Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:34:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mpex.co] The Scientology of Bitcoin Finance?  (Read 27394 times)
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 18, 2014, 11:56:55 PM

OK, I am not sure where to ask this question, this seems like as good a place as any?

Is there an easy way to access the bid/ask prices of the MPEx assets? What I want is a way to dump the values into a python script?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2014, 01:14:37 AM

OK, I am not sure where to ask this question, this seems like as good a place as any?

Is there an easy way to access the bid/ask prices of the MPEx assets? What I want is a way to dump the values into a python script?

http://mpex.co/mpex-mktdepth.php

Peter Lambert

View Profile
February 19, 2014, 02:01:22 PM

http://mpex.co/mpex-mktdepth.php

Awesome, thanks.

Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 05:47:25 PM

Am I calculating it right that S.MPOE has a P/E of about 8.5 for the past month? (.00083/(12*.000081) That seems pretty reasonable.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 06:02:56 PM

Am I calculating it right that S.MPOE has a P/E of about 8.5 for the past month? (.00083/(12*.000081) That seems pretty reasonable.

Last month was a little special I'd say Cheesy

dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2014, 06:32:21 PM

Last month was a little special I'd say Cheesy

Very nice to read the follow up to the story. Wink

In case someone is interested:

http://trilema.com/2014/mpoe-february-2014-statement/

DrGregMulhauser

Activity: 330
Merit: 255

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 04:49:05 PM

Very nice to read the follow up to the story. Wink

In case someone is interested:

http://trilema.com/2014/mpoe-february-2014-statement/

Too funny. Despite the incoherence of his blog post, at least MP has finally stepped up and conceded the incompetence of his former approach to options market making. For finally admitting that and quitting the business of options market making without being adequately prepared, he deserves a positive acknowledgement.

It's ironic that it was just a few months ago I warned about the risks of MP's approach to market making and even spelled it out for MP's PR lackey, but since she seems to have trouble with words of more than two syllables, all we got in return at the time was an unflattering spectacle of her flailing about in her own misunderstandings. Fortunately, MP's actions in quitting the business speak louder even than the PR lackey.

Now back to something more interesting.

Tips: 1GTvfygTCnA5LdE2dX31AtcHho6s6X9H9b
BTC Growth
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:02:12 PM

Too funny. Despite the incoherence of his blog post, at least MP has finally stepped up and conceded the incompetence of his former approach to options market making. For finally admitting that and quitting the business of options market making without being adequately prepared, he deserves a positive acknowledgement.

It's ironic that it was just a few months ago I warned about the risks of MP's approach to market making and even spelled it out for MP's PR lackey, but since she seems to have trouble with words of more than two syllables, all we got in return at the time was an unflattering spectacle of her flailing about in her own misunderstandings. Fortunately, MP's actions in quitting the business speak louder even than the PR lackey.

Now back to something more interesting.

What are you, stupid or something?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jimmothy (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 07:57:11 PM

So did mpex just remove the sole source of revenue other than registration fees?

For a second I thought this scam might last a few more months.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:12:08 PM

So did mpex just remove the sole source of revenue other than registration fees?

There is still the trading fee.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 08:42:19 PM

Ah, so this million btc valued company will now be earning a staggering few hundred satoshis a year(assuming there is still anyone using it).

So with options removed is mpex now a full blown ponzi?

I guess it is still debatable while the futures market exists even though nobody uses it. I doubt it will be removed only because then mpex would literally fit the textbook definition of a ponzi scheme instead of hiding behind a disguise.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 10:08:05 PM

Ah, so this million btc valued company will now be earning a staggering few hundred satoshis a year(assuming there is still anyone using it).

So with options removed is mpex now a full blown ponzi?

I guess it is still debatable while the futures market exists even though nobody uses it. I doubt it will be removed only because then mpex would literally fit the textbook definition of a ponzi scheme instead of hiding behind a disguise.

Yes, if you go by just the amount of trading done right now, and a PE of 10 you would get a price of 0.0000086 (compare to the current price of about 0.00086, that is a difference of two orders of magnitude). But the system which MPEx has set up is secure and useful, so it is reasonable to expect the amount of trade to go up in the future.

Edit: My calculation: 36010 (monthly volume) * 12 (months) * 0.002 (trading fee) * 10 (PE estimate) / 1 billion shares

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:41:14 PM

Yes, if you go by just the amount of trading done right now, and a PE of 10 you would get a price of 0.0000086 (compare to the current price of about 0.00086, that is a difference of two orders of magnitude). But the system which MPEx has set up is secure and useful, so it is reasonable to expect the amount of trade to go up in the future.

Edit: My calculation: 36010 (monthly volume) * 12 (months) * 0.002 (trading fee) * 10 (PE estimate) / 1 billion shares

Alternatively, and perhaps much more rationally, 0.00086 (share price) / 36010 (monthly volume) / 12 (months) / 0.002 (trading fee) *  1 billion shares would yield a PE of 995, which seems to be what a well run, trusted Bitcoin business trades for.

One can't ignore the market indefinitely. For the past two years MPEx has been practically without exception the largest venture in Bitcoin. Others have come and gone, be it Satoshi Dice, Asicminer or what have you. At times of crisis the entire rest of the Bitcoin economy collapsed into nothingness, leaving MPEx to stand in excess of the sum of everything else. At times of (irrational) exuberance drastically inflated market caps on the basis of narrow available "investment" Bitcoin made competition seem possible, in aggregate, but still left MPEx the largest one Bitcoin business (with week or month-long interruptions here and there, sure).

The fact remains that Bitcoin isn't here to adapt to the needs, desires, or expectations of the fiat world. Bitcoin is here to force --with its consent, no matter how enthusiastic, or against its will, no matter how empathic-- the conformation of the fiat world. Consequently...1k PE is just what PEs are in Bitcoin, if the company doesn't suck. If it does suck...well...a fraction thereof.

This isn't nearly as unreasonable as it seems once you realize that Bitcoin, unlike fiats, is noninflationary. In 1965 a gallon of gas cost $0.31, today almost fifty years later it costs ten times as much. That's roughly 20% each year (0.2 * 50 = 10) and if you compound it yearly this comes to a whooping 9100x. Meanwhile in the same interval Berkshire Hathaway went from $14.86 per share to $182,175, which is roughly 12,259x. Not that much better (and for that matter if you compound quarterly rather than yearly, the gasoline figure is 17,292 rather than 9100). In this perspective, Berkshire has barely kept up with inflation (a little above if you compound yearly, a little below if you compound quarterly). What is the real (ie, Bitcoin-equivalent) PE of Berkshire? About 1000x, at least as degree of magnitude. Once you wash away all accounting inflation caused by fiat monetary inflation even the best of fiat companies appears quite MPEx-ish. And this as to the exceptional, the outstanding, the one-of-a-kind. God help you should you consider the merely competent, such as for instance Buffett's competitors Burlington Industries (actually, he spells it out himself).

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 11:56:45 PM

This isn't nearly as unreasonable as it seems

I love it how you know nobody buys your shit.

You really are an artist when it comes to the art of bullshitting. Isn't there a word for people like that? Oh yea it's called a con artist.

My bet is this ponzi collapses within the next 6 months. Depending on whether or not there is another influx of bitcoin noobs to recruit to the cult of mpex.
Atruk

Activity: 700

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:02:03 AM

This isn't nearly as unreasonable as it seems

You really are an artist when it comes to the art of bullshitting. Isn't there a word for people like that? Oh yea it's called a con artist.

My bet is this ponzi collapses within the next 6 months. Depending on whether or not there is another influx of bitcoin noobs to recruit to the cult of mpex.

I might be amenable to taking the other side of this bet.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:52:53 AM

So go make your bet then.

User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 09:17:49 AM

... Others have come and gone, be it Satoshi Dice, Asicminer or what have you. ...
Where exactly has Satoshi Dice and Asicminer gone?

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 10:06:57 AM

Satoshi Dice has delisted and thus has a market cap of 0. Asicminer is trading at about 2-300k BTC, which is nowhere near in range. Thus, gone, in the context we were discussing, which was MPEx' oppressively colossal 8-900k BTC weight.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:42:54 PM

Satoshi Dice has delisted and thus has a market cap of 0. Asicminer is trading at about 2-300k BTC, which is nowhere near in range. Thus, gone, in the context we were discussing, which was MPEx' oppressively colossal 8-900k BTC weight.

And for a less skewed comparison:

Value of publicly owned shares:

Mpex: 130k btc
Asicminer: 130k btc

Dividends paid last year:

Mpex: 14k btc
Asicminer: 200k btc

Amount of dividends derived directly from losses of own investors:

Mpex: 13k btc
Asicminer: 0 btc

Dividends derived from service/sales:

Mpex: 1k btc
Asicminer: 200k btc

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:08:15 PM

blablabla

What happened to your bet?

No BTC just hot air out the mouth or what is it?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: