Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:04:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTS] 2011 1 BTC Error Casascius Coin 2.25BTC  (Read 3172 times)
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
January 08, 2014, 10:38:19 PM

Opening the thread back up, as I'm curious to see if the lack of news from Casascius has influenced the market.
I think if you cleaned the coin up and put it on ebay you'd get at least a $700 premium over the face bitcoin value.

Mayhaps, however I'd really rather not clean the coin. It could either increase the value, or decrease it. Most of them have tarnish on them, as no one thought they were going to be super collectable when Casascius first started making them, so a lot of them weren't put in Air Tites like the later coins. The scratch on the back is probably the most damaging to value, however as ones without scratches are going for a 2 BTC + premium, I'd imagine that mine is still pretty valuable.

I can't say I'm really desperate to sell the coin, so if the right offer comes across I'll take it. I think I could just use the Bitcoins in a better way right now, but if it doesn't sell, I might end up holding it for years until its worth some serious coin.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:03:22 AM

Based on the images I can't help but say that it looks like the hologram has been tampered with. Some of the honeycomb is visible.

I'm not implying anything but from my experience with my holograms which also have a honey comb pattern is the only way to have the honeycomb pattern be shown is to have the hologram peeled back in some form or fashion, unless Mike himself put a damaged hologram on to this coin (which I doubt).

Sometimes when peeling back the holograms from the paper they come on some of my holograms (the gold foil ones mostly) end up showing "tampering" when nothing has been done. I haven't found out what causes this but it is a very small percentage of my holograms that does this.

In any case are you the original owner of this coin? Sorry if I missed that bit of information if you already shared it.

Edit: Did this coin fall from an elevated place? Or something else perhaps?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

demonmaestro

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Mining for the hell of it.

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:08:30 AM

You still hoping for BTC2+ coins for it?

Feel Like Donating? bc1q0v5nfdejapffewu67gft7zw7zsmnfmmkt3lf02
Buy/Sell BitCoin & LiteCoin  Click here! | Looking for a great exchange? CoinBase Has you covered.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:01:43 PM

Based on the images I can't help but say that it looks like the hologram has been tampered with. Some of the honeycomb is visible.

I'm not implying anything but from my experience with my holograms which also have a honey comb pattern is the only way to have the honeycomb pattern be shown is to have the hologram peeled back in some form or fashion, unless Mike himself put a damaged hologram on to this coin (which I doubt).

Sometimes when peeling back the holograms from the paper they come on some of my holograms (the gold foil ones mostly) end up showing "tampering" when nothing has been done. I haven't found out what causes this but it is a very small percentage of my holograms that does this.

In any case are you the original owner of this coin? Sorry if I missed that bit of information if you already shared it.

I am not, but the coin is still in tact. I bought the coin before it would have made sense to tamper with them. I am under the impression that one of the previous owners put it in their pocket, as the scratches on the holo look very similar to key marks, or something similar that one might put in their pocket. Thats what my inner detective tells me.

I do still feel that 2BTC would be about the lowest I would take for it. I'm not new to the numismatic field, and I am aware of the price difference between a Mint coin and a Circulated coin. Most of the 2011 Casascius coins are in circulated condition, as they were not originally thought to be collectable, most however without the scratches on the hologram. Given the current market and Casascius situation, 2.5 BTC would be ideal however anything over 2 would get my interest.
htspringer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 04:54:34 PM

I am not, but the coin is still in tact. I bought the coin before it would have made sense to tamper with them. I am under the impression that one of the previous owners put it in their pocket, as the scratches on the holo look very similar to key marks, or something similar that one might put in their pocket. Thats what my inner detective tells me.

I do still feel that 2BTC would be about the lowest I would take for it. I'm not new to the numismatic field, and I am aware of the price difference between a Mint coin and a Circulated coin. Most of the 2011 Casascius coins are in circulated condition, as they were not originally thought to be collectable, most however without the scratches on the hologram. Given the current market and Casascius situation, 2.5 BTC would be ideal however anything over 2 would get my interest.
It would really help if you would post a higher quality photo of the hologram side of the coin.  I don't know how anyone can judge the quality of your coin based on the poor quality photograph you've provided.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:27:49 PM

It would really help if you would post a higher quality photo of the hologram side of the coin.  I don't know how anyone can judge the quality of your coin based on the poor quality photograph you've provided.

I'll give it a shot, I don't have a fancy camera, just a standard 8MP point and shoot digital camera, nor any artistic talent. My point was to exemplify the scratches on the holo which I got, but I'll see about adding another picture.
htspringer

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:34:45 PM

It would really help if you would post a higher quality photo of the hologram side of the coin.  I don't know how anyone can judge the quality of your coin based on the poor quality photograph you've provided.

I'll give it a shot, I don't have a fancy camera, just a standard 8MP point and shoot digital camera, nor any artistic talent. My point was to exemplify the scratches on the holo which I got, but I'll see about adding another picture.
Often photos can exaggerate defects in a coin.  If you could take a photo outside in natural light on a cloudy day it might help. 
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 05:44:03 PM

Often photos can exaggerate defects in a coin.  If you could take a photo outside in natural light on a cloudy day it might help. 

Well thats just it, all I have is natural light in my house, I have multiple sky lights and windows, and a grand total of about 100 Watts worth of lightbulbs throughout the house. Without the right weather my photos turn out even worse. The photo of the hologram I took does indeed exaggerate the defect by the scratches in the hologram. They are far less noticeable in person, however I wanted to make sure anyone who was interested knew exactly what they were getting. I'd rather underpromise and over deliver than over promise and under deliver. I did get another few pictures, however they too aren't that good. I'll upload them as soon as I find my camera's USB cable.
Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2014, 05:54:58 PM

Well thats just it, all I have is natural light in my house, I have multiple sky lights and windows, and a grand total of about 100 Watts worth of lightbulbs throughout the house. Without the right weather my photos turn out even worse. The photo of the hologram I took does indeed exaggerate the defect by the scratches in the hologram. They are far less noticeable in person, however I wanted to make sure anyone who was interested knew exactly what they were getting. I'd rather underpromise and over deliver than over promise and under deliver. I did get another few pictures, however they too aren't that good. I'll upload them as soon as I find my camera's USB cable.

1.1BTC
BigBitz

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:37:26 PM

1.15BTC

Tips BTC --> 1BS2sYvy3T1cpNhie6CVFMcUrHa84a8mPa <-- Thanks! || Tips [LTC] --> LaytYJNCha7z7zcws5a2o2GWWjvWfDCGkr <--
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 11:43:48 PM

Heh, as before thank you for the offers, however I don't think I'd sell it for anything under 2 BTC. If you guys want to keep putting in higher and higher offers, you are welcomed to until you reach a point I like, however I don't know of any senario in which case I'd take less than 2 BTC.

I have no idea where I put my camera USB cable which is slowing things down a bit, however I'll post the additional pictures when I stumble across it. Those ones aren't great either, but they show different angles and such.
Nightowlace

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2014, 12:06:44 AM

1.15BTC

You win 1.1 was my max. Haha
geoffreyqp

Activity: 712

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 03:17:31 AM

i offered 1.15 on the 1st page. that offer still stands and i was first
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2014, 04:10:27 AM

Thanks for the offers, but like I said, I don't think I'd consider anything under 2 BTC for it.

I'm going to set my buy it now price at 2.25 BTC including shipping. I'd also take 2.25 BTC worth of Gold, Silver, or cash in the mail for it, if you don't want to spend your hard earned BTC.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 09:46:27 PM

I'll bump this up today and once more on sunday or maybe monday as I have to go to the post office anyway. If no one is interested, I'll just hold onto it a bit longer.
bitmarket.io
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2014, 11:27:12 PM

where is the error?

htspringer

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 11:43:57 PM

where is the error?

Misspelling of "Casascius" on the hologram.
Does anyone know how many misspelled coins were made?
My impression is about 3,000
That doesn't seem very rare to me.
geoffreyqp

Activity: 712

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 01:35:21 AM

A lot have been redeemed. Especially because btc was such low value back then.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:38:07 AM

About 3,500 1BTC brass coins have the error, I believe. Mintages are all over the place, for example, there are around 7,000 2013 brass 0.5s. Not sure on the count for 2012/2013 brass 1s.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
htspringer

View Profile
January 12, 2014, 02:53:48 AM

About 3,500 1BTC brass coins have the error, I believe. Mintages are all over the place, for example, there are around 7,000 2013 brass 0.5s. Not sure on the count for 2012/2013 brass 1s.
Thanks for the information.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: