Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 03:27:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mpex.co] The Scientology of Bitcoin Finance?  (Read 27391 times)
jimmothy (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:53:08 PM

Oh good.  This thread again.

There is a reason there are no real stocks listed on mpex and never will be. There is a reason no other real world exchange or business operates like mpex.

Real compared to what?  Are you criticizing MPEx for not listing every scam that comes across it's doorstep like Havelock and Cryptostocks?

Keep pretending the reason mpex has so few stocks is because there are too many scams. Maybe the reason they don't have any real stocks after a few years of operating is because they are full of shit and don't offer a useful stock trading service.

Havelock does not list every stock that comes to its doorstep. It does have requirements and decent procedures to prevent scams. Cryptostocks does list just about every project/scam that shows up at its doorstep but at least there are projects showing up.

Major difference between mpex and other exchanges is that we actually use havelock and Cryptostocks to trade securities while mpex is used to gamble and or make mr pope rich.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:56:12 PM

Funny how people outside of bitcoin assets who live in the real world tend to agree that mpex is a scam/bullshit
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:00:48 PM

Havelock currently lists 17 stocks, giving 14 unique offerings. Around 6-7 of these are for mining companies, 2 are for banking operations and 1 is for an investment fund into a package of bitcoin startups.

Well, GLBSE had ~100 stocks scams, ~BTCTC 50, lets say the same for Bitfunder (numbers approximate, made up).
How well did that work out?

16:09:08 VanCleef: will you be listing other companies on mpex from other people in the future?
16:10:09 Apocalyptic: just wondering, does one need to have an mpex account to issue shares/bonds on mpex ?
16:10:59 mircea_popescu: of course, once people actually worth listing spring up
16:11:02 jurov: lol Apocalyptic how else would you pay dividends?
16:11:06 mircea_popescu: people were asking the same q before nsa say.
16:11:44 VanCleef: okey cool at least you are open to it
16:11:58 VanCleef: i guess nothing from other people has impressed you yet
16:12:16 mircea_popescu: its really not my fault that people with a clue are few and far between whereas "enthusiastic" muppets make up the mass of btc followers.

taken from http://log.bitcoin-assets.com/?date=12-01-2014#443425

I completely forgot that everyone in bitcoin assets is a pro financier and should be taken seriously. I also forgot that mr popescu is the all mighty security god and he is the ultimate decider of good and bad stocks.

For a second I thought I was here to trade stocks, but now I know I need to first get mr popescus permission and approval before doing so. How is humble little me supposed to know what is a scam without a magic crystal ball and incredible intelligence like mr p?

/s

2 years from now mpex will either have imploded or will have not listed even a single additional real stock. It's not because there are no good stocks available, just none that want to use such a bullshit service as mpex.
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:04:30 PM

Funny how people outside of bitcoin assets who live in the real world tend to agree that mpex is a scam/bullshit
reddit karma does not cost anything - interesting, don't you think?

Really just means that a decent amount of people agree with the statement that mpex is bullshit. I am not saying reddit is full of geniuses but it doesnt take one to understand this scheme.
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:12:16 PM

I completely forgot that everyone in bitcoin assets is a pro financier and should be taken seriously.

No worries, its natural, people forget sometimes.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:22:35 PM

And since you've read this thread, you at least have found that:
statement 1 is incorrect: 30 BTC and goes to MPOE
statement 2 is incomplete: it has futures and options, options which are actually most of MPOE's revenue
statement 3 is correct
statement 4 is... what does it mean?

So indeed, you can gain reddit karma by saying things that are blatantly misinformed. Go get some more karma, then.

I see only 1 incorrect number being the registration fee. Statement 4 means that when you look through the bullshit and games, mpex does not create real world value. For example asicminer creates hardware people want to buy and sells them for a profit.

Some could argue Mpex creates value by offering a way to gamble with options/futures or invest on the house (85% which will always be mr ps portion)

If there was no 30btc reg fee, mr popescus didnt own such a ridiculous majority of shares, and the pr bullshit stops then maybe I would consider it an actual service and not a complete scam. Maybe then some real projects might consider using their service to trade their stocks on. But this wont happen because mpex is not designed to function as a useful exchange but a tool to scam noobs.
Duffer1

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:22:48 PM

Havelock currently lists 17 stocks, giving 14 unique offerings. Around 6-7 of these are for mining companies, 2 are for banking operations and 1 is for an investment fund into a package of bitcoin startups.

Almost every one of these offerings is doing more for the world of bitcoin than the 4 stocks on MPEx. And none of them funnel money directly into the pocket of the owner of the exchange.

They make their money by collaborating with unscrupulous "CEOs" that IPO outrageously overpriced/inept/incomplete/non-existent/non-tangible ideas that somehow get labeled "assets" (as opposed to liabilities).

Homework assignment:  List every Havelock 'asset' that is currently trading above IPO price.  The market is trying to tell you something.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:27:55 PM

Almost every one of these offerings is doing more for the world of bitcoin than the 4 stocks on MPEx. And none of them funnel money directly into the pocket of the owner of the exchange.

They make their money by collaborating with unscrupulous "CEOs" that IPO outrageously overpriced/inept/incomplete/non-existent/non-tangible ideas that somehow get labeled "assets" (as opposed to liabilities).

Homework assignment:  List every Havelock 'asset' that is currently trading above IPO price.  The market is trying to tell you something.

Asicminer, HIF, neobee, SFI are all trading at or above ipo. It is nice to have the option to look through multiple real world projects and decide on your own whether to invest or not. And I don't even need to pay 30btc!

You do know that havelock has pretty strict requirements for listing a stock right? Also is there anything tangible regarding mpex?
Duffer1

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:39:23 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2014, 10:18:06 PM by Duffer1

Keep pretending the reason mpex has so few stocks is because there are too many scams.

I include terrible IPO cash grabs in my definition of: "scam."  Actually, imo, Havelock has less "useful" projects than MPEx: Neo & Bee on Havelock; S.BBET & S.NSA on MPEx (profitability to be determined).

Havelock does not list every stock that comes to its doorstep. It does have requirements and decent procedures to prevent scams.

*cough*VTXlabcoinMintsparePetaDealCoCBTC*cough* *coughmoar*kenilworthtobelistedonhavelocksoonLOL*hack*
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 10:43:00 PM

[PRE IPO] Looking for IPO - Attention MPOE MPEX MPOE-PR
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=426406.0

kakobrekla

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:46:36 PM

Why would you want to list at some exchange which is ran by hard psychopathic racist guy who also hang out with Pirate and MNW?

Boggles my mind!

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 10:47:38 PM

Why would you want to list at some exchange which is ran by hard psychopathic racist guy who also hang out with Pirate and MNW?

Boggles my mind!

Money is money and at least my business will bring in real revenue

kakobrekla

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:49:20 PM

Boggles my mind!

Money is money and at least my business will bring in real revenue

Meh, not even funny.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:51:08 PM

Keep pretending the reason mpex has so few stocks is because there are too many scams.

I include terrible IPO cash grabs in my definition of: "scam."  Actually, imo, Havelock has less "useful" projects than MPEx: Neo & Bee on Havelock; S.BBET & S.NSA on MPEx (profitability to be determined).

Havelock does not list every stock that comes to its doorstep. It does have requirements and decent procedures to prevent scams.

*cough*VTXlabcoinMintsparePetaDealCoCBTC*cough* *coughmoar*kenilworthtobelistedonhavelocksoonLOL*hack*

Major difference between mpex and other exchanges is that we actually use havelock and Cryptostocks to trade securities while mpex is used to gamble and or make mr pope rich.

The difference is suckers use other exchanges to shrink their portfolios be large amounts.  True this is the trend with nearly all BTC "investing,"  at least MP has built a platform to enable financing of projects (should they appear) that are more than cash grabs and MBA bullshit.

You're not wrong about futures gambling, but can a currency even be 'real' without the ability to short it?  

Havelock having "terrible ipo cash grabs" is your opinion and you are entitled to that but I happen to disagree. Although I have stated before I believe HIF is overpriced doesn't mean its a scam. There is a chance that many stocks on havelock succeed as well as fail but its not havelocks job to decide which is good and bad. They offer a nice platform for trading stocks and people use it because it works as advertised.

Mpex has built a solid system security wise no doubt. But it is far from practical or useful. Why would a stock want to list on mpex for 30btc vs another exchange for much less?

Also how does mp prevent scams? Is it because mp chooses not to list what he does not feel is a good investment or is it because no projects want to use his exchange?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 10:55:44 PM

kakobrekla

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:57:01 PM

So now you are a spammer?

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:05:00 PM

Asicminer
True. That business didn't start with Havelock, nor is exclusive to it, though.
It is however exclusive non-mpex exchanges
HIF
False. IPO did not finish but they don't seem to want to sell more. You don't get a higher part of the profits though.
neobee
False, and the IPO isn't finished, they have millions of direct shares for share.

SFI
False. Stopped following at that time, so I don't know if they finished the IPO.

And I don't even need to pay 30btc!
Stop with the bullshit already; it's been explained in this very thread how you can use a broker and never pay the 30 BTC.

You do know that havelock has pretty strict requirements for listing a stock right?
They are listing MintSpare which is incredibly unfair to investors. And, well, 7C.
They did a fucking Labcoin passthrough themselves.
Still, funds before the Panama thing might be in a better position.

It's not that you're dumb and misinformed; you're now a compulsive liar.

None of those that have "unfinished ipo" specifically stated all tranches must be sold. Fact is people are buying shares at ipo price and believe these companies will succeed.

And as I said before using a broker is like using another service. You are not avoiding the mandatory 30btc reg fee by paying some guy who has already paid that fee a slightly lower fee so he can buy shares for you.

You can continue to hurl insults and state how misinformed I am in every post but its not going to do anything besides waste time.
NanoAkron

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:07:36 PM

And since you've read this thread, you at least have found that:
statement 1 is incorrect: 30 BTC and goes to MPOE
statement 2 is incomplete: it has futures and options, options which are actually most of MPOE's revenue
statement 3 is correct
statement 4 is... what does it mean?

So indeed, you can gain reddit karma by saying things that are blatantly misinformed. Go get some more karma, then.

Well, this is my statement so let me clarify:

Statement 1: Holy Shit! You need to pay this scammer US$24,000 before you're even allowed to buy any of his scammy stocks
Statement 2: Fine, I stand corrected. Although I still reserve my judgment on this.
Statement 3: You've just paid this scammer $24,000 so please feel privileged that you're now allowed to pay him some more.
Statement 4: Now I can see why this statement confuses you, as you are clearly far divorced from the real world if you think MPEx offers anything of value to anyone other than Mircea Popescu.

Doing something in the real world means just that. Apple makes computers, Facebook runs a social network based advertising service. NeoBee is launching a bank, MintSpare wants to refurbish old electronics and resell them (I think they're way overvalued, but they are aiming to do something in the real world).

MPOE pays Mircea Popescu.
BitBet is mildly interesting and does operate in the real world. It pays Mircea Popescu.
Ministry of Games does nothing but pay Mircea Popescu.
No Such lAbs talks about cryptography and does nothing. But it pays Mircea Popescu.
Keyser Soze

Activity: 470

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:52:15 PM

While there is an obvious disagreement with their business model, is it really a scam? I'll go back to a prior statement of mine about Bitbet...

With any MP backed venture, you can expect to get exactly what they say you will get, no more, no less. While the outcome is arguably unfair, it is exactly what you would expect them do.

The rules seem to be clear, if you don't like them, don't play.
NanoAkron

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 12:20:43 AM

While there is an obvious disagreement with their business model, is it really a scam? I'll go back to a prior statement of mine about Bitbet...

With any MP backed venture, you can expect to get exactly what they say you will get, no more, no less. While the outcome is arguably unfair, it is exactly what you would expect them do.

The rules seem to be clear, if you don't like them, don't play.

I suppose you're right. It's not a scam as such, because it's all out in the open and delivers exactly what it promises.

Caveat Investor
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: