Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:44:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof Of Stake Coins are killing this community  (Read 5197 times)
nmersulypnem (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:05:26 PM

We are being led way off-field by promoting Proof Of Stake coins in this community.  While I understand there is a efficiency problem with PoW coins, all we are doing by using PoS is to give altcoins a bad name.  They inherently make the rich richer and keep the poor poorer.   I understand the burning desire to reward the early adopters, but we are turning into a bunch of vultures rather than creating a coin that fixes Bitcoin's problems.

1.  PoS creates even higher volatility than what we are seeing in Bitcoin by concentrating wealth and dissuading actual spend.
2.  PoS encourages pump-and-dump, and members are behaving like they've never heard of a pyramid scheme before.  "psst, the more you promote the product, the more we'll give you.  Oh, and the more you buy, the more you can make."  WTF!
3.  PoW doesn't have to be useless computation.  Sunny has proved this with Primecoin (although it's not the *most* useful thing) - I'm keeping an eye out for a better copy of Primecoin.

What do we *REALLY* need?
1.  A coin with a 5sec block time for real-world transactions.
2.  A coin with a rate of inflation that is on par with economic growth.
3.  A coin that support multi-hash signing so that we can embed a distributed exchange in the program.
cryptohunter
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167

MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:07:15 PM

But a lot of pos is like 2% annual? you can make 10% trading daily?

nmersulypnem (OP)

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:12:57 PM

But a lot of pos is like 2% annual? you can make 10% trading daily?

What does this mean?
miztaziggy

Activity: 432
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:20:18 PM

Totally agree with you here.

The main flaw for me is POS encourages hoarding by design.

Also having a vast majority of coins with a few of the wealthiest users creates a high chance of a massive crash if they ever liquidate their stock.

But I do love how these early adopters pretend none of this is an issue, at least until they sell off their coins for BTC.

*Image Removed*
bizz

Activity: 492

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:22:02 PM

We are being led way off-field by promoting Proof Of Stake coins in this community.  While I understand there is a efficiency problem with PoW coins, all we are doing by using PoS is to give altcoins a bad name.  They inherently make the rich richer and keep the poor poorer.   I understand the burning desire to reward the early adopters, but we are turning into a bunch of vultures rather than creating a coin that fixes Bitcoin's problems.

1.  PoS creates even higher volatility than what we are seeing in Bitcoin by concentrating wealth and dissuading actual spend.
2.  PoS encourages pump-and-dump, and members are behaving like they've never heard of a pyramid scheme before.  "psst, the more you promote the product, the more we'll give you.  Oh, and the more you buy, the more you can make."  WTF!
3.  PoW doesn't have to be useless computation.  Sunny has proved this with Primecoin (although it's not the *most* useful thing) - I'm keeping an eye out for a better copy of Primecoin.

3.  A coin that support multi-hash signing so that we can embed a distributed exchange in the program.

Rich ASIC farm owner gets poorer?

Poor CPU owner gets richer?

extro24

Activity: 481
Merit: 252

View Profile
December 10, 2013, 07:25:15 PM

Freicoin?

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 09:58:58 PM

and in POW the rich don't get richer  Roll Eyes
colinistheman

Activity: 873
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:08:03 PM

and in POW the rich don't get richer  Roll Eyes

Not exponentially. They only get richer if the coin value goes up. At least proof of work early adopters don't get more coins for doing nothing.

Unlike this system:

"Peercoin is designed so that it will theoretically experience a steady 1% "decentralized" inflation per year (inflation for each user is proportional to the number of coins they have), yielding an unlimited number of coins. This is a combined result of the proof-of-stake minting process, and scaling of mining difficulty with popularity.[1] Although Peercoin technically has a cap of 2 billion coins, it is only for consistency checking, and the cap is unlikely to be reached for the foreseeable future. If the cap were to be reached, it could easily be raised, hence for all practical purposes Peercoin can be considered to have inflation of 1% per year, with a limitless money supply."
- Referenced Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peercoin

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
qbits

Activity: 219

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:01:17 AM

+1

Spot on. I would add just one thing: needs to be distributed, hence block must be generated with consumer grade equipment. If you allow specialized hardware then distributed network goes out the window.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:07:54 AM

Not exponentially. They only get richer if the coin value goes up. At least proof of work early adopters don't get more coins for doing nothing.

I was refering to the cost of mining equip, kinda think now it takes alot of $$$ to mine btc.
wakasaki808

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:21:07 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 01:07:20 AM by wakasaki808

I was refering to the cost of mining equip, kinda think now it takes alot of $$$ to mine btc.

Don't forget that the people with mining equip will make a LOAD more than people that try to mine from their home laptop, certainly the ones that contain Nvidia graphics for gaming where we get half or less of the hashes compared to someone that had an AMD Graphics card.

Maybe someone should create a coin that favors Nvidia graphics over AMD graphics, if that is even possible.

Also don't forget how early on in any AltCoin's life that follow the LTC/BTC trail how someone with a miner compares to someone without one, either by pool or soloing during the low difficulty phase of a coin.
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:22:13 AM

Orly? Poor will get richer mining Btc? Shouldn't they find $5-6K on a miner, wait two months for delivery and hope not to lose everything because of delays?

Nxt is the only real chance for poor to earn some good money now.

Proof Of Stake Coins are probably killing all those lousy clones.

Total USD Transaction — 38,783,623. Top 5 crypto-coins by market share representing 95% of the Crypto-coin market.
Bitcoin: 69%
Litecoin: 21%
Peercoin: 2.5%
Namecoin: 1.4%
Nxt : 1.2%

Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:29:56 AM

They should make a coin that decays back to the foundation account or miners if not used. This would solve the problem of coins that ended up in limbo accounts (retreivable) and stimulate trading, spending and the economy Smiley
The foundation can then use this money to invest in better utilities and marketing or if miners retreive them it will still make sense to mine.

PM me for a deal on the rights to this new idea Cheesy

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
goa604

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:01:39 AM

Nxt is the only real chance for poor to earn some good money now.
What? Scam coins are a real chance for poor to earn some money?
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:04:36 AM

btw who ever said cryptos were for making the poor rich?
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 01:06:54 AM

lol mining is a total waste of energy, it's fun whle it lasts but face it it's ridiculous
Slingshot

Activity: 616
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:49:44 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 01:12:40 PM by Slingshot

PoS and PoW/PoS Hybird coins are superior to mere PoW coins in various ways. PoW coins have their edge to in other ways.

But neither is ruinous to the poor. Quite the opposite if the poor save even just a bit of them.

As for this Early Adopter comment I can only figure the OP was meaning about the Pure PoS type that has finally arrived on scene (NXT). And yes it's yet another novel approach that remains to be seen if it will be widely adopted. I myself cannot bring myself to add it to nearly 3 dozen types of Crypto I now presently hold and that right there should maybe relieve concerns at least a bit. Only if the price for NXT should drop dramatically do I see any chance of it gaining enough widespread adoption to be able to thrive and only a dramatic price drop would tempt me to even speculate on it at this early stage in the Crypto Game. Yet I could be extremely wrong about that. Still, I can't support it's current price levels, it's simply far too high imo, for that issue, and especially adding in it only has a tiny, sole Exchange with questionable liquidity and also quite possibly market depth issues. There's far too much risk and I am one hell of a risk taker. All those early adopters got a bargain I suppose, as it turns out? But the price isn't even remotely tempting here for myself.

As for the PoW/PoS Hybird coins. Their hands down my favorite coins. Their clearly and vastly superior to the Original (Bitcoin).

The competition for not only the Banksters and Governments has arrived, but also for Bitcoin (PoW Types) as well, and that's the PoW/PoS Hybird coins, and of course the other Types too, such as the Pure PoS type.

Get used to it. It is what it is. And now their is real Monetary Competition to make this all thrive for about 200 countries and 7+ Billion souls. So don't fret, their will be many Crypto Winners, for various reasons.

And don't get to thinking that Banksters or Governments will ever surrender fully to Decentralized Crypto anytime soon.

Instead we're going to force them all to better behave, and they will come to appreciate that, but we're not apt to replace their currencies. Instead co-exist with them, and be yet another safe haven, a store of value, and of course an alternative electronic medium of exchange that will be far superior to the old fashion ways of transmitting funds over long distances. We have our nitches. We are the competition. And Bitcoin plus all the other original PoW types have their own competition on scene now.

Like I mentioned... Get used to it. It is what it is.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!
luckygenough56
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:51:50 PM

why they can't just co-exist ? You people like to separate things and make fake polemics/dramas.
porcupine87

Activity: 546

hm

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:54:22 PM

btw who ever said cryptos were for making the poor rich?

I say this! Many poor can't affort an bank account or do not have the required papers. Inflation puts the people in advantage, which have a high percentage of their wealth in assets but not money. This are the rich.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
GBattaglia

Activity: 735
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 12:59:42 PM

Just a note; there is a reason we don't have 5 second block time coins.  The blockchain system just isn't capable of that kind of speed efficiently.  There would be tons of orphan blocks and similar. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: