Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 06:08:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Next generation 14nm mining grid  (Read 7566 times)
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:39:15 PM

Mark is an ex-programmer and professional writer, who invented Charity Engine as part of a sci-fi novel, figured it would really work, so stopped writing the novel and started the company.

Read the same press as you.  
The company's financial model is a flop -- hence the panhandling on this forum.
From the tech perspective, Charity Engine is no more interesting than a kid with a botnet.
His new scheme is nonsensical and technologically without merit.
The "charities" angle is a con to avoid having to pay people for their proc time.
Charities Engine name in itself is deceptive and misleading -- Charity Engine is a for-profit corporation.
As a con, its as lowbrow as it gets: "Win money for free while donating to charities."
Nothing new here, other than the level of laziness.
EBM (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 06:54:39 PM

Hey crumbs - just so you know, you've been on ignore since page 2.

I've no idea why you're so infatuated with me, it's very flattering but I am taken - and also not gay.

Do please feel free to keep shouting at the walls if you like, but Elvis has left the building.  Cool

BTC: 1DZnyYaZ2VcQWNyYayNBqfTVQw2JQAmdA5
crumbs

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:00:39 PM

^^
Feel free to follow in his footsteps Smiley
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:25:14 PM

"The SVC2UK ‘100 Club’ is a group of individuals who we believe to have the most innovative, high-growth ventures and who show the greatest promise to become future serial entrepreneurs and investors themselves. The Club is rigorously handpicked by SVC2UK experts via a multi-step selection process, and consists of CEOs likely to build global businesses worth £100 million in the next three to five years."

Why do you think anyone cares what praises an organized circle jerk has made about itself? Contrary to what some threads on this forum might've lead you to believe, Bitcoin isn't suitable for this sort of nonsense. That you continually have to appeal to the "authority" of "professors" and whatnot exhibits quite plainly that you're out of your depth. Go back to my original post here and read the damned thing.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 07:51:24 PM

"The SVC2UK ‘100 Club’ is a group of individuals who we believe to have the most innovative, high-growth ventures and who show the greatest promise to become future serial entrepreneurs and investors themselves. The Club is rigorously handpicked by SVC2UK experts via a multi-step selection process, and consists of CEOs likely to build global businesses worth £100 million in the next three to five years."

Why do you think anyone cares what praises an organized circle jerk has made about itself? Contrary to what some threads on this forum might've lead you to believe, Bitcoin isn't suitable for this sort of nonsense. That you continually have to appeal to the "authority" of "professors" and whatnot exhibits quite plainly that you're out of your depth. Go back to my original post here and read the damned thing.

Seriously how dare you even do anything bitcoin related without the all mighty mr popescu's permission. If you aren't going to pay 30btc to signup for mpex you can fuck off.. /sarcasm
adameb

Activity: 76

View Profile
December 06, 2013, 08:47:31 PM

Any chance that this causes a phone to overheat/catch fire, or a battery to explode, killing some kid with the phone plugged in beside his head while he sleeps, resulting in you getting sued back into the stone age?

Not being facetious here, I'm just curious if there is a non-zero chance of this happening.

** I just ask because if one of these type of incidents occur, its going to be you and the phone manufacturer arguing over whose fault it is, and Samsung's lawyer army won't lose.

Will Dance For Satoshis - 1F1q93wAqgH8WFghRKpnBW8HxShuzkRrqc
EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:22:15 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2013, 10:02:27 AM by EBM

Any chance that this causes a phone to overheat/catch fire, or a battery to explode, killing some kid with the phone plugged in beside his head while he sleeps, resulting in you getting sued back into the stone age?

Not being facetious here, I'm just curious if there is a non-zero chance of this happening.

** I just ask because if one of these type of incidents occur, its going to be you and the phone manufacturer arguing over whose fault it is, and Samsung's lawyer army won't lose.

That's an interesting question! Unless the phone is very faulty, the chance is zero. We won't even be stressing it.

And whenever a phone overheats/explodes/catches fire, it's 100% the manufacturer's liability (unless the user was putting it in a microwave oven or something like that). Their hardware, their negligence. We wouldn't even be involved in the case.

EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 06:23:48 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 07:40:21 PM by EBM

Seriously how dare you even do anything bitcoin related without the all mighty mr popescu's permission. If you aren't going to pay 30btc to signup for mpex you can fuck off.. /sarcasm

Was that MPOE? He's been on ignore since page 1. Damn those "professors", hey...? Wink

EDIT: okay, jumped the gun there. Unblocked. MP isn't remotely like crumbs, he does know his stuff. (As does pankkake, to be fair. Just wouldn't be civil about it.)

crumbs

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:40:31 PM

Was that MPOE? He's been on ignore since page 1. Damn those "professors", hey...? Wink

Maybe one day him, pancake and crumb will get girlfriends. Or just give up trying and move in together.

Adorable little trolls!

All-pro PR campaign.
After being shown to be clueless, OP parries with "I'm a CEO, not a chip designer!!1!" and proceeds to brag about all the people he put on ignore Cheesy
Subcide

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:46:29 PM

Besides, just how many phones do you think are needed to even generate 1 GH/s?

I would say an iPhone 5 probably can do between 10-20MH/s, so if the got a million of those hooked up and mining, it would be about about 10-20 TH/s

That's a tall order though...

That assumes a million online at all times.  Likely each of those will only be online for a few hours a day max.  Anyone on an iPhone would need to run the app, it wouldn't run in the background for very long at all.
crumbs

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 12:54:28 PM

I would say an iPhone 5 probably can do between 10-20MH/s, so if the got a million of those hooked up and mining, it would be about about 10-20 TH/s

That assumes a million online at all times.  Likely each of those will only be online for a few hours a day max.  Anyone on an iPhone would need to run the app, it wouldn't run in the background for very long at all.

I agree, but even thinking along these lines is ridiculous.
("if everyone in the world sent me a penny, they wouldn't even miss it & I'd be a millionaire.")
EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 04:08:37 PM

Yes, we're only expecting 4-6 hours per day from each unit (activates when plugged in, but after the battery has charged first). But we'll be getting way more than 20MH/s per unit when this new mobile silicon arrives.

Android-only for now, Apple doesn't allow any app that can download other executables, which is obviously what a distributed computing app does. BOINC (the software we use) is already coded for Android, too.

EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 11:07:36 PM

Full disclosure and humble pie time.

Thanks to a very kind forum member who actually works in chip fabrication and has contacted me with some crucial information, we have to withdraw this. We've been told some wrong information, and by more than one source.

I would just delete this post immediately but that would be dishonest obfuscation. Not what we're about.

The app will still do plenty of other distributed computing tasks on PCs (as it does now) and on mobiles, but mining BTC on mobiles certainly won't be happening in 2014 and possibly not at all.

Apologies for the cock up. It was an honest mistake and we were acting in good faith. Hopefully this public retraction demonstrates that much, at least. I've amended the OP to say the same thing.

Cheers,
Mark

PS. As it's kind of pointless now, I've asked the moderator to delete the thread. But I wanted to set the record straight and apologise first. Sorry guys.

railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 08:11:23 AM

Hey good for you. It is so easy to get caught up in a good overall idea, and not research the bejasus out of each and every part yourself.
Now for the paranoia bit: are you quite sure that chip expert didn't pull the wool over your eyes?
Don't delete this thread. It's a record of how you did at that time. Can you now adapt? Do it differently next time?
But first, rtfm (mpoe told you so)

crumbs

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 11:12:40 AM

I'm a CEO, not a chip designer. That's why I took advice from a professor.

Quoted for lulz.
EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 03:30:44 PM
Last edit: December 08, 2013, 03:51:23 PM by EBM

Hey good for you. It is so easy to get caught up in a good overall idea, and not research the bejasus out of each and every part yourself.
Now for the paranoia bit: are you quite sure that chip expert didn't pull the wool over your eyes?
Don't delete this thread. It's a record of how you did at that time. Can you now adapt? Do it differently next time?
But first, rtfm (mpoe told you so)

Thanks railzand. The mobile mining was never a core part of the business model in any case (we only started looking at it when we first read that MIT article - and by then our PC app had been live for a year), so it means we've only lost the 'unexpected bonus', as it were. Unfortunate, but not game-changing. The chip expert checks out completely, by the way.

We can certainly adapt, sure. We're now looking at what a scrypt multi-miner could do on mobiles, for example. We know it won't be that lucrative, but as the app will already be doing the web-crawling and internet diagnostic stuff anyway, and it's really no trouble to add other functionality, it's worth doing even if each device can only earn a few pennies per week. We'll see.

VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:09:19 AM

Amazing company!

EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:26:13 AM

Amazing company!

Thanks! It's got the potential to become one, anyway. Still lots of hard work ahead.

VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:33:59 AM

Amazing company!

Thanks! It's got the potential to become one, anyway. Still lots of hard work ahead.

That work will pay off -- I'm sure of it!
 Just remember, if you can make your customers/investors happy, then you will be happy too!  Also, if there's anything we have learned from Labcoin, is that you will have a lot of people behind you and plenty of support, no matter what!   Wink
I'll even lend you some money, and you can pay me back whenever you want..

EBM (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:41:10 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 07:35:52 PM by EBM

Amazing company!

That work will pay off -- I'm sure of it!
 Just remember, if you can make your customers/investors happy, then you will be happy too!  Also, if there's anything we have learned from Labcoin, is that you will have a lot of people behind you and plenty of support, no matter what!   Wink
I'll even lend you some money, and you can pay me back whenever you want..

Ah, I see... In that case, how about we flip a coin and either pay you back at 1000% interest if it's heads - or not at all if it's tails. The coin flips, sorry... the coin flip will be filmed and then released on YouTube, so it's totally fair.

You are a kind and noble gentleman. Our BTC addy is below. Wink

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: