev. but there is no tag saying inspected or shit....... RMA if I can ever get a hold of them rofl, eBay has a better RMA policy for selling defective products... Thinking I pretty much lost my money on this deal.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:52:00 PM

No both bricks work for the 3 chip version. The 2 chip has 29 shares accepted and 57 HW errors. I can grab the BFL driver I guess but BFGminer is telling me a pretty close speed of each chip as well.   So far I'm extremely disappointed in BFL blackfriday product seems like their unloading the shit inventory. I'll have to check the 2 chip board rev. but there is no tag saying inspected or shit....... RMA if I can ever get a hold of them rofl, eBay has a better RMA policy for selling defective products... Thinking I pretty much lost my money on this deal.
I'm in a state of shock, but it's from a different bitcoin thing, so at this point nothing will surprise me.

In the meantime the BFL commport thing was written by Red_wolf, and it's probably the most useful thing in the planet. Let me find the link.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/4564-diagnostic-tool-bfl-com-port-scanner.html

He made a bunch of versions, start at like page 4 or something. It's really useful.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:31:19 PM

Well, I got my Black Friday jallies. Not bad overall, I've already added a chip to 1. Instant +4gh.

The chip came from LentBT, I ordered two to test, chips arrived well packed and quickly. Chips are new, new style ones, and went on the board with no problems. I'll put the second one on the other board later tonight, then stick the next four (yes, I ordered 4 more) to make these 5 chip monster jallies.

Moving right along :-)
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:15:10 PM

After running for over an hour @ speed 1. One chip is really slow on submissions and another high with HW errors. Leaving it for now going on to the next jalapeno......

Load up the second one in atmel studios and it's a 128kb version..... Those wouldn't accept the 1.2.9 because of the size right? Just want to check before writing a file that's not going to fit. It also just slow flashes the power LED if I use a brick. Only will power up fine on my PSU.

You can flash the new Jallies with the 128kb chip with 1.2.9, you just need to recompile the solution for the correct chip and make sure to set product type as Little_Single, the full single firmware is more than 128kb
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:19:10 PM

In case anyone is interested, here's the stats from my 11 Black Friday sale units that I bought for shits and giggles. The single runs right at the rated spec and now after some firmware tweaks runs at 54 GH/s, one of the jallies seems to have a shitty chip but still better than spec, the others are excellent.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:38:41 PM

Well, right now I have a lot of stuff in flux. One of the new jallies is at 16gh, one is at 12, my main one is at 20, another two are at 8, and I'm probably going to leave it at that for tonight. I need to rewire the power supplies and start running off the real power from the corsairs in order to go higher. I would be doing that now, but my *&#@(* power cord didn't come from BFL.

Still, it's pretty hefty. And it's seriously starting to get warm. I have the window open in the mining room and I may start moving this project out to the work shed.

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 01:21:38 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2013, 02:00:28 AM by lightfoot

And thanks to an incredibly generous Christmas donation (more in a bit) I think I'm going to need to research the heat issues a bit more.

I'll be taking a unit here to at least 7 chips this weekend, which is going to be complex. I think I will use this on the bottom of the board:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SEZBXY/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To control the heat with the traditional AL heat sink on the top (running this mess upside down). I'll also be buying another water block cooling system for $64 and see how that works as well.

Ok, I picked this unit up. Big. Big big. But big could be good; I could put this on the back of the board and use it to cool the FETs and the main chips in one shot. We shall see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORSAIR-Hydro-Series-H100-CWCH100-RF-Extreme-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler-/291044040581?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item43c3939f85

And on a side note the ebay guy just added canadian shipping. If you want it from another country just PM him on Ebay and he will add the country. 4 more coming by Monday, maybe even this new water block....

C

This will be interesting.

C
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: