Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:42:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC + Air Conditioning = Safe?  (Read 489 times)
EthanB (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 08:58:14 PM

I've recently started mining and I'm adding more and more equipment to my small mining operation. There are high end GPUs and high end ASIC machines running pretty constantly. The room is slowly gaining temperature as I add more pieces of hardware, this is to be expected because of CFM and all of that. I'm wondering if there are any simple ways to combat this heat increase that are also financially painless. Can I add an Air Conditioning unit to the room or does the method of cooling add too much moisture into the air? Would I be able to combat that moisture with a dehumidifier? How much help would leaving a window open do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stefan2208

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 09:04:36 PM
Last edit: May 06, 2018, 09:18:37 PM by stefan2208

I think air conditioning can't solve your problem. It matters the circulation of the air so you should add two fans. One of them should add the air into the room with rigs and the other one to take the air out. On the first one that brings the air into your room you should put some net to protect from insects. There is no need to be worried about the moisture because your rigs will dry it out.
EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 10:15:44 PM

Wouldn't an Air Conditioner accomplish exactly what you are describing? It operates, at the very least, as an intake fan and does so while cooling the air it takes in. An Air Conditioner seems to be a very effective intake fan, when the problem is stale, warm air or am I mistaken? The rigs keep themselves at pretty good temperatures, but there's simply not enough air flow. Could I add an Air Conditioner and an Exhaust fan to accomplish the same thing?
yrk1957

Activity: 529
Merit: 29

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 10:53:27 PM

Wouldn't an Air Conditioner accomplish exactly what you are describing? It operates, at the very least, as an intake fan and does so while cooling the air it takes in. An Air Conditioner seems to be a very effective intake fan, when the problem is stale, warm air or am I mistaken? The rigs keep themselves at pretty good temperatures, but there's simply not enough air flow. Could I add an Air Conditioner and an Exhaust fan to accomplish the same thing?

It would depend upon the A/C. For example split A/Cs do not bring in fresh air.

Its hard to imagine how these three as "separate" features can work together:
1. Intake Fan
2. A/C
3. Exhaust

Specifically I am not sure you can have a exhaust system and and A/C. It would probably make the A/C work extra hard(??).

I am not an expert though.

dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2018, 11:02:11 PM

watts x 3.41 = BTU's / 12000 = tonnage you need for that room.

Example

10000 watts x 3.41 = 34,100 but / 12000 = 2.84 TON to cool it.

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 11:23:38 PM

The best and cost effective is not to use an AC

What is effective in my mining room is to drive heat outside and let the fresh air in

my rigs are more happier than ever not getting those red marks temp

A/C may be used if electricity cost doesn't concern with you

visit this thread. its also my reference on A/C usage

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1348488.0
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:01:03 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2018, 12:11:58 AM by Metroid

You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous, add only exhaust fans and you should be fine, just make sure your exhaust fans are pulling the air from holes and if you dont have proper holes to how much air the exhaust fans need then you need to make them, you need to calculate hole size and air m3 per minute for the hole to supply.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:03:38 AM

You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous, add only exhaust fans and you should be fine, just make sure your exhaust fans are pulling the air from holes and if you dont have proper holes to how much air it needs for the exhaust fans then you need to make them, you need to calculate hole size and air m3 per minute.

Exactly. You just need an exhaust. It will make your room cooler and at the same time cost less in terms of power consumption.

I believe this has been discussed by mining veterans and airflow experts here previously.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
yrk1957

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:10:07 AM

You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous, add only exhaust fans and you should be fine, just make sure your exhaust fans are pulling the air from holes and if you dont have proper holes to how much air the exhaust fans need then you need to make them, you need to calculate hole size and air m3 per minute.

I am not sure an exhaust system is viable if outside ambient temp is 100F/40C plus. So it would depend where you are.

Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:16:32 AM

Exactly. You just need an exhaust. It will make your room cooler and at the same time cost less in terms of power consumption.

I believe this has been discussed by mining veterans and airflow experts here previously.

Well I was a miner when all started in 2009 so I did a long and vast research to understand how it had to work. I mined for 4 years and I went through even at 50c degree celsius on summer.

I am not sure an exhaust system is viable if outside ambient temp is 100F/40C plus. So it would depend where you are.

It works on any location, summer or winter. There is no better method than that. You need to understand that the exhaust fan will do the intake fan job and that is the proper method, just make sure nothing is blocking the exhaust fan to work, a straight line of the computers from air starting to air ending is a must too. Also exhaust always on top, preferable on ceiling, the hot air always stays on top, cold air always at bottom inside the room.

Dagamus(NM)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:21:10 AM

As long as the air outside is cooler than the GPUs they will still cool. Exhaust fan and source of air and you will be good. Filtered source is even better.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 12:33:09 AM

As long as the air outside is cooler than the GPUs they will still cool. Exhaust fan and source of air and you will be good. Filtered source is even better.

What comment is that? it will always be cooler outside, if not then you don't need an exhaust at all and that is partly if you have an air conditioner, ambient temperature is ambient temperature, outside air will always be cooler or equal inside air, but never hotter maybe you think even without air conditioner inside your house is cooler than outside if no computer is powered, nothing is powered, you wrong, inside your house is = air ambient temperature, the feeling is because the sun is not having direct contact to your skin or the heat the sun produces is being absorbed by the roof tiles, but concerning air, is all the same if nothing is working towards a change, for example if you have heating or cold coming out from things.

You trolls need to learn a lot yet about physics and alteration.

EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:24:30 AM

You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous

I'm pretty clueless about all of this, so you're right in saying that we need to learn more about physics. If I paid attention in class I probably wouldn't need to even have this discussion. I had imagined this, because intake would only be necessary if there was a lack of airflow or something like that. As long as there is exhaust, the hot air will be escaping and the room will be cooling.

I am not sure an exhaust system is viable if outside ambient temp is 100F/40C Plus.

I just had an experience where outside ambient temp was 90F and my miners didn't increase in temperatures at all. ASIC chips stayed low 50C and GPUs staying high 60C without giving up any processing power. I probably don't even need anymore exhaust than I currently have with this being the case.

You need to understand that the exhaust fan will do the intake fan job and that is the proper method

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is because all of the air exiting will naturally be replaced, is that right?

If I had merits, Metroid, you'd be receiving one.
yrk1957

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:46:12 AM

Well I was a miner when all started in 2009 so I did a long and vast research to understand how it had to work. I mined for 4 years and I went through even at 50c degree celsius on summer.

It works on any location, summer or winter. There is no better method than that. You need to understand that the exhaust fan will do the intake fan job and that is the proper method, just make sure nothing is blocking the exhaust fan to work, a straight line of the computers from air starting to air ending is a must too. Also exhaust always on top, preferable on ceiling, the hot air always stays on top, cold air always at bottom inside the room.

I see. So it should be possible to run them outside, under shade, with inlet filtered, and no extra air handler required? An experiment of the peak summer.
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:55:06 AM

I think air conditioning can't solve your problem. It matters the circulation of the air so you should add two fans. One of them should add the air into the room with rigs and the other one to take the air out. On the first one that brings the air into your room you should put some net to protect from insects. There is no need to be worried about the moisture because your rigs will dry it out.
What are you smoking?  No need to be worried about moisture? Rigs will dry out?  You have no idea what you are talking about.  What exactly is it that you think an a/c unit does? It has two fans.  One blows supply air across a cold evaporator coil and the second one sucks air in and blows it across the condenser coil to push heat from the refrigerant to the atmosphere.  That heat was removed from the room. 

The only problem lies in an a/c unit that is not big enough to keep up with the heat load of the miners.  Then theres the power costs of the a/c to take into account.
remauto1187ma

Activity: 234

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 02:59:08 AM

What comment is that? it will always be cooler outside, if not then you don't need an exhaust at all and that is partly if you have an air conditioner, ambient temperature is ambient temperature, outside air will always be cooler or equal inside air, but never hotter maybe you think even without air conditioner inside your house is cooler than outside if no computer is powered, nothing is powered, you wrong, inside your house is = air ambient temperature, the feeling is because the sun is not having direct contact to your skin or the heat the sun produces is being absorbed by the roof tiles, but concerning air, is all the same if nothing is working towards a change, for example if you have heating or cold coming out from things.

You trolls need to learn a lot yet about physics and alteration.
\

"outside air will always be cooler or equal inside air, but never hotter"...Never heard of radiant heat? Explain to me then why an attic is hotter than outside ambient temp when not vented?

EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 03:29:43 AM

"outside air will always be cooler or equal inside air, but never hotter"...Never heard of radiant heat? Explain to me then why an attic is hotter than outside ambient temp when not vented?

They said that outside air will be cooler, then you said "Explain why the attic is hotter." Do you understand that you are saying the same thing? Heads I win, Tails you lose. Get it? If the attic is hotter than outside, than the outside air is cooler.
Apocalypse Onion

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 04:05:22 AM

I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous

Are they a danger to small children? Maybe mice? Is it rabbits?
EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 04:09:04 AM

I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous

Are they a danger to small children? Maybe mice? Is it rabbits?

I forgot to ask in my last post, but I was also wondering this myself. What exactly are they a danger to? I didn't want to sound like a dunce, but I honestly cannot figure it out. Dangerous to overspend on electricity possibly? Increased chance of blowing a fuse, maybe.
Metroid

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 10:32:02 AM
Merited by leonix007 (1)

You must be trolling here right? attic is closer to roof tiles(direct contact with the sun or ultraviolet rays) and that explains why is always hotter, also, within the house, the hotspot will always be the attic because is at the top of a collection of rooms, the hot air of those rooms will always go to the attic or to the ambient which is dependent how the attic was built, i mean to comport the hot air of all rooms going to it or not. The basement will always be cooler because is closer to earth ambient temperature and the air will always be denser underground and any hot air will be going up naturally. It is all about physics.

I forgot to ask in my last post, but I was also wondering this myself. What exactly are they a danger to? I didn't want to sound like a dunce, but I honestly cannot figure it out. Dangerous to overspend on electricity possibly? Increased chance of blowing a fuse, maybe.

Concerning home rooms, intake fans is dangerous because that will make anything that is outside going to your room faster than ever and that should never happen, a very high positive pressure is never good for home rooms. Example, there was a person that placed an intake fan and an exhaust fan, the intake fan was adding more air than the exhaust would remove, for few days, it rained a lot and the air after few days was very humid inside the room and that started causing components and equipment to fail, you can read more about this here http://www.smartfog.com/humidity-in-computer-rooms-what-you-should-know.html

If is a huge warehouse, hardly a problem but you need to make sure there are failsafes if intake fans are pulling more air than the warehouse space can take it.

So the rule is simple, intake fans = exhaust fans on m3 air, we can't have negative pressure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_room_pressure and we cant have a positive pressure either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_pressure, we have to have something between it and that is why i said intake fans must be = exhaust fans on m3 air, what is coming in is going out but the method is pointless as you can have it only with exhaust fans as I explained before.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: