Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:10:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a bug in 0.3.24-Beta?  (Read 803 times)
The00Dustin (OP)

Activity: 807
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:08:26 PM

I knew the bitcoin client was supposed to generate new addresses whenever coins were sent, and I wasn't sure about when coins were received.  Anyway, upon receiving coins on an address in my address book (that wasn't the one in the "Your Bitcoin Address" section of the client [I always keep the same {first} address there]), a new address was generated and placed in that field on the client.  This wasn't my first receipt, but it was my first receipt against the particular address in question.  Since I noticed the new address, I copied it for later and changed the default address back.  I then noticed it wasn't in my address book anymore.  Out of curiosity, I had .0005 BTC sent there to see if it would show up in my client, and it did.  However, that address STILL isn't showing in my address book.

So I'm not sure about two things.

1) Should a new address be generated by a receipt in any scenario?

2) Should it be possible to have coins received in a wallet to an address that isn't shown in the address book (specifically when the address in question definitely had BTC sent from the outside as opposed to BTC left over from a sending transaction)?

Anyone have any thoughts?  If this does look like a bug, is there somewhere/somehow I should report it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:15:15 PM

1) Should a new address be generated by a receipt in any scenario?
I believe so but not sure

2) Should it be possible to have coins received in a wallet to an address that isn't shown in the address book (specifically when the address in question definitely had BTC sent from the outside as opposed to BTC left over from a sending transaction)
Yes absolutely, there are hidden keys in wallets, 100 by default
If you want to them all, use pywallet (sig)

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
The00Dustin (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 06:48:01 PM

2) Should it be possible to have coins received in a wallet to an address that isn't shown in the address book (specifically when the address in question definitely had BTC sent from the outside as opposed to BTC left over from a sending transaction)
Yes absolutely, there are hidden keys in wallets, 100 by default
If you want to them all, use pywallet (sig)
I knew that there were 100 addresses pre-generated.  What I meant was should they not show up in the address book once there are receipts against them.  I don't know of a way to add them manually if they don't show up automatically.  I do know that the walet .dat file can be moved to a new computer and the address book will be intact.  I also know that I have another address with no description that doesn't disappear when it isn't the default like this one did.
Incidentally, I didn't get a new address in the "Your Bitcoin Address" section of the client after my last receipt (I should have mentioned this already, but I just now realized it, prior to that I was operating on the assumption that I might not have noticed the new address on my many previous receipts).
Binford 6100

Activity: 504

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 08:04:25 PM

it worked like that for me since 0.3.20, not specific to this version.
wild guess: the pre-generated addresses are used when you do an outgoing transaction and none of your keys/addresses is funded with the exact amount of bitcoins you want to spend. client chooses the address with nearest bigger available balance and writes a transaction with part 1 - your paypent and part 2 - the remaining balance is send to one of those pool addresses (i think to the oldest / first available). this can be pretty scary in the command line tool when you expect your address to have some bitoins there, you spend part of it and next time you look, there are no bitcoins left on that address and you see they moved to a new address, which is not in your address book.

when receiving bitcoins there's no need to get an extra address. the address you specified got funds, client app updates the total number of available bitcoins for your wallet. it's the sender who had split an address balance between your address and his address to keep the change.

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
The00Dustin (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2011, 04:23:26 PM

OK, I did some new sends and receives today.  I forgot to pay attention, but when I finally looked, there was a new address, so presumably it is normal.  Interesting that we have now control over what addresses are and aren't shown in the address book (best I can tell, no delete button on the receiving side), but certainly not a bug.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: