Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:32:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why didn't you sell?  (Read 13309 times)
JayB (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:57:35 AM

I sold.  For sure.  Sold at $1107. Bought back in at $690.  Missed the bottom in both directions, but was happy to get SIXTY PERCENT MORE coins than what I had on Friday!  WooT!

Dude congratulations for being one of the smartest users on the forum.

This is exactly what I've been trying to explain to them all along and there you come and prove me right!

Thank you dude, thank you!

And for those who think this is gambling...well for sure you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually I would argue that holding your Bitcoins after the announcement would've been more gambling!
JayB (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:08:59 AM

I sold.  For sure.  Sold at $1107. Bought back in at $690.  Missed the bottom in both directions, but was happy to get SIXTY PERCENT MORE coins than what I had on Friday!  WooT!

This is exactly what I've been trying to explain to them all along and there you come and prove me right!

And for those who think this is gambling...well for sure you don't know what you're talking about.

Actually I would argue that holding your Bitcoins after the announcement would've been more gambling!

Most speculators lose money.

Thing is you're not getting the point.

The ones speculating are the ones who didn't sell while it was going down. Why? because you were speculating that the price will go up again. <-- this is speculating by itself.

Selling after the announcement was a safer strategy. 

elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:33:40 AM

If everyone sold, you would not be feeling like a winner Wink If i had sold everyone would have lost, so thank me this time Wink
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:33:18 AM

Many people panicked after the shut down of Silk Road and sold their coins.  The rebound was really fast though and then many had to buy in at a higher price and ended up with less coins. The China situation could have had the same response. Nothing is a sure thing with BTC.

For some of us with BTC in cold storage, it is a bit time consuming to get coins on exchanges.  Then the risk of trading them is a bit daunting.  It is not a guarantee that the price will drop much.  For those of us that do not want to end up with more fiat then BTC it is just not worth the risk.  We are thinking long term here.  To end up with $10,000 or more in fiat now would be stupid if the BTC we sold is worth $100,000 in a few months.  It is way less risky to just buy and hold.

And you have to understand that Bitchick came to this realization after daytrading .5 BTC for several months and ending up with...  .48 BTC.

Once you try it OP, you'll see just how "easy" it is.  I did buy and hold 2 more BTC this weekend since the price was significantly under $1000 and it's probably my last opportunity to do so.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:37:40 AM

LOL What announcement? Why would a sane person join this idiotic sell off caused by misinterpretation, and gox lag?

DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:42:38 AM

i did sell. started selling at 1000 and ended when it crashed.  Undecided

This spot for rent.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:36:57 PM

Most speculators lose money.

Thing is you're not getting the point.

The ones speculating are the ones who didn't sell while it was going down. Why? because you were speculating that the price will go up again. <-- this is speculating by itself.

Selling after the announcement was a safer strategy. 

congrats on "winning" by redefining words to mean what you want them to. stand up job. I'm sure everyone who reads this thread will be teh smrtr for it.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:38:47 PM

quick poll. hands up those people who lost BTC recently by holding?

...@....

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:40:51 PM

looks like those who sold and tried to "time" the bottom lost coins or gained fractions, all that time and stress for nothing lol

600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 12:45:23 PM

you seem to be smart. so please tell me:

is this a bull trap right now, should i sell now to buy back later and cheaper ?

or is the btc going back to da moon for sure and i am missing the train if i don´t buy back now ?

facts are known now: chinese news wasn´t actually that bad at all, more of a market panic. or did a lot of buyers lost faith now and this is just a dead cat bounce back ?

op, let´s say you got 100 k on stake, what do you tell me to do. of course i will sue you if it doesn´t come out the way you advise me. (just to get you to a really serious advise.)

if you have balls, please tell me.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:09:36 PM

Hindsight is always 20/20, some people just take it to extreme.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:12:18 PM

looks like those who sold and tried to "time" the bottom lost coins or gained fractions, all that time and stress for nothing lol

That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? I sold a decent portion of my btc holding at ~950-1000, re-bought at ~700-750. Sure, I didn't sleep as good as usual during the weekend, and was somewhat distracted most of the time, but I made an approximately 30% coin profit. Was it worth it? Sure.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1414

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:19:02 PM

That's a bit presumptuous, isn't it? I sold a decent portion of my btc holding at ~950-1000, re-bought at ~700-750. Sure, I didn't sleep as good as usual during the weekend, and was somewhat distracted most of the time, but I made an approximately 30% coin profit. Was it worth it? Sure.

30% from decent portion = 3% of all your coins ?
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:21:29 PM

About 10% total. Maybe we have different definitions of "worth it"?

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:25:00 PM

About 10% total. Maybe we have different definitions of "worth it"?

And what % is increase in coins since begin of year ?
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:34:31 PM

You mean in USD terms?

If that's what you have in mind: my trading gains are obviously much smaller than the pure appreciation gains, but if you have some internal btc goal in mind and invested already all or most of the fiat you want to, any further progress towards that goal has to come from active trading.

Odalv
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:38:45 PM

You mean in USD terms?

If that's what you have in mind: my trading gains are obviously much smaller than the pure appreciation gains, but if you have some internal btc goal in mind and invested already all or most of the fiat you want to, any further progress towards that goal has to come from active trading.

I was asking if you increased your bitcoin stash by trading.
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 01:41:31 PM

For those who had Bitcoins right before the Chinese Government's announcement this week and didn't sell them right after the announcement, why didn't you? I'm just curious.

Now I can think of 4 possibilities:

1- You thought the price will go back up and so got hold of your Bitcoins --> Very bad decision
2- You couldn't sell them due to the lack of buyers --> Plausible but unlikely
3- You are emotionally attached to your Bitcoins so you don't want to lose them no matter what --> You need a psychologist
4- When you found out about it, it was already too late --> I forgive you

5- I did not know how this announcement will effect the price. I tell you, what I did:

1. Suddenly I saw a red boner on the btc-e chart. I wanted to know what happend, but there was no good news. Then finally something clearer, but I didn't know. Did China ban Bitcoin? Will they ban it? Who can use it? Was it just a recommodation by the central bank?
2. So I sold my Bitcoin for dollars and then had to watch the price rise again. Very good. Panic over. Bought back btc and had less btc.
3. So the day afterwards you can look at the chart. The price went down and up. I made the same wrong decision again and was left with less btc again.
4. After losing 300€ I stopped trading.
5. I did not sell at 600€, not at 500€, not at 400€, not at 500€, not at 600€ and now it is back at 650€.  

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
oda.krell
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:17:00 PM

You mean in USD terms?

I was asking if you increased your bitcoin stash by trading.

I only recently finished my 'buy in'  period. Since then, my trades were btc profitable, despite taking place in the bull market. Ironically, my trades earlier this year, during the April aftermath, were btc neutral, but I was completely new to trading then and still had to learn even the most basic methods (not that I'm very experienced now. But I feel confident trading the larger swings at least)

JayB (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 02:49:19 PM

quick poll. hands up those people who lost BTC recently by holding?

...@....

SO you're telling me if you hold your Bitcoins you never lose. Maybe true, but I never said this wasn't true.

This would've also been true if you bought the S&P 500 stocks in 1950 and held it till today (you would've actually made many times your money back). Does that mean this is the best strategy you could've made? Does that mean you made the most returns in the world?

I'm just saying you can gain EVEN MORE by just using your common sense to take advantage of volatility (opportunities).

I'm sorry you are so dumb you can't even give good arguments. I'm not answering your crap anymore.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: