Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:02:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain AntMiner S1 Setup [HD]  (Read 112136 times)
wolf_miner
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:46:10 AM

HI, what kind of antenna I need to buy for the S1, I looked in several stores but have not found the right one. Any suggestions?
If I wanted to add a second fan an ARCTIC COOLING F12 PWM would be fine?

Thanks in advance
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 01:32:23 PM

HI, what kind of antenna I need to buy for the S1, I looked in several stores but have not found the right one. Any suggestions?
If I wanted to add a second fan an ARCTIC COOLING F12 PWM would be fine?

Thanks in advance

Standard aerial, there's a link in the OP. That fan is fine.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 03:59:50 AM

Would appreciate if people could spend 2 minutes providing feedback on the guides so I can improve them.

BrandonMcPherson

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:42:34 AM

To those asking about fans, I've gotten acceptable temperatures (44-49 degrees Celsius) with this configuration:

In place of the original fan, pushing air: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition

In front, where there is no fan, pulling air: Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm Silent Case Fan

I tried two of the Scythe fans because they are so quiet, but Dogie was right several weeks ago when he told me they wouldn't suffice. I wanted to try the Scythe Grand Flex in the rear, but they're a bit of a pain to get in the U.S. (and they're pricey). I tried the Corsair unit linked above, and got temps in the high (46-49 degrees, depending on ambient temperatures at a fraction of the noise. I got a second S1 a couple of days ago, and the same configuration runs that unit 2-3 degrees cooler (44-47 degrees).

Some helpful notes: I had to remove the middle screws on the blades (there are three screws holding each blade in place on either end) to make the Corsair fit. The Scythe fan didn't fit at all, so I got some foam rubber tape and formed an ugly gasket that lifted the fan blades above the screws. This required some X-acto knife trimming. I bet more experienced modders could have done a far better job than me. Smiley

I also had to get some different screws, as the screws that hold the default snow blower are way too long for either replacement fan. They're metric M4-.7 screws, and 35mm or 40mm screws should do it, but make sure you aren't butting them up against any components. Make sure you test fan blade clearance before plugging it in!

I used a 4-pin fan splitter similar to this one to connect the 3-pin Corsair and Scythe fans to the 4-pin connectors on the S1. This required filing down the connector on the splitter so that it would fit the tight 4-pin holder on the S1—they don't use the same configuration. Perhaps more experienced modders can shed light on that, but my hackneyed solution has worked for weeks.

Lastly, I am not convinced this fan combo could handle high ambient temperatures. If I let the room they're in get hot, the temps on the S1s spike to 50-52 degrees.

Your mileage could vary, and I have no idea what I'm doing. This has worked for me, but following any of my ideas could fry your S1.
BrandonMcPherson

Activity: 205

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:51:40 AM

Would appreciate if people could spend 2 minutes providing feedback on the guides so I can improve them.

Done. And thanks for all of your guides. Smiley
kabopar

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 09:32:05 AM

Hi Dogie,
Filled the survey.
Your S1 guide is great!
You may want to add a note on the router setting and IP address range, as current shipments come with a 192.168.1.99 address.
Another suggestion is to give some advice how to set multiple Ant S1's (modify the older one to some address in your router's range, then start the next one with default IP if it is the last one, or after setup move to the next available free address in your router addressing range).
If the router allows fixed IP allocation, this can be used (better to leave the S1 with fixed IP, so there is no issue with expiring DHCP leases, as it's expected to run 24/7 for days).
Another suggestion is to modify the default login password.

Cheers
ak49er

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:30:30 PM

Fan issues.

I've had three S1s up and running for a couple of weeks now.  Two were already in the garage and I moved the third one from my office in to the garage last night.  Checked the temperatures this morning and decided they were a bit too warm, (still under 50, but had all gone up a few degrees).  They were all running at 400MHz, so I took them all down to 375.  Left for a few hours and when I came back the fan had failed on one.  After a reboot the fan spins briefly and then dies.  I connected it up to the second blade and it does the same thing, although it runs at full bore for that one second burst.

So what can I do?  I'm thinking of hooking the fan up to the PSU so it runs constantly so that I can at least get back to hashing, but is the controller smart enough to see no fan connected and stop hashing?  Or is it just temperature based?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 10:43:04 PM

Its not temperature based (there is a min fan rpm), try and run it from the PSU.

ak49er

Activity: 672

Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 11:18:41 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2014, 11:41:59 PM by ak49er

Its not temperature based (there is a min fan rpm), try and run it from the PSU.
OK, fan is running from the PSU, but it's still not hashing.

I have two 1000W PSUs running three S1s.  Could it be a PSU issue?  I only set this configuration up last night, and it seemed to work OK overnight.

Edit:  And now the other one that was half plugged in to the same PSU has stopped hashing.  I switched PSU so this was fully on the PSU and it's doing nothing.  Time to try another PSU.

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 04:13:06 AM

OK, fan is running from the PSU, but it's still not hashing.

I have two 1000W PSUs running three S1s.  Could it be a PSU issue?  I only set this configuration up last night, and it seemed to work OK overnight.

Edit:  And now the other one that was half plugged in to the same PSU has stopped hashing.  I switched PSU so this was fully on the PSU and it's doing nothing.  Time to try another PSU.
Yes, that's too much (~1200W). Try one Antminer at a time, but try and all three. If none work, PSU is totally dead. If all 3 work individually, its the PSU can't take the combined load.

tripppn

Activity: 756

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 04:42:26 AM

3 ants will push it but should be doable. I wouldn't overclock though.

So basically, I can split an Ant between 2 of these? Each PSU has 4 PCI-E cables, pretty sure the explanation is clear enough with just text, but if a diagram helps let me know. No plans to OC.

Would be like this:
Ant1
PSU a

Ant2
PSU a & b (cable from each)

Ant3
PSU b
This is absolutely fine as there is no actual crossloading. Each blade in an S1 acts independently when it comes to power so you're essentially powering 3 miners on PSU a and 3 on PSU b.

Problems can happen when people power one miner with two PSUs due to crossloading issues.

I got the above configuration working without any issues, thanks.

Next question, pushing it more of course... Can I power 2 Antminers with a Corsair TX850w? Neither one is over-clocked.

Yes.

Oh, super! Thanks for the prompt response!!

I have a related question.
I have a Plat 1kW PSU and a 650W Gold PSU

Can I get away with running 5 blades on the 1k and 3 blades on the 650?  So I have 4 S1s

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
bjalbert

Activity: 166

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:00:26 AM

3 ants will push it but should be doable. I wouldn't overclock though.

So basically, I can split an Ant between 2 of these? Each PSU has 4 PCI-E cables, pretty sure the explanation is clear enough with just text, but if a diagram helps let me know. No plans to OC.

Would be like this:
Ant1
PSU a

Ant2
PSU a & b (cable from each)

Ant3
PSU b
This is absolutely fine as there is no actual crossloading. Each blade in an S1 acts independently when it comes to power so you're essentially powering 3 miners on PSU a and 3 on PSU b.

Problems can happen when people power one miner with two PSUs due to crossloading issues.

I got the above configuration working without any issues, thanks.

Next question, pushing it more of course... Can I power 2 Antminers with a Corsair TX850w? Neither one is over-clocked.

Yes.

Oh, super! Thanks for the prompt response!!

Can I get away with running 5 blades on the 1k and 3 blades on the 650?  So I have 4 S1s

I assume you are going to overclock these correct? If so you would be right at 1000w+ on your 1k plat psu. What you could do is lower the clock of one S1 on your 1k psu until you are under 1k watts. Most people like to have much more headroom but you might be ok(I push some of my plat psu's close to max). Use a Kill A Watt meter(buy at lowes or home depot) to see where you are at and go from there. Your 3 blades on the 650 should be ok.

In my testing my 393 clocked S1's are right at 400w on platinum psu.
dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 05:01:38 AM

The 1KW might struggle with 5 if you overclock, but should be just about okay at stock.

ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 05:11:21 AM

The 1KW might struggle with 5 if you overclock, but should be just about okay at stock.

Second this...

180W per blade @stock...1K PSU will be OK with 5 ...650W with 3...

Everything above stock...and you pushing it...
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 01:07:22 PM

Hi, I need some help here, I'm in newbie territory.

I bought two Antminer S1s secondhand. I connected them to my network and powered them up. After a few minutes the green LEDs on the sides came on and the fans speeded up. I thought this indicated both machines were OK, but mining for the previous owner. I tried going to 192.168.1.99 to put in my pool details, since this is the address on the label, but always got 'not found'.

The date on the machines is 2013/12/1. They have the 6-pin PCIe type power sockets. They are plugged directly into my router.

After some thought I did a factory reset. Now I can access 192.168.1.99 and set up my miner configuration. Under Interfaces -> LAN -> Edit the Protocol was already DCHP client, but I changed to static and then back to DCHP to be sure. I logged out and power-cycled the machine.

Now nothing is happening with the miner. The Antminer doesn't show on the client list of my router (BT HomeHub 2.0, accessed at 192.168.1.254). I have tried 'reset' on the router but with no result.

I have no idea what to do to get the machine mining for me. Please can somebody help me?

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 03:00:37 PM

Are you sure you're only plugging in one at a time? If they have the same default IP then they'll be conflicting. You can also use an IP scanner to see where the Antminer is ending up after DCHP.

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:46:01 PM

Are you sure you're only plugging in one at a time? If they have the same default IP then they'll be conflicting. You can also use an IP scanner to see where the Antminer is ending up after DCHP.
Yes, only one Antminer (2 boards) is connected and running. I've used the Advanced IP scanner recommended in another thread, it shows up devices I know about, 192.168.1.99 because I still have that connection open, and one entry that is new to me on 192.168.1.253. I've tried to get to this last address with Chrome but get a 'Can't connect' error.

The instructions have a bit about changing to a subnet 2 192.168.2.x but I couldn't figure out what this did. Is it important?

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 03:52:01 PM

Yes, only one Antminer (2 boards) is connected and running. I've used the Advanced IP scanner recommended in another thread, it shows up devices I know about, 192.168.1.99 because I still have that connection open, and one entry that is new to me on 192.168.1.253. I've tried to get to this last address with Chrome but get a 'Can't connect' error.

The instructions have a bit about changing to a subnet 2 192.168.2.x but I couldn't figure out what this did. Is it important?
Don't need to change subnet if the cube is on 1.99. You want to be on the same subnet as the antminer.

Stinky_Pete

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:54:41 PM

Don't need to change subnet if the cube is on 1.99. You want to be on the same subnet as the antminer.
Yes, that's what I thought. Did the earlier models come on that subnet?

dogie (OP)
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 03:57:56 PM

Yes, that's what I thought. Did the earlier models come on that subnet?
Yep

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: