Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:34:16 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone doing cryptocoins should be using Linux as OS  (Read 5277 times)
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 09:38:06 PM

I still know people who are using XP and they still love it!

I using XP, it is best Windows ever, especially on low end computers.

Have you heard of the windows pattern? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Windows%20Pattern Grin

I must agree with this pattern, Windows 8 sucks as well

Yep. Cant wait till windows 9. Hopefully they keep up this pattern!

ElectricCake

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:38:41 PM

Would running on linux actually help with your hashrate? Like for Nvidia would it increase it a tiny bit?
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 09:39:57 PM

Would running on linux actually help with your hashrate? Like for Nvidia would it increase it a tiny bit?

I would guess so, since linux is a lighter OS and doesnt have crap running in the background.

Genesis

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:45:09 PM

That's very interesting, it seems that linux seems to be the preferred OS for more developed computing uses.

An OS that uses linux is Ubuntu, and Ubuntu also seems to have the advantage of encrypting disk space to make things safer.

And honestly the whole intention behind the OS seems to be based off an intention of compassion and virtue and sharing,

just looking up the definition of the word ubuntu may show that.
ElectricCake

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:51:03 PM

I would guess so, since linux is a lighter OS and doesnt have crap running in the background.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim though?
mudkips

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:56:57 PM

I agree, linux has always been generally considered better for things involving a lot of computing power, it's just less user friendly so even though users would be better off using it they're not willing to make the switch from what they're used to.
caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 10:44:16 PM

Standard fresh install of XP Pro is ~2GB

Fresh install of a xfce can be within 500 MB

But if you need evidence then you obviously haven't used linux / unix that much to actually know.

A live cd of xbuntu is 600 MB, that is the full os being able to run, yes packages are in a compressed environment, but you can't stick a full install of XP on a cd and expect it to run.

If you truly want to learn about linux, go back to the early days. I remember sitting at my desk having to recompile my kernel because I needed to add a driver for something, and a gui, you had to install that yourself.

That's very interesting, it seems that linux seems to be the preferred OS for more developed computing uses.

An OS that uses linux is Ubuntu, and Ubuntu also seems to have the advantage of encrypting disk space to make things safer.

And honestly the whole intention behind the OS seems to be based off an intention of compassion and virtue and sharing,

Ubuntu is a flavor of Debian. All they did was take Debian and spice it up and make it look pretty.

Now if you want to stick to roots and go with something nice, but not a flavor of another distro, go with Fedora Core. Fedora started as Red Hat, then Red Hat became the enterprise distro and Fedora Core became the public distro.

Have you heard of the windows pattern? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Windows%20Pattern Grin

That pattern has held true to the Windows 3 days, god I miss my Windows 3.1 machine, I must be getting old.

Me personally, I love Red Hat / Fedora Core but people who are releasing programs are sticking to debian distros. Yes you can repackage the .deb's to .rpm's but sometimes it is easier to just go with the flow.
MargaretsDream

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 10:50:48 PM

A live cd of xbuntu is 600 MB, that is the full os being able to run, yes packages are in a compressed environment, but you can't stick a full install of XP on a cd and expect it to run.

In fact I have XP instalation CD and it works fine even without running updates.
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 10:55:40 PM

Standard fresh install of XP Pro is ~2GB

Fresh install of a xfce can be within 500 MB

But if you need evidence then you obviously haven't used linux / unix that much to actually know.

If you truly want to learn about linux, go back to the early days. I remember sitting at my desk having to recompile my kernel because I needed to add a driver for something, and a gui, you had to install that yourself.

Ubuntu is a flavor of Debian. All they did was take Debian and spice it up and make it look pretty.

Now if you want to stick to roots and go with something nice, but not a flavor of another distro, go with Fedora Core. Fedora started as Red Hat, then Red Hat became the enterprise distro and Fedora Core became the public distro.

That pattern has held true to the Windows 3 days, god I miss my Windows 3.1 machine, I must be getting old.

Me personally, I love Red Hat / Fedora Core but people who are releasing programs are sticking to debian distros. Yes you can repackage the .deb's to .rpm's but sometimes it is easier to just go with the flow.

I have no hard proof, but my computer performs WAYYY faster on ubuntu than windows, and overheats less.

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:00:49 PM

In fact I have XP instalation CD and it works fine even without running updates.

That is an installation cd, can you put that disk in your computer and play on xp before you install it?

My statement stands, please read it again if you didn't understand it fully, but I will help out. You cannot have a live cd of xp under 2GB, I am not talking about XP PE either, that isn't the full os.
MargaretsDream

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:03:50 PM

That is an installation cd, can you put that disk in your computer and play on xp before you install it?

My statement stands, please read it again if you didn't understand it fully, but I will help out. You cannot have a live cd of xp under 2GB, I am not talking about XP PE either, that isn't the full os.

Your righ, but how is the live cd of xbuntu secure without patches when you connect to the internet ?
ElectricCake

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:05:15 PM

I tried ubuntu before, and it was too complicated to get anything other than steam and the other normal apps to run on it for me. I like windows because its a middle of the road OS, half user friendly, half technical if you want to edit things.
caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:15:53 PM

Your righ, but how is the live cd of xbuntu secure without patches when you connect to the internet ?

ubuntu is more secure on that live cd then your fresh install of xp any day.

You want a secure out of the box solution, let me introduce you to: Lightweight Portable Security http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

I do this for a living, I build linux, apple, and microsoft servers.

I had to build a secure network in Iraq with limited resources when we deployed. We couldn't connect to the satellite without the secure network so I went with linux to get us started then migrated to Windows server for compatibility.
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 11:52:06 PM

I tried ubuntu before, and it was too complicated to get anything other than steam and the other normal apps to run on it for me. I like windows because its a middle of the road OS, half user friendly, half technical if you want to edit things.

I felt exactly like you, but after a week I got everything running!

geraFoerra

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 11:59:26 PM

But what about the games ?  Gamers still need Windows Tongue
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:41:46 AM

I stopped playing video games (I have a xbox but dont use it). If you have a extremely powerful computer then you can use WINE to open windows app.

jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 12:42:38 AM

I stopped playing video games (I have a xbox but dont use it). If you have a extremely powerful computer then you can use WINE to open windows app.

Good luck running iTunes
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:43:27 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Hah, iTunes. Thats funny. I have Spotify Premium.

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:43:59 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Die hard linux users won't touch itunes, they are android for life users.

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 12:45:15 AM

Good luck running iTunes

Die hard linux users won't touch itunes, they are android for life users.

I was using android, but recently got an iphone. I have a spare (old) mac that I never use.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: