Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:41:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monarch  (Read 2283 times)
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1022

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:08:47 AM

What is your estimate of when they will actually ship? They were always gonna be late, we ALL knew that (apart from maybe some newbies who did literally zero research before they sank a few thousand bucks....)

Question is....how late? A whole year like last time? Or maybe 4-5 months this time? Like if I ordered one now, do you think having one by say....April is out of the question?

Society doesn't scale.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:19:01 AM

I think April 2015 is more realistic. 

I ordered a pair of Jalapenos back in June.  They took 5-6 months to deliver.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:25:02 AM

What is your estimate of when they will actually ship? They were always gonna be late, we ALL knew that (apart from maybe some newbies who did literally zero research before they sank a few thousand bucks....)

Question is....how late? A whole year like last time? Or maybe 4-5 months this time? Like if I ordered one now, do you think having one by say....April is out of the question?

Not taped out. 2 to 3 weeks for that.

15 weeks minimum from tape out was based on their website till they removed the information.

Order today best case scenario?

18 to 20 weeks. Up to 5 months.  April? But can you trust them to make that deadline? Really you are much better off avoiding BFL.

Why bother? So many other units available and shipping before that with PROVEN designs.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:27:28 AM

15 weeks minimum from tape out was based on their website till they removed the information.

18 to 20 weeks. Up to 5 months.  April? But can you trust them to make that deadline? Really you are much better off avoiding BFL.

Why bother? So many other units available and shipping before that with PROVEN designs.

Such as? (Please suggest some, as I want to buy sooner rather than later).

Also...I didn't avoid bfl, back in 65nm days, and despite having to wait for such a long time, I still am glad I did!

Society doesn't scale.
Bicknellski

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:33:14 AM

There are PLENTY better options just look through the threads particularly in the Custom Hardware. Take your pick. 3 to 4 potential that ship well before BFL and some are a lot less per $/GHs.

If you are happy with delays and potential for RMA's can't stop you.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
lumpycustard

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:33:31 AM

While they haven't shared details of the foundry process, they apparently get the chips back in 4 weeks.  So the 15 week minimum thing is old news now.

Even though BFL is known for delays it's quite likely this will also happen to their competitors.  Look at Hashfast for example.
Bicknellski

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:36:35 AM

18 to 20 weeks. Up to 5 months. 
While they haven't shared details of the foundry process, they apparently get the chips back in 4 weeks.  So the 15 week thing is old news now.

No the 15 WEEKS is what the process was from CHIPS being Taped Out. Nothing OLD... they are covering their tracks on that. Read BFL forums it is 1 week here 2 weeks there 1 week here then to Chicago and were not sure on numbers but wafers will be flying out.

Seriously... at what point does the same carbon copy posts about the same process become apparent to people.

Like I said. You can wait and expect RMA issues. Your call. You know the warning signs are there. There are other units available from other companies. It is your call to make.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:36:58 AM

haha wow, now I go on their forums and find this:

Last week, we met with the foundry to go over details of the delay and reach a definitive conclusion. According to the foundry, we should have the first chips on January 9th (still determining specific quantity), but we will be taking delivery of more wafers every week after that, so it really shouldn't affect anything as far as wafer availability goes, regardless of how many come on the 9th.

At that point, chips are shipped to slicing, packaging and bumping, which is estimated to take roughly a week. After that, they are sent to our ASIC design team for testing. This may take up to a week, possibly longer but we believe it will be less than a week for chip bring up. Once the chip(s) are verified working and properly binned, they are sent to our facility in Chicago for mounting on boards and send to several places for more testing and final firmware programming. This should take another week or so. Once that is completed, we will begin shipping product - during this entire time, more wafers will be rolling off the line and going through the same process, so we should have plenty of chips available and ready to go by the time the units are actually ready to be shipped. I don't yet know what that count will be specifically, but it should be a fairly significant portion of the pre-orders. At this point, it looks like the only hold would pose a problem is if the chip didn't work properly for some reason, but we have no reason to believe that is going to be a problem, as the chip is based on our proven 65nm desgin.

As usual, all of these times and dates are estimates only. It may take more time, it may take less time for each step, but that is the timeline we are working under right now, but it is subject to change. Right now, the plan is for everyone that has a current pre-order, you will be upgraded to the water cooled version of the Monarch for free to compensate for the slight delay.

This is gonna take until summer absolute minimum. If I ordered I wouldn't get until this time next year most likely, or 2015 as some of you are saying.

Fuck that!

Society doesn't scale.
spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:39:16 AM

Bicknellski, if you wouldn't mind, could you name some alternatives? KNC have stopped making the products I would buy, the Neptune is too expensive for me. Xtrememiners looks to be a scam.

Society doesn't scale.
Bicknellski

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:45:33 AM

Bicknellski, if you wouldn't mind, could you name some alternatives? KNC have stopped making the products I would buy, the Neptune is too expensive for me. Xtrememiners looks to be a scam.

Black Arrow
BitMine
Cointerra
HashFast
BitFury EU and USA

---

Then there are number of other DIY types

Marto
Aauer1
Burnin
Bobsag3
Drillbit

---

There are number of Chinese fabs as well. Antminer etc... and the latest LTC/BTC chip from "AVALON" could be a very interesting option.

---

Best investment BTC or some Altcoins. You will kick yourself if you don't put something something in coins. Diversity.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 11:50:31 AM

Black arrow looks great. Legit?

Society doesn't scale.
Bicknellski

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 11:57:28 AM

TLDR;

Yes they have a design.

Their chips look pretty solid.

They made FPGA's and have recently run boards for Drillbit and Bobsag3.

Have talked to their EE they seem confident.

Our EE's have reviewed their chip specs and at this point looks pretty promising.

But late February or March.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 12:09:36 PM

TY for your help.

Society doesn't scale.
Bicknellski

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:32:09 PM

TY for your help.

No problem.

I would read more though on BA and do your legwork. I am willing to take a risk and get their chips into our Wasps... but not sure that means everyone should risk it but still a damn sight better than BFL.

Bicknellski

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 12:50:53 PM

"At this point, it looks like the only hold would pose a problem is if the chip didn't work properly for some reason, but we have no reason to believe that is going to be a problem, as the chip is based on our proven 65nm design." - Josh.

Ya cause you won't have a problem with the boards right? Or the heat sinks? Sheesh.

spooderman (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 10, 2013, 04:29:48 PM

I wouldn't quite call them scammers, just grossly unprofessional.

Society doesn't scale.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:33:30 PM

Two weeks. It will always take two weeks...  Wink (plus however long a chinese new year is)

Nah, all kidding aside I can see a few people get the beta/prototype/almost complete version by the end of Feburary. Then the bulk of the orders shipping from March-May. Then the last of the orders done by the end of June.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
xzempt

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 05:44:55 PM

they wont tape out anything.... they are waiting on another manufacturer to sell the 28nm chips.... just gonna buy them and mount on boards.....

thats the only way they will deliver....    im willing to bet  the ponzi is about to collapse.....

xstr8guy

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 08:38:41 PM

I'm pretty sure they taped out some time ago.  I think the last I heard was February delivery.  But you know how that goes!  Wink
joae1975

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 01:53:55 PM

Don't buy from BFL.  They must give a money back guarantee for me to buy.  Buy from KNC.

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: