Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:04:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Reason for Today's Crash: China Bans Bitcoin Payment Processors  (Read 10403 times)
lindatess

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 12:15:27 AM

One thing people are discussing on here is the validity of the China news today. It seems likely that it is a false report. Everyone is panicking from the news of one reporter, who is interpreting one source.

Anyway too late to sell I guess, so hold might be better

Yes, but all this bad news is all coming one at a time... It seems like a conspiracy to me.

Who knows what bad news is still to come?

I was going to sell at $900 when the PBOC announcement was made, but then I only managed to sell at $814 earlier today.

btcperth

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:00:18 AM

Chinese banks might get burned, if the only way to purchase bitcoin is cash purchase, then people have to withdraw money from banks to purchase bitcoin, and a mass scale of withdraw will create a bank run  Cheesy

A run could only be caused if a large percent of depositors withdraw their money - but bitcoin users are probably something like 0.1% of people in China?
zendantom

Activity: 195

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:11:21 AM

One thing people are discussing on here is the validity of the China news today. It seems likely that it is a false report. Everyone is panicking from the news of one reporter, who is interpreting one source.

According to this article: http://forexmagnates.com/china-bans-payment-firms-from-working-with-bitcoin-exchanges/

"Upon encountering these rumors on Chinese internet forums the financial newspaper “National Business Daily” contacted the PBOC and the leading third-party payment providers in China, Alipay and Tenpay, and they all confirmed the reports."

And third-party payment providers had big share of money going in and out of China exchanges ? Bank wire transfers seems most used I guess...

Equilux

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:49:09 AM

All bullshit;

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1s61x1/what_the_actual_chinese_notice_not_summary_says/

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 01:58:31 AM

FUD all along then? Okay, but say that's the case, most people are not reading this thread. So, now what?

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:08:43 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2013, 03:32:14 AM by Oldminer

No surprises here.

I suspect the mis-quote was spread by a whale or 2 that has also since sold some of his BTC to push the price down in preparation for their next big buy.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
TheJacob

Activity: 224

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:16:29 AM

If it is as simple as a mistranslation/misquote why is btcchina down more than any other exchange. Presumably the people on their can read the original statement as it was written.
EverettMarm

Activity: 18

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:20:15 AM

According to this article: http://forexmagnates.com/china-bans-payment-firms-from-working-with-bitcoin-exchanges/

"Upon encountering these rumors on Chinese internet forums the financial newspaper “National Business Daily” contacted the PBOC and the leading third-party payment providers in China, Alipay and Tenpay, and they all confirmed the reports."

And third-party payment providers had big share of money going in and out of China exchanges ? Bank wire transfers seems most used I guess...

I don't know. The article (the English one) seems to indicate that people won't be able to make deposits from banks either, and people have until the Spring Festival (sometime in January?) to withdraw their fiat funds. I can't read Chinese, so I can't confirm this myself.

That's an 11 day old post talking about a completely different topic than the news released yesterday.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:26:54 AM

Umm.  That link is11 days old and concerns the FIRST announcement.

Wow.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:28:25 AM

At least people are right about the bs part.  Lots of that handy.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 02:51:54 AM

The crash in btcchina speaks of itself. I don't think that the chinese are mislead about an article in reddit or coindesk or in anywhere else.
I think they know better what's going on and they respond by selling...

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:11:11 AM

Someone's noticed the informational uncertainty between China and the West and is exploiting it to manipulate the market. The gullible people will have their lunch eaten by the more astute observers.
ringsting

Activity: 24

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:37:40 AM

I'm in China and speak Chinese:

• The BTC website is still accepting payments from my bank
  • I called them and they told me that withdrawals are still happening and I can withdraw FIAT.  My guess is that they are cash rich as people putting money in there and withdrawing it overseas.
  • Great arbitrage ops at the moment
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 06:36:55 AM

• I called them and they told me that withdrawals are still happening and I can withdraw FIAT.  My guess is that they are cash rich as people putting money in there and withdrawing it overseas.

Call them again and ask them to make an announcement in the front page and clarify the situtation.

GigaCoin (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 04:41:07 PM

it probably takes a couple of weeks for the law to be implemented.

coin desk did another article today confirming this news further:

http://www.coindesk.com/sources-confirm-chinas-payment-processor-ban-bitcoin-price-falls/

quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2013, 04:49:51 PM

It's my understanding that the China entities have until sometime in January to cut off ties with BTC processors.  So it could either crash now or there could just be downward pressure for a while due to the Chinese selling.  However I bet many Chinese have other ways to buy BTC, unless the gov. blocks all BTC sites, which I have not heard about them trying to do.

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
pbody

Activity: 198

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 07:52:14 PM

Maybe they will find a way through the black market? Chinese probably expected this ban. I'm not seeing a massive price dip yet, given the news and am becoming more skeptical of a crash to the 3 or 500s.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 10:25:41 PM

All news that originates from china must be observed carefully. The most recent news about the regulatory update is sketchy at best. Either way bitcoin does as it has in the past massive drop that builds into a massive rise.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
C. Bergmann

Activity: 803
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 17, 2013, 11:58:35 PM

The worst scenario seems that chinese exchanges can't be fueled with money any more.

Suspect, this will happen - what will chinese  people do with their bitcoins? If they sell them all on chinese exchanges, prices will drop to a very low bottom. Western exchanges wouldn't follow it, no chance for arbitrage. So chinese bitcoiners could sell Bitcoins way under the global value on their exchanges, hold them to wait for better times, or look for opportunities to spend them - either in a chinese blackmarket or outside china.

Interesting times are coming.

▄▄████▄▄
▄████████████▄
▄▄█████▀▀    ▀▀█████▄▄
▄█████▀▀            ▀▀█████▄
▄███▀       ▄████▄       ▀███▄
███      ▄██████████▄      ███
███    ▄██████████████▄    ███
███    ████████████████    ███
███    ▀██████████████▀    ███