Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:52:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My MtGox account hacked... Lost $60,000... :'(  (Read 2977 times)
zyxxer

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:51:12 AM

Its also a good idea to store larger amounts of BTC in a paper wallet

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
frogDog

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 09:55:28 AM

I'm sorry for you.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 03:56:07 PM

That sounds very strange. I think you need to get your compensation from MT Gox. You need to get Mt Gox to investigate this as it's a security breach that could cost them customers.

what is a security breach, trading? Smiley

i am satoshi
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 04:29:17 PM

God bless and I'm sorry this happened.  Heck I get worried when I have like $500 on a site associated with BTC.  It's just too crazy out there right now and it seems like everyone wants to make a profit and they don't think about security (I mean the site owners).

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
t3xasdolly

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 13, 2013, 04:32:50 PM

That sounds very strange. I think you need to get your compensation from MT Gox. You need to get Mt Gox to investigate this as it's a security breach that could cost them customers.

what is a security breach, trading? Smiley

MT Gox should not allow deposits when you are not using two factor authorization.
beesa888 (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 12:27:00 AM

lindatess,

Thanks you so much for your suggesting, this has been the most helpful so far, I'm currently gathering all the evidence i have and have spoken to my local state police assitance line who will refer me to the Australian Federal Police.

I will keep the thread updated as events develop.

Thank you for all your kind words so far guys, I really hope I can get something back. Or have these criminals put away for a long time to prevent them hacking anyone elses account.

Yeah, they washed the money on the other side of the bid/ask spread. Effectively, earning the spread each time the transaction was conducted.

This leaves no paper trail, or so they think, if you request the transaction history and check who was on the other side of the transaction, you may have a case. In fact it might help if you know Japanese or are connected to someone involved with mtgox. From what it looks like the hacker was on the other side of the transaction.

Otherwise they were giving away free money to random people <<< Very unlikely.

So, Looks like you might be able with a warrant (Japanese Authorities required) to take a look at the data. Take a look into it.

I'm pretty sure RUB/BTC is not traded often on mtgox, so the hacker definitely knows their bitcoin knowledge. The same I've seen with AUD/BTC, which would guarantee that the hacker actually got the money on the other side of the trade if no one else was trading in that currency pair.

But if I have anything to say, I expect the hacker to be in jail within a few months if you follow my methodology.

As you can see the volume is almost always zero.

https://www.mtgox.com/?Currency=RUB

Go for it, you will get your money back, or in a weak case, send the hacker to jail, as they require real information to withdraw from mtgox!!!!

As you can see on December 9th there was a huge rise in volume as the hacker tried to wash the funds.

My guess it's someone who knows their Finance and Information Security. Luckily I love these two areas myself and understand how the hacker has slipped up. He/She will be in jail soon, don't worry about it, but hurry up and get a police report, get translators to help with mtgox paperwork, and get mtgox to block the wire transfer on the other side, otherwise the other person might flee to the Cayman Islands or some non-extradition country.

I mean, I've seen a lot of dumb hackers throughout my life, but this person who stole your money is probably an idiot.
kknd

Activity: 32
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 12:50:18 AM

and 2 factors login Huh?

60k in BTC and dont use Huh?

LOL
Sephera

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 15, 2013, 03:56:42 AM

Think everyone needs 2FA for all trading account, plus a secure email address with 2FA.

Gmail seems pretty secure with SMS authentication and if you use it from another IP they will need authentication. I wouldn't use local ISP emails for this.
jpharneyllc

Activity: 41

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:10:08 AM

lindatess,

Thanks you so much for your suggesting, this has been the most helpful so far, I'm currently gathering all the evidence i have and have spoken to my local state police assitance line who will refer me to the Australian Federal Police.

I will keep the thread updated as events develop.

Thank you for all your kind words so far guys, I really hope I can get something back. Or have these criminals put away for a long time to prevent them hacking anyone elses account.

Yeah, they washed the money on the other side of the bid/ask spread. Effectively, earning the spread each time the transaction was conducted.

This leaves no paper trail, or so they think, if you request the transaction history and check who was on the other side of the transaction, you may have a case. In fact it might help if you know Japanese or are connected to someone involved with mtgox. From what it looks like the hacker was on the other side of the transaction.

Otherwise they were giving away free money to random people <<< Very unlikely.

So, Looks like you might be able with a warrant (Japanese Authorities required) to take a look at the data. Take a look into it.

I'm pretty sure RUB/BTC is not traded often on mtgox, so the hacker definitely knows their bitcoin knowledge. The same I've seen with AUD/BTC, which would guarantee that the hacker actually got the money on the other side of the trade if no one else was trading in that currency pair.

But if I have anything to say, I expect the hacker to be in jail within a few months if you follow my methodology.

As you can see the volume is almost always zero.

https://www.mtgox.com/?Currency=RUB

Go for it, you will get your money back, or in a weak case, send the hacker to jail, as they require real information to withdraw from mtgox!!!!

As you can see on December 9th there was a huge rise in volume as the hacker tried to wash the funds.

My guess it's someone who knows their Finance and Information Security. Luckily I love these two areas myself and understand how the hacker has slipped up. He/She will be in jail soon, don't worry about it, but hurry up and get a police report, get translators to help with mtgox paperwork, and get mtgox to block the wire transfer on the other side, otherwise the other person might flee to the Cayman Islands or some non-extradition country.

I mean, I've seen a lot of dumb hackers throughout my life, but this person who stole your money is probably an idiot.

This is fascinating, what idiots!! Please keep us posted and all the best of good luck in trying to solve this matter and get those fools caught! I am so sorry you are having to go through this but I hope your diligence pays off!!! All the best
bigmeta1

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:11:34 AM

For big amount of bitcoins I would buy a separate pc, never go online with him and create paper wallets...

Only really secure way...

how do you get bitcoin on a separate pc if you never go online?
Earlyrisernot

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 04:31:17 AM

Horrible thing to have happened!
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: