Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:10:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY FPGA Mining rig for any algorithm with fast ROI  (Read 99399 times)
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 08:07:46 AM

It takes quite a lot of work to transition a bitstream from private use to public use (with dev fee and anti-piracy).  Since my original post May 1, the crypto-landscape changed dramatically.  Luxcoin forked away from Phi1612, making Phi1612 useless.  Baikal began mining Keccak with X10 ASICs, making Keccak non-profitable (and also Digital Cruncher released Keccak for the FPGA as well).  The few coins on Skunkhash collapsed, making it so that Skunkhash can only support 2-3 FPGA's at the moment.  The network hash rate on Tribus went up 4x (and also Digital Cruncher released Tribus first),  so what this all meant is that it was better to focus on high-profit coins for public release rather than package-up old bitstreams that are useless.  0xToken is available now, and I am releasing another algorithm on August 11, and four more in early September.  I am no longer going to announce which algorithms will be launched, since it was my original announcement of Phi1612 that was a major factor in LUXcoin forking (in hindsight I should have just launched the bitstream without ever announcing it first).

I hope that clarifies things.  If you still want Tribus and Keccak, you can download them Digital Cruncher's github.  Phi1612 and Skunkhash are available on Sprocket's github, although it isn't really worth installing them.

Thanks very much for the clarification and advices. Your effort is very much appreciated. Keep up the awesome work!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mroth76842

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2018, 12:16:28 PM

@whitefire990

For those of us still looking to get into FPGA would you recommend trying to get in on the XUPVV4 150A Bittware card or should we wait for the CVP-9/13 300A cards? Will you be supporting both?
colomine

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 01:04:04 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2018, 01:24:49 AM by colomine

@whitefire990,
 I must  have definitely missed a few recent forks, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.  We will look forward for your new bitstream releases, updates and instructions!
wudafuxup

Activity: 391
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 02:23:39 PM

@whitefire990

I have checked out your website recently regarding bitstreams. I should say I am very confused if not disturbed having realized that there are no bitstreams available for public yet other than for 0xTocken. Hope you could bring some clarity here. When are you planning on releasing bitstreams for those top profitable algorithms you announced  in May - Keccak, Trubus, Phi1612 and Skuncash? Or did you change your mind for some reason?  
  It is obvious that we are interested to have bitstreams tfor mining top profitable FPGA minable coins available by the time the first batch is delivered or soon after. Otherwise these FPGAs (considering the price, short warranty and difficulties with resale) will only be a huge risk and a waste of money for non-developer miners...

Thanks

It takes quite a lot of work to transition a bitstream from private use to public use (with dev fee and anti-piracy).  Since my original post May 1, the crypto-landscape changed dramatically.  Luxcoin forked away from Phi1612, making Phi1612 useless.  Baikal began mining Keccak with X10 ASICs, making Keccak non-profitable (and also Digital Cruncher released Keccak for the FPGA as well).  The few coins on Skunkhash collapsed, making it so that Skunkhash can only support 2-3 FPGA's at the moment.  The network hash rate on Tribus went up 4x (and also Digital Cruncher released Tribus first),  so what this all meant is that it was better to focus on high-profit coins for public release rather than package-up old bitstreams that are useless.  0xToken is available now, and I am releasing another algorithm on August 11, and four more in early September.  I am no longer going to announce which algorithms will be launched, since it was my original announcement of Phi1612 that was a major factor in LUXcoin forking (in hindsight I should have just launched the bitstream without ever announcing it first).

I hope that clarifies things.  If you still want Tribus and Keccak, you can download them Digital Cruncher's github.  Phi1612 and Skunkhash are available on Sprocket's github, although it isn't really worth installing them.

So basically what I'm getting from all this is, it's very time consuming releasing bitstreams for the public which makes FPGAs vulnerable to forks just like ASICs are. FPGA can't compete with ASICs and can be forked with fairly good success since developers working on bitstreams is scarce..

As a miner you're basically a sitting duck twiddling your thumbs hoping a bistream is released before the coin forks again.

Miners like STAK, SRB and Cast (for gpus) can release new revisions with new algos within hours of a fork.

Say Cryptonight V7 forks again to V8. How long would the wait time be for a updated bitstream?

I like crypto
whitefire990 (OP)
Copper Member

Activity: 166
Merit: 84

View Profile
July 31, 2018, 06:26:40 PM

So basically what I'm getting from all this is, it's very time consuming releasing bitstreams for the public which makes FPGAs vulnerable to forks just like ASICs are. FPGA can't compete with ASICs and can be forked with fairly good success since developers working on bitstreams is scarce..

As a miner you're basically a sitting duck twiddling your thumbs hoping a bistream is released before the coin forks again.

Miners like STAK, SRB and Cast (for gpus) can release new revisions with new algos within hours of a fork.

Say Cryptonight V7 forks again to V8. How long would the wait time be for a updated bitstream?

This true to some extent, it certainly takes longer to develop a bitstream that to change GPU code.  Ironically, the biggest reason for the difference is that it takes a PC seconds to recompile GPU software with a 5-line code change.  Make the same tiny change in your verilog source code and you are looking at 25-80 hours for the tools to rebuild the bitstream and sometimes it can take 20 tries to get one that passes timing (hopefully run in parallel).

A developer who has built an extensive library of functions for previous algorithms can in many cases 'follow a fork' in a very short time.  A developer who does not have access to the same library would take much longer.

Eventually as FPGA's get more popular, developers *will* have access to their own large private libraries of functions and will be able to follow forks pretty quickly, say about 7 days lag time.

COINKING7

Activity: 46

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 01:39:51 AM

Hi everyone,

On June 19th, I purchased the XILINX 1525 with mods and DIMMs from the 1st bulk order on this thread.
I have the receipt to prove it and I'm sure FPGA.land/Squirrels Research will back me up. It will arrive sometime
in August and then I can ship it out. I really wanted to run this card, as projections are $20-$50 per day.
Unfortunately, I need to sell it to pay off some debt. I'm asking $6,000 to cover taxes, shipping, fees, etc.
I know that may seem high but as far as I have researched, Batch 2 is not even close to ready, and people
could be waiting until next year sometime. I will accept ZEN, BTC, ETH and possibly PayPal.

PM me if interested. I'm open to reasonable offers. Highest offer gets it.

Thanks!
iko203
Copper Member

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 05:22:59 AM

Dear all,Is the prj coming out now?
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 07:56:56 AM

Hi everyone,

On June 19th, I purchased the XILINX 1525 with mods and DIMMs from the 1st bulk order on this thread.
I have the receipt to prove it and I'm sure FPGA.land/Squirrels Research will back me up. It will arrive sometime
in August and then I can ship it out. I really wanted to run this card, as projections are $20-$50 per day.
Unfortunately, I need to sell it to pay off some debt. I'm asking $6,000 to cover taxes, shipping, fees, etc.
I know that may seem high but as far as I have researched, Batch 2 is not even close to ready, and people
could be waiting until next year sometime. I will accept ZEN, BTC, ETH and possibly PayPal.

Thanks!
So you are asking 70% more than what you bought it for... Flipping has some good days ahead
COINKING7

Activity: 46

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 03:35:29 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
So you are asking 70% more than what you bought it for... Flipping has some good days ahead

Yes, but I also said I'm open to offers.
whitefire990 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
August 01, 2018, 10:22:15 PM

Dear all,Is the prj coming out now?

It's already been out for a month or more.

wc470902

Activity: 8

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 12:48:05 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I bought 2 that I will sell.  Shall we start the bidding at $10,000 each?
ArkadiyDeliev
Copper Member

Activity: 140
Merit: 9

Anarchy

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2018, 12:56:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Here's one for €4,999.87
https://mineshop.eu/fpga-miners/xilinx-bcu-1525-fpga-detail/

VIDY 👅
Video Layer for Ads ▶
https://www.vidy.com
Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 02:23:16 PM

Scam.
d.v.

Activity: 48
Merit: 4

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 05:51:49 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

without a doubt, i'm sure some people got in to flip on ebay... just watch, they will show up on ebay.
colomine

Activity: 58

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 05:04:45 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2018, 05:37:19 PM by colomine

without a doubt, i'm sure some people got in to flip on ebay... just watch, they will show up on ebay.
With the current FPGA  ROI vs anounced one i would be  surprised if they do not appear on ebay.( I have already seen one for 70000usd) I am having second thoughts myself regarding fpgas because of uncertainty with roi. Despite  it being considered the future of mining etc.
whitefire990 (OP)
Copper Member

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 06:03:55 PM

With the current FPGA  ROI vs anounced one i would be  surprised if they do not appear on ebay.( I have already seen one for 70000usd) I am having second thoughts myself regarding fpgas because of uncertainty with roi. Despite  it being considered the future of mining etc.

The market has dropped a lot since the FPGA hype started.  Right now those that bought at $3350 USD are looking at making around $16-$17 per day, meaning a 200-day ROI; less if you use immersion cooling which drops the ROI down to 170-ish days.  However I still believe the bitcoin ETF will create a huge upswing in the fall.

melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 06:08:46 PM

The market has dropped a lot since the FPGA hype started.  Right now those that bought at $3350 USD are looking at making around $16-$17 per day, meaning a 200-day ROI; less if you use immersion cooling which drops the ROI down to 170-ish days.  However I still believe the bitcoin ETF will create a huge upswing in the fall.

200 day ROI is still very good IMHO.
Also people should realize the low power usage for this return. My 24*1070ti eats (and heats) up 2600w/h
Two BCU will make more money than my whole setup for around 300w...
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 06:22:35 PM

Exactly. When an ETF backed by a solid "old school" finance firm with a long track record that the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) trusts comes to play with the full solution, which includes insurance and custody, there will be a nice swing. Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) plus VanEck plus SolidX has the best chance of approval of any ETF application submitted so far, especially given the changes in the regulatory environment for crypto-currencies.

Additionally, when you get a company like Northern Trust interested and talking with hedge funds about crypto currencies, then you know that there is a market shift/transition in the works. Northern Trust doesn't like risk, and they don't deal with tiny two-bit hedge funds.

No mining at the moment.
ZedZedNova

Activity: 475
Merit: 265

Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 06:28:26 PM

200 day ROI is still very good IMHO.
Also people should realize the low power usage for this return. My 24*1070ti eats (and heats) up 2600w/h
Two BCU will make more money than my whole setup for around 300w...

Power cost and use is key. The current state of the market favors miners with low power costs. If you have free power, then efficiency is less of a concern and you can buy up cheap, but power hungry mining gear. If you have more expensive power, you want more hash/watt efficient gear, and FPGAs deliver that.

Only in the crypto world is an ROI in under a year for equipment "too long."

No mining at the moment.
UOTT2

Activity: 1

View Profile
August 04, 2018, 08:19:25 PM

I agree venture capitalists look for a ROI under 3 years.
Pages: « 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: