Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:54:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mpex.co] The Scientology of Bitcoin Finance?  (Read 27391 times)
jimmothy (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:29:27 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2014, 09:17:16 PM by jimmothy

So after roughly a year of bitcoining I have come to the conclusion that mpex.co or Mircea Popescu Exchange (Formerly Mircea popescu options emporium?) does literally nothing but move bitcoins from one wallet to the next and in most cases ending up in Mircea Popescu's wallet.

30 Bitcoin Registration Fee and you get the choice of an failed video game company, bitbet.us (not sure why they need funding with all the fees), and MPOE itself whose profits consist mostly of those 30 bitcoin registration fees.

Normally "investing" is when you give capital to someone who needs it to create something of value. I don't see any value coming out of mpex.co whatsoever. Their biggest success story is a gambling website (again not really creating value, just taking btc from one person and giving it the next.)

One last thing that does not really prove that mpex.co is a scam but I cant be the only one to notice that Mircea Popescu speaks like a sci-fi super-villain.

I would love for someone to explain to me how mpex.co is not a scam bit I simply cannot understand.

In the end it looks like Mircea Popescu is walking away with 30,000 btc (according to some richest bitcoiners thread)

Has anyone else besides him made a profit from the site?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:59:57 AM

With Bitcoin breaking the $1,000 barrier, it is extremely risky to invest in these crypto-stocks anymore. I have learnt my lesson after I lost half of all my bitcoins in BTC-TRADING-PT.  You never know when these exchanges will shut down. Better not to invest in them.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:03:11 AM

More like 700k.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:07:30 AM

ok you have 700k btc or roughly 700 milllion usd invested in your company.

What the fuck do you even do?? Seriously how can you justify nearly a billion usd company evaluation when you literally have no value.

To clarify look at asicminer. They make asic hardware and mine bitcoins. What do you do?
thecoinjournal

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 11:10:27 AM

And it made it even without any basic css work, amazing.

thecoinjournal

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 11:12:16 AM

What the fuck do you even do?? Seriously how can you justify nearly a billion usd company evaluation when you literally have no value.

To clarify look at asicminer. They make asic hardware and mine bitcoins. What do you do?

What I learned from investing in the bitcoin world is that you don't need to do anything but sit tight on your coins.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:13:08 AM

MP is and has been the only major thing happening in BTC. See here, for instance.

MP says what's what and who's who. That's what he does.

What I learned from investing in the bitcoin world is that you don't need to do anything but sit tight on your coins.

This is correct, look at the S.MG reports for instance.

And for that matter: MPEx paid ~85k BTC dividends over ~850k mkt cap in fiscal year 2012 (May to May).

Meanwhile Asicminer, since you happened to use that example, paid about 50% more, for a significantly lower valuation. This is what you get for having poor management instead of MP.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:15:08 AM

MP is and has been the only major thing happening in BTC. See here, for instance.

MP says what's what and who's who. That's what he does.

Ok so it is your blog that is worth nearly 1 billion USD? I noticed you charge an incredible 0.01 btc for unlimited reading access is this your only source of revenue?
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:17:22 AM

This is correct, look at the S.MG reports for instance.

And for that matter: MPEx paid ~85k BTC dividends over ~850k mkt cap in fiscal year 2012 (May to May).

I would love to know what the "ministry of games" does if you could provide a link that is from any source other than your own.

As for the ~85k BTC dividends, Impressive but where did that come from?
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:18:26 AM

And it made it even without any basic css work, amazing.

This is the best part. With a 1 billion USD website you would think that they could hire a css web designer for a week or even a day costing ~1btc at the most.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:20:09 AM

Ok so it is your blog that is worth nearly 1 billion USD? I noticed you charge an incredible 0.01 btc for unlimited reading access is this your only source of revenue?

Listen, you can go say the same thing on the yahoo finance boards associated with JPM, "oh, so is the JPM blog the source of revenue??!!?!?!?"

There's no requirement for you to understand what's going on, or agree with it, or sign off on it. This is why you're irrelevant, that's the definition of the term.

Reality just is what it is, whether palatable or not, acceptable or not. You may submit to it, go do your reading, learn what's what and change to match, or else enjoy insanity, play on forums and reddit all day and so on.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:22:00 AM

Listen, you can go say the same thing on the yahoo finance boards associated with JPM, "oh, so is the JPM blog the source of revenue??!!?!?!?"

There's no requirement for you to understand what's going on, or agree with it, or sign off on it. This is why you're irrelevant, that's the definition of the term.

Reality just is what it is, whether palatable or not, acceptable or not. You may submit to it, go do your reading, learn what's what and change to match, or else enjoy insanity, play on forums and reddit all day and so on.

JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an American multinational banking and financial services holding company, and the largest bank in the United States by assets

If you think JPmorgan consists of only a blog, you might be the one out of touch with reality. JP Morgan owns more shit than any bitcoiner can dream of and it is because of over a hundred years of dominating market after market.

So what exactly do you do? Are you a bank?

You keep telling me I don't understand what you do and you are right. I don't think anybody understands what you do and we want to know.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:28:17 AM

JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an American multinational banking and financial services holding company, and the largest bank in the United States by assets

If you think JPmorgan consists of only a blog, you might be the one out of touch with reality. JP Morgan owns more shit than any bitcoiner can dream of and it is because of over a hundred years of dominating market after market.

You keep telling me I don't understand what you do and you are right. I don't think anybody understands what you do and we want to know.

MPEx is the largest Bitcoin financials entity, by a very large margin. JPM is 1-2% of the fiat market, MPEx is somewhere way up over two thirds of the Bitcoin space.

Which is why MPEx is valued at about 5% of all Bitcoin and JPM at about 0.0x% of all fiat.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:48:44 AM

MPEx is the largest Bitcoin financials entity, by a very large margin. JPM is 1-2% of the fiat market, MPEx is somewhere way up over two thirds of the Bitcoin space.

Which is why MPEx is valued at about 5% of all Bitcoin and JPM at about 0.0x% of all fiat.

Do you hold 5% of all bitcoins? JPM has a massive amount of money and a massive amount of revenue streams. How much bitcoins does MPEx hold and what sources of revenue are adding to that?
MPOE-PR

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 02:08:45 PM

Do you hold 5% of all bitcoins? JPM has a massive amount of money and a massive amount of revenue streams. How much bitcoins does MPEx hold and what sources of revenue are adding to that?

Figure it out, sparky.

velacreations

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:55:07 PM

MPEx is the largest Bitcoin financials entity, by a very large margin.
Bullshit.

Kosmatos

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:06:20 PM

Have you seen the MPEX web site? Case closed. User ignored.
superduh

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 05:28:25 PM

go to mpex, pay mpex 30 bitcoins, profit?

ok
Bitcycle

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 05:51:00 PM

LOL.  You're a comic genius.
thestringpuller

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 05:57:04 PM

I would love for someone to explain to me how mpex.co is not a scam bit I simply cannot understand.

Isn't MPEX the only place you can reliable underwrite and buy options against the USD value of BTC?

I would say this is value enough, given April 2013 would likely have been a lot worse had MPEx not existed.

The shareholder report for March: http://trilema.com/2013/mpoe-march-2013-statement/ kinda shows that.

Additionally, those who bought MPEx accounts in 2012, and as well bought S.MPOE before the 2nd batch of the IPO are likely all millionaires (in USD terms) at this point.

So to be honest, I really don't see how it is a scam. Perhaps the other businesses in their infancy seem a tad questionable, but MPOE-bot I think has proven itself as a valuable asset to the Bitcoin world as a whole.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: