Bitcoin Forum
June 05, 2024, 03:30:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyone doing cryptocoins should be using Linux as OS  (Read 5276 times)
raskolnikovx (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:15:35 AM

I always wondered how Ubuntu can be secure when it doesnt have regular updates, just new major versions
Apparently you haven't run Ubuntu, packages are updated regularly, sometimes several times a week.

You can also do stupid things in Linux. I have seen several users that think they have to sudo any program, don't understand file permissions, and are prime targets for a trojan horse. The word "rootkit" comes from the Unix world, and the super user root.

If you have Bitcoin on your computer, much better advice is to do all your web browsing in a virtual machine, such as virtualbox + whatever OS you like + a non-IE non-chrome web browser, so that even when you get pwnd, the hack can't get out of the sandbox.

without loosing...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=365194

Sorry dude, english is not my native language as you will see!
raskolnikovx (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:18:40 AM

When you check out, there are not a lot of people trusting Windows with valued data. If you have a company and want to handle data you will most likely go with some kind of Unix based server. Banks, for instance, wont use Windows servers to handle customers money and transactions.

I dont know about you, but I would like to go to bed knowing I am using a robust operating system to handle my Bitcoins. Nowadays you can end up having a lot of money on cryptocoins and (even if you got them really cheap) its time to start protecting them the same way you protect your money.

So maybe its time to download Ubuntu or Debian.
If you dont want to change your Windows life get an dedicated computer for Bitcoins, install some Linux flavor on it and use your online wallets and exchanges from there.

Remember that, with Bitcoin, you are your Bank!

I stopped at this point.
The last ATM  I saw from the back had a nice windows logo on it's screen.
Also the people in the bank are using computers running windows.

The largest corporation I saw using only Linux was Jurassic Park Inc.

An ATM running Windows and showing you the OS Logo?
Yeah dude, I would use that OS to take care of my money!
jones31

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:22:12 AM

When you check out, there are not a lot of people trusting Windows with valued data. If you have a company and want to handle data you will most likely go with some kind of Unix based server. Banks, for instance, wont use Windows servers to handle customers money and transactions.

I dont know about you, but I would like to go to bed knowing I am using a robust operating system to handle my Bitcoins. Nowadays you can end up having a lot of money on cryptocoins and (even if you got them really cheap) its time to start protecting them the same way you protect your money.

If you dont want to change your Windows life get an dedicated computer for Bitcoins, install some Linux flavor on it and use your online wallets and exchanges from there.

I stopped at this point.

How about you read the entire post , and be careful at the words?
I loaded more ATM's than I have ever used in my life when I was younger.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:22:15 AM

Even there are security loop holes with linux, it is the same with windows.

I do not see any major difference between these two.

However, linux systems perform well than its windows counterpart.

Security holes in linux can be fixed by anyone who knows it exists, but it cant be in windows. Thats what makes linux superior.

I would call linux superior. The fact that the it is open source can cause it's weakness also.

Vulnerabilities have to be discovered with Windows and OS X, with Linux one just has to look through the source of the latest release and find the vulnerability and exploit it until it is patched.

Each OS has it's place, each has it strengths and weaknesses, not one is superior to the other.

I enjoy Linux, have been using it since the early days of Red Hat before X11 was even part of the main installation. I was a command line junky back then, but I was also wearing the wrong color fedora too. (Geeks will understand)

Now I use Mac OS X and I like it because of it's unix backend, and I have my Windows in VM's for application specific stuff, mainly my Motorola programing software.

I would run either Fedora or Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro if it wasn't for the wife and her damn netflix (Linux guys/gals knows this headache) and our iPhones (iTunes)

Why do most companies use linux instead of windows then???

raskolnikovx (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:25:27 AM

The true is that people tend to use the same computer to store wallets and surf the internet and nowadays there are a lot of viruses waiting for you to click. Trojans, keyloggers, spyware, etc, etc. In a 95% of the cases that shit wont hit you in Linux because thay are simply devoleped to run on Windows. Linux is a bit safer since you have to manually install stuff provinding root data. What makes Linux harder to learn is what also makes it harder to hack. This is a fact and I encourage anyone here to tell his "I was on Linux and got hit by a virus".
caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:26:00 AM

I stopped at this point.

If you use an ATM, you do use it. The only time you will see the Windows logo is during a reboot, or the inevitable crash, but since it runs embedded and it is on a non-volatile non-writable disk image there is no damage, it senses the crash via a watchdog timer and reboots itself.

Windows is in a lot of things you use, as is Java. Your GPS device, guess what, Windows CE. Depending on what car manufacturer you have if you have an integrated GPS, it is either Windows CE or a custom system. If it is Ford with Sync, yeah, you guessed it, Windows CE.

Don't take my word for it, I only work on these thing for a living, and did in the military.

Hell, here's a "I bet you didn't know"

The M1A2SEP Tank the military uses runs Windows CE on it's Commanders Display Unit, it also has a Red Hat partition for the FBCB2.

The FBCB2 (Blue Force Tracker) uses Red Hat.
hunnaryb

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:26:44 AM

I doubt this, any reference ?
Most people believe they get better product when they pay for it

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:28:54 AM

Security holes in linux can be fixed by anyone who knows it exists, but it cant be in windows. Thats what makes linux superior.

I would call linux superior. The fact that the it is open source can cause it's weakness also.

Vulnerabilities have to be discovered with Windows and OS X, with Linux one just has to look through the source of the latest release and find the vulnerability and exploit it until it is patched.

Each OS has it's place, each has it strengths and weaknesses, not one is superior to the other.

I enjoy Linux, have been using it since the early days of Red Hat before X11 was even part of the main installation. I was a command line junky back then, but I was also wearing the wrong color fedora too. (Geeks will understand)

Now I use Mac OS X and I like it because of it's unix backend, and I have my Windows in VM's for application specific stuff, mainly my Motorola programing software.

I would run either Fedora or Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro if it wasn't for the wife and her damn netflix (Linux guys/gals knows this headache) and our iPhones (iTunes)

How many fortune 500 companies can you say run Linux.

Google and Apple we know don't run Windows.

Google runs it's own flavor of Debian, while well, we know what Apple runs.

The largest company in the US, the government runs Windows, that I know, I used to be a sysadmin when I was in the Army from 2001-2012 and the government has the largest contract with Microsoft.
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:44:20 AM

The largest company in the US, the government runs Windows, that I know, I used to be a sysadmin when I was in the Army from 2001-2012 and the government has the largest contract with Microsoft.

Hackers have the same view as we do. Im sure a person could find a keyhole just as easily as a hacker, and fix it. All in all linux is MUCH safer than windows.

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:45:29 AM

Let me update my previous statement.

A quick search does so Fortune 500 companies favoring Linux, in one aspect, servers.

Understandable, even Microsoft had contributed at least 20% into writing code to make Linux server compatible with Microsoft software.

Now, running Linux server is one thing, but what about the thousands of PC's in the companies, Windows, either Professional or Enterprise if still on Vista then Business.

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 01:54:44 AM

Hackers have the same view as we do. Im sure a person could find a keyhole just as easily as a hacker, and fix it. All in all linux is MUCH safer than windows.

There is a saying, the safest and most secure computer is one which is powered off with nothing plugged into it.

The term Hackers, it makes me cringe when people say it as they really don't understand the meaning of a hacker anymore, but that is a different thread, on a different day.

Yes there are White Hats, Black Hats, and Grey Hats. Pick your hat and wear it, maybe you will switch hats one day, but all in all, we are all grey hats at heart.

If you truly think Linux is so much more secure then you should go to your bank and demand they switch all their data servers to Linux or you will switch banks until you find a linux compatible bank. Just kidding, had to bring the original topic back in somehow.

Linux is more stable, but not most secure. Out of the box, fresh install it is not the most secure os available, to make it the most secure you need to make it that way.

Hell a fresh install of windows is horrible when it come to security.

You want a secure out of the box solution, let me introduce you to: Lightweight Portable Security

http://www.spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm
raskolnikovx (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 01:55:40 AM

Guys, the problem are not the servers nor the ATMs. ATMs are not surfing the web and dealing with all the shit out there.
The problem are the computers used to daily access internet and also host coins clients.
This is where Linux is much more safer. Almost all the shit out there is waiting for windows hosts to click and install on.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:08:29 AM

You can also do stupid things in Linux. I have seen several users that think they have to sudo any program, don't understand file permissions, and are prime targets for a trojan horse. The word "rootkit" comes from the Unix world, and the super user root.

This is my major concern with linux. I 'm afraid that my ignorance will make hackers life easier. Is there a super hint to not screw things up with file permissions etc. Like creating a user account that can't screw up much no matter how inexperienced the user is  Tongue

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 02:13:55 AM

This is my major concern with linux. I 'm afraid that my ignorance will make hackers life easier. Is there a super hint to not screw things up with file permissions etc. Like creating a user account that can't screw up much no matter how inexperienced the user is  Tongue

When you install Linux, depending on your distro will handle root it's own way.

Debian flavors handle root with the command sudo. Debian users can also access the root account by "sudo su"

Red Hat / Fedora actually has a root account.

By default a user is just that, a user.

The biggest problem is newbies to linux think they have to su (super user) everything and that is where things get messed up
raskolnikovx (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:19:26 AM

Nowadays breaking things is nos that easy and your ignorance wont help hackers at all.
Even if you dont know much  you are already on a safer OS to browse the web.
Just keep in mind that on Linux you will use a user account with no privileges to do changes
to the system. This is one of the reasons why Linux is safer.

I still remember my first Slackware 7 install.
I got a kernel panic after 2 or 3 boots =(
pand70

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 02:55:43 AM

Ok thanks for your answers everyone. I think i 'll go through the learning curve and try linux sometime soon. I mean with bitcoins close to 1000$ i 'll need as much security as i can get  Tongue

caminilegroup

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 03:02:11 AM

Ok thanks for your answers everyone. I think i 'll go through the learning curve and try linux sometime soon. I mean with bitcoins close to 1000$ i 'll need as much security as i can get  Tongue

If you want to play with a user friendly distro I would suggest ubuntu.

You can download it, put it on a flash drive with the Persistence option so you can save things and boot from it and play around.
pand70

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:06:07 AM

Ok thanks for your answers everyone. I think i 'll go through the learning curve and try linux sometime soon. I mean with bitcoins close to 1000$ i 'll need as much security as i can get  Tongue

If you want to play with a user friendly distro I would suggest ubuntu.

You can download it, put it on a flash drive with the Persistence option so you can save things and boot from it and play around.

Actually i 've done that already but only tried it a few times just to get a feeling but with the "try it without installing" option
I 'm not sure that i noticed a persistence option. I 'll check again.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1078

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:09:54 AM

I think I agree with the OP here.  But talking OSs on the internet is a little like talking politics at a family reunion. 
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 04:49:21 AM

Linux does have one advantage - security from the start. It is very difficult to lock down a windows system and still have off-the-shelf software work correctly. If you make user profiles non-executable, you've successfully broken Chrome and other stupid software.

Linux, however, has compartmentalized user security; even beyond user and group permissions, you can encrypt home directories, so software that is run on one user account has little chance of escaping to or accessing other user file systems or the system. This allows one to simply use different credentials for user tasks like browsing the infectious web vs running secured processes like a web server or financial software.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: