Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:29:09 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The whole quark thingy  (Read 2960 times)
Ailure

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:03:05 PM

edit:By community I mean the quark community, not the community at large...they seem to really have a lot of "true believers" - a little concerning on the flip side because it also seems like a fair number of non-technical/non-savvy investors plopped a bunch of money into it.
The same users that causes the price to rise can also cause the price to quickly drop again. Just like BTC in some ways admittedly, but the smaller marketshare of altcoins makes them more vulnerable to drastic swings.

But really, the more I look at it, the more I get a feeling the most fanatic people are ones that wish they were early with BTC but missed the boat and then this coin arrives that really rewards early adopters rather drastically. So they invest into Quark, then hope that more people do the same so that their investment pays off more.  I'm not too bothered if people manage to get profit from this, but I still express concern that it might end badly if people aren't careful. Even if I was interested in buying, I'd rather wait until the coin has temporarily stabilized (like when BTC was hovering around 110 USD for several months) then buy.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:04:58 PM

You know, I'm getting a deja vu from the bitcoin bubbles here.

Everyone who speaks in doubts gets quickly labeled as a hater to a almost zealotish extent, while everyone else tries to hype up the price. Eventually it ends with a pop as large jumps in value tend to be unsustainable, and people who held onto their coins loses a lot of money and there is a lot of told you so from people. It's kinda pisses me off, as naive people get caught in the hype but since they jumped on the train late they wind up losing money. Of course we all knew that BTC eventually recovered each and every time so far.

And to be honest, Quarkcoin value is going to "crash" just like BTC bubbles of the past, it's a bit naive to think that it's current price trend is gonna keep up forever. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. And also a matter if it would keep going like BTC is at the moment, or never really recovers from it's crash.

LOL the thing you are missing is. That there is no bubble, it was just super undervalued. It is still worth no more than most coins and is in fact rather cheap still based on coin minting alone. Let's be honest you didn't mine any did you and you also neglected to buy it from people that were giving it away for months on end.

Just because it was the cheapest coin on the btc market for months does not mean it should have been.

Now, even now it is still cheap. Get a couple of 1000 at least so you won't mind when it breaks through the $1 and beyond.

It is people like this who had put me off buying BTC at $12 if i had just bought a few then i would not be crying everytime it rises now. Just because something was for sale for nothing once does not mean it is worth zero. Apple shares were nothing once, now try and buy a few 1000 of them. Bitcoin was worth nothing once....

People are flooding to crypto and most coins will just rise.  Quark will rise long term because people will want some in they crypto portfolio and there are some way more influential people that like quark that exist on this board.

The biggest threat to alts ....is the new wave of shit coins. They make alts look a laughing stock. Hopefully exchanges will never list them.

You warn people of quark but holding 1000 or 2 of quark is a lOT less risky than holding BTC with a lot larger potential upside.

Not only quantum computing can threaten sha256.

viridisk (OP)

Activity: 70

18cchz74xD2rusZ6dgio73opk6biwzVxKu

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 09:12:58 PM

Some alts will likely be hits and rise in value. But there are so many of them, why quark is special? Except it's flavor of the day (don't get me wrong, I've bought few short-term prospect looks interesting).

But not all alts will make it big. Like thousands of IT companies disappeared for Apple to rise, many alts will go under for one to hit big. But which one? You can't really follow "it's undervalued now it will be big one day because of that" logic.

One thing that puts me off from investing big in any alts is that none of them is really independent. All heavily depend on BTC/fiat ratio.

Regarding buying BTC for 12$, you should buy it now before it hit few thousands Smiley
Ailure

Activity: 68

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 03:19:22 PM

But not all alts will make it big. Like thousands of IT companies disappeared for Apple to rise, many alts will go under for one to hit big. But which one? You can't really follow "it's undervalued now it will be big one day because of that" logic.
Yup. A ton of IT companies in the 80's and 90's were successful, but today are either dead or a shadow of their former self. So the Apple example is not a very good one. :/

Also you don't know for sure if it's a bubble or not until the bubble popped. I won't grudge towards people who profit from a successful altcoin. While jumping on early might be profitable, it's also risky as hell so "Caveat Emptor".
PinkPotatos

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Girls dont crypto?

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:36:40 PM

The one thing Quark has going for it is that the community seems to really be rallying behind it.  Hopefully that is sustainable.

One thing I was wondering about is how the math works for the 247million mined coins + 1% inflation.  The max coins in the code is set to 500,000,000.  Is the inflation based on the halving of the reward and the other parameters, so that it just works out that way?  How was the max coins of 500M determined?

...as skeptical as I am, I do have some QRK because who knows

edit:By community I mean the quark community, not the community at large...they seem to really have a lot of "true believers" - a little concerning on the flip side because it also seems like a fair number of non-technical/non-savvy investors plopped a bunch of money into it.

That is a pretty easy illusion to manufacture. All it takes is multiple sockpuppet accounts. Wink

Accepted by, more merchants! - Franko 弗兰克币 - 自由的货币
Earn FRK with your sig
cosmoo

Activity: 729
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 04:58:19 PM

What are the chances that Quark will have crippled itself once the reward plummets come january? i can't see it being profitable to mine after 98% of the supply is out, no matter how 'spread' it is

frankly SRC is quark done right and i'm sorry to see all this hype get rerouted into QRK when there's a much fairer alternative for it
shtako

Activity: 779
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:03:06 PM

I feel sorry for everyone buying into quark now. It will crash.  Smiley
this1dude

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:09:19 PM

Can I get a few votes on this POLL you guys?  I'm almost done... not quite there yet though Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=365734

Best PPLNS pools for Worldcoin & Earthcoin: https://wdc.bettercoin.org  & https://eac.bettercoin.org

LTC: LSitcdX2t8DzeHsaFKceUouSMonx1aJRE7

"Greetings computer, I'm here to fix your user problem!" --
hayek

Activity: 370
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:10:32 PM

THERE IS MORE TO FAIR DISTRIBUTION THAN MINING. Do some homework then come back to discuss. You are crying because you did not mine and worse still you did not by at 37 lol. Stop spreading misinformation and buy some before you cry harder.

Care to explain?

I am genuinely interested in quarkcoin, but first I wanna understand the concept before I buy in on the hype.

I don't want to answer for him but this is my understanding.

Bitch #1
Hur dur people premined all the quarks.

Retort:
Quark was set up to mine the majority of the coins in the first 6 months. A small number of people were on that bus because... who gives a fuck about a new coin? This makes it no less fair that someone missed out. You had the same opportunities to join as anyone else. You are responsible for your interests and the repercussions of your actions. Blame is indivisible and fuck you if you think someone else is responsible for your misfortune.

Bitch #2
::mouth breathing:: A small number of people are getting rich

Retort:
Maybe, likely false. If all those original miners held their coins there would be nothing to trade. Supply & Demand. After 6 months 95% of the coins are mined. Demand has to go up for them to have any value. If a large holder starts to dump quarks then the price will plummet. Either big holders have to hold a really long time, sell in small batches, or it becomes a prisoner's dilemma of who can cash out first and then the quarks are just distributed more.

Bitch #3
No one will mine it after the majority of coins are minted.

Retort:
That's unlikely. I can't speak to the resilience of quark against 51% attacks but I don't think Quark needs even a small fraction of the bitcoin network power to stay afloat.

Keiser made a good pick with Quark. In the sense that it is unique. If you notice Max picks are like such:

Long game: Bitcoin
Mid Game: Litecoin
Short game: Quark
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: