Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:01:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Alt-Coins Do You NOT Consider A Pump & Dump?  (Read 6949 times)
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 08:02:29 PM

The only altcoins I can see that could serve a genuine purpose, or offer something different to Bitcoin would be Litecoin and Peercoin, and potentially primecoin.

Why Litecoin?  When introduced, it offered nothing to the cryptocurrency world that had not been done before.

(My point is, look how Litecoin has succeeded, even though it was just a repeat of what had been done before.  Think about what that could mean for the current coins out there now.)

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 08:04:05 PM

it's crazy and could harm BTC's reputation.

Nobody ever talks about what could harm Gold's reputation, or Silver's reputation.

It's Bitcoin's job to be resilient against all attacks, including infinite cloning.  And it has proved to be very resilient against such events this year.

FiatKiller

Activity: 378

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:23:10 PM

The only altcoins I can see that could serve a genuine purpose, or offer something different to Bitcoin would be Litecoin and Peercoin, and potentially primecoin.

Why Litecoin?  When introduced, it offered nothing to the cryptocurrency world that had not been done before.

(My point is, look how Litecoin has succeeded, even though it was just a repeat of what had been done before.  Think about what that could mean for the current coins out there now.)

It wasn't the first scryptcoin? (I really don't know)

LTC: LdxgJQLUdr8hZ79BV5AYbxkBUdaXctXAPi
MoonCoin Gambling: https://coin-horse.com/MON/
Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 04:33:23 PM

Litecoin, Peercoin, Primecoin, Curecoin, Freicoin, Gridcoin and Anoncoin.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 06:16:57 PM

Correct, it was not the first.  Unfortunately I've lost my reference to what came before that used Scrypt, but I read it here on this forum.  Really our time horizons are extremely short, for most of us in this community: we do not know what came before and very quickly adjust to new status quos and start to think things have always been this way.

The interesting thing is that Litecoin succeeded where others before it did not.  It would be a mistake to assume that could not happen again.

ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 06:50:33 PM

In full disclosure, I run a Tag mining pool.  I only do so because I support the idea that the Tagbond/Tagcoin team are working on.  In addition, I started a poll thread when the crapcoin flood happened earlier in the year, trying to ban or move the crapcoins out of this subforum.  I'm was a vocal opponent of almost all the new coins.  I still hate most of them, because they are in fact a fly-by-night pump and dump coin.

That being said... yes, it's true that TagCOIN doesn't bring anything new to the game.  It is a ppc clone that has been modified to fit the needs/wants of the dev.  So as far as a cryptocurrency goes, it's another drop in the bucket.  If you can't look past that to see what else is going on, so be it.

But TagBOND is visionary.  The system itself is well thought out, and is already in place and working in a large market in Asia... and expanding.  We've already seen what the Asian market support can do with crypto.  In short, Tagbond is a rewards points system for businesses focused around it's own currency - Tagcoin.  It also supports BTC, and fiat, and all are interchangeable from within the system.  Take your typical rewards points card, lets say Starbucks or something.  I go to Starbucks and buy a coffee, I use my rewards card and earn "Starbucks" points.  Then later that day I go and use my CVS points card at CVS, and so on and so forth.  At the end of the day, I'm left with a bunch of points that can only be used at their respective businesses, and can only be used for their predefined points reward prizes/discounts.  But what Tagbond does, with the use of Tagcoins, is facilitate a universal rewards points system that can be used anywhere where it's accepted.  So now my Starbucks points can be used at CVS.  And my Toy-R-Us points can be used at the local sporting goods store.  I don't have to worry about carrying 15 different rewards cards, and none of them really amounting to anything at the end of the day.  It's like airline miles for the crypto world.  And to top it all off, because the "points" are Tagcoins, at the end of the month, if I choose to do so, I can convert my points into BTC or fiat on the fly.  So now those stupid Starbucks points that earn me a free latte at the end of the month is instead cold hard cash or BTC in my wallet when I need it.

This, and it is all backed with $5m in capitol by an internet industry pioneer, Mark Vernon, and a LARGE dev team dedicated to making this work.  In fact, Mark posted a picture today of most of the team in the OP of the Tagcoin ANN thread.  It isn't just 2 guys in their mom's basement.  It will be huge, and by association, so will Tagcoin.

It is the most visionary thing to happen to crypto in a long time, and that's why I support it.

-Fuse

Community > Devs
Notanon

Activity: 388

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 08:27:53 PM

Correct, it was not the first.  Unfortunately I've lost my reference to what came before that used Scrypt, but I read it here on this forum.  Really our time horizons are extremely short, for most of us in this community: we do not know what came before and very quickly adjust to new status quos and start to think things have always been this way.

The interesting thing is that Litecoin succeeded where others before it did not.  It would be a mistake to assume that could not happen again.

I believe Tenebrix is the first Scrypt coin you were thinking of.
Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:00:04 PM

I believe Tenebrix is the first Scrypt coin you were thinking of.

Thanks - you're right!

Tenebrix - created to use up all those spare CPU cycles while your GPU cycles are mining for Bitcoins:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45667.0

Anyone have any speculation as to why Litecoin succeeded and Tenebrix did not?

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:12:17 PM

Okay, I went and learned some history.

Tenebrix was launched to be GPU-unfriendly, using Scrypt proof of work instead of SHA256.  (The funny thing is that today, we think Scrypt coins are great because you can use your GPUs on them - we think of them as ASIC-unfriendly.  How we forget.)

Tenebrix had a premine of about 7.7 million coins!

In response to this, Fairbrix was launched - a fork of the Tenebrix source, with a new ledger that had "only" a hundred blocks premined.  LOL!  I guess that was considered acceptable in those days.

But the really striking thing I discovered was that the Fairbrix developer was coblee.  That's the original developer that released Litecoin.  (And I believe his brother runs BTCChina, which you might have heard of.  Or maybe I am confused.)

So apparently for some reason, Fairbrix didn't work out, and coblee went on to create Litecoin.  I would imagine the 100 block premine had something to do with it, but I'll bet I'm wrong, since it appears that people thought that the 100 block premine was nothing, back then.

Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:15:48 PM

Litecoin was the first attempt at speeding up the transaction speed on the massive blockchain of BTC and avoid the ASIC Arms Race in mining but that may change with the advent of Script ASIC boards ...

Except Litecoin was not the first attempt at either of those.

edit: appears this has been covered

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:15:52 PM

References:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46528.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=207047.0
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_alternative_cryptocurrencies#TBX_Tenebrix
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/List_of_alternative_cryptocurrencies#FBX_Fairbrix

Walter Rothbard

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:17:09 PM

Litecoin was the first attempt at speeding up the transaction speed on the massive blockchain of BTC and avoid the ASIC Arms Race in mining but that may change with the advent of Script ASIC boards ...

Except Litecoin was not the first attempt at either of those.

Litecoin wasn't trying to avoid ASICs.  It was trying to avoid GPUs.

And it wasn't the first!  It was at least the third!

And faster block speeds don't speed up confirmation times.  If you speed up the blocks, you simply need more blocks to confirm.  There's nothing magic about "6" blocks.

Nixzor

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:21:12 PM

Primecoin
Tagcoin
Yacoin
Anoncoin
These are definetly not pump and dump... and are currently undervalued.

Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:28:37 PM

Litecoin wasn't trying to avoid ASICs.  It was trying to avoid GPUs.

Not technically true, the same guy who designed the first GPU miner for bitcoin designed the scrypt PoW. Make of that what you want.

bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

No mention of ProtoShares?  The only 'coin' that is not attempting to be a currency? 

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
mgauffin

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:33:52 PM

BTC
LTC
NET

..are the ones i currently hold. the first 2 because i trade with them and NET because I like the community and its young with great plans. I like working with them and i hope it succeeds but either way im having fun now compared to watching trollbox in BTC-E all day trying to day-trade. The only trading i do now is buying and selling NET to spread the wealth Smiley
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 09:40:09 PM

gridcoin if they could get it to use gpu

prime and ppc both great coins and lagging to where they should be

digi is not pumped at all and i wonder where the dev went....this guy was always thinking outside of the box.

quark is by design and excellent coin...the cry babies who don't have any will say it is not. It is now distributed via the market as it should be and mining needs to become non essential - hopefully they will code in pos. It has not been pumped, this is its real value.

anon - great idea and great team.

Mega - great dev

cgb have a nice team

tag - money behind it.

tix - another rock solid coin works perfectly never any trouble with it., N factor high now so will be cpu only soon. Similar to yac but fairer because it started off with a gpu  miner for everyone.

wdc - i had written this off a while back but coming back strongly with a lot of support

the market naturally pumps and dumps all coins that is the nature of it.
artificial pumps are quite easy to spot if you watch the order books.

mladen00
Legendary

Activity: 2124
Merit: 1013

K-ing®

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:09:45 PM

anoncoin, litecoins, primecoins,

IOTA
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:32:10 PM

"What Alt-Coins Do You NOT Consider A Pump & Dump?"

Lets be honest with each other the answer is a very clear Zero, and I'd extend that to include Bitcoin (probably one of the worst proof; just look bitcoins chart, the last month, the last year.....well pretty much any period).

However no complaints here, I love a good tulip as much as the next person  Wink
wizzardTim
Legendary

Activity: 1708

Reality is stranger than fiction

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:40:37 PM

Clearly NXT,MΣC. Only these

Behold the Tangle Mysteries! Dare to know It's truth.

- Excerpt from the IOTA Sacred Texts Vol. I
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: