Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 12:33:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 [575] 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 ... 2557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: NXT :: descendant of Bitcoin - Updated Information  (Read 2761537 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

If someone creates a forum poll on nextcoin.org and majority votes for this min fee setting ratio (always keep min fee ~$0.10), would the devs implement it or would we still need to wait for the VS to be in place?

Jean-Luc, this is addressed to u.
idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:16:54 PM

Can someone hook me up with a blocks.nrs file as i mistakenly deleted my entire 0.4.7e directory.

just create an empty blockchain.nrs file, and download the blockchain.
I'm doing that but I'm stuck at block 0 for some reason.
utopianfuture

Activity: 602
Merit: 268

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:17:16 PM

All right. I am going to log out now. HAPPY NEW YEAR to YOU all, especially to BCNext, CfB, Luc and all others who are working to keep the network safe and secure. WISH you all a prosperous 2014.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
█████████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
  TomoChain  •    •  TomoChain 
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
gbeirn

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:17:30 PM

the min fee can be set to 0.50, 0.25, etc? can be any number?

Almost any. Minus 1 NXT fee wouldn't be a good decision.

ok,

so when NXT goes to $0.20, set min fee to 0.50, NXT goes to $0.40 set min fee to 0.25, NXT goes to $1 min fee to 0.1, etc.
If someone creates a forum poll on nextcoin.org and majority votes for this min fee setting ratio (always keep min fee ~$0.10), would the devs implement it or would we still need to wait for the VS to be in place?

I agree that a fee reduction schedule have to be planned ahead. Need to do it the sooner the better.

Plan ahead, sure. I think implementing it should wait however. 1NXT is not that much and we already have people worrying about the distribution of NXT as it is. I would prefer to see it tied to volume and transaction total. Not to a fiat or even BTC price.

NXT VPS Server Donations can be sent here: 6044921191674841550
At the end of each month I will donate some of them back to the community.
This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
gbeirn

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:18:22 PM

Can someone hook me up with a blocks.nrs file as i mistakenly deleted my entire 0.4.7e directory.

just create an empty blockchain.nrs file, and download the blockchain.
I'm doing that but I'm stuck at block 0 for some reason.

It's blocks.nxt and transactions.nxt, not nrs.

Edit: nevermind. I mis-read that.

This is separate from my main wallet so you can keep track of them. I will keep them in there and only use them for hosting.
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:19:39 PM

ok,

so when NXT goes to $0.20, set min fee to 0.50, NXT goes to $0.40 set min fee to 0.25, NXT goes to $1 min fee to 0.1, etc.

I agree that a fee reduction schedule have to be planned ahead. Need to do it the sooner the better.

Plan ahead, sure. I think implementing it should wait however. 1NXT is not that much and we already have people worrying about the distribution of NXT as it is. I would prefer to see it tied to volume and transaction total. Not to a fiat or even BTC price.

Yes plan ahead only. 1NXt is good for now. I think laowai's rule is a good one. Fee should not exceed 10 cent (0.1 us$).

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
laowai80

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:22:08 PM

People don't think in terms of crypto prices yet, they tend to think in fiat terms.
When/if fiat currencies do collapse, then it'll make more sense to tie the fee to something else,
but now, even from the marketing standpoint, it sounds great when you say that the fee is only 10 cents, all people understand cents, fewer people understand exchange rates and how much it costs in crypto terms. But when you say 10 cents, everyone thinks - wow, so cheap, I gotta have a thorough look into this online currency.
gbeirn

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:26:49 PM

ok,

Yes plan ahead only. 1NXt is good for now. I think laowai's rule is a good one. Fee should not exceed 10 cent (0.1 us$).

I don't know why we would want to tie to fiat or limit ourselves by that at all. Plus not everyone uses US$ and it may be more or less expensive based on their local currency.

Why not shoot for a goal of 'X' amount of NXT per day (or whatever) should be recirculated as transaction fees to forgers. Like a difficulty adjustment for the transaction fee. The more people that use NXT, the less it costs each person to send NXT.

utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:31:47 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2013, 05:42:04 PM by utopianfuture

ok,

I don't know why we would want to tie to fiat or limit ourselves by that at all. Plus not everyone uses US$ and it may be more or less expensive based on their local currency.

Why not shoot for a goal of 'X' amount of NXT per day (or whatever) should be recirculated as transaction fees to forgers. Like a difficulty adjustment for the transaction fee. The more people that use NXT, the less it costs each person to send NXT.
It could be a good idea but it could be difficult to implement and more difficult to know the exact fee at each moment you need to send NXT.

We could also tie it to the actual price to buy a cup of coffee or a big Mac for example. If we want NXT to be used in a widespread scale like buying food, gas, coffee then the fee has to be proportional. If a cup of coffee cost generally 2-3$, the minimum should no be over 10 cent. Basically tie the fee to purchasing power.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
morningtime

Activity: 160

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:45:39 PM

People don't think in terms of crypto prices yet, they tend to think in fiat terms.
When/if fiat currencies do collapse, then it'll make more sense to tie the fee to something else,
but now, even from the marketing standpoint, it sounds great when you say that the fee is only 10 cents, all people understand cents, fewer people understand exchange rates and how much it costs in crypto terms. But when you say 10 cents, everyone thinks - wow, so cheap, I gotta have a thorough look into this online currency.

This doesn't make any sense. NXT fees should be expressed in NXT. Period.
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:47:52 PM

Fee is always in NXT. He means it should not exceed 10 cent. Cos you want to use NXt in the real world, shopping, buying food, coffee, etc.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Damelon
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:52:25 PM

Some people (older people, like my mum) still sometimes calculate back from Euro to guilder. That's how long such changes can take.
People will need a reference point in the currency they are used to, otherwise they have no idea how to value it at the moment.
In time, that will change.

Member of the Nxt Foundation | Donations: NXT-D6K7-MLY6-98FM-FLL5T
Join Nxt Slack! https://nxtchat.herokuapp.com/
Founder of Blockchain Workspace | Personal Site & Blog
laowai80

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 05:58:55 PM

That would be overcomplicating things, I am afraid.
We don't have stable software yet. The more features = the more bugs.
An additional feature of calculating the fee based on some algo will introduce more bugs and inconsistencies and user complaints.
Everybody understand $0.10, even those who have other local currencies. Most local currencies in the world are tied to USD in some way anyway, so people in other countries easily exchange back and forth from USD to their local fiat. At least while NXT grows it should be tied to something people are very familiar with. Just my 2 NXT cents.
opticalcarrier

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:03:30 PM

Is there any news concerning Drexme?
His story was that he took the funds to "invest" them and will host a giveaway with them sometime next week.  Im not sure if he meant a ggiveaway for use here at NXT or over at his dogecoin stuff hes been working on
gbeirn

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:05:25 PM

That would be overcomplicating things, I am afraid.
We don't have stable software yet. The more features = the more bugs.
An additional feature of calculating the fee based on some algo will introduce more bugs and inconsistencies and user complaints.
Everybody understand $0.10, even those who have other local currencies. Most local currencies in the world are tied to USD in some way anyway, so people in other countries easily exchange back and forth from USD to their local fiat. At least while NXT grows it should be tied to something people are very familiar with. Just my 2 NXT cents.

So why are we even worrying about adjusting the transaction fees right now? If we are imaging a world where people use NXT to pay for cups of coffee regularly then odds are we have a fairly stable ecosystem in place. Again I think it's a good idea to design and think about such a system to implement in the future but why are we limiting ourselves with fiat?

S3MKi
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:06:54 PM

HAPPY NXT YEAR GUYS!!
ferment

Activity: 168

IDEX - LIVE Real-time DEX

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:07:19 PM

22k.io Safari Extension for NXT Aliases

Safari users can rejoice! Support for the nxt uri is now available!

Download: http://22k.io/22ksafari

Once installed, you can click nxt uris and typenxt:alias_name in the address bar! Since the alias is sent to 22K.io, you can still get info on aliases without URIs or use new URI schemes as I implement support. Firefox and Chrome extensions coming soon!

Let me know what you think! Thank you for your support: 4915862015826193000.

laowai80

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:09:59 PM

So why are we even worrying about adjusting the transaction fees right now? If we are imaging a world where people use NXT to pay for cups of coffee regularly then odds are we have a fairly stable ecosystem in place. Again I think it's a good idea to design and think about such a system to implement in the future but why are we limiting ourselves with fiat?

Well, the fee will need to be reduced fairly soon, when NXT hits $0.20, might be a month or two. So we kinda need a plan for the near future. And a more complicated plan based on some algo could be introduced later, when software is stable enough, network is strong enough, and other higgher priority issues are solved. I'm sure it'll be possible to modify code later and code in a complex fee calculating algo if needed.
Boldhead

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:13:38 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I did a BTC withdrawing almost 5 days ago and it's still pending..
Anybody else experiencing problems like this one?
utopianfuture

Internet of Value

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 06:14:16 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I did a BTC withdrawing almost 5 days ago and it's still pending..
Anybody else experiencing problems like this one?

That's the problem with the exchange. You have to ask the exchange owner, not us.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄███████████████████▄
███████████████████████
▐██████████████████████▌
████████████████████████
░░▀████████████████████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
Pages: « 1 ... 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 [575] 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 ... 2557 »
  Print  

Jump to: