Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:20:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I posted a mining video on YouTube  (Read 3296 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 04:10:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FThX1cDg-tg

Shows my mining setup, and explains how to use the pre-loaded mining hard drives I'm selling. (150 BTC, shipped Next Day Air anywhere in USA, or PayPal USD equivalent)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AmpEater

Activity: 232
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 05:23:17 AM

Shows my mining setup, and explains how to use the pre-loaded mining hard drives I'm selling. (150 BTC, shipped Next Day Air anywhere in USA, or PayPal USD equivalent)

This is fantastic.  Loved seeing your setup.  I just paid you for 1 drive....makes me want a few more Smiley
Anonymous

February 22, 2011, 05:29:21 AM

This is crazy in a good way .   Cheesy

casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 05:34:08 AM

This is fantastic.  Loved seeing your setup.  I just paid you for 1 drive....makes me want a few more Smiley

When you get mine, feel free to clone it as many times as you want

HOW TO CLONE

I'll send you a bootable Knoppix CD so you aren't booting from the drive.  Ordinarily you can't clone your boot drive.  If you try, you'll almost certainly end up with a corrupted copy.

Hook 2 hard drives up to your machine, your source and destination drives.  One will be /dev/sda and one will be /dev/sdb.  The target drive must be exactly the same size, or larger than the source drive.

Boot from the Knoppix CD.  Find out which is the drive you want to clone by browsing for files.  Be careful, because if you're wrong, you'll destroy your original, by cloning your blank drive over top of it.  Typically, /dev/sda is going to be the one with the lower port number on your motherboard (e.g. SATA1 vs SATA2 etc).  But be sure by actually looking at the contents.

Open a terminal window, type: su (press enter) then, cp /dev/sda /dev/sdb

This assumes you're copying from sda to sdb, obviously adjust it if that's not right.

It will be eerily silent.  Wait until you get a command prompt again.  It could take up to 1 minute per GB.

You can do multiple drives on the same machine...the more drives you plug in, they'll be /dev/sdc, /dev/sdd... you can open new terminal windows and launch multiple copy jobs at the same time.

Your drive is sda, not the sda1,sda2 you'll see while browsing it.  Do not include the number.  The number is the partition number... by omitting the number, you are copying all partitions.  If you include the number, it won't work.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
AmpEater

Activity: 232

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 05:59:12 AM

Wow your a helpful guy Smiley 

I was thinking about cloning, but to some extent plug-and-play can't be beat. Plus I like to support those financially who support me by making things easy, inventing cool technology, etc

I'm probably going to clone the drive over to a kingston 30GB SSD for a second machine, any reason that wouldn't work?
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 06:10:12 AM

Wow your a helpful guy Smiley  

I was thinking about cloning, but to some extent plug-and-play can't be beat. Plus I like to support those financially who support me by making things easy, inventing cool technology, etc

I'm probably going to clone the drive over to a kingston 30GB SSD for a second machine, any reason that wouldn't work?

Yes, the drive you'll be getting will be larger than 30 GB.  Clone must be to a bigger drive, at least with the method I just described...if you use a utility that can work around it, then you can (but I don't know what to recommend, I never do it).

jav

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 10:36:12 AM

Yes, the drive you'll be getting will be larger than 30 GB.  Clone must be to a bigger drive, at least with the method I just described...if you use a utility that can work around it, then you can (but I don't know what to recommend, I never do it).

One way would be to resize the partition before cloning. I like this live CD for system tasks: http://www.sysresccd.org/ . Boot from SystemRescueCd, start GParted and resize the partition to something small. Then clone the disc the way casascius mentioned above. The cloning will probably throw an error at some point about running out of space, but it doesn't matter as long as the complete partition has been copied.

Hive, a beautiful wallet with an app platform for Mac OS X, Android and Mobile Web. Translators wanted! iOS and OS X devs see BitcoinKit. Tweets @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 1HLRg9C1GsfEVH555hgcjzDeas14jen2Cn.
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 06:59:13 PM

Excellent! It might be helpful to change the title on that YouTube video to something related to Bitcoin mining.  When I first heard of Bitcoin, I searched for videos about it and would have loved to see something like this.
Mahkul

Activity: 434

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 22, 2011, 07:04:25 PM

Excellent! It might be helpful to change the title on that YouTube video to something related to Bitcoin mining.  When I first heard of Bitcoin, I searched for videos about it and would have loved to see something like this.
+1
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2011, 07:10:10 PM

Excellent! It might be helpful to change the title on that YouTube video to something related to Bitcoin mining.  When I first heard of Bitcoin, I searched for videos about it and would have loved to see something like this.
+1

Done, I didn't realize that was the title field.  Thanks

Anonymous

February 23, 2011, 04:53:15 AM

http://bitcoin.witcoin.com/p/218/bitcoin-mining-V-the-matrix

mashup ftw
 Grin
nikonoel

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2011, 08:16:00 PM

After watching this video, I'm not sure you have lots of meals in your kitchen anymore!  Grin
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2011, 08:46:52 PM

After watching this video, I'm not sure you have lots of meals in your kitchen anymore!  Grin

That's the mother-in-law kitchen in the basement.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: