Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:50:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY FPGA Mining rig for any algorithm with fast ROI  (Read 99399 times)
HardwareCollector

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 12:35:53 PM

these can be reprogrammed if there is a fork yes but it will still take a month or 2. It takes minutes to switch software on gpu.

Also the next generation of gpus 10nm and 7nm will be out this year that will be big efficiency increase for gpu. Its gonna be a while longer for fpga to get to 10nm and 7nm.

the gap will be closing before you are even finished. Mining is moving so quick now.
Good luck.

FPGAs haven’t been able to compete with GPUs for mining in any meaningful way since their application to SHA256. The main issues being their high costs and very long development cycles.

On the other hand, they are great for low latency, low memory bandwidth, and real-time applications while being very energy efficient. You can say that they are a great complement to GPUs, which are ASICs, by the way, for graphic processing.

So we will have to wait and see if they can be economical for mining in 2018. I am open minded since I have four years of experience working with them.
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 12:46:29 PM

With 5 asics appearing so far this year to take down 5 gpu coins, it seems they can create a new asic every 30 days now. Thus, it is possible that 90+% of future coins are asic coins.

That's not true. They can release a new ASIC every month only because they started developing them last year. A new algo is safe from ASIC for 6-8 months. Some coins (Monero IIRC) have plans to fork every 6 months. Just the threat of that is enough to deter ASIC development for that algo.
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 12:56:37 PM

don't forget that the price you pay to get an fpga isn't equal the cost to make it Smiley.

the real question isn't for how much are sold fpgas but how much do they cost to make.

So, I would say the key is just ethereum and the E3.

E3 sold cheaply --> Lots of E3 sales --> skyrocket eth difficulty -->ETH GPU power moves from ETH to other coins --> the other coins (36% of mining power) cannot take the huge 64% of mining power from ETH GPUs--> difficulty of all other coins skyrocket --> Low gpu/fpga profits--> GPUs sold cheap en masse on ebay

This, it would be better to just focus on making a better Eth asic. ETH controls majority of GPU mining after all. I would think u cant manufacture it cheaper since u dont have economies of scale. Thus, u have to make it more efficient somehow...if u wanna take on the king.

Just my 2 cents

All premised on - "E3 sold cheaply"?

Last time Bitmain increased the price from 800 to 2000 odd. Without even delivering a single one! Bitmain is not going to sell you their money making machine cheap...

why should they? because you are americans? you want an impunity rape card with that too?

@yrk
Bitmain lowered their L3+ price from 2000 to 1500 and to 450. It is now 700+
The D3 was once 5k and then 2.5k and 1.45k and now 311 USD. Yes, 311 USD.

They have huge margins on these machines. Wat makes u think u can compete with them on an expensive FPGA?

Most important question. WHY just WHY do u wanna make an FPGA when one asic already controls 64% of GPU mining? A few asics control most of the GPU mining

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 12:59:06 PM

@Sandal_Hat

Don’t pretend the example I gave makes no financial sense; it would be like arguing with someone that 2 is not less than 3, it’s pointless.

Now, I understand what you are saying but you are also conflating the issues. A reconfigurable system that costs less, and consumes 5x less space and energy; but has comparable hash rates for a given algorithm is preferred for mining, and that’s the issue. If such a system exits, it would push out the less efficient system.

As an aside, I know that dollar for dollar in the long run for mining, FPGAs lose to GPUs, and GPUs lose to ASICs, but it doesn't happen overnight

Look, it doesnt make sense. It will cost too much more, have very little to mine and be at the whim of the antminer E3 pricing basically lol.

Most important question. WHY just WHY do u wanna make an FPGA when one asic already controls 64% of GPU mining? A few asics control most of the GPU mining already.

And this FPGA u are doing is just another GPU. Why? Because anyone can do it. U make a slightly stronger GPU known as FPGA. All u need is abit of dumb money going in there and u make no profits due to high difficulty.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:06:44 PM

Your discussions omit three important parameters:

1) coin price increases (crowds out diff increases)
2) emergence of new coins & algos (reduces asic dominance)
3) the willingness of large coins to fork to fight asics (reduces asic dominance)

These speak against loss of profitability and arguments against reprogrammable fpgas as well.

these can be reprogrammed if there is a fork yes but it will still take a month or 2. It takes minutes to switch software on gpu.

Also the next generation of gpus 10nm and 7nm will be out this year that will be big efficiency increase for gpu. Its gonna be a while longer for fpga to get to 10nm and 7nm.

the gap will be closing before you are even finished. Mining is moving so quick now.
Good luck.

It seems u dont understand how eth controls most of the GPU mining difficulty and how mining difficulty for GPU is linked.

Why dont u guys just go do it and waste your money then. U will not be able to compete on price or efficiency. U will be at the whim of the E3 miner price and u will have very little to mine and that amount will keep decreasing.

Also, wat u are doing is nothing proprietary since everyone can just go in and do it. As it is, just a lowered E3 price would mean alot of GPUs add to other coin mining difficulty.

Perhaps state wat u spend and wat the FPGA can do here and track your returns. And when u lose money, u will realize why crypto manufactures dont make the FPGA that u are doing. They can do it at a larger scale, at a cheaper rate and easily beat wat u are doing But they wont because it isnt workable or is just too small to bother with.

DigitalCruncher

Activity: 59
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:16:05 PM

Look, it doesnt make sense. It will cost too much more, have very little to mine and be at the whim of the antminer E3 pricing basically lol.

Most important question. WHY just WHY do u wanna make an FPGA when one asic already controls 64% of GPU mining? A few asics control most of the GPU mining already.

And this FPGA u are doing is just another GPU. Why? Because anyone can do it. U make a slightly stronger GPU known as FPGA. All u need is abit of dumb money going in there and u make no profits due to high difficulty.

In my opinion, interest to FPGA can be short-term, when you need to mine a certain number of coins before the release of ASIC. Like a Groestl, Nist5 and others.
But a more fundamental interest may be to offer a useful proof of work function  which can also be ASIC-resistant.
By setting new standards for the usefulness of the POW function, we will strengthen mining on FPGA in the long term.
In the end, someone uses mega-FPGA cards in real life. For what? Amazon AWS earns with them, why not do the same?
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:21:42 PM

With 5 asics appearing so far this year to take down 5 gpu coins, it seems they can create a new asic every 30 days now. Thus, it is possible that 90+% of future coins are asic coins.

That's not true. They can release a new ASIC every month only because they started developing them last year. A new algo is safe from ASIC for 6-8 months. Some coins (Monero IIRC) have plans to fork every 6 months. Just the threat of that is enough to deter ASIC development for that algo.

It does not matter if new algo is safe for 6-8 months. Difficulty is CONNECTED.

An OLD ALGO gets taken over by asic and all the GPU/FPGA miners on that old algo have to go to your new algo coin. Difficulty of new algo go up. Now, the new algo u are mining makes very little, if any. Lets say the old algo has 5-10% of total GPU mining power. The new smaller algo only have 2-3% of old mining power. Wat do u think happens when huge mining power (2-3 times more) moves to the new smaller algo? The new algo coin becomes worthless to mine. The old algo coin that gets taken over will be a bigger coin with more mining power. Asics always target the bigger coin

That is why GPUs have been losing market share and thus, are now easier to buy than before. What u are doing with FPGA is just making another GPU lol. A few algos control the GPU market. Thus, a few asics control the gpu mining market.

I guess u people just have too much feelings or something. I bid u god luck anyways. All the best.

Lunga Chung

Activity: 277
Merit: 23

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:27:31 PM

I fully agree with prospect of FPGA vs ASIC but the point is that you are not that dependent of one manufacturer. There is no reason to wait for E3 for example over 3 months right, since its basically a nice packed GPU rig. and by the time you get it everyone gets it. Imagine that you can mine now CNv7 with 1 card @ 64Khs. Also the flexibility and consumption vs GPU is pretty good. Agree that the pricing is out of range for most miners....
B1tUnl0ck3r

Activity: 854
Merit: 277

liife threw a tempest at you? be a coconut !

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:29:09 PM

Good luck.

chineses farms will have all the supply of chips Smiley. where are those gpus made? ehehe... will there be gdr6 finally or it's will all be hbm2? will they all have small gram bus? I bet...

it's the apple model... always leave something out, for the "next forced upgrade"...

and subsidiary will directX 13 be only avaiable against payement or the telemetry (aka full spying on your public computer) is enough from microsoft to make money?

I fully agree with prospect of FPGA vs ASIC but the point is that you are not that dependent of one manufacturer. There is no reason to wait for E3 for example over 3 months right, since its basically a nice packed GPU rig. and by the time you get it everyone gets it. Imagine that you can mine now CNv7 with 1 card @ 64Khs. Also the flexibility and consumption vs GPU is pretty good. Agree that the pricing is out of range for most miners....

why sell proftable fpga? take a loan and build more for yourself Smiley.

When the people of the world will get that covid was intentionally released to frame china, steal the election from trump, assure massive bail outs and foster the forced vaccination agendas...they will forget, like 911, wmds in irak, uss liberty or pedogate.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:32:08 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2018, 01:45:41 PM by vapourminer

==============================
What it is already CHECKMATE FOR GPU/FPGA
U just dont realize it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/7wufiq/ethereum_is_64_of_all_gpu_mining_by_power_09gw_of/
According to this thread, ETH is 64% of all GPU mining power. I always thought it was above 50%.

That being said, the antminer E3 is actually checkmate for GPU already. If they just push it down to 800 USD again. Sales of E3 will skyrocket leading to ETH difficulty skyrocket. GPUs will move out of ETH to other coins. Difficulty of other coins will rise too. GPUs will be wiped out and probably sold en mass cheap on ebay. U see, they can manufacture it at too cheaply for gpus to compete.

U are actually not competing with your asic competitor with your FPGA. U are at their mercy. I hope u realize this. I am talking about existing asics and not them having to come up with a stronger one yet.

FPGA can only win if lets say over 50% of GPU mining power is shared among say 100 crypto coins. Ahhh and then, u would wanna use FPGA because it is too difficult to create 100 different asics to mine 100 different coins.
However, that isnt the case in crypto world. Eth holds 64% lol and a few major coins hold most of the other %. That is why crypto manufacturers mostly build Asics. They arent stupid. With 5 asics appearing so far this year to take down 5 gpu coins, it seems they can create a new asic every 30 days now. Thus, it is possible that 90+% of future coins are asic coins.

Now, do wise up and stop pointing that small handgun at the tanks and bazookas. U aint gonna win. Oh and u are welcome buddy

P.S> U may even wanna consider shorting nvdia and amd stock in july-august before earnings lol. The downdraft should show up by then.

Just my 2 cents.

you make some good points. i do think you are not taking some things into consideration though, and thats the versatility and longevity of something like this.

i will be buying a xupp3r (although i will use ddr400 memory at 1st, as the qdrii+ is crazy expensive).

why? its not to compete with asics, you cant. i own none and dont intend to buy any, im GPU only with a power budget of 1500 watts (my self imposed limit, no reason i couldnt do more). its because i want the power efficiency and density that a fpga can give me. plus the versatility.

sure any current or new algo can have an asic built, but it will take time. a fpga is more nimble, load a new bitsteam and go. for that period of time of no asic for the algo, the fpga will rule compared to gpus.

also there is no reason a xupp3r cant last for years and still be pretty competitive even against other fpgas. sure new ones may come out that are more energy efficient but not by orders of magnitude. as long as it has the capacity to fit the bitsteam it will be useful. thats why i figure ill go with the xupp3r as it seems the most advanced one of those being discussed here, and it has the most connectivity (link up to 4 of them for any algo thats too large to fit in one unit).

plus, i like playing with new tech. give me a reason to learn programming (although i will never be good enough to bang out algos) it will be fun just to play around. what can i say, i like shiny new toys.

will i lose money on it, possibly. but thats the chance ill take, and if i do lose, no regerts. for me the tech is the most fun. if it loses money, well im sure i could find another use for it, at least something better than a doorstop anyway.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:33:00 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2018, 01:47:35 PM by Sandal_Hat

In my opinion, interest to FPGA can be short-term, when you need to mine a certain number of coins before the release of ASIC. Like a Groestl, Nist5 and others.
But a more fundamental interest may be to offer a useful proof of work function  which can also be ASIC-resistant.
By setting new standards for the usefulness of the POW function, we will strengthen mining on FPGA in the long term.
In the end, someone uses mega-FPGA cards in real life. For what? Amazon AWS earns with them, why not do the same?

Summary.

FPGA is not workable when one asic controls 64% of GPU mining market.
Lets say u use FPGAs and they now control 20% of remaining market via 8 algos.
One asic will appear and easily cut it to 15%. They will take the major coin away again...

Your FPGA is basically an antminer S7 and when new asic appears, it gets "downgraded" to be an S5. More FPGAs/GPUs will also join in the crowd as u earn less. U may not even be able to be profitable once it gets downgraded to S5. Do note that difficulty increase does not lower profit, it lowers REVENUE. So, u may go negative on mining once it "downgrades to an S5". I strongly doubt it will work because the asics are far cheaper and too much more efficient and majority of the market is centered around a few big algos.

This is not yet including the biggest problem which the E3 that can mine eth, which controls 64% of the GPU. It can keep pushing more GPU mining power to the coins u are mining.

No point I keep repeating. I find it conceptually just a horrible idea.

Hope to see transparency in numbers and figures to brave souls those who attempt this project. Good luck people Smiley

Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:37:28 PM

What it is already CHECKMATE FOR GPU/FPGA
U just dont realize it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/7wufiq/ethereum_is_64_of_all_gpu_mining_by_power_09gw_of/
According to this thread, ETH is 64% of all GPU mining power. I always thought it was above 50%.

That being said, the antminer E3 is actually checkmate for GPU already. If they just push it down to 800 USD again. Sales of E3 will skyrocket leading to ETH difficulty skyrocket. GPUs will move out of ETH to other coins. Difficulty of other coins will rise too. GPUs will be wiped out and probably sold en mass cheap on ebay. U see, they can manufacture it at too cheaply for gpus to compete.

U are actually not competing with your asic competitor with your FPGA. U are at their mercy. I hope u realize this. I am talking about existing asics and not them having to come up with a stronger one yet.

FPGA can only win if lets say over 50% of GPU mining power is shared among say 100 crypto coins. Ahhh and then, u would wanna use FPGA because it is too difficult to create 100 different asics to mine 100 different coins.
However, that isnt the case in crypto world. Eth holds 64% lol and a few major coins hold most of the other %. That is why crypto manufacturers mostly build Asics. They arent stupid. With 5 asics appearing so far this year to take down 5 gpu coins, it seems they can create a new asic every 30 days now. Thus, it is possible that 90+% of future coins are asic coins.

Now, do wise up and stop pointing that small handgun at the tanks and bazookas. U aint gonna win. Oh and u are welcome buddy

P.S> U may even wanna consider shorting nvdia and amd stock in july-august before earnings lol. The downdraft should show up by then.

Just my 2 cents.

you make some good points. i do think you are not taking some things into consideration though, and thats the versatility and longevity of something like this.

i will be buying a xupp3r (although i will use ddr400 memory at 1st, as the qdrii+ is crazy expensive).

why? its not to compete with asics, you cant. i own none and dont intend to buy any, im GPU only with a power budget of 1500 watts (my self imposed limit, no reason i couldnt do more). its because i want the power efficiency and density that a fpga can give me. plus the versatility.

sure any current or new algo can have an asic built, but it will take time. a fpga is more nimble, load a new bitsteam and go. for that period of time on with no asic for the algo, the fpga will rule compared to gpus.

also there is no reason a xupp3r cant last for years and still be pretty competitive even against other fpgas. sure new ones may come out that are more energy efficient but not by orders of magnitude. as long as it has the capacity to fit the bitsteam it will be useful. thats why i figure ill go with the xupp3r as it seems the most advanced one of those being discussed here, and it has the most connectivity (link up to 4 of them for any algo thats too large to fit in one unit).

plus, i like playing with new tech. give me a reason to learn programming (although i will never be good enough to bang out algos) it will be fun just to play around.

Maybe u have too much guts lol. The crazy expensive part is the problem. It is more expensive and less efficient. Versatility just isnt worth it when mining difficulty will go to your coins anyways due to new and current asics. Asic manufacturers can flood the market like crazy. It wont be the first time.

Perhaps u can update on the total expected cost and hashrate of its best coin when u get the info.

vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 01:52:53 PM

Summary.

One asic will appear and easily cut it to 15%. They will take the major coin away again...

Your FPGA is basically an antminer S7 and when new asic appears, it gets "downgraded" to be an S5. More FPGAs/GPUs will also join in the crowd as u earn less. U may not even be able to be profitable once it gets downgraded to S5. Do note that difficulty increase does not lower profit, it lowers REVENUE. So, u may go negative on mining once it "downgrades to an S5". I strongly doubt it will work because the asics are far cheaper and too much more efficient and majority of the market is centered around a few big algos.

This is not yet including the biggest problem which the E3 that can mine eth, which controls 64% of the GPU. It can keep pushing more GPU mining power to the coins u are mining.

Hope to see transparency in numbers and figures to brave souls those who attempt this project. Good luck people Smiley

you keep harping on the e3, sha256 and other currently asic dominated stuff. those are done deals, no ones gonna use a fpga to mine those (or at least long term) thats not why we (or i) would go with this. there are enough non asic algos to make it profitable. part of the fpga strategy is using its reprogramability  to move among different algos. basically what gpu miner do now.

also i envision we could, if needed, put bounty programs up to get new bitstreams up faster.

suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 01:58:47 PM

An OLD ALGO gets taken over by asic and all the GPU/FPGA miners on that old algo have to go to your new algo coin. Difficulty of new algo go up. Now, the new algo u are mining makes very little, if any. Lets say the old algo has 5-10% of total GPU mining power. The new smaller algo only have 2-3% of old mining power. Wat do u think happens when huge mining power (2-3 times more) moves to the new smaller algo? The new algo coin becomes worthless to mine. The old algo coin that gets taken over will be a bigger coin with more mining power. Asics always target the bigger coin

That is why GPUs have been losing market share and thus, are now easier to buy than before. What u are doing with FPGA is just making another GPU lol. A few algos control the GPU market. Thus, a few asics control the gpu mining market.

I guess u people just have too much feelings or something. I bid u god luck anyways. All the best.

No, it looks like you have strong feelings on this subject Smiley

Most other posters have a much more pragmatic approach. I've been mining with GPUs and ASICs so I'm quite sure I have a fairly good grasp on how this works. You're dismissing a lot of variables - power consumption, density, forks, exchange rates, etc. BTW the best time to be a GPU miner was when there were cheap GPUs flooding eBay.
Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Summary.

you keep harping on the e3 and sha256 stuff. those are done deals, no ones gonna use a fpga to mine those (or at least long term) thats not why we (or i) would go with this. there are enough non asic algos to make it profitable. part of the fpga strategy us using its reprogramability  to move among different algos. basically what gpu miner do now.

also i envision we could, if needed, put bounty programs up to get new bitstreams up faster.

Those are done but the impact hasnt been felt yet. It will have some impact later and more over time. If u understand, u would sell all your GPUs lol.

Nope, it is a fools play. U still have the thinking as long as I have some non-asic coin to mine, i win. Not at all. When more and more of the GPUs push difficulty of those coins u are mining up, u will make a trickle of profit per month on your fpga or possibly nothing. I guess u will realize why most crypto manufacturers dont take this step from the get go.

Post your purchase and hashrate perhaps and keep this thread update.

shanepottermi

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:03:57 PM

OP said these cards take 100w - 160w.. they'll be profitable on something for a while. People aren't going to mine algos with GPUs that lose money lol From the sounds of it these cards will remain profitable long after GPUs are no longer possible. The arguments here are cost vs hashrate vs GPUs.. but you have to remember that the GPUs will consume significantly more power than the equivalent hashrate of a GPU rig. You're also repeating yourself over and over again which honestly seems like you're attempting to just scare people off from the idea of using these cuz 'muh ASICS are coming for everything'. I think everyones aware of what happens to other cryptos when ETH either goes ASIC or Proof of stake.. the insane amount of hashrate pointed at ETH will move. Markets adapt.. at this point I think a lot of anti ASIC cryptos are getting annoyed with these ASIC companies and will likely create a plan to have backup algos slightly modified to switch to prior to an ASIC being released for their current algo. The current ETH ASIC aren't super awesome. At 800 they're decent but add on shipping an a PSU and it pushes the price up.. they can't just flood the market with these or they'll kill the profitability on ETH and they won't sell more of them or possibly annoy ETH devs to the point they really do fork. If anything the current ETH ASIC is likely just going to put a cap on the profitability of ETH.. when ETH increases significantly and GPUs are scarce they'll be able to dump another round of ETH ASICs on the market essentially capping the profit at a certain point to a certain extent.
vapourminer
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:05:06 PM

Maybe u have too much guts lol. The crazy expensive part is the problem. It is more expensive and less efficient. Versatility just isnt worth it when mining difficulty will go to your coins anyways due to new and current asics. Asic manufacturers can flood the market like crazy. It wont be the first time.

Perhaps u can update on the total expected cost and hashrate of its best coin when u get the info.

guts? heh no not really. but i have no problem tossing 6 grand at an experiment that might bomb. that just makes me a somewhat stupid risk taker. at least if i lose this one im still alive, as opposed to some of my other hobbies.

im betting on some coins adopting an anti asic stance. no sense in developing an asic for a coin you know they will change the algo for.

difficulty is a known problem and always has been. its part of the game. we have dealt with it with varying degrees of success before and (hopefully) will continue to do so.

we will see. i will give all data as to profit/loss etc when i am up and running.

Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:05:13 PM

No, it looks like you have strong feelings on this subject Smiley

Most other posters have a much more pragmatic approach. I've been mining with GPUs and ASICs so I'm quite sure I have a fairly good grasp on how this works. You're dismissing a lot of variables - power consumption, density, forks, exchange rates, etc. BTW the best time to be a GPU miner was when there were cheap GPUs flooding eBay.

I dont have such feelings lol. This is kinda obvious. Bitcoin + mining is a small portion of my assets. Just because it works before doesnt mean it works always. It is human nature to be resistance to change though.

Those GPUs will be there because it is not profitable to use them. Ok then, I guess it is time to put your money where your mouth is.
Perhaps update the cost and hashrate when u buy and program these FPGA then and the profits lol. Lets see.

Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:06:17 PM

guts? heh no not really. but i have no problem tossing 6 grand at an experiment that might bomb. that just makes me a somewhat stupid risk taker. at least if i lose this one im still alive, as opposed to some of my other hobbies.

im betting on some coins adopting an anti asic stance. no sense in developing an asic for a coin you know will change the algo for.

we will see. i will give all data as to profit/loss etc when i am up and running.

Well buddy, last time people ride horse. Now, there are cars.
Ok man, will look at your updates then.

Sandal_Hat

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 02:12:31 PM

OP said these cards take 100w - 160w.. they'll be profitable on something for a while. People aren't going to mine algos with GPUs that lose money lol From the sounds of it these cards will remain profitable long after GPUs are no longer possible. The arguments here are cost vs hashrate vs GPUs.. but you have to remember that the GPUs will consume significantly more power than the equivalent hashrate of a GPU rig. You're also repeating yourself over and over again which honestly seems like you're attempting to just scare people off from the idea of using these cuz 'muh ASICS are coming for everything'. I think everyones aware of what happens to other cryptos when ETH either goes ASIC or Proof of stake.. the insane amount of hashrate pointed at ETH will move. Markets adapt.. at this point I think a lot of anti ASIC cryptos are getting annoyed with these ASIC companies and will likely create a plan to have backup algos slightly modified to switch to prior to an ASIC being released for their current algo. The current ETH ASIC aren't super awesome. At 800 they're decent but add on shipping an a PSU and it pushes the price up.. they can't just flood the market with these or they'll kill the profitability on ETH and they won't sell more of them or possibly annoy ETH devs to the point they really do fork. If anything the current ETH ASIC is likely just going to put a cap on the profitability of ETH.. when ETH increases significantly and GPUs are scarce they'll be able to dump another round of ETH ASICs on the market essentially capping the profit at a certain point to a certain extent.

i am repeating because it is quite ridiculous. lol, wat adapt when it is 64%.
Look GPU is 2500 USD for 180mh and E3 can be as low as 800 USD for 180mh. It is somewhat similar to the S9 vs S7 where the S9 is 3 times more efficient. In this case, efficiency is same but cost is far lower. It really depends on E3 pricing. More expensive and less efficient eventually becomes obsolete or cant break even.

There is nothing to gain from scaring anyone haha. If u lot buy into asics, it will increase the network difficulty alot because asics are cheaper on a per hashrate basis. If u lot buy this FPGA instead, it will increase network difficulty far lesser since it is more expensive per hashrate basis. I should be abit happier that more mining money of others will be soaked up for less hashrate. I am not though, doesnt matter to me. I own no GPUs now, juz some asics.

Good luck to u and perhaps track your numbers here too ya.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: