Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:37:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here we go again ...now its Instawallet.org ?  (Read 4433 times)
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 12:47:18 PM

It does not have to be my laptop/computer. Linuxcoin is a self contained operating system that I can boot almost any pc to. I don't see their hard disk and they don't see my operating system.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 12:55:22 PM

It does not have to be my laptop/computer. Linuxcoin is a self contained operating system that I can boot almost any pc to. I don't see their hard disk and they don't see my operating system.

Again though, this presumes that there will be a computer freely available for you to use anywhere and anytime you want to spend coins.

I may be wrong, but I doubt Meze Grille would let you plug your USB flash drive into their computers when you were ready to pay in bitcoins. Even if you can convince them, others might not be so easily convinced.

And then there are the times where the receiver doesn't have a computer on them; they might have a smartphone that lets them ssh to their system.

I don't see Linuxcoin being a broadly-viable solution.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:30:07 PM

His How do you spend bitcoins away from home?

ssh into my machine and spend the coins

Yep.

Now, if someone can't or doesn't want to do that, what options do they have?

So you want to give your bitcoins to anonymous guys in the cloud?
Then proceed, but don't complain

Believe me, I haven't (and when the time comes, won't) complain. But then I'm not storing the bulk of my stash online either.

Still, that wasn't exactly a responsive answer to the question: if ssh to the home computer is out of the question, what other options are available?

There are not many, yet:
Bitcoin on smartphone, see the dev subforum
Php frontend for bitcoind (three of them)
Keep your wallet with you, in a truecrypted usb key
Find another solution

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
relmeas

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:45:12 PM

how do you people not realise that the only reason it "still works fine" is that the total amount of stored BTC is still under the planned target at which the service owner will run with all your money?

sometimes the sheer stupidity of some people amazes me.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:53:36 PM

Still, that wasn't exactly a responsive answer to the question: if ssh to the home computer is out of the question, what other options are available?

There are not many, yet:

OK. (I'll move your first example to the bottom of the list, because it's the best one.)

Php frontend for bitcoind (three of them)

I suppose I should have been more clear. I'm looking for a solution when the home computer simply won't be online and running code for you whenever you're not home.

How do you spend from it?

Find another solution

I've been looking, and am hoping better solutions present themselves. For now a few coins in an online wallet I can access from my smartphone seems to be the best choice to suit my needs, even including the virtual certainty of those coins eventually disappearing.

Now this would be the holy grail, although from what I've been reading so far, there are going to be major issues getting it to work properly. Last I checked, some folks had lost coins on the actual Android-phone wallet clients that are in use; I'll just let the bugs get worked out for now.

Have you tried any of the bitcoin smartphone apps that don't require a home system setup for remote access?

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 01:56:31 PM

how do you people not realise that the only reason it "still works fine" is that the total amount of stored BTC is still under the planned target at which the service owner will run with all your money?

sometimes the sheer stupidity of some people amazes me.

Which is exactly why anyone who doesn't need to use an online wallet SHOULD NOT USE ONE.

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:04:31 PM

If you don't have a laptop, there are cheap ones I believe (like eeepc or so maybe?)
It's better to buy a laptop than lose all your coins online

Now this would be the holy grail, although from what I've been reading so far, there are going to be major issues getting it to work properly. Last I checked, some folks had lost coins on the actual Android-phone wallet clients that are in use; I'll just let the bugs get worked out for now.

Have you tried any of the bitcoin smartphone apps that don't require a home system setup for remote access?
No, they are all for Android, I don't have one

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:43:08 PM

If you don't have a laptop, there are cheap ones I believe (like eeepc or so maybe?)
It's better to buy a laptop than lose all your coins online

Yep. I like the idea. I've been looking at a cheap, tiny little laptop that I'm planning to get soon. I'm still debating whether or not to install Linux on the thing (I know folks, I know, not this thread though, please?)

I just see two little problems.

First is that I'll either need to have a cellular modem for the thing, or make sure I have wifi access when sending (not a guarantee in my area.) Fortunately, my smartphone can take care of this, but now should I want to spend bitcoins someplace, I'll be juggling the laptop AND the smartphone.

Second, is that now I'm carrying a laptop around with me. The one I'm looking at is small, but it's not pocket-sized. Encryption and backups let me keep my bitcoins secure if anything happens to the laptop, but still, the laptop itself is a bit of a concern: it costs more than I'd ever keep online.

Obviously, neither of these two issues is insurmountable. In fact, I'll probably go ahead and experiment with this. But for now my only real answer to having portable bitcoins is to use an online wallet, keep the amount stored in there VERY low (ideally only shove coins in just before heading out the door, and transfer them back as soon as I get home), and to NOT trust the site, instead behaving as if they will eventually disappear.

Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:45:25 PM

Retards why cant you just keep your own wallet. Is it really so hard?  All i see around here is a bunch of people crying about how someone stole my bitcoins.  well you deserve it. IMO

Watch what you say man, you could jinx yourself there Wink.  For a lot of people keeping there wallet online is much safer and convenient.  The fact is more and more people using bitcoin these days aren't tech people, and you can't expect them to know what measures they need to take to protect their money either on a server or on their own computer.  Instead of people pointing and laughing at the people who lost their bitcoins why not make security software to help protect them?

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
Yuusha

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:49:30 PM

Retards why cant you just keep your own wallet. Is it really so hard?  All i see around here is a bunch of people crying about how someone stole my bitcoins.  well you deserve it. IMO

Watch what you say man, you could jinx yourself there Wink.  For a lot of people keeping there wallet online is much safer and convenient.  The fact is more and more people using bitcoin these days aren't tech people, and you can't expect them to know what measures they need to take to protect their money either on a server or on their own computer.  Instead of people pointing and laughing at the people who lost their bitcoins why not make security software to help protect them?
Really, it's safer to store your wallet on your own computer even without encryption and backups. Would you hand your wallet to a stranger on the street for safekeeping, provided there was no insurance on your money at all? Would it not be safer to keep it in your own pocket, even without security measures such as a chain?
Anduril

Activity: 92

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:49:53 PM

And people wonder why there is no new money coming into Bitcoin...
Are-you-a-wizard?

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:50:44 PM

Just deposit to an encrypted offline wallet and use blockexplorer to view your current balance :\
Bazil

Activity: 126

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:57:59 PM

Really, it's safer to store your wallet on your own computer even without encryption and backups. Would you hand your wallet to a stranger on the street for safekeeping, provided there was no insurance on your money at all? Would it not be safer to keep it in your own pocket, even without security measures such as a chain?

People did this in the USA everyday before the formation of the FDIC.  For the most part it was safer than keeping it in your house.

17Bo9a6YpXN2SbwY8mXLCD43Wup9ZE4rwm
westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:59:14 PM

I have a friend who likes to play the lotto, so I convinced him to spend a little $$$ on bitcoins (seems like the better bet to me, despite the lower payout.) I gave him two copies, burned to CD, of a wallet with his bitcoins in it. I've shredded the copy I had, so he has total control over and responsibility for it. It's pretty safe, and until he gets active accepting and spending them, it should be convenient enough.

Should he start actually wanting to make occasional use of the wallet, I'd point him toward his computer and explain how to use the client.

Not until he got to the point where he was walking around and exchanging BTC on the spot would I suggest an online wallet, and describe the risks involved.

And of course, were he... unwise enough to put his entire stash online, and lose it, I'd probably just shrug and say "I told ya so."

westkybitcoins
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 03:00:42 PM

People did this in the USA everyday before the formation of the FDIC.  For the most part it was safer than keeping it in your house.

I'm not so sure about that. Bank runs were not at all uncommon before the Federal Reserve.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 03:01:38 PM

Okay so lets step through this, pretending I am a normal retail customer type person who walks around some town somewhere ready to spend some bitcoin at some shop or other in town that turns out to accept bitcoin.

Lets assume further that I did not know ahead of time that this particular shop accepts bitcoin so I did not bring any "bitcoins that can only spent there and that they will only accept from me not from some mugger who mugged me on the way to the store".

So I am faced with being unable to buy anything at this newly-bitcoin-accepting shop unless I somehow managed to bring with me some non-earmarked bitcoins (that is, bitcoins that are not secured against being spent at this new shop) OR this newly bitcoin accepting shop has some technology itself that I can trust to use to go grab myself some bitcoins I have stashed in some encrypted stash someplace that can be reached by me with the right magic words and so on via the internet.

Fine. So I look through my printed traveller's coin certificates I printed to see which denominations haven't been printed in a "spend only to these whitelisted recipients" mode, and wonder whether to deposit them in this newfangled online wallet this shop's sales clerk is suggesting I use...

Hmm, why do they want me to buy credit on some online wallet instead of buy a sandwich or whatever tangible good the shop purportedly sells?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Smalleyster

Activity: 84

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 03:37:09 PM

This thread is just a bunch of doom and gloom whining. Y'all are not actually looking for solutions IMHO.

"It's too hard!" "Whaa whaa whaa!"

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Shinobi

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 04:07:20 PM

None!

And that the prime flaw with Bitcoin.

His How do you spend bitcoins away from home?

ssh into my machine and spend the coins

Yep.

Now, if someone can't or doesn't want to do that, what options do they have?

So you want to give your bitcoins to anonymous guys in the cloud?
Then proceed, but don't complain

Believe me, I haven't (and when the time comes, won't) complain. But then I'm not storing the bulk of my stash online either.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 05:07:50 PM

Bugs exist, but showing Bitcoin Wallet to people generates a lot of excitement when they see how extremely easy it is to transfer value via QR codes.

(Screenshots in link. App based on the BitcoinJ java library anyone who has any interest in Bitcoin adoption should put effort into supporting)

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 05:59:49 PM

There is a huge hole in the mobile bitcoin market.

There needs to be a better smartphone app that can hold a wallet. One that does NOT need to download the entire blockchain to work.

One that will instantly creat a QR code of a bitcoin address, and be able to scan a QR of a bitcoin address.

The blockchain download is a major hurdle.

I have not been paying attention to dev lately so this could be a non issue. if so let me know.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: