Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:45:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: They want to delete the Wikipedia article  (Read 25040 times)
NewLibertyStandard

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2010, 02:04:24 PM

That post was deleted? I don't get why at all.
It's certainly calmer and tamer than my previous post. The only controversial thing about it is that it is more pointed toward Wikipedia deletionists. I can imagine that if there was a moderator here who is a deletionist on Wikipedia, they might get upset and delete it. Or maybe a deletionist on Wikipedia who cracked my password in order to delete it. This second scenario actually isn't too far fetched if the forum doesn't temporarily lock out accounts after a few failed login attempts. I've since updated my rather weak password so that it hopefully doesn't happen again. Unless it was a technical glitch or a moderator who will speak up, it very much reinforces my recently acquired vile opinion of Wikipedia deletionists. Of course so long as I can't prove anything, it's just my word against nobody or anybody or Wikipedia deletionists or I'm just overly paranoid or something. Undecided

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2010, 07:55:42 PM

Instead of wasting with them (they do frustrate me sometimes), why not create a new article at a more "friendly" place like
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Welcome_to_Citizendium

Citizendium is a wiki that seems to be a compromise between the free-for-all that is Wikipedia and the strict supervision that accompanies Scholarpedia. One of Wikipedia's founders, Larry Sanger, created Citizendium in the hopes of improving on Wikipedia's model. With what the site refers to as "gentle oversight", all articles are subject to approval by the site's editorial team. Articles that haven't been approved will have an accompanying disclaimer, which helps to prevent people from taking potentially false information to heart. Also, you must register under your real name to become a contributor, unlike Wikipedia. Although the site is still in beta form, it is quickly becoming a popular alternative to Wikipedia.

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 02, 2010, 06:45:52 PM

Totaly rediculous that this gets removed... almost makes me feel there's pressure from third parties...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 08:49:51 AM

Times have changed. Wink Sorry for the bump.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
the_poet
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
March 08, 2016, 10:16:21 AM

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read "They want to delete the Wikipedia article" in 2016.

Under construction.
nullius
Copper Member

Activity: 630
Merit: 2610

If you don’t do PGP, you don’t do crypto!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2022, 12:13:15 AM

If you post in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Bitcoin please don't say "yeah, but bitcoin is really important and special so the rules shouldn't apply" or argue that the rule is dumb or unfair.  That only makes it worse.  Try to address how the rule is satisfied.

[... ] I hope it doesn't get deleted.  If it does, it'll be hard to overcome the presumption.  Institutional momentum is to stick with the last decision.  (edit: or at least I assume so, that's how the world usually works, but maybe Wiki is different)

Satoshi, please don’t be sad. 😿

The Wikipedia article on “Bitcoin” was deleted 30 July 2010, on grounds that Bitcoin was allegedly not “notable”.  The article was later undeleted on 12 December 2010.

Since then, your little invention has been taking over the world.  It has become so notable, so “important and special”, that those who feel threatened by its freedom needed to invent the POS meta-scam—and a massive lie-propaganda campaign to go with it.

It is true that institutional momentum is to stick with the last decision—or to repeat history in some fashion.  Wiki is no different.  If I may be so bold as to scandalize some of my friends by quoting a Communist:

Quote from: Karl Marx
Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice.  He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce.

The deletion of the “Bitcoin” article was tragedy.  This is farce:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Stop_accepting_cryptocurrency_donations  (Concluded 12 April 2022.)

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3584
Merit: 2482

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
July 19, 2022, 12:56:03 AM

One might add that Wikipedia still DOES have a rather comprehensive and up-to-date page on Bitcoin... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Kakmakr
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 1944

This space is availlable for advertising

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 05:50:15 AM

There are definitely pressure from third parties to "remove" content that might disrupt the "Puppet Masters" agenda to rule the financial system. Here is a technology that are accepted as a currency in many countries... and you tell me that it is not noticeable?

It just shows you how much power these centralized platforms are having and how they want to shape the thoughts of people around the world. It is time for the "people" to rise up and to throw it in their face, so that it gets noticeable in the mainstream media.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Signature space availlable -Just DM me if you need some advertising.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3037

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 08, 2022, 04:27:42 PM
Merited by nutildah (3), ABCbits (1)

Since some people need reminding, please check the date of the OP when responding to necrobumped threads and consider whether the thread and your response are still relevant. Future readers will thank you.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: