Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:21:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No bitcoin in Iran  (Read 8659 times)
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:11:22 AM

One magic word: tor

One magic link: https://www.torproject.org

The Internet treats censure as damage and routes around it. Use it.

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/update-internet-censorship-iran

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N.Z.

Activity: 427
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:29:39 AM

Good practice will be using Tor (with bridges, as public Tor nodes are blocked in Iran as I know).
Wink
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:35:18 PM

Yeah use Tor!
You can download Bitcoin but can't browse bitcointalk.org

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:03:57 PM

The forum blocks Tor exit nodes

At least it was doing this a month ago

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
N.Z.

Activity: 427

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:09:02 PM

Yeah use Tor!
You can download Bitcoin but can't browse bitcointalk.org
You should check things before you make such statements. I use Bitcoin and browse bitcointalk.org with Tor only.

This forum blocks some Tor exit nodes only for posting and only to unverified users with less than a n posts (10 or 20, I don`t remember). You can browse forum with Tor freely.
CyberPhunk

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 04:19:33 PM

Also if there is a need, I would be happy to host binaries. Sha and md5 checksums should ensure integrity of the files and there is https throughout at https://bitcoin.org.uk

If you do, I will gladly add them to the list in the thread in my signature

List of client download mirrors / Older Catalyst drivers/SDK
13dRbbqBpfZEmZiXXdLM4NKNoJYsgHbuFJ  <- might as well, in case someone feels generous. Wink
deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 02:04:43 PM

actually they were blocking abusive members via ip which was resulting in the tor nodes being blocked not specifically going after tor

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 02:57:41 PM

actually they were blocking abusive members via ip which was resulting in the tor nodes being blocked not specifically going after tor
That's not what I was told, but I never checked myself so you should be right

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 03:04:53 PM

the relevant threads would be these two
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=17762.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30367.0
basically abused nodes end up banned temoprarily however tor itsefl it not banned in it's entirety

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 01:23:09 PM

Hi guys,

back from Iran I'm happy my thread got some attention and yes, I hope the bitcoin project gets more aware of how accessible it is around the world.

In Iran people use proxies to see the internet without censorship. I will try to find an Iranian proxy so I see the internet through their eyes and get more aware of what websites not to use to stay visible for the people there.

Else: Go visit Iran! I never experienced more hospitality. Maybe 2% do speak some English but I travelled via couchsurfing.org and so I had great contacts - and now friends in all the cities I've been to. Worst thing that happened were people charging me twice the regular price.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:31:57 PM

Glad you had a good trip. What country were you coming from?

For now Iranian users could use an online wallet. I know its not a great option but for receiving/sending small payments it would work.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:45:26 PM

Hi guys,

back from Iran I'm happy my thread got some attention and yes, I hope the bitcoin project gets more aware of how accessible it is around the world.

In Iran people use proxies to see the internet without censorship. I will try to find an Iranian proxy so I see the internet through their eyes and get more aware of what websites not to use to stay visible for the people there.

Else: Go visit Iran! I never experienced more hospitality. Maybe 2% do speak some English but I travelled via couchsurfing.org and so I had great contacts - and now friends in all the cities I've been to. Worst thing that happened were people charging me twice the regular price.

Go you! I however admire your drive to go to other countries, I always feel like I will be arrested for stupid things that I'm normally use to being legal in USA. Thats why I don't travel often.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 05:58:34 PM

Go you! I however admire your drive to go to other countries, I always feel like I will be arrested for stupid things that I'm normally use to being legal in USA. Thats why I don't travel often.

What a coincidence, that's why I don't go to USA, they say it's too strict (compared to Europe & Middle East). Smiley

But seriously, foreigners are favoured in the Middle East, you really need to do something very absurd to get in trouble. Just don't get mangled in local affairs too much, which is not easy in itself for a tourist anyway.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 06:56:26 PM

What a coincidence, that's why I don't go to USA, they say it's too strict (compared to Europe & Middle East). Smiley

But seriously, foreigners are favoured in the Middle East, you really need to do something very absurd to get in trouble. Just don't get mangled in local affairs too much, which is not easy in itself for a tourist anyway.

You maybe right actually i may have gotten use to memorizing laws to not get in trouble in usa that i just assume its like that everywhere else.
giszmo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 12:18:45 AM

I'd rather be a political prisoner in Iran knowing my country can get me out sooner or later than disappear in some CIA prison in Pakistan for years without anybody knowing if I were still alive. Do you really believe USA to be the country of freedom?

Driving by the nuclear facilities in Natanz was a bit weird. I almost accidentally took a photo of one of those AA-guns that are all around it. My driver who himself worked at the facility for a short time got into trouble with an italien tourist who took pictures but all that had happened was that they spent 4h at the police and the guy never got back his camera.
Iranians are not allowed to host foreigners but I slept 15 nights at 5 different private places. Just better not stay at a single woman's house, but I also met hosts that hosted single women.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Uhlbelk

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2011, 12:01:37 AM

Well, if sourceforge is such a puppet in the U.S. government hands, i say take the client out of there, because it doesn't seem the right place to be hosting it.

AGREE!

I concur with this recommendation, but where would the file be safely hosted? I suppose if a trusted up-loader made a torrent but new folks would need to know who that trusted creator was. I suppose the torrent link would be hosted on bitcoin.orgs site and that would be good enough to trust.

Freedom with SciFi Coin
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:43:48 PM

Incidentally, there was a crowdsource effort to get Farsi translations for MultiBit.  That effort succeeded so the next release of MutliBit will be more useful for Persians.

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=43616.msg1247525#msg1247525

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

SistaS0uljah

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:39:13 PM

Considering the economic unrest in Iran last week (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/03/riots-break-out-in-iran-as-currency-loses-40-of-its-value-in-a-week/), I think the country is just about ready for something like Bitcoin to help stabilize their economy.
WorldOfBitcoin

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 05:35:10 AM

For a mass deployment wouldn't DVD's with client and the most recent blockchain possible be the best way? I guarantee you there is underground software/movie/Piracy networks throughout the country.   
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 10, 2012, 12:32:21 PM

Well, if sourceforge is such a puppet in the U.S. government hands, i say take the client out of there, because it doesn't seem the right place to be hosting it.

+1
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: