April 26, 2024, 05:05:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe UABB is a...
Viable Service to Bitcoin (my belief)
Scam
Fraud
?, for I'm holding back judgement at this time.
or, I always vote for the humorous option, just because!
Self Important Fuckwit

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: UABB is a...  (Read 16419 times)
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:02:58 AM

WOW! Thank you, I never read that before. He is a douche! Nothing but apologies and excuses as to why couldnt pay someone 1 measly little bitcoin for artwork. This just reaffirms my original gut feeling that he is a walking, talking pile of pig droppings.

This is the exact reason why we should not be allowed to change our member names.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:07:32 AM

what is UABB?

Welcome to Bitcoin, ctoon6. Here is the link to UABB: http://uabb.org/ Also, get yourself up to speed by searching this forum.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:10:11 AM

Ahahahahahalololololololhehehehehehe

So much for that business venture.

Can I change my vote in the poll?
elggawf

Activity: 308

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:12:13 AM

This is the exact reason why we should not be allowed to change our member names.

I disagree - by him changing his name, you can still search his post history and by seeing posts quoted as BitMole and responded to by his new username, you know for certain that he is the same guy (or at least the same account).

The only alternative is him starting a new account, and then I'd wager that without some really really observant forum admins, no one would have had any idea who he was.

The alternative is way worse than people changing their forum usernames.

^_^
RandyFolds

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:12:31 AM

Also, that avatar makes those old arguments ten times funnier.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:13:47 AM

Considering I publicly announced the changed on my own threads, it was obviously done for added transparency. Also, changing your name doesn't remove your previous posts so what's the problem?

Is it still 1AM in Korea? If not, how many more of these type of posts do I have to amend for you?

Considering I publicly announced the changed on my own threads, it was obviously done for added transparency. Also, changing your name doesn't remove your previous posts. so what's the problem?

Remember to use:

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:20:58 AM

i also want to point out this website is very hypocritical.

The UABB is dedicated to building a more trustworthy Bitcoin marketplace through maintaining standards for truthful advertising, investigating and exposing fraud against consumers and businesses and providing information to consumers before they purchase products and services with Bitcoin.

you are advertise you are truthful yet  you have made no acceptable claim you can be trusted. fix it.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:21:42 AM

I believe I have the poll set where you can change your vote. If not, I'll do it manually for you. To double check, you want it changed from a no to a yes? Thank you kindly, RandyFolds, for your comment.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:27:34 AM

i also want to point out this website is very hypocritical.

The UABB is dedicated to building a more trustworthy Bitcoin marketplace through maintaining standards for truthful advertising, investigating and exposing fraud against consumers and businesses and providing information to consumers before they purchase products and services with Bitcoin.

you are advertise you are truthful yet  you have made no acceptable claim you can be trusted. fix it.

Boy, you get up to speed fast. Remind me not to jacko pee in your Cheerios. Thank you for your comments, ctoon6.
ctoon6

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:30:58 AM

Boy, you get up to speed fast. Remind me not to jacko pee in your Cheerios. Thank you for your comments, ctoon6.

sometimes i post faster than i should. although i do try to get to the source as fast as possible with a great understanding of both sides of the story. i have yet to see any other side posted. also the when searching for uabb, it links to some myspace bs. another reason not to trust it, they didnt even bother to raise the search rank, or its just very new, and again would have no trust or credibility built up.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:38:44 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2011, 01:50:14 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

Hey, everyone! Look what I found (or not found) over at UABCI: http://uabci.org/ This website is currently down for relocation. Where is it being relocated to? Who's doing the relocation? Who's helping with the relocation? Is this a red herring, to throw off the wolves, and there's really no relocation? And, if this is truly a relocation, how is it...wait for it...being financed? Stolen bitcoins?

Matthew, You Have Some (more) Splainin' to Do!

ctoon6

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:40:09 AM

The UABB is about a week old and hasn't even opened its door yet. That's the ironic part of all this. It's kind of silly to be calling something a scam before it's even operational if you ask me.

all i ask for is proof that you or the UABB can be trusted. you provide none, and the other "businesses" in this sector have proven they also can not be trusted, why are you different. why would i want to brand my name with yours. if it did turn out that the UABB could not be trusted, i would forever tarnish my name, why would i risk that.

RandyFolds

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:40:29 AM

I believe I have the poll set where you can change your vote. If not, I'll do it manually for you. To double check, you want it changed from a no to a yes? Thank you kindly, RandyFolds, for your comment.

I was a '?' to give UABB the benefit of the doubt, but I would change her to 'Self-Important Fuckwit' upon recent revelations.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:43:31 AM

sometimes i post faster than i should. although i do try to get to the source as fast as possible with a great understanding of both sides of the story. i have yet to see any other side posted. also the when searching for uabb, it links to some myspace bs. another reason not to trust it, they didnt even bother to raise the search rank, or its just very new, and again would have no trust or credibility built up.

When I first Google search for anything new in regards to Bitcoin, I add the keyword Bitcoin to what I'm searching for. When I first did this with "UABB Bitcoin" (without the quotation marks), like magic it was the very first link.
RandyFolds

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:44:07 AM

The UABB is about a week old and hasn't even opened its door yet. That's the ironic part of all this. What started out as a conversation between a random user and Maged, turned into a promising idea for a new site that could help reduce fraud and handle consumer complaints. During its development stages (now), I have been enlisted help, but obviously not enough. There are more people willing to bash it than contribute to its success. It's kind of silly to be calling something a scam before it's even operational though, if you ask me.

All I can say is that the BBB is a dirty racket though it didn't start out that way; I don't see why it would pan out any different for Bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:49:33 AM

The UABB is about a week old and hasn't even opened its door yet. That's the ironic part of all this. What started out as a conversation between a random user and Maged, turned into a promising idea for a new site that could help reduce fraud and handle consumer complaints. During its development stages (now), I have been enlisted help, but obviously not enough. There are more people willing to bash it than contribute to its success. It's kind of silly to be calling something a scam before it's even operational though, if you ask me.

I think I nailed it! It's your image! Go with this (most here won't recognize Red Skelton):

ctoon6

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 01:55:04 AM

the uabb has no trust, and anyone who thinks they can trust any central authority with YOUR money needs their head examined. everyone is quick to set up centralization for bitcoin, but NOBODY has given a single thought to making secure devices (they simply export signed transactions) for bitcoin. i ask WHY the fuck should we trust these guys. where the hell do they get their authority to set this

ctoon6: Just for clarification, unless someone felt that doing business with a particularly risky and choose the optional escrow services, there would be no handling of any consumer or merchant funds. The UABB simply provides standards for businesses to follow that would provide more accountability for merchants as well as reduce the potential for fraudulent transactions towards and even from consumers.

Although not having a UABB accreditation says absolutely nothing as to whether your business is 'legitimate' or not (is every business in the US accredited by the BBB?), it does show the a particular vender is willing to take the extra steps towards protecting its consumers from fraud and in showing it is in fact capable and willing to take responsibility for its actions.

Such a service is obviously necessary in a marketplace of almost total anonymity for consumers. We aren't trying to decentralize Bitcoin. We are trying to help solve the currently rampant problem of fraud.

http://www.truecrypt.org/ is a good thing to use for this purpose.

Although some businesses do not currently provide such protection, I have mentioned on these forums to the user bitprotection that his services would greatly be improved if instead of having his users transmit their wallet.dat files in plain text through a secure SSL connection, instead they are required to use TrueCrypt to first encrypt, then transmit.

If bitcoin continues in a Bull market you will ultimately lose as an insurance company for bitcoin.

Then how about just a backup-insurance service? You use TrueCrypt, a publicly distributed open source encryption program, to encrypt your wallet with Serpent-TwoFish-AES, then you transmit it over HTTPS to the service where it is backed up in 3 physical locations same day.

Charges for this service could be based on updates. Whenever you want to update your wallet, you need to pay a fee, otherwise, maybe a fee that equals your portion of all the fees incurred by the service provider to store the USB drive(s) inside of physical bank vaults and drive to the banks daily to physically update them with a laptop.

It was then met with criticism that it would not be necessary considering the owner of the site has no intention of looking into the wallet files, so encryption is not required.

It was then met by some other users' comments instructing him 'not to listen' and 'do what you want' basically. This is almost proof of the ignorance of the average user (and business owner) to ignore sound advice due to a lack of understanding of the situation.

This kind of flagrant lack of regard for people's security is why I thought we needed something like the UABB-- not to force people to participate, but to allow an educational and helpful program that could very well assist bitprotection in becoming a successful service, whereas most people will see the inherent flaws, ignore his services without telling him why, or worse, accept his services under insecure conditions and potentially defrauded (for whatever reason, by whatever entity).

The point is that the current level of understanding of the community itself is below what it should be, and although I certainly realize we are all making an effort (especially on the heels of these MtGox/MyBitcoin situations), it's just not enough for mainstream. The very first person who uses Bitcoin for the first time is almost certainly going to be scammed.

I have however been following the very important and intelligent arguments that an organization like the UABB could become a negative influence in that it could become evil through its influence, but I honestly think the best move would be to have other services like the UABB, not less of them, and all working together to make sure the other one is following their own standards.

What do you guys think?

Since the BBB is already in existence i will compare UABB to it.

if i buy something from a BBB accredited business, and i genuinely get ripped off, they can still keep their money and i would still be at a loss. the BBB and this is only additional bloat we don't need.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 01:56:20 AM

The UABB is about a week old and hasn't even opened its door yet. That's the ironic part of all this. It's kind of silly to be calling something a scam before it's even operational if you ask me.

all i ask for is proof that you or the UABB can be trusted. you provide none, and the other "businesses" in this sector have proven they also can not be trusted, why are you different. why would i want to brand my name with yours. if it did turn out that the UABB could not be trusted, i would forever tarnish my name, why would i risk that.

Remember, I'm the OP (Phinnaeus Gage--not my real name) and that you're asking Matthew with UABB this question. I don't want my name (even if it's a fake one) tarnished if by chance I'm on the wrong side of this issue. I do feel you have some valid points.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2011, 02:01:09 AM

I was a '?' to give UABB the benefit of the doubt, but I would change her to 'Self-Important Fuckwit' upon recent revelations.

This was to easy. I wrote the "no to a yes" comment to see if you would clarify your position, which you did. Also, don't believe what I said about being able to change the vote on my end, for I can't. I'm pretty sure, though, that I do have the poll set up so that you can change your vote. I did go and tried to edit the poll to make sure, but that option was not available, so I'm honestly guessing. Thank you for your honest opinion, RandyFolds.
ctoon6

View Profile
August 04, 2011, 02:02:29 AM

Remember, I'm the OP (Phinnaeus Gage--not my real name) and that you're asking Matthew with UABB this question. I don't want my name (even if it's a fake one) tarnished if by chance I'm on the wrong side of this issue. I do feel you have some valid points.

http://www.electronic-battle-weapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Nothing-Worse-Than-A-Bad-Rap.jpg
If i don't brand myself with UABB the worst that happens is that people with common sense would see that i do have only positive feedback even though i only do small trades. if i were a real business, which i guess this is targeted to, i would never want to associate myself with someone who pretty much half the community thinks is a fraud, even if this were not true. if i stay independent only i affect my rep. why would i brand myself with some random business that thinks they have authority and trust, and it turned out they were just looking for a quick buck and accept anyone to be "accredited".

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: