Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:16:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone doing cryptocoins should be using Linux as OS  (Read 5276 times)
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:36:51 AM

Tried to use, but can't really get use to it. Any suggestions? Smiley

What are your most used apps? I struggled with it for a week and then finally got settled in. There is a stack overflow section for ubuntu so if you have any questions you can ask there.

Adobe softwares, LoL others I can get alternatives, the most important one is drivers...nvidia nvs won't work. Took me days before I figure out how and I forgot :p

If it is photoshop, gimp is a good alternative, and for nvida

Linus Torvalds: Nvidia, Fuck You! http://youtu.be/iYWzMvlj2RQ

Since I'm a graphic designer, photoshop is a must... Tongue
I like what he said, nvidia is stupid not to make drivers for linux. Wish there are more laptop with AMD gpu in it, mantle XD

You can use wine for photoshop.

isn't only photoshop cs3 or 4 is support?

Huh Wine is an application that runs windows application regardless of what version it is.

...then I'll give it a try later

If you dont want to partition it, you can run a VM to make sure it works first.

caminilegroup

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:37:45 AM

I remember I had an older (2006) hp laptop that had nvidia on it. I installed Fedora Core on it, and luckily nvidia had linux drivers, you had to compile them, but they provided them.

Took me a while to get it to work correctly but I did. I have a computer right now that I would love to put linux on, but it has a nvidia card in it, screw that, 7 it is.
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:39:10 AM

I remember I had an older (2006) hp laptop that had nvidia on it. I installed Fedora Core on it, and luckily nvidia had linux drivers, you had to compile them, but they provided them.

Took me a while to get it to work correctly but I did. I have a computer right now that I would love to put linux on, but it has a nvidia card in it, screw that, 7 it is.

Thats what sucks. Its takes a long time to get used to but once you do linux becomes the best OS out there. Love the fact that ssh is built into terminal (unlike windows).

caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 02:43:53 AM

Thats what sucks. Its takes a long time to get used to but once you do linux becomes the best OS out there. Love the fact that ssh is built into terminal (unlike windows).

Oh I love linux, have ever since I was introduced in the 90's. Unfortunately my job requires windows for domain functions, even though I am I.T. I could get away with running linux on my laptop, I enjoy my job to much to get caught in a suprise audit
raskolnikovx (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 02:33:17 PM

The point is that we should be able to understand that as Windows is needed to run Photoshop and play games, Linux is needed to handle your wallets and other important stuff. So, make a dual boot and access the os you want.

I did that for a long time but now I just cannot boot other thing that my Debian 7.

Regarding the "enter linux complexity" story. We all went through that. We learned to think and understand computer tasks using
the Windows methods so its natural to be a little confused at the begining.

There is a big reward for those that keep trying till they get things working though!

Linux is beautiful, you just need to get there ...
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2013, 06:20:27 PM

The point is that we should be able to understand that as Windows is needed to run Photoshop and play games, Linux is needed to handle your wallets and other important stuff. So, make a dual boot and access the os you want.

I did that for a long time but now I just cannot boot other thing that my Debian 7.

Regarding the "enter linux complexity" story. We all went through that. We learned to think and understand computer tasks using
the Windows methods so its natural to be a little confused at the begining.

There is a big reward for those that keep trying till they get things working though!

Linux is beautiful, you just need to get there ...

I completely agree with you. I have windows 7/windows 8/Ubuntu all on the same computer and a spare Mac.

GhanaGamboy

Activity: 191

Dadice Fixed Rate.

View Profile
December 16, 2013, 06:34:25 PM

Linux alone will not save you. You must know how to set it up properly + how to behave on internet
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 12:11:10 AM

Linux alone will not save you. You must know how to set it up properly + how to behave on internet

Yes, make sure you have 2 factor installed for EVERYTHING and your phone is on you at all times. One bad habbit I used to do (which is highly unsafe) was that I put phone numbers as my google voice so I only have to login to my email which makes it easy to hack. Now I have all phone numbers linked to my google voice account, BUT I put 2 factor on my email and I have 10 spare keys on a peivce of paper just in case my phone runs out of battery.

pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:22:18 AM

Obviously but it's better if most of the hackers don't target your os  Roll Eyes

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 12:23:03 AM

Obviously but it's better if most of the hackers don't target your os  Roll Eyes

Linux users are lucky since windows is an easier target.

PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:28:28 AM

But if the linux becomes ultimate mainstream for all things bitcoin then it will be target #1

Also with all those distros floating around - temptation is high to inject some malware into some smaller distro. Or some essential piece of software on github. No risk of that in a windows/mac.

Also I've recently tried latest xubuntu for one of my miners, and was surprised that it needs 5+ gb space, and could not do networking out of the box. Linux driver support sucks. There's no one to work on the kernel for free.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 12:29:44 AM

But if the linux becomes ultimate mainstream for all things bitcoin then it will be target #1

Also with all those distros floating around - temptation is high to inject some malware into some smaller distro. Or some essential piece of software on github. No risk of that in a windows/mac.

Also I've recently tried latest xubuntu for one of my miners, and was surprised that it needs 5+ gb space, and could not do networking out of the box. Linux driver support sucks. There's no one to work on the kernel for free.

With ubuntu, ALL of the drivers (except for some windows only stuff) work!

PrintMule

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:51:29 AM

Actually no. At work we have one old pc, with onboard Via gpu, which is not supported by linux Xwindow (or what do you call it) so only terminal available for you there.
Another machine - it would get stuck on updates (although in that case it was mint, not xubuntu)

And two days ago - one of my, quite contemporary, mobos with your average realtek ethernet controller would fail to connect straight away after install.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
dogeheredogethere

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:09:47 AM

And you can use a live cd to try linux before installing it. Linux is actually rather smooth as well...I recommend trying mint.
moocoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Do you moo?

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 02:30:33 AM

Someone like my grandmother using linux is probably just as insecure as she is on Windows. 
Nothing but education will save you. 

nahtnam
Legendary

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 05:56:44 AM

Actually no. At work we have one old pc, with onboard Via gpu, which is not supported by linux Xwindow (or what do you call it) so only terminal available for you there.
Another machine - it would get stuck on updates (although in that case it was mint, not xubuntu)

And two days ago - one of my, quite contemporary, mobos with your average realtek ethernet controller would fail to connect straight away after install.

I was talking about my computer. My computer just has on-board intel graphics and it supports it.

raskolnikovx (OP)

Activity: 186

View Profile
December 19, 2013, 10:59:57 AM

I do not share this argumentation.
While it might be true that if Linux becomes the most used OS tomorrow more people will start working on viruses for it, Linux itself is a "I wont do this for you" operating system. I think this is where most Windows users get stuck. Just think on it: on windows you google for an app download it and install it by clicking. On Linux you search for a package (most of the time on you distro packages web), you get it, you go to console, you ask for su permissions to install with a command (apt) and then install it if you have all the packages.

So, it would be fair to say that while on Windows you can get shit installed by browsing the web, on Linux you are going to do some work to get your virus working.

Of course that Linux itself is not enough. If you use dictionary passwords you might be victim of brute force and this is not related to you os.
Regarding the "Viruses included on small distros". This is a myth. Linux code is open and nobody includes new features on a Distro without being sure of intentionallity. This sounds like what Microsoft would tell to its Windows users to keep them afraid and far away from Linux.

PrintMule

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:59:50 AM

I do not share this argumentation.
While it might be true that if Linux becomes the most used OS tomorrow more people will start working on viruses for it, Linux itself is a "I wont do this for you" operating system. I think this is where most Windows users get stuck. Just think on it: on windows you google for an app download it and install it by clicking. On Linux you search for a package (most of the time on you distro packages web), you get it, you go to console, you ask for su permissions to install with a command (apt) and then install it if you have all the packages.

So, it would be fair to say that while on Windows you can get shit installed by browsing the web, on Linux you are going to do some work to get your virus working.

You're right about "I wont do this for you" OS. Even more - "I won't have correct software or driver support for you" - comes to mind. If you click "agree" on every popup (if you even get those) while using internet explorer, then you deserve a virus. Also there's UAC which surves it's purpose.

Linux is good for servers, liveCD's and as a little playthingy OS maybe.

▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 04:11:23 AM

I'm definitely using it.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  I learned how to code because of it and now I make a living that way.
Seppelpeters

Activity: 38

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 07:43:55 AM

Yes, Linux is definately the way to go for security and better control and debugging. Windows may be user friendly, but it is a pain to debug anything on Windows. I have spent wasted hours on a problem that was not really there, just because Windows decided it will not work normally for that day. The coin I am currently mining still has no Linux client, but as soon as one is released I will chnge to Linux.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: