Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:47:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best eWallet?  (Read 5229 times)
Sh1337 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:28:32 AM

So I got my first few bitcoins! Grin

Today I got 10 bitcoins (from my first bitcoin transaction) 5 of which was used for an unnameable service that gives the bitcoin community a bad name which I do not endorse.

Right now I have 5 BTC in my MtGox eWallet. What's the best eWallet?... or are they really SO unsafe that I should do something better? I plan on saving my 5 BTC for a long time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:35:27 AM

If you have windows just use MtGox ewallet
Else if you are not too savvy, use it also
Else keep your money at home

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Sh1337 (OP)

Activity: 28

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:45:29 AM

If you have windows just use MtGox ewallet
Else if you are not too savvy, use it also
Else keep your money at home

Do you suggest PyWallet? (I know it's not an eWallet)

Thanks for the quick response! Smiley
mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:48:34 AM

Always trust your self over some one else. Having other people hold your money is like giving your money to the bank. These banks attract attention from hackers and are more likely to get robbed. The difference between real banks and your eWallet sites is the fact that real banks are federally insured.

Stick your wallet on a thumb drive or two for simple security.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 04:58:26 AM

Recently, flexcoin caught my attention. But they're more like a savings account I think... Instawallet is really nice, but it always makes me feel unsafe. Strangely, there aren't many other options. Bitcoin would really benefit from a trusted and professional ewallet service.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 05:09:22 AM

Store them yourself in an easy way: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36663.0 No third party risk.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2011, 07:45:58 AM
Last edit: August 15, 2011, 07:57:26 AM by Stephen Gornick

Strangely, there aren't many other options.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Category:EWallets

Bitcoin would really benefit from a trusted and professional ewallet service.

There have been great strides in the past weeks as far as options available for EWallets.

Yet even with a trustworthy provider there are risks.  For instance, only a couple of EWallets support multifactor authentication -- and those are through exchanges.  So if you feel the need to use an ewallet provider, perhaps use a couple or more different ones to lessen the risks.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

python

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:15:25 AM

10 bitcoins
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:44:29 AM
Last edit: August 16, 2011, 09:58:43 PM by Otoh

I expect that they'll be some news on this at the W/E bitcon, we're not there yet & the best is to make your own if you plan on long term as mentioned above:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=36663.0

Bootable USB drive for bitcoin wallet with LinuxCoin & the Bitcoin software is already installed

Any time you import Bitcoins from a private key into the current Satoshi client and spend less than all of them, you should spend the rest to new addresses, or at least back-up the wallet.dat.  
This is because the portion you didn't spend (the change) gets sent to a brand new address that exists only in wallet.dat, and will be lost if you don't keep it safe.

Personally I use Mt.Gox with their Yubikey to hold my BTC atm, my password is on lastpass premium also with a Yubikey & a dedicated gmail address just for password resets/retrievals that has gmail's double authentication with my cell or home phone

Though I imagine it'll be the Silkroad that's realing your other 5 coins in before tooo long...

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 12:53:11 AM

For me it's https://walletbit.com

They even implemented secure cards(just like banks) to approve transactions, instead of using your login password, so, even if somebody gets your password, they have to steal your wallet holding your secure card to get to your bitcoins.

Also, they don't hide. They have an IRC channel open and phone numbers listed on their website.

Oh, and their website is translated in 7 languages Cheesy

But you should only use what you feel confortable with.
nmat

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:01:49 PM

I disliked them from the moment I saw the website. It's a complete ripoff of Flattr
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 01:15:15 PM
Last edit: August 16, 2011, 01:39:46 PM by psy

I disliked them from the moment I saw the website. It's a complete ripoff of Flattr

Imitation is the sincerest form of "flattry"?  Roll Eyes LOL
Spacy

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:05:30 PM

Best wallet: mtgox.com with 2factor authentication!
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:43:58 PM

Well you are right that I took much of my inspiration for the "front page" from flattr. In-fact you are the first one to point that out, good eyes on you. The reason you ask? well I'm not a designed, I am a back-end developer and Business man, and therefore I do my best when it comes to designing my web services. This means I most take my inspiration from somewhere and use this "inspiration" to build amazing unique custom solutions. I did do all the graphic work myself having this "inspiration" in mind.

Hope this will clarify things for you, if not then you can always talk with me by phone, irc, or email if you so like.

Kind regards
Kris
nmat

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 06:54:16 PM

Well you are right that I took much of my inspiration for the "front page" from flattr. In-fact you are the first one to point that out, good eyes on you. The reason you ask? well I'm not a designed, I am a back-end developer and Business man, and therefore I do my best when it comes to designing my web services. This means I most take my inspiration from somewhere and use this "inspiration" to build amazing unique custom solutions. I did do all the graphic work myself having this "inspiration" in mind.

Hope this will clarify things for you, if not then you can always talk with me by phone, irc, or email if you so like.

Kind regards
Kris

Bitcoins and micro payments are often mentioned together. I noticed the similarities because I visited Flattr a few days before.

It's nothing personal. I understand you are not a designer. I am a back-end developer myself and I would have to go though a lot of trouble if I wanted to create a good looking website alone Wink I will take a closer look at walletbit.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 08:23:20 PM

Recently, flexcoin caught my attention. But they're more like a savings account I think... Instawallet is really nice, but it always makes me feel unsafe. Strangely, there aren't many other options. Bitcoin would really benefit from a trusted and professional ewallet service.

Thanks Smiley   It's true that people do use us as a savings account but that isn't how I would describe us.  The fact that you can send to ID's instantly rather than next block wait,  it's free for flexcoin-to-flexcoin transfers,  pays you bitcoins each month based on your balance.. in fact the landrush for flexcoin ID's has been fantastic to say the least...   if people just wanted to use it to save they wouldn't be trying to get easy to remember ID's.

We're going to make some stationary for some restaurants because they are in the process of accepting flexcoins...  honestly I think it's going to change the way bitcoins are traded.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
BitcoinNotify.com

Activity: 58

View Profile
August 16, 2011, 08:28:59 PM

Best eWallet?

While the question is legitimate, I don't think there is any bank-level-security and bank-level-trustworthy eWallet service available right now.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2011, 09:04:42 PM

Best eWallet?

While the question is legitimate, I don't think there is any bank-level-security and bank-level-trustworthy eWallet service available right now.

Well it's true that bitcoin related sites experience a far higher rate of hacking attempts than traditional banks.   I wouldn't say that bank level security is higher...    We have clients that are banks,  they would get compromised in 10 minutes if they were hosting bitcoins rather than dollars.

The nature of bitcoins (fairly hard to trace) makes them a more appealing target for criminals.

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: