Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:12:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Indicator: Number of sites accepting bitcoin  (Read 16332 times)
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 08, 2012, 06:13:09 AM

Does anyone have a reasonable estimation for how many sites accept Bitcoin but which are not on the list?  I've known about goshrine.com for a while but recently have been running into other examples such as f-droid.org, brainworkshop.sourceforge.net, and thepythongamebook.com.

Is there a separate list for sites using Bitcoin for donations?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 09:02:40 PM

Still got this on the radar, but realistically ot got time to do much development at the moment. Any PHP devs willing to lend a hand? Feels like there's some potential for at least tracking wiki usage...

I've put the code on github here if so:

https://github.com/exmosis/btc-wiki-trader-count

Will do some if I have time/mojo, but things pretty busy these days...

- scribe

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2013, 01:21:39 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2013, 02:42:51 AM by bitcoinbitcoin113

what was the problem with it? Here is one in R that should work as long as the wiki doesn't change too much, I dont know how to host it though.:

Code:

require(RCurl)
require(XML)
require(ggplot2)

remove.list<-c(
  "Getting started","Currency exchanges", "Financial",
  "Bitcoin eWallets","Bitcoin payment systems"
)

old.results<-read.table("old_results.txt", header=T)

new.data<-getURLContent("https://en.bitcoin.it/w/index.php?title=Trade&action=edit",
                        ssl.verifypeer = FALSE, useragent = "R"
)

new.data<-readLines(tc <- textConnection(new.data)); close(tc)

categories<-as.data.frame(cbind(
  grep(pattern="^==[A-Z]",new.data),
  new.data[grep(pattern="^==[A-Z]",new.data)]
))

categories[,1]<-as.numeric(as.character(categories[,1]))

entries=NULL
for(i in 1:(nrow(categories)-1)){
  selected.cat<-new.data[categories[i,1]:categories[i+1,1]]
  rem.headers.step1<-selected.cat[grep(pattern="/(*)",selected.cat)]

if(length(grep(pattern="^==",rem.headers.step1))==0){
    rem.headers.step2<-rem.headers.step1
  }else{
    rem.headers.step2<-rem.headers.step1[-grep(pattern="^==",rem.headers.step1)]
  }

out<-cbind(selected.cat[1],length(rem.headers.step2))
  entries<-rbind(entries,out)
}

entries<-as.data.frame(entries)
entries[,2]<-as.numeric(as.character(entries[,2]))
entries[,1]<-gsub("==","",entries[,1])
entries<-entries[which(entries[,2]>0),]
entries<-cbind(rep(format(Sys.time(), "%b %y"),nrow(entries)),entries)

new.results<-entries[-which(entries[,2] %in% remove.list),]
colnames(new.results)<-c("Date","Category","Number")

try(
  new.results<-rbind(old.results,new.results)
)
rownames(new.results)<-1:nrow(new.results)

qplot(Date,Number, data=new.results, geom="bar", fill= Category)+
  opts(title=c("Number of BTC Accepting Merchants \n (en.bitcoin.it/wiki/trade)"))

png("newchart.png")
qplot(Date,Number, data=new.results, geom="bar", fill= Category)+
  opts(title=c("Number of BTC Accepting Merchants \n (en.bitcoin.it/wiki/trade)"))
dev.off()

write.table(new.results, "old_results.txt")

Produces (with made up February data to show it could update automatically):

Code:

"Date" "Category" "Number"
"1" "Jan 13" "Internet &amp; Mobile services" 203
"2" "Jan 13" "Online products" 126
"3" "Jan 13" "Material / Physical Products" 219
"4" "Jan 13" "Professional services" 86
"5" "Jan 13" "Commerce and community" 49
"6" "Jan 13" "Travel / Tourism / Leisure " 31
"7" "Feb 13" "Internet &amp; Mobile services" 105
"8" "Feb 13" "Online products" 86
"9" "Feb 13" "Material / Physical Products" 98
"10" "Feb 13" "Professional services" 99
"11" "Feb 13" "Commerce and community" 92
"12" "Feb 13" "Travel / Tourism / Leisure " 84

And this:

scribe

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2013, 08:34:04 PM

what was the problem with it? Here is one in R that should work as long as the wiki doesn't change too much, I dont know how to host it though.:

R? nice Smiley

Check back through the thread for other requests, but the things I had in mind was stuff like:

- ignore/merge/map sections on the wiki page for when they got reorganised
- fix the HighCharts output which I think has too much stuff in (doesn't show for me anyway) - see http://www.exmosis.net/btctt/highchart.php
- count across different language versions, eg. take the German page into account as well, to get a more global view on activity

Hosting on github is pretty easy - sign up, download the GUI, start a new repo, copy files in. Something like that Smiley Happy to help via PM, or might just put a copy up in my repo for reference.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:44:30 PM

How informative is this data?  I mean, Bitpay says it has over 2000 merchants right? 
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:31:59 PM

How informative is this data?  I mean, Bitpay says it has over 2000 merchants right? 

And thats all they say about it. They dont want to get anymore specific then that. So we dont know WHO those merchants are, if they are the same outlets only with multiple accounts and IF they even exist. Its a claim after all, that has not been backed up with facts.
I think it is also important to not only rely on one single source, but all available and veryfiable information there is.

@ bitcoinbitcoin123 & scribe: Thanks for the effort! Looks great! Maybe you guys can work out something with the functionality of scribe's earlier builds and the appeal of high charts or similar? I trust in you! ❤
bb113

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:36:00 AM

Ok, I modified it to get all the historical data:

The following categories were renamed (effectively merging them). The new name is on the right:
"Bitcoin paymennt systems"<-"Bitcoin payment systems"
"Currency exchange"<-"Currency exchanges"
"Hotels."<-"Hotels"
"Material products"<-"Material / Physical Products"
"Travel / Tourism "<-"Travel / Tourism / Leisure "
"Hotels"<-"Travel / Tourism / Leisure "
"Internet services"<-"Internet &amp; Mobile services"
"Professional Services"<-"Professional services"
"Sex related services"<-"Adult"
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:39:18 AM

the drops are wiki updates?
bb113

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

the drops are wiki updates?

Every data point corresponds to a wiki update. Drops are probably people culling the lists/ vandalism
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:03:05 AM

The following categories were renamed (effectively merging them). The new name is on the right:
"Hotels."<-"Hotels"

Ok thanks. Now we only have to make it a little prettier  Grin

Why did you rename the categories??
bb113

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 02:12:52 AM

"Hotels."<-"Hotels"

Ok thanks. Now we only have to make it a little prettier  Grin

Why did you rename the categories??

Because the categories and names used in the wiki changed over time. After I renamed them its pretty consistent. Perhaps there were more mergers that I missed.
bb113

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 11:02:17 PM

- ignore/merge/map sections on the wiki page for when they got reorganised
- fix the HighCharts output which I think has too much stuff in (doesn't show for me anyway) - see http://www.exmosis.net/btctt/highchart.php
- count across different language versions, eg. take the German page into account as well, to get a more global view on activity

Someone needs to check the categories in my chart and see which (if any) should be merged with the current set of categories on the page. Also someone needs to go to the forum language versions and tell which english they correspond to:

eg:
Currency exchanges<-Exchange-Plattformen / elektronische Börsen

I think this chart could have promise for setting a lower bound on number of merchants once that is done.
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 11:26:21 PM

If someone knows how to fix the map of Real World Shops to use https google maps that would be great.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
scribe

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 07:33:00 PM

Nice job, bitcoinbitcoin113 - and is it possible to automate to generate an auto-updating image file? This was Spekulatius' other request to make the job a little easier.

On a side note, I did like Spek's summary of 'interesting new entries' too, would love to see more of that...

bb113

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 08:22:40 PM

Nice job, bitcoinbitcoin113 - and is it possible to automate to generate an auto-updating image file? This was Spekulatius' other request to make the job a little easier.

On a side note, I did like Spek's summary of 'interesting new entries' too, would love to see more of that...

The script will automatically create an updated chart every time it is run. I don't know how to do this then have it update the image on a webpage though.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 04:12:20 PM

Thx scribe Wink Will do once a month. If you like you can post in this thread as well if you like and I will paste your reviews on the front page.

----------

Concerning the new graph: I think it provides a better understanding when the categories on it and on the list share the same names. Otherwise it is unclear what entries in the list are combined in what category in the graph.

bb113

View Profile
January 24, 2013, 06:27:12 PM

Thx scribe Wink Will do once a month. If you like you can post in this thread as well if you like and I will paste your reviews on the front page.

----------

Concerning the new graph: I think it provides a better understanding when the categories on it and on the list share the same names. Otherwise it is unclear what entries in the list are combined in what category in the graph.

What list?
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 03:20:00 AM

----------

What list?

The one on https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade
bb113

View Profile
January 27, 2013, 10:53:26 AM

----------

What list?

So how do you propose we deal with people who edit the wiki merging categories in the past to get what we have now? I think there may be a miscommunication somewhere.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2013, 06:15:25 PM

----------

What list?

So how do you propose we deal with people who edit the wiki merging categories in the past to get what we have now? I think there may be a miscommunication somewhere.

Not quite sure I understand you, but if you are concerned about getting the correct historic values for the categories, pls see my own list from the front page: http://dfiles.eu/files/utggvq80h
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: