Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:11:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The case of the Russian Scammer.  (Read 8955 times)
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:29:23 PM

I am think that is start of the process that Gavin mentioned as first on the list of early treats to bitcoin - virus makers, early soft, - vulnerable to hacks. He did not mentioned fake offenses, but this is quite obvious.
Bitcoins, in their nature, means extremely high raise in competition level.

As moderator of Russian local (Izsaver) mentioned above, we, Russian community, will track that case closely, and will conduct our own investigation.

If somebody wants some more explanations  "why Russians are so tend to be evil"  i am can give some, - if that will questioned again. You will not like that explanation, but that will not bather me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:31:33 PM

If somebody wants some more explanations  "why Russians are so tend to be evil"  i am can give some, - if that will questioned again. You will not like that explanation, but that will not bather me.

My completely outsider take on this is purely due to economic hardship. You see the same thing in poor neighborhoods, people turn to crime when they need to survive. There may be some cultural aspect to it, but I doubt it's significant compared to that of economics.
Dobrodav

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:06:59 AM

Economics is not always a complete answer on question why some societies answer to hard times in "positive" style, and others tend to react in "negative" way, - that  leads to self destruction.

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 06:08:22 AM

fascinating.

we have a country.

and john adams (Izsaver) stands up for the british who fired at the boston massacre.

truly fascinating.
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 10:42:33 AM

My completely outsider take on this is purely due to economic hardship. You see the same thing in poor neighborhoods, people turn to crime when they need to survive.

I don't think income may change people's probability to become criminals in a significant way. It will at most change the type of crime people commit.
Low income people tend to have low education and thus, when criminals, will practice "stupid crimes", like robbing people on the street or other things that look more violent.
Higher income people tend to have better education and so, when criminals, will go for more elaborate kinds of crime, like these hackers behind DDoS or those who steal credit cards. They don't look that violent, but I think the damage they cause to society may be even worse, and they are much harder to catch.
max in montreal

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 11:39:19 AM

Goran Zvetkovic is not a Russian Name, it is a Croatian Name. The emails might have been .RU, but the name is deffinately of Croatian descent. I know, I am one myself!

It is a name from the former Yugoslavia...
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 05:23:31 PM

You are forgetting that for criminal prosecution the standard of proof is "beyond reasonable doubt" and all the evidence must be collected lawfully, while in civil cases the standard of proof is "on balance of probabilities".

A bold scammer, even if guilty as hell, could theoretically bring up a legal action in court and win, while getting away scoff free. Particularly, given that it might turn out that during collecting the evidence the vigilanties have committed a few offences/felonies themselves.

This is exactly why I made a few posts suggesting to pipe down on vigilantism.

actually vladimir, the expression is "scott free" - not 'scoff free', if you don't mind.

it has an interesting history - especially given this forum and the context of Bitcoin - originally being (from the scandanavian) 'scot' (i.e., tax) free.  imagine that.

US-centric folks will tell you it had something to do with the Dred Scott matter (a series of legal decisions contributory to the US Civil War), but no, it didn't.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/scot%20free.html
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 06:55:07 PM

The tracking methods used to catch the scammer would typically fall under community law where the community decide wether its lawfull or not.

Since this is cyberspace, the crime wasnt within a specific jurisdiction other than related to bitcoin community, there is no country/gov law to enforce here.

Some of the "wrong doings" suggested here with regards to tracking the scammer is just retarded.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 12:11:09 PM

This stereotype doesn't seem fair to me, and sounds like residual prejudice from the Cold War.  Perhaps scammers in Russia, Nigeria, etc. to turn to online crime more than Americans, because for petty American thieves the opportunities to steal offline are probably much better.

But more likely, the crime committed by Americans (against Americans and non-Americans alike) is simply overlooked (due to belief in exceptionalism and all that).  The examples are plenty.

Anyway, yes, I am curious to hear your explanation of this widespread perception.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: