Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:54:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC + Air Conditioning = Safe?  (Read 487 times)
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 01:20:04 PM

I forgot to ask in my last post, but I was also wondering this myself. What exactly are they a danger to? I didn't want to sound like a dunce, but I honestly cannot figure it out. Dangerous to overspend on electricity possibly? Increased chance of blowing a fuse, maybe.

Concerning home rooms, intake fans is dangerous because that will make anything that is outside going to your room faster than ever and that should never happen, a very high positive pressure is never good for home rooms. Example, there was a person that placed an intake fan and an exhaust fan, the intake fan was adding more air than the exhaust would remove, for few days, it rained a lot and the air after few days was very humid inside the room and that started causing components and equipment to fail, you can read more about this here http://www.smartfog.com/humidity-in-computer-rooms-what-you-should-know.html

If is a huge warehouse, hardly a problem but you need to make sure there are failsafes if intake fans are pulling more air than the warehouse space can take it.

So the rule is simple, intake fans = exhaust fans on m3 air, we can't have negative pressure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_room_pressure and we cant have a positive pressure either https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_pressure, we have to have something between it and that is why i said intake fans must be = exhaust fans on m3 air, what is coming in is going out but the method is pointless as you can have it only with exhaust fans as I explained before.

Nice explanation Metroid,  I don't use an intake fans as I've created a window below of my mining room and were already hit the game

powerful exhaust fans should truly enough for it

with your detailed write ups you get a merit from me
 Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EthanB (OP)

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 07:47:48 PM

The basement will always be cooler because is closer to earth ambient temperature and the air will always be denser underground and any hot air will be going up naturally. It is all about physics.

To put it more simply : "Heat rises." Have I gotten that complex concept down?  Grin

Concerning home rooms, intake fans is dangerous because that will make anything that is outside going to your room faster than ever and that should never happen, a very high positive pressure is never good for home rooms. Example, there was a person that placed an intake fan and an exhaust fan, the intake fan was adding more air than the exhaust would remove, for few days, it rained a lot and the air after few days was very humid inside the room and that started causing components and equipment to fail, you can read more about this here http://www.smartfog.com/humidity-in-computer-rooms-what-you-should-know.html

Well I certainly don't have a warehouse, so we are talking about regular room conditions within a home or garage. Point taken, exhaust fans are sufficient in just about any scenario like the one we're dealing with. I'll save my AC, keep it in the bedroom and potentially just pick myself up an exhaust fan if need be when I add more equipment. Very helpful, Metroid, thanks a lot. I've even read like four different helpful Wikipedia pages, that have taught me more than a whole year in physics class.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 07, 2018, 08:58:06 PM

Just need to make sure to calculate the exhaust fan m3 air sucking capability and the hole for it, start with a small hole, if the intake air is only coming from the hole then is good, if the intake air is coming from the hole and other places then it means the hole needs to be bigger or make small holes only, need to watch out for thieves, holes larger than 20x20 is dangerous but if your place is very safe then I'd say larger holes are better.  A rule is, if you have a 50x50 exhaust fan then make a 50x50 hole but like I said before, it will depend on your exhaust fan sucking capability.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Apocalypse Onion

Activity: 44
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:30:55 AM

A rule is, if you have a 50x50 exhaust fan then make a 50x50 hole but like I said before, it will depend on your exhaust fan sucking capability.

For passive intakes, I'd make the combined area 25% to 50% bigger than the exhaust fan. The greatest obstruction to air flow is at intake and exhaust, so if one of them is unpowered we can just make it bigger to reduce resistance. This is my experience from cooling polytunnels (hence rabbits, lol).
EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 02:47:41 PM

Just need to make sure to calculate the exhaust fan m3 air sucking capability and the hole for it, start with a small hole, if the intake air is only coming from the hole then is good, if the intake air is coming from the hole and other places then it means the hole needs to be bigger or make small holes only, need to watch out for thieves, holes larger than 20x20 is dangerous but if your place is very safe then I'd say larger holes are better.  A rule is, if you have a 50x50 exhaust fan then make a 50x50 hole but like I said before, it will depend on your exhaust fan sucking capability.

I have a couple different options for mining locations, but right now a hole large than 20x20 would be extremely dangerous in my opinion. I don't want anybody (or anything) crawling through it to get to me or my stuff. The hole should match the size of the exhaust fan, is that right, generally? I know the sucking capability calculations are going to be more accurate, but just for estimation-sake.

I think I've got everything I need and expected from this thread. Very helpful discussion, and I've got a pretty clear picture about how to proceed efficiently, without damaging my hardware in any way. Metroid is the MVP here, sorry that I don't have any merit to dish out to ya. I'll probably be locking this bad boy, unless I think of another question or run into another related issue. Appreciate the help.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 02:58:11 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2018, 03:26:16 PM by toptek

I've recently started mining and I'm adding more and more equipment to my small mining operation. There are high end GPUs and high end ASIC machines running pretty constantly. The room is slowly gaining temperature as I add more pieces of hardware, this is to be expected because of CFM and all of that. I'm wondering if there are any simple ways to combat this heat increase that are also financially painless. Can I add an Air Conditioning unit to the room or does the method of cooling add too much moisture into the air? Would I be able to combat that moisture with a dehumidifier? How much help would leaving a window open do?

Air Conditioning won't do much good if you don't move that hot air out while the cool air is coming in it's about air flow and how you move it an were.

so that said

Air Conditioning if used right is very safe if you can afford to do it in other words it's the most costly way to do it . or not worth it unless your rich or have no power cost to worry about then it is very safe to do and the best way imo to do it but that's a debate so it's all about what your willing to invest and can afford till you see that ROI, if that's what your after .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 03:29:02 PM

I have a couple different options for mining locations, but right now a hole large than 20x20 would be extremely dangerous in my opinion. I don't want anybody (or anything) crawling through it to get to me or my stuff. The hole should match the size of the exhaust fan, is that right, generally? I know the sucking capability calculations are going to be more accurate, but just for estimation-sake.

It does not need to match, for example, start with only one exhaust fan, if is not doing the job well then add another one and so on, if your exhaust fan is 50x50 then start with 3 holes 20x20, do not place the holes closer, thieves could find a way to link/connect them. After you do the first then you will understand it better cause theory is something, try it outs and see how it actually works is something else.

Air Conditioning won't do much good if you don't move that hot air out while the cool air is coming in it's about air flow and how you move it an were.
so that said
Air Conditioning if used right is very safe if you can afford to do it in other words it's the most costly way to do it . or not worth it unless your rich or have no power cost to worry about then it is very safe to do and the best way imo to do it but that's a debate so it's all about what your willing to invest and can afford till you see that ROI, if that's what your after .

3.41 btu per kwh is a lot, I'd say, air conditioner is the safest and expensive, approximately which all depends, only one exhaust fan does the job of 5 air conditioners and uses only 300 watts hour instead of 5000 watts hour, so is a huge difference.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2018, 03:36:41 PM

Seconding the fans vote. Also bear in mind if you choose aircon it'll be running flatout 24/7, which kills anything non-industrial pretty quick.

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 04:30:45 PM

3.41 btu per kwh is a lot, I'd say, air conditioner is the safest and expensive, approximately which all depends, only one exhaust fan does the job of 5 air conditioners and uses only 300 watts instead of 5000 watts, so is a huge difference.

I was thinking for some reason that the air conditioner was going to be less expensive. I was mislead by the "cooling" aspect, and I suppose I didn't put enough thought and consideration into the pressure and exhaust. I thought the air wouldn't need to be pushed out through an exhaust if it could simply be cooled. My physics knowledge needs some serious work, because I'm still a bit confused, but with more information to tackle the problem. It sounds more like the A/C is going to cut into my profits, increase ROI time and potentially completely negate the profits all together.

Does it matter where the holes are in orientation to the hardware or each other? I would have to make some holes and have them prove to be unhelpful. As you said though, might be better if I just make one and get a better feel for the whole idea.

it'll be running flatout 24/7, which kills anything non-industrial pretty quick.

All of the A/Cs I've had get run pretty much 24/7 all summer, never really had any problems. Have I been accidentally buying industrial A/Cs? Cheesy
Sevarchik

Activity: 420
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 05:16:58 PM

air conditioner is the best solution for you
Of course if the cost not limited and wires not overloaded

EthanB (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2018, 05:19:44 PM

air conditioner is the best solution for you
Of course if the cost not limited

That's my signal to lock the thread. Once the input stops being productive and there's users just blatantly posting 1-liners that make me facepalm, there's no turning back. The post directly above yours is discussing that air conditioning is not a feasible solution to the problem, for exactly the reason you say "if" about. The costs are way too high, and the effectiveness of the Air Conditioner for the job it is to accomplish would be abysmal. We've decided on exhaust fans, A/C's are better for personal comfort than for cooling your hardware.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: