Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:05:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Crashing Again?  (Read 5004 times)
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 3990
Merit: 4434

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:55:51 PM

i'm just a filthy, dirty, hoarde.

I'm an immaculate hoarder.

Buy as low as possible, hold as long as possible, avoid selling if at all possible, rinse and repeat.

Okay, maybe I'm a little dirty. I sold 8% of my bitcoins during last April's dead cat bounce and bought back 2 weeks later for less than 2/3 the price. The other 92% of my coins are clean and safe in paper wallets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 04:56:48 PM

Oh my god, why is this place so full of clowns who are full to the brim of self importance? Probably has something to do with so many delusional idiots having gotten rich through sheer fluke of judgement landing them on the right side of a trade. Of course, y'all prefer to think of your good fortune as being down to your razor sharp business acumen.

That's all I saw; I stopped reading when I realized he was going to whine about hoarding.

EDIT: Here you go: Hoarding and Dishoarding, first section. Learn something!

I wasn't whinging.

And if I was whinging about hoarders, I wouldn't be referring to paupers like yourself.

I was merely pointing out a fact.

And it is an important fact, because if the Bitcoin price was being held up by mass adoption, and 90% of coin trades were due to participators in real world economic transactions then it would be a very different market from what it is. As it is, the market price is rising due to HOARDING. Furthermore, we all know that there are Bitcoin whales in these waters, who have the power to drive this market right down (as well as up). In a market determined by hoarding, all entrants are at the whim and mercy of the biggest hoarders, thus we are all playing in a cornered market. a very different scenario from the ideal.

P.S. I read a whole lot less of your post than you did of mine...especially if you got this far.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:01:46 PM

If everybody is hoarding it's not a healthy market. You need heavy volume to see rise in price (and also big pullbacks). If nobody had sold since the early days, price would still be at 10 cents.

The problem with hoarding is that people don't invest their btc in businesses and technologies around bitcoin.
They just hoard and wait for the miracle to happen.
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:14:32 PM

If everybody is hoarding it's not a healthy market. You need heavy volume to see rise in price (and also big pullbacks). If nobody had sold since the early days, price would still be at 10 cents.

The problem with hoarding is that people don't invest their btc in businesses and technologies around bitcoin.
Why waste bitcoins on investing in businesses when fiat will do just fine?

One of my smartest decisions was to pay for my BFL pre-order with dollars last February, instead of using bitcoins. By the time I actually received my miner in late October, difficulty had increased so much that it took me a whole month to mine my first whole coin.

That was enough, at today's price, to pay for the miner, shipping, customs brokerage (grrr) and taxes. If I'd paid in Bitcoin, I'd probably never break even.
antoineph

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:15:53 PM

Exactly. And it could damage the concept of bitcoin.

You can't stop hoarding, or trust people not to hoard. If they hoard it's because of the inherent structure of bitcoin and its relationship to human nature. The concept of bitcoin doesn't get damaged by hoarders. The concept of bitcoin involves hoarding as a natural part of it.

I'm not saying bitcoin is perfect.
JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:16:40 PM

it could damage the concept of bitcoin.
Damage the concept? LOL
zuckerant

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:42:42 PM

Yeah. Today I sold a few coins at 760 and probably will buy back a few at 850 tomorrow. Best decision ever.
gongomanny

Activity: 301

Ɓιтcσιη

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:46:29 PM

Exactly. And it could damage the concept of bitcoin.

If you buy gold, do you need to sel it next day to not damage the concept of gold  Huh
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:49:15 PM

Yeah. Today I sold a few coins at 760 and probably will buy back a few at 850 tomorrow. Best decision ever.

I've lost hundreds of BTC to relentless rallies.  If you are a long term supporter, it's better to just spend them on stuff you want.  That way, you can support merchants, provide liquidity, and either lock in some profits, or rebuy them to not lose out on future gains.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
drnick

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 05:56:34 PM

+1

If anyone has pangs of regret for spending their early bitcoins, if you hadn't spent them, you wouldn't have the opportunity for regret today! The whole bitcoin community should be really grateful for the early adopters who were spenders and actually made use of the system.

Where possible, I try to spend bitcoins or receive payments in bitcoin. I still hoard by replacing bitcoins immediately after I spend them. It's a little more cumbersome to do the Fiat -> Bitcoin -> Bitcoin -> Fiat dance, but it's still fun to see it all work.
OC19850520

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:07:40 PM

The whole bitcoin community should be really grateful for the early adopters who were spenders and actually made use of the system.

I was been able to mine some coins with my GPU early this year, so you could just mine the coins early this year easily. But not anymore, I have to buy now instead (probably not only from early adopters  Smiley)
GriTBitS

Activity: 448

“A decentralized registry for unique assets”

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:17:38 PM

Well when ppl started getting there mini rigs beginning of OCT they were selling them off. Now they are getting low amount of coin return so they're holding on to them... The next batch of miners with the 28mm rigs will get here soon and the price will shoot up again. They will be the new money and wanting to sell except they will need to sell for more to get payback. This cycle will continue to repeat for a long time... Investment needs payback. So they sell. Selling creates Vol. People start holding out for more money but still willing to sell. Then the Increase in difficulty hits and they are back to hording.... March Apr of this year is when BLF started issuing their first mini rigs I believe.

▄▄█████████                                                                                   
 ██▀       ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
██         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██         ██                                                                                ▀█▄
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██         ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄     ████████▄     █████████   ▀██▄  ▄██▀           ██
██         ██       ▄██▀    ▀▀   ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ██     ▀██▄   ██            ██████             ██
██         ██       ██▀          ██      ██    ██      ▀██   ██▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀██▀              ██
██         ██       ███          ██▄    ▄██    ██      ▄██   ██            ▄████▄             ██
██         ██        ▀██▄▄▄▄██    ▀██▄▄██▀     ██▄▄▄▄▄██▀    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██▀  ▀██            ██
██▄██████████          ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀           ██
███▀                                                                                          ██
██                                                                                            ██
▀█▄                                                                                           ██
 ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀████
                                                                                    ██       ▀██
                                                                                    ██       ▄██
                                                                                    ██      ▄██
                                                                                    ███████▀▀   
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █
█ █

*   Collect with Trust   *
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
 █ █
 █ █

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:20:42 PM

I don't hoard. I save.

JimboToronto
Legendary

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:25:45 PM

I don't hoard. I save.

I guess I don't hoard then either. I invest. Long term.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 2228

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:27:44 PM

Because of human beings propensity to run for the hills at the slightest sign of bad news.

The rest get a better price and make money.
I try to explain that to people about the stock market: "It's not down 20%, everything simply is on a 20% off sale.". Unless the world melts down (which oddly enough I really doubt is going to happen) things will not be as bad as people think.
kolesozw
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

FRX: Ferocious Alpha

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 06:28:08 PM

But some people already plan to hoard all their coins in a paper wallet under their bed for 4 years hoping it will be 1000000 us by then. It won't be that simple.

Not sure if only 4 years, but I believe it is that simple.
I dont believe big crash is comming, only some corrections along the million road

Salivan

Activity: 195
Merit: 102

DiMS dev team

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:23:17 PM

Well when ppl started getting there mini rigs beginning of OCT they were selling them off. Now they are getting low amount of coin return so they're holding on to them... The next batch of miners with the 28mm rigs will get here soon and the price will shoot up again. They will be the new money and wanting to sell except they will need to sell for more to get payback. This cycle will continue to repeat for a long time... Investment needs payback. So they sell. Selling creates Vol. People start holding out for more money but still willing to sell. Then the Increase in difficulty hits and they are back to hording.... March Apr of this year is when BLF started issuing their first mini rigs I believe.
miners participation in today market is negligible
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:25:58 PM

I'm hoarder, but I sincerely wish to support the market, and you can always buy a fraction of my bitcoins at $5000/btc.
freakying99

Activity: 429

Pythagoras and Plato are my brothers.

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 07:36:23 PM

3600 NEW Coins daily, thats a lot in market trades.
mvidetto

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 08:35:11 PM

3600 NEW Coins daily, thats a lot in market trades.

It's actually more like 4k coins daily average 8.9m between blocks or about 4044 btc a day.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: