Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:15:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is cryptsy.com scamming us out of our hard earned coins?
Yes, I will never use them again - 65 (30.4%)
NO!, I still believe in cryptsy.com - 66 (30.8%)
Please cryptsy.com dont let us down Sad - 83 (38.8%)
Total Voters: 214

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (Warning) Whats going on with cryptsy.com every one is losing there coins  (Read 14323 times)
everthelast

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:19:41 AM

it's time 4 law

.oO lock money from customers without paying back losses/investments

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 09:17:09 AM

I've got thousands of coins sitting in Cryptsy and there doesn't appear to be a problem
raskul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 09:23:14 AM

never had a problem with crytpsy.
when I started with them, I didn't realise that you needed to send an activation link to your email to withdraw coins, it's all in the faq.
the original email went to my junk folder, and I missed it.. 2 days later, wondering where my coins were... i realised. doh.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 05:07:04 AM

Is it possible that these 42coins were counterfeit ?

After noticing that my deposit had arrived ... 

Date: 21/01/2014 15:13
To: cryptsy 4JF3YMUj8yxMZUayN1ohfN4nvCuGMRSQjn
Debit: -0.00218592 42
Transaction fee: -0.00000001 42
Net amount: -0.00218593 42
Transaction ID: e76f68b1984f2a732cdadcc5dd2acb1a8d4c42736b6f3bd390daa03599835ea6

I stepped out for a smoke, then came back to this. Shocked  ... I mean Cheesy Grin Tongue  (edit) Seconds before, the deposit's balance was showing as available on the order page.

Then this on the order page ... Roll Eyes

If I'm seeing a surplus, no doubt others are missing coins.

Tread lightly folks...

UPDATE

The 0.00655776 42 is still there.

UPDATE II

The website is down.

LittleD (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:40:13 PM

I truly have to say Thank you cryptsy for taking care of all the problem and for keeping us updated.
Thanks Wink

Fallow me on Twitter  ~ Please donate for a cup of Coffee 1KtqBcK7dVPjFugCcCM7G2MGzTZaQH1FTQ Smiley
https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=11253 ~ StayFocus!
U1TRA_L0RD

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

CAUTION: Angry Man with Attitude.

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:35:02 AM

I truly have to say Thank you cryptsy for taking care of all the problem and for keeping us updated!
Thanks Wink and I love the D.

You see, They are very nice people, Better than any other exchanges. Thanks Cryptsy. Smiley
Faince1985

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 25, 2014, 05:57:16 AM

I had an issue with a transaction not crediting when it should. I contacted them and they added it into my balance. looks like they have some issues with the new software but I don't think they are purposely stealing the coins.

sharted

Activity: 210
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 27, 2014, 11:51:01 PM

They are running a website that is clearly not capable of the workload being sent its way. NO other exchange has problems like this, EVER. Vircurex, coins-e,bter,coinedup,coinex are the ones I use now and deposits/withdraws takes minutes not hours or days.

dogeshibe

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 01:39:58 AM

Just thought I should the community know that Cryptsy has definitely still got a bug with double withdrawls. I withdrew about 30k of Dogecoin, checked my balance and I still had that amount, which was weird. I thought it hadn't gone through so sent another request. I checked my wallet and I had 30k of extra Doge. I sent it back of course, but I can't get over the fact that this can happen, esp. without any checks on who they're allowing on their system. Unbelievable.
sharted

View Profile
January 29, 2014, 01:28:32 PM

Here's an idea: DON'T USE IT.

There are plenty of other exchanges around that have the exact same coins as Cryptsy and they never have any problems. So why not use them?

LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 05:43:35 AM

There are plenty of other exchanges around that have the exact same coins as Cryptsy and they never have any problems. So why not use them?

can you please name a couple for us Huh

Fallow me on Twitter  ~ Please donate for a cup of Coffee 1KtqBcK7dVPjFugCcCM7G2MGzTZaQH1FTQ Smiley
matrixdog

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:06:53 PM

I had problems with them but is got fixed but it toke 2 weeks for a reply. Am still using them we need to all understand no one is perfect and sometime software or hardware can be buggy. people should not jump the gun and start flaming them and put them down its hard work what they do. Plus they cant reply to everyone in one shot.

Anyhow Cryptsy keep up the good work.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 08:25:37 PM

I met Big Vern and his partner at the Vegas conference and asked them some tough questions about their business.  While I can only take the answers they chose to give (for obvious security and business privacy reasons) as face value, it is clearly a legitimate business run by thoughtful and intelligent individuals.   My only concern with Cryptsy.com would be their legal compliance.  As I understand Federal and State Money Transmission regulation they would seem to me ( I am not a lawyer or any type of legal expert - this is only my personal opinion) to be operating as a Money Transmitter without a license.  

So while your coins may be save from a business and a technological standpoint (depending on their security model) the greater concern would be shut down by law enforcement and civil asset forfeiture of any coins on the cryptsy.com server at the time of any seizure.

EDIT: as we have seen from the SHREM indictment (http://www.scribd.com/doc/202555785/United-States-vs-Charles-Shrem-and-Robert-M-Faiella) the US GOV has been making undercover buys from the SR since 2012.  If, in their ongoing investigation, they determine that any coins from SR made their way into or out of Cryptsy.com in an effort to launder or move funds from any illicit activity, there are civil asset forfeitures regulations in place that could have an impact on all funds held on cryptsy.com's servers.

I think it would be tough to fully trust any on-line virtual currency business right now unless they clearly state their compliance with laws and regulations in any jurisdictions in which they operate.  As we have seen in the past, virtual currency business are clearly the current focus of law enforcement's efforts and I don't think we've seen that last of the their efforts to make an example of individuals and business that are not operating with in the existing laws and regulations.  

The only question that remains is "Who is next?"
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:03:15 AM

I met Big Vern and his partner at the Vegas conference and asked them some tough questions about their business.  While I can only take the answers they chose to give (for obvious security and business privacy reasons) as face value, it is clearly a legitimate business run by thoughtful and intelligent individuals.   My only concern with Cryptsy.com would be their legal compliance.  As I understand Federal and State Money Transmission regulation they would seem to me ( I am not a lawyer or any type of legal expert - this is only my personal opinion) to be operating as a Money Transmitter without a license.  

So while your coins may be save from a business and a technological standpoint (depending on their security model) the greater concern would be shut down by law enforcement and civil asset forfeiture of any coins on the cryptsy.com server at the time of any seizure.

EDIT: as we have seen from the SHREM indictment (http://www.scribd.com/doc/202555785/United-States-vs-Charles-Shrem-and-Robert-M-Faiella) the US GOV has been making undercover buys from the SR since 2012.  If, in their ongoing investigation, they determine that any coins from SR made their way into or out of Cryptsy.com in an effort to launder or move funds from any illicit activity, there are civil asset forfeitures regulations in place that could have an impact on all funds held on cryptsy.com's servers.

I think it would be tough to fully trust any on-line virtual currency business right now unless they clearly state their compliance with laws and regulations in any jurisdictions in which they operate.  As we have seen in the past, virtual currency business are clearly the current focus of law enforcement's efforts and I don't think we've seen that last of the their efforts to make an example of individuals and business that are not operating with in the existing laws and regulations.  

Please read good info

LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 03:11:36 AM

I just PM  bigvern and mullick to see if they can answer some of the legal questions Huh i asked them to post on this thread.

bigvern

Activity: 100

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 04:01:42 AM

There are several things going on here it seems.   I'll see how many I can address.

1. Federal Money Transmitter License - There is actually no such thing at a federal level.   The only thing the Fed's require is that you register and file SAR reports when deemed necessary.   They also want us to check to ensure we aren't doing business with anybody on the OFAC list.    We are registered and the list checking and reporting is fairly easy to do, but detecting suspicious activity is a very subjective thing.   It's certainly easier to determine suspicious activity when dealing with USD.   Before launching USD, we will have the necessary items in place.

2. State Level Licenses - The states aren't going to come and shut you down, but they may fine you and tell you not to deal with people in their state until you get licensed there.   We are in the process of getting state licenses.   Some are harder than others.   This is another thing we are waiting on before doing USD.    Many of the states who we previously thought would require a license have stated that we probably do not need one.  Many states have laws which were written before the internet.  Some state requirements are a little overboard.

3. SR stuff.  Just because some coins passed through a service that ended up at SR doesn't mean that it would be covered under any laws which would result in forfeitures.  Only if we were willfully and knowingly performing such actions, which we are not.    We may be subpoenaed for information in such cases where funds pass through here, which of course we would comply with.

BigVern

LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 04:11:32 AM

There are several things going on here it seems.   I'll see how many I can address.

1. Federal Money Transmitter License - There is actually no such thing at a federal level.   The only thing the Fed's require is that you register and file SAR reports when deemed necessary.   They also want us to check to ensure we aren't doing business with anybody on the OFAC list.    We are registered and the list checking and reporting is fairly easy to do, but detecting suspicious activity is a very subjective thing.   It's certainly easier to determine suspicious activity when dealing with USD.   Before launching USD, we will have the necessary items in place.

2. State Level Licenses - The states aren't going to come and shut you down, but they may fine you and tell you not to deal with people in their state until you get licensed there.   We are in the process of getting state licenses.   Some are harder than others.   This is another thing we are waiting on before doing USD.    Many of the states who we previously thought would require a license have stated that we probably do not need one.  Many states have laws which were written before the internet.  Some state requirements are a little overboard.

3. SR stuff.  Just because some coins passed through a service that ended up at SR doesn't mean that it would be covered under any laws which would result in forfeitures.  Only if we were willfully and knowingly performing such actions, which we are not.    We may be subpoenaed for information in such cases where funds pass through here, which of course we would comply with.

BigVern

Thank you BigVern ~

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 03:02:28 PM

There are several things going on here it seems.   I'll see how many I can address.

1. Federal Money Transmitter License - There is actually no such thing at a federal level.   The only thing the Fed's require is that you register and file SAR reports when deemed necessary.   They also want us to check to ensure we aren't doing business with anybody on the OFAC list.    We are registered and the list checking and reporting is fairly easy to do, but detecting suspicious activity is a very subjective thing.   It's certainly easier to determine suspicious activity when dealing with USD.   Before launching USD, we will have the necessary items in place.

2. State Level Licenses - The states aren't going to come and shut you down, but they may fine you and tell you not to deal with people in their state until you get licensed there.   We are in the process of getting state licenses.   Some are harder than others.   This is another thing we are waiting on before doing USD.    Many of the states who we previously thought would require a license have stated that we probably do not need one.  Many states have laws which were written before the internet.  Some state requirements are a little overboard.

3. SR stuff.  Just because some coins passed through a service that ended up at SR doesn't mean that it would be covered under any laws which would result in forfeitures.  Only if we were willfully and knowingly performing such actions, which we are not.    We may be subpoenaed for information in such cases where funds pass through here, which of course we would comply with.

BigVern

I tend to agree with 1 & 2 for the most part. They would likely get a cease and desist order first before action was taken. Number 3 I disagree with your reply completely. Due to the nature of asset civil asset forfeiture laws there literally is no requirement for any kind of evidence whatsoever for them to do this. They generally limit this kind of activity only when it is politically inconvenient. Right now there are a lot of political reasons to attack Bitcoin and related altcoin infrastructure, and Silk Road is a perfect pretext to justify this to the casually attentive masses. Civil asset forfeiture laws are designed to enable law enforcement to rob people and organizations of assets with zero evidence. Want proof? How do you think the FBI is getting away with selling the confiscated Silk Road BTC before the trial even begins? Civil asset forfeiture laws.
sharted

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:24:52 PM

can you please name a couple for us Huh

look at my post two posts above.......

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 08:02:45 PM

There are several things going on here it seems.   I'll see how many I can address.

1. Federal Money Transmitter License - There is actually no such thing at a federal level.   The only thing the Fed's require is that you register and file SAR reports when deemed necessary.   They also want us to check to ensure we aren't doing business with anybody on the OFAC list.    We are registered and the list checking and reporting is fairly easy to do, but detecting suspicious activity is a very subjective thing.   It's certainly easier to determine suspicious activity when dealing with USD.   Before launching USD, we will have the necessary items in place.

2. State Level Licenses - The states aren't going to come and shut you down, but they may fine you and tell you not to deal with people in their state until you get licensed there.   We are in the process of getting state licenses.   Some are harder than others.   This is another thing we are waiting on before doing USD.    Many of the states who we previously thought would require a license have stated that we probably do not need one.  Many states have laws which were written before the internet.  Some state requirements are a little overboard.

3. SR stuff.  Just because some coins passed through a service that ended up at SR doesn't mean that it would be covered under any laws which would result in forfeitures.  Only if we were willfully and knowingly performing such actions, which we are not.    We may be subpoenaed for information in such cases where funds pass through here, which of course we would comply with.

BigVern

BigVern,  Thanks for your thoughts.  There are still some important issues.  Again I am not an attorney, this is just my understanding of existing law and regulation.

1.  On July 21st FinCEN issued a Final Rule on "Definitions and Other Regulations Relating to Money Services Businesses" (RIN 1506–AA97)  that includes the following:

The regulatory definition of ‘‘money transmission services’’ includes the phrase ‘‘or other value that substitutes for currency’’ to state that businesses that accept stored value or currency equivalents as a funding source and transmit that value are providing money transmission services. FinCEN has modified the final rule so that both references to ‘‘value’’ in the regulation are expressed as ‘‘value that substitutes for currency’’ to maintain consistency in the rule’s language.

This essentially included all virtual currencies within the scope of the Bank Secrecy Act.  So according to FinCEN it does not matter if you are not transferring or converting from USD.  Transferring and converting virtual currency is also money transmission under these Federal Regulations.

2. No the states aren't going to shut you down but operating a "unlicensed money transmitter" if a federal offence under U.S.C. 1960 (b)(1)(a):

is operated without an appropriate money transmitting license in a State where such operation is punishable as a misdemeanor or a felony under State law, whether or not the defendant knew that the operation was required to be licensed or that the operation was so punishable;

U.S.C. 1960 (a) states:

Whoever knowingly conducts, controls, manages, supervises, directs, or owns all or part of an unlicensed money transmitting business, shall be fined in accordance with this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

So no the states will not come after you but if you are serving customers in US State where a money transmission laws apply, you could be as risk for violating these statues.

Unfortunately laws don't always mean what we "think" they mean.  They mean what regulators and law enforcement want them to mean unless proven otherwise in a court of law.

3.  I think TechSare addressed the very broad implication of civil asset forfeiture.  

Again, I'm not an attorney nor a legal expert, however we have seen these statues used with tremendous impact in the digital currency space in recent months.  There are serious implications and we as a community of businesses and users need to understand the implications as best we can.

Unfortunately the legal gray area is currently very broad which possesses significant risk for all involved until we see greater legislative and regulatory clarity in the digital currency space.

Again I don't assume to know Cryptsy.com's business model or safe guards to prevent this type of action.  I'm just trying to point out that these are currently risks we are all assuming by operating and transacting in this space.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: