Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:42:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watch out for the Buggy IXCOIN client.  (Read 1677 times)
joulesbeef (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:14:47 AM

Yeah it was my fault. At 3am trying to trade off these scamcoins. I accidently pasted in my bitparking BTC addy in the send of the ixcoin client. and sent my coins to a BTC addy. Yeah I should have been paying attention but here is the fucked up thing. Instead of giving me an error "not a valid ixcoin addy"  It translated the BTC addy into a scamcoin addy.

it took 1JDK9BUeTvJE1wDpJ77NDuWct5BYko68Ry as an address and then sent my coins to xprZ2AcQSpF8skTmg15M9D5BjgjirmzLvx. Get that? not only did it accept my typo, but it translated it into a working addy. The fake japanese guy pretty much tells me I am fucked cause I dont own the bitparking wallet.. which is where he claims my coins are.

Here is the thing that pissed me off besides losing coins and getting no help from the ixcoins folks, is what happens if you put a bad addy into the BTC client these people supposedly copied. It wont let you send them. Try it with 0.0000001 coin. It will say "not a BTC addy"

Now paste an IXCOIN addy into the btc client and send 0.00000001. Notice how it gives you an error. NOTICE EVEN MORE HOW IT DOES NOT TRANSLATE AN IXCOIN ADDY INTO A BTC ADDY. who would want it too? who in the hell would want to to try to fix a type by changing 1JDK9BUeTvJE1wDpJ77NDuWct5BYko68Ry into xprZ2AcQSpF8skTmg15M9D5BjgjirmzLvx. The BTC Client does not do this. Try a namecoin addy.. it says bad addy... So this leads me to believe that this is something the brilliant programmers of scamcoin decided to add on their own.

Yeah it was my fault but it is a serious design flaw when you can send your wallet away on a type, and a serious design flaw that seems to have been purposefully designed that way. I dont know who owns that xprZ2AcQSpF8skTmg15M9D5BjgjirmzLvx addy. heck they dont have a way to look right now. FOr all I know it goes to the wallet of the fake japanese guy.

Anyways watch out, dont be foolish like me, verify you addies far above and beyond what you would do in BTC.. cause make a typo and you have no clue what addy it will translate it as or where your coins will go. Thank god BTC doesnt do that.

mooo for rent

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:20:59 AM

omg calm down and contact DoubleC who operates the ixcoin exchange and namecoin exchange. He should be able to help you.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:37:19 AM

This literally happens all the time, and it's no big deal. In fact, there's a guide for recovering from this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32159.0

DoubleC recovers coins sent to him all the time. Just email him the full details (account name, address, amount).

joulesbeef (OP)

moOo

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 07:55:12 AM
Last edit: August 14, 2011, 08:10:48 AM by joulesbeef

This literally happens all the time, and it's no big deal. In fact, there's a guide for recovering from this:

DoubleC recovers coins sent to him all the time. Just email him the full details (account name, address, amount).

thanks for the help

omg calm down and contact DoubleC who operates the ixcoin exchange and namecoin exchange. He should be able to help you.

sorry if I think it is fucked dude. the BTC client DOES NOT DO THIS, not sure how to make that more clear to you. It is still a flaw, that people need to be made aware of, Sorry if you want to keep people in the dark. This also isnt a game, where I got my sword stuck in a door, this is money dude.

mooo for rent
joulesbeef (OP)

moOo

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 08:56:20 AM

Maged, thanks for the help, got the coins back right away from doubleC.

I tried to del this post, as I admit I was a bit more than annoyed, was already in a foul mood when i saw my ixcoin client had sent my coins off into the ether. I wanted to tone it down a bit but I guess it is good it wasnt deleted, as I think it is a huge flaw in ixcoin(and I guess in namecoin as well??? so i heard anyways)

so far the biggest flaws in BTC, have been pebkac;user errors. People not securing their 250k wallet. People not backing up their 3rd-largest-exchange wallet. People assuming one confirmation is enough, and not keeping an eye on your wallet, and not informing people until a week later that it was compromises.

these mainly user flaws are why BTC is at 10 today and not 15 or higher. WE dont need new ways of losing money. WE dont need more amateurs running things. WE need more user friendlyness, we need more professionalism, we need more security.

Ixcoin doesnt solve any of that, and adds another way for pebkac to be a problem, as I foolishly have shown. SO Dont read my post in the angry voice I intended it to be read as, But do take to heart this flaw. This is money and we dont need new and more flaws.

mooo for rent
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 08:59:09 AM

thanks for the help

sorry if I think it is fucked dude. the BTC client DOES NOT DO THIS, not sure how to make that more clear to you. It is still a flaw, that people need to be made aware of, Sorry if you want to keep people in the dark. This also isnt a game, where I got my sword stuck in a door, this is money dude.

If you did not notice I tried to help you by pointing you to DoubleC, you inconsiderate donkey!

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:19:16 AM

...but I guess it is good it wasnt deleted, as I think it is a huge flaw in ixcoin(and I guess in namecoin as well??? so i heard anyways)
I agree with you that it's a bug and I'd really like to see it fixed. Namecoin originally got this flaw because it used bitcoin style addresses originally. Then the client was update for namecoin style addresses and the bitcoin support was kept for backwards compatibility. I think both namecoin and ixcoin should be fixed to only send to the correct addresses.
joulesbeef (OP)

moOo

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:33:01 AM

thanks for the help

If you did not notice I tried to help you by pointing you to DoubleC, you inconsiderate donkey!

No I appreciate it and got my coin back and appreciate the help even if i hadnt. I just think it is something worthy of getting upset about. It isnt a game.

mooo for rent
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 09:35:17 AM

thanks for the help

No I appreciate it and got my coin back and appreciate the help even if i hadnt. I just think it is something worthy of getting upset about. It isnt a game.

Well please show me where I made it sound like a game or implied it was a game. I was only trying to be supportive.

I guess that shows how people doing nice things on these boards can end up in getting slapped in the face.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Nasakioto

Activity: 172
Merit: 283

Thomas Nasakioto

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 10:32:05 AM

It appears your mistake revealed a bug in the current Ixcoin code. Thanks for notifying the forum about this. We'll include a patch for this in the next update.

Thanks for PMing me the amount loss: 38 IXC. I'd be happy to cover the 38 IXC in the hopes you regain faith in Ixcoins. Please PM me an Ixcoin address.

[Note: I am not setting a precedent here. Just a one-off Wink]

Thomas Nasakioto - Upgrade to Ixcoin 0.3.24.3 before block 43,000
Ixcoin.org
Fakeman

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:02:33 PM

You've been posting about this "huge bug" in a few different threads. Yes it's a good thing to be aware of (I encountered the same thing with namecoin) but you will probably never encounter this problem if you just pay attention to what you're doing. At least the coins are retrievable. Safety features are great but few things are truly idiot proof.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:17:14 PM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=26808.0
s/testnet/ixcoin

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 14, 2011, 05:37:43 PM

Are you trying to say that Ixcoin is just a testnet?  Cheesy
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2011, 07:55:38 PM

Use copy / paste - never fails Smiley
xan_The_Dragon

Activity: 322

I AM A DRAGON

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:12:16 PM

bump

MfFMEpgL5Ma9C2yw6iSsSX4QcbSVzjm6iK
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 09:02:36 PM

Why the bump? Is Ixxoin still doing this? The fix didn't happen afterall or something?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: