Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:13:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should BitBet refund snackman's 10 BTC? (and all other victims' losses)
Yes - 212 (74.6%)
No - 72 (25.4%)
Total Voters: 284

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitBet Stole ~$7,000 from me (10 BTC)  (Read 58146 times)
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:52:28 PM

How would I have won "because my transfer was delayed"? I placed my bet before the satisfaction of the bet statement.

No, you have not.

If you had, your bet would have been refunded.

It's one thing to be clueless, it's another to lie about it.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
moderate

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

nearly dead

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 06:53:08 PM

If you would have won because your TXID was delayed, or in a manner that which you would have got the "WIN" because of this problem, I think you would be satisfied, and not calling him a scammer.

So stop trying to get money back because of your incoherence.

So many errors in a single quote.. let's list few of them.

You can't have a TXID delayed, just because the ID there stands for IDentifier. What you can get is a transaction that either takes some time to CONFIRM or does not confirm at all, which is a different matter and unrelated to what you are trying to claim. After broadcasting a transaction, BitBet would take just a few seconds to notice the transaction, but it would wait till it got confirmed in order to accept the bet.

So, no, the imaginary situation you are pointing out doesn't exist. Time to learn a bit more about bitcoins.

No one here is trying to get the money back on a bet that was lost.

The OP didn't start this thread to call the service a scam.

Why would him stop trying to get his bitcoins back ?
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:07:05 PM

The site sucks in the first place. Why not model it after InTrade`s site, where users can sale stakes in their position? For example, if there is only 10 minutes left and an outcome looks almost certain to happen, you can sale a $0.01 position that states it won`t happen. Have each stake settle at $10 so if you`re right, you would then win $9.99, but if you`re wrong, you only lose $0.01. Likewise, if something is almost certain to happen, you can buy such a stake for $9.99, but then you only stand to gain $0.01 if you`re right. You can adjust the amounts accordingly depending on how likely/unlikely you believe an outcome to be until the last minute. Didn`t anyone use Intrade?

It`s preposterous to hear anyone affiliated with this site claim that users such as the OP are trying to `scam` other users by betting at the last minute. That`s how BitBet`s POS system is designed, for christs sake.

If the site owners are concerned, then they shoulder the burden of fixing it, not the users.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
snackman (OP)

Activity: 260
Merit: 250

snack of all trades

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:09:12 PM

How would I have won "because my transfer was delayed"? I placed my bet before the satisfaction of the bet statement.

No, you have not.

If you had, your bet would have been refunded.

It's one thing to be clueless, it's another to lie about it.
I'll rephrase, because we disagree on the definition of 'placed': I initiated transfer of my bet before the satisfaction of the bet statement. This could be verified by coinjedi if he timestamps transfer requests on Bets of Bitcoin.

snackman (OP)

Activity: 260

snack of all trades

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:10:02 PM

It`s preposterous to hear anyone affiliated with this site claim that users such as the OP are trying to `scam` other users by betting at the last minute. That`s how the BitBet`s POS system is designed, for christs sake.

If the site owners are concerned, then they shoulder the burden of fixing it, not the users.

This, a thousand times.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:25:44 PM

It`s preposterous to hear anyone affiliated with this site claim that users such as the OP are trying to `scam` other users by betting at the last minute. That`s how BitBet`s POS system is designed, for christs sake.

Well put.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 07:26:58 PM

The site sucks in the first place. Why not model it after InTrade`s site, where users can sale stakes in their position? For example, if there is only 10 minutes left and an outcome looks almost certain to happen, you can sale a $0.01 position that states it won`t happen. Have each stake settle at $10 so if you`re right, you would then win $9.99, but if you`re wrong, you only lose $0.01. Likewise, if something is almost certain to happen, you can buy such a stake for $9.99, but then you only stand to gain $0.01 if you`re right. You can adjust the amounts accordingly depending on how likely/unlikely you believe an outcome to be until the last minute. Didn`t anyone use Intrade?

This was done to death. Read more, opine less.

I'll rephrase, because we disagree on the definition of 'placed': I initiated transfer of my bet before the satisfaction of the bet statement. This could be verified by coinjedi if he timestamps transfer requests on Bets of Bitcoin.

We don't "disagree". You're trying to introduce the moment when you signed the check as relevant in the discussion. Your payment happens once the bank has received it, not before.

What you meant to do, and what you thought were doing are immaterial in this discussion. Nobody has the time, or the interest, nor could ever be paid enough to care.

All that matters is what you do. Learn this already.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
sangaman

Activity: 342

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 07:40:23 PM

I used to think MPOE-PR was rude but worth listening to nevertheless, now I think he/she/it is just nasty, unscrupulous, and dishonest. I'm never using any service remotely associated with MPOE-PR and I hope others follow suit. It is mind boggling that that Bitbet's (and it's shareholders/representatives) response to this situation is to insult and berate snackman and anyone who dare come to his defense rather than just refund his bet and reconsider its policies, like any business that cares about its reputation and longevity would. This is not the behavior of an honest company but rather of scammers and bullies.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:09:30 PM

I used to think MPOE-PR was rude but worth listening to nevertheless, now I think he/she/it is just nasty, unscrupulous, and dishonest. I'm never using any service remotely associated with MPOE-PR and I hope others follow suit. It is mind boggling that that Bitbet's (and it's shareholders/representatives) response to this situation is to insult and berate snackman and anyone who dare come to his defense rather than just refund his bet and reconsider its policies, like any business that cares about its reputation and longevity would. This is not the behavior of an honest company but rather of scammers and bullies.

You are ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 08:32:16 PM

I used to think MPOE-PR was rude but worth listening to...
I already had that username on ignore, so came to the not listening decision long ago. I had to unhide to see what this thread was about.

I initially thought from the title that someone was at fault and wanted to be paid winnings from a bet they didn't enter in time.

This is not the case, the money was sent to the site, delayed in confirmation and not entered into a bet, and then kept by the site operator. Stolen.

The "terms" that allege that the owner can do this are unconscionable, and no court of law would find on the side of the site owner. Scammer tags deserved.

We need not just a user reputation, but a site reputation feature. It's pretty amazing looking at old forum posts and old correspondence how just about everyone has turned 'scammer' and run.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 08:38:03 PM

I used to think MPOE-PR was rude but worth listening to...
I already had that username on ignore, so came to the not listening decision long ago. I had to unhide to see what this thread was about.

I initially thought from the title that someone was at fault and wanted to be paid winnings from a bet they didn't enter in time.

This is not the case, the money was sent to the site, delayed in confirmation and not entered into a bet, and then kept by the site operator. Stolen.

The "terms" that allege that the owner can do this are unconscionable, and no court of law would find on the side of the site owner. Scammer tags deserved.

We need not just a user reputation, but a site reputation feature. It's pretty amazing looking at old forum posts and old correspondence how just about everyone has turned 'scammer' and run.

Keeping for later, you never know.

octopus

Activity: 103

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:16:23 PM

You are ugly and your mother dresses you funny.

You're massive bleeding cunt and I hope somebody robs your shit website for every coin you have.

sangaman

Activity: 342

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2013, 09:33:44 PM

No need to stoop to MPOE's level.

And yes I agree a site reputation feature would be nice, there are some places that already do this but I'm not sure if there are any specifically for the bitcoin economy.
blockage

Activity: 100

Vires in numeris.

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:35:55 PM

And yes I agree a site reputation feature would be nice, there are some places that already do this but I'm not sure if there are any specifically for the bitcoin economy.

Yeah, a site reputation feature would be great.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:40:55 PM

Yeah, a site reputation feature would be great.

The problem with this derp is this: you bunch of fucktards can't attack MP's rep, in any conceivable way. If there's some sort of herp reputation site where reputable sites are maligned by idiots just like you, the only net result will be that actual scammers will benefit from the ensuing confusion, which will basically boil down to more fucktards just like you getting hurt. Except then it won't be because you're stupid directly, it'll just be because you were stupid a while back and got stuck.

Which I suppose is how the US folk ended up with their current US government in the first place. So have at.

You're massive bleeding cunt and I hope somebody robs your shit website for every coin you have.

If you think what's keeping MP's sites untouched by scummy fucks (just like you) is the fact that he's nice to them...heh.

You're not stealing from MP because he doesn't let you, not because you wouldn't if you could.

mike_c

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:48:56 PM

Regardless of what you think of bitbet's behavior, this snackman guy is an asshole.  Is there a tag for that?

Mtgox price hits 750  (Bet is decided)
Nov. 18, 2013  21:25 GMT
http://api.bitcoincharts.com/v1/trades.csv?symbol=mtgoxUSD&start=1384809900

Nov. 18, 2013  21:42 GMT  (Snackman tries to rip off other bettors)
https://blockchain.info/tx/2af75fb4e50a14bf247575bf426615d01f9d6db4d88dc0668d27c88259f68691

Trying to bilk a parimutuel bet after the result is known is very scummy.
blockage

Activity: 100

Vires in numeris.

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:58:57 PM

Regardless of what you think of bitbet's behavior, this snackman guy is an asshole.  Is there a tag for that?

https://blockchain.info/tx/2af75fb4e50a14bf247575bf426615d01f9d6db4d88dc0668d27c88259f68691

The price needed to go above $750 which happened Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:58:29 GMT.

octopus

Activity: 103

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 09:59:56 PM

how many times does it have to be said? it is the responsibility of the POS system to prevent this.

it is no more of a scam than if i submitted a lottery ticket after the numbers had been announced. the lottery company would have to be really fucking stupid to award me the jackpot, and somebody would have to be really fucking stupid to claim i was trying to scam them.

it is trivial to stop taking bets once the bet has closed. it should be expected that some bets will receive wagers when closed. a proper POS system will handle this eventuality by refunding the coins.

unfortunately in this case, POS seems to stand for "piece of shit" rather than "point of sale"

so is this your business model? steal from people who use your site, then redistribute some of that money to "shareholders" (paid shills) to attempt to keep your reputation afloat by continually reposting arguments that have already been thoroughly deconstructed?

MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:04:38 PM

how many times does it have to be said? it is the responsibility of the POS system to prevent this.

You don't get a say in allocating responsibilities here. Why do you have trouble with this simple notion?

mike_c

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2013, 10:06:09 PM

The price needed to go above $750 which happened Mon, 18 Nov 2013 22:58:29 GMT.

Ah, good point.  I am sure snackman realized that distinction and was not trying to ripoff the other parimutuel bettors... (where's the sarcmark on this thing?)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: