Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:33:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY FPGA Mining rig for any algorithm with fast ROI  (Read 99393 times)
powerload79

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 11:10:45 AM

Indeed! Where there is money there is a solution usually. It will take some time, but if orders for FPGA rise at prices the sellers make good money, production increase will follow.

That doesn't follow at all, hence the GPU shortages. Increasing manufacturing capacity costs money. Having that capacity unused also costs money. GPU manufacturers decided to not increase capacity because the risk of mining demand dropping is too great. FPGAs are no different, except starting from a lower base, a drop in demand and dumping on eBay would result in even greater losses later on for the manufacturers.
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4867

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 12:01:55 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 12:20:09 PM by Hueristic

The last thing I want to do is see this come out and totally annihilate GPU mining.  And that is exactly what it has the potential to do.  Profitability for everything else will be completely destroyed and we'll be stuck fire selling everything we have in the hope we can get in line to acquire this hardware and software.

no, gpus will always have something to mine, as some algos will almost certainly be created with anti asic/fpga properties. wont stop fpga/asics but will make it much more expensive to develop.

OhGodaCompany has its ProgPOW plans that will leverage so much of a gpus capabilities (not just CUDA cores or whatever) that its just not worth emulating with fpga/asic, as to do it one would basically have to emulate an entire gpu to do it. easier just to use a real gpu.

of course it remains to be seen how that goes, but fpga/asic is not the end of pow on gpus. at least not yet.

ProgPow is a bit of marketing. The hardest part of it is still the memory bandwidth. Nothing really changes.

If you take a look at the paranoia in the monero community now..... Is that really what the coin devs want for their coins? All of their miners and holders to be in a constant state of paranoia about secret asics? Wouldn't even need an asic at that point to destroy a coin. Just a large GPU cluster causing diff spikes to make the community freak out.

I made an asic for monero that could survive their fork!!  Kiss I'm mining 100Kh/s  Cheesy Grin -- That, plus a little bit of falsified evidence and the community would be frothing. Seems like it's almost more profitable to put the fud algo in an asic so it can be more power efficient. Poloniex has options now, right?

This is just a foolish statement, it's about curtailing future centralization such as what we see with bitcoin. Lose the hyperbole. We tend to play the long game and are not the fools in this scene that can be manipulated like your off the cuff suggestion. You might be able to catch some redditt fools on that but not here. This has been a ongoing discussion since day one and in no way shape or form came as a surprise, as a matter of fact I would bet it was staved off for years just do to the discussions about what our stated reaction would be.

BTW, I happen to know a few methods that would grind these babies to a crawl. I don't think Monero needs to worry about these they are not the same threat as a massive Asic dump. Your buy here is not going to put a dent in the emission.

Indeed! Where there is money there is a solution usually. It will take some time, but if orders for FPGA rise at prices the sellers make good money, production increase will follow.

That doesn't follow at all, hence the GPU shortages. Increasing manufacturing capacity costs money. Having that capacity unused also costs money. GPU manufacturers decided to not increase capacity because the risk of mining demand dropping is too great. FPGAs are no different, except starting from a lower base, a drop in demand and dumping on eBay would result in even greater losses later on for the manufacturers.

Correct and these are not being designed and manufactured in secret, they can just as easily be forked away. And anyone that thinks because just their array can change on the fly does not understand the basic restrictions inherent in the design.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
GPUHoarder

Activity: 154
Merit: 37

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 02:03:38 PM

The last thing I want to do is see this come out and totally annihilate GPU mining.  And that is exactly what it has the potential to do.  Profitability for everything else will be completely destroyed and we'll be stuck fire selling everything we have in the hope we can get in line to acquire this hardware and software.

no, gpus will always have something to mine, as some algos will almost certainly be created with anti asic/fpga properties. wont stop fpga/asics but will make it much more expensive to develop.

OhGodaCompany has its ProgPOW plans that will leverage so much of a gpus capabilities (not just CUDA cores or whatever) that its just not worth emulating with fpga/asic, as to do it one would basically have to emulate an entire gpu to do it. easier just to use a real gpu.

of course it remains to be seen how that goes, but fpga/asic is not the end of pow on gpus. at least not yet.

ProgPow is a bit of marketing. The hardest part of it is still the memory bandwidth. Nothing really changes.

If you take a look at the paranoia in the monero community now..... Is that really what the coin devs want for their coins? All of their miners and holders to be in a constant state of paranoia about secret asics? Wouldn't even need an asic at that point to destroy a coin. Just a large GPU cluster causing diff spikes to make the community freak out.

I made an asic for monero that could survive their fork!!  Kiss I'm mining 100Kh/s  Cheesy Grin -- That, plus a little bit of falsified evidence and the community would be frothing. Seems like it's almost more profitable to put the fud algo in an asic so it can be more power efficient. Poloniex has options now, right?

This is just a foolish statement, it's about curtailing future centralization such as what we see with bitcoin. Lose the hyperbole. We tend to play the long game and are not the fools in this scene that can be manipulated like your off the cuff suggestion. You might be able to catch some redditt fools on that but not here. This has been a ongoing discussion since day one and in no way shape or form came as a surprise, as a matter of fact I would bet it was staved off for years just do to the discussions about what our stated reaction would be.

BTW, I happen to know a few methods that would grind these babies to a crawl. I don't think Monero needs to worry about these they are not the same threat as a massive Asic dump. Your buy here is not going to put a dent in the emission.

Correct and these are not being designed and manufactured in secret, they can just as easily be forked away. And anyone that thinks because just their array can change on the fly does not understand the basic restrictions inherent in the design.

1. The supply chains to build these things are not infinite, and some lead time components stretch 42 weeks or more now.

2. You can not “fork away” from what’s coming in the FPGA world. There is exactly one piece - memory bandwidth - left, and it will be solved with in the year. It is already in the works.
peggleg

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 02:54:44 PM

Hi all,

When will the nexys video be supported?
Apologies for posting here and Discord channel... Just really excited to test as the board is not too expensive Smiley

Thanks
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 03:21:03 PM
Merited by greyday (1)

"some" reddit fools? You should check the subreddits again. Also, Those fools are what give your coin value. You might not want to call them fools.

Zcoin forked away from a single [marketing] comment. My lyra2z 8,8,8 design isn't even complete yet.

Iamtutut

Activity: 1120
Merit: 131

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 03:36:51 PM

"some" reddit fools? You should check the subreddits again. Also, Those fools are what give your coin value. You might not want to call them fools.

Zcoin forked away from a single [marketing] comment. My lyra2z 8,8,8 design isn't even complete yet.

Could you also later develop the miner(s) for the algo ? One for FPGA and another for GPUs
senseless

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 03:44:36 PM

Could you also later develop the miner(s) for the algo ? One for FPGA and another for GPUs

I don't develop GPU code at all.

HardwareCollector

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 03:48:15 PM

Might be a lost cause, MTP v1.2 is the future for Zcoin Grin
dll70dll

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 11:17:21 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2018, 11:43:02 PM by dll70dll

So just looking at FPGA mining. Intresting but what a price $4k-$5 per card. Any other cards out there cheaper and do the job.
I see intel offering some FPGA https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/fpga/devices.html

mineroc

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:24:40 AM

Hi all,

Apologies for posting here and Discord channel... Just really excited to test as the board is not too expensive Smiley

Thanks

OP said he would so ordered one as proof of work.

So just looking at FPGA mining. Intresting but what a price $4k-$5 per card. Any other cards out there cheaper and do the job.
I see intel offering some FPGA https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/fpga/devices.html

Was looking at these guys:
http://www.hitechglobal.com/Boards/Virtex_UltraScale+_Vita57.4.htm

Thought their cards don't look as robust.  OP mentioned being aware of a dozen vendors, so I'm thinking he went w/these two for a reason.
senseless

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 04:38:43 AM

Hi all,

Thanks

Thought their cards don't look as robust.  OP mentioned being aware of a dozen vendors, so I'm thinking he went w/these two for a reason.

The lowest price is my sig.

mineroc

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 05:35:37 AM

Hi all,

Thanks

Thought their cards don't look as robust.  OP mentioned being aware of a dozen vendors, so I'm thinking he went w/these two for a reason.

Will modded cards void warranty, are the mods those listed on OP's website or more involved?

What's the manufacturer warranty on these things?  

No offense to you (I'm new to the forum) but do you have a history of previous group buys?  

Are these on hand, what's the ETA?

When are you opening orders?
senseless

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 06:39:21 AM

Hi all,

Thanks

Thought their cards don't look as robust.  OP mentioned being aware of a dozen vendors, so I'm thinking he went w/these two for a reason.

Will modded cards void warranty, are the mods those listed on OP's website or more involved?

What's the manufacturer warranty on these things?  

No offense to you (I'm new to the forum) but do you have a history of previous group buys?  

Are these on hand, what's the ETA?

When are you opening orders?

We're providing the warranty. We're still working out those details though.

I'd like to answer the other questions, but these discussions have already been had ad nauseam. If you wouldn't mind, please read through the thread. I'll put together a FAQ in the OP when time permits.

peggleg

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 09:52:39 AM

Anyone tested mining on AWS FPGA instances? Is it even possible
aarigs

Activity: 49

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 09:56:29 AM

possible but they prevent you to do it when you pay with credits and it is expensive when you pay for it ...
Bit_Bull82

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 10:59:53 AM

This is amazing. But the expertise required seems to hard to do as an amateur.
Will try to dig around more, maybe order one to try it out!
melpheos

Activity: 557
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 11:49:20 AM

possible but they prevent you to do it when you pay with credits and it is expensive when you pay for it ...
I think senseless or gpuhoarder did that for a year without issue and it was very profitable (50% revenue over cost ie he had to pay 50$ to get 100$)
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 4867

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 12:05:22 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2018, 01:06:55 PM by Hueristic

1. The supply chains to build these things are not infinite, and some lead time components stretch 42 weeks or more now.

2. You can not “fork away” from what’s coming in the FPGA world. There is exactly one piece - memory bandwidth - left, and it will be solved with in the year. It is already in the works.

OK, so your point 1 is making my point from above that they are not being made in secret and you point 2 is just wrong. Bandwidth is but one component and GPU's are not even Memory Bandwidth limited yet and when they are there is a thing called a bus that can be increased. Your arguments on memory can all be applied to any processing unit so your running on circular logic with that argument when it comes to a advantage one process has over another. Sure Programmable dies are not eproms anymore but what differentiates them from hard coded substrate is what makes it impossible for them to ever be on a even level. I am not arguing that they have not made great strides but you are in a fantasy land here if you think they can ever compete evenly.

My coin? I do not control any coin, I just want to free the world from the yoke of tyranny through the monetary system. ATM monero is the best case scenario for that, if that changes then I will change with it. BTW that value was in existence long before those fools showed up, the only reason they are there is because its one big moderated echo chamber.

So Zcash forked away from a single marketing comment? I wouldn't know or care about that. I have no interest in any trusted setup, if I did I wouldn't be here I'd just stay under the banking yoke. BTW I find that hard to believe but stranger things have happened. My guess is you don't have all the information.

Your sole reason for being here may be monetary gain but don't automatically assume the same is for everyone else.

This is a niche industry that has been around for far longer than crypto currency and has it's place in many applications. IIRC inititially it was used as a testbed for cpu logic before the costly manufacturing process. It's alot more fun to find a bug in the logic before you roll out a few million cpu's. Just ask Intel.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
iceTony
Copper Member

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 12:08:40 PM

Hello! Im interested buying FPGA rig of 4 Cards, for testing. Where i can find list on needed parts to build it ? Where i can find FPGD to buy ? If anyone can help me (not for free), pls contact me discord Nebemires#2556, e-mail Orionas3@gmail.com
Strovu

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 02:22:48 PM

Is this a joke:
"Cutting a custom copper plate from stock metal, and using SAC305 solder paste to solder it to a Thermaltake water cooling block using a toaster oven"

from: http://zetheron.com/index.php/hardware-modifications/
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 »
  Print  

Jump to: