Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:08:11 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120476 times)
RickJamesBTC

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:12:33 AM

Where are you finding these PSU connectors? I have been looking for them for ages. Are these on digikey?

Yep, gotta dig through a hundred thousand models to find the right one Smiley
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 02:37:49 AM

The Z750P connectors aren't, at least not in stock. I have a jerry rig solution but for the next round I'll have to order from the factory.

In the very near future I'll have boards for the DPS800 and probably that 2000W fanless supply y'all seem to like; that one will integrate a PWM fan speed controller with internal/external drive options and at least one fan header.

Manufacture on the Z750P boards has been delayed by finances, but we should start rolling them off about the end of next week or early the week after. Hopefully the boards for other supplies won't be too far behind.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
MikeMike
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1020

★ Ⓚ KORE TEAM Ⓚ ★

View Profile
January 11, 2014, 05:38:45 AM

Where are you finding these PSU connectors? I have been looking for them for ages. Are these on digikey?

Find a backplane and ask them to send you all the numbers on the actual black connector IF ANY then search all or part of the number at digikey

Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:36:46 PM

I received a couple quotes for the 6pin PCIe power cables, and forwarded the best one to sidehack.  Still waiting on news from my vendors re: 51915 discussion.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:51:04 PM

Find a backplane and ask them to send you all the numbers on the actual black connector IF ANY then search all or part of the number at digikey

Thanks guys, I have found what I have been looking for. Smiley

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 13, 2014, 04:58:24 PM

Had about a week's holdup with initial funding for a first batch, but we should be ordering the parts and PCBs before end of business today. Depending what happens, we should have orders opened in about ten days for the Z750P boards, and a solid design for DPS800 boards and for a several-supply control panel not too much later.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
r00t$

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 07:35:24 PM

Bump for OP...the guy knows his shit.

Count me in for a couple.
Bobs Yerunkle

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

Untitled

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 08:41:03 PM

I have a Dell Z750P that is waiting for 1 of these once the bigger orders have been fulfilled.

Looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like.

allten

Activity: 455

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2014, 09:07:16 PM

Finally found some information on to turn on the HP Common Slot Power Supplies:

http://www.rchelination.com/setting-hp-dps-1200fb-power-supply/

Still looking for a connector though.

BotwinBG

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 14, 2014, 11:52:34 PM

I grabbed an IBM DPS-2500BB A and a HP DPS-800GB A 1000W for a few pennies, so if you're working on compatible boards, count me in for one of each, in addition to 4 Z750P boards.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:24:32 AM

DPS800 is the next board we'll have available. Just gotta get some time to make one - in addition to Blade/Cube repair service and Z750P designs, I've got a "real job" and a few other side projects to juggle.

Also looking at cables; Cheshyr got some good numbers, need to find out a bit more information but we'll likely have cables available for purchase alongside the boards for around $4-$5 depending on wire diameter and length; this'll have a PCIe 6-pin and spade connectors already assembled.

RickJamesBTC

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 01:40:39 AM

These are what I've been making for my DPS-2000BBs. Holy shit I'm tired of soldering and stripping wires. I need a cable manufacturer.

I've made almost a dozen so far. Nice part of the 2000bb is that I can run 7 r9-280x or 10 270x cards off each one. Probably more, as I think there is sufficient over capacity in the power supplies, but I'm leaving headroom.

pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 02:09:00 AM

These are what I've been making for my DPS-2000BBs. Holy shit I'm tired of soldering and stripping wires. I need a cable manufacturer.

I've made almost a dozen so far. Nice part of the 2000bb is that I can run 7 r9-280x or 10 270x cards off each one. Probably more, as I think there is sufficient over capacity in the power supplies, but I'm leaving headroom.

Totally cool! I assume the pot is for setting volts on the 12V rail, Sata lines for riser cables, a few fan headers, and running the mobo off another cheap supply?

Do you think I could talk you into a close up of how you mounted all those wires? It looks like you've got them all directly to the pins, am I right?

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
RickJamesBTC

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:57:01 AM

Totally cool! I assume the pot is for setting volts on the 12V rail, Sata lines for riser cables, a few fan headers, and running the mobo off another cheap supply?

Do you think I could talk you into a close up of how you mounted all those wires? It looks like you've got them all directly to the pins, am I right?

no pot, that's a switch and a volt gauge to monitor. It's 12.3 volts rock solid. I don't need to mess with it. It's all soldered directly to the header plug  I posted earlier in the thread.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:21:26 AM

Hope you don't mind if I ask you any questions while designing the board for this supply.

pontiacg5

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:49:54 AM

Hope you don't mind if I ask you any questions while designing the board for this supply.

I've got a few extra if you want one to play with. I've been meaning to come up with a good way to distribute all that power, the connector's terminals aren't exactly held in well and I'm afraid they'd be a problem at some point soldering directly to them.

Kinda why I wanted to see an up close pic to see if your connector was different, or how you dealt with what I'm seeing.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
RickJamesBTC

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:15:15 AM

I've got a few extra if you want one to play with. I've been meaning to come up with a good way to distribute all that power, the connector's terminals aren't exactly held in well and I'm afraid they'd be a problem at some point soldering directly to them.

Kinda why I wanted to see an up close pic to see if your connector was different, or how you dealt with what I'm seeing.

The little pins I'm only connected to the power on and ground wires. Then I gopped on some hot glue to keep the little bastards still.
The big power connectors aren't goin anywhere.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:20:06 AM

That's how I did my first test, wired straight to the supply terminals with pin header plugs and hot-snotted the whole thing solid.

The Z750P connector is not the same as on the 2000. I think, actually, that the Z750P is the only effin' supply that uses that connector; there's a bunch with the same pinout but ever-so-slightly different spacing on the power blades which is why it's hard to find mating connectors.

pontiacg5

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:32:46 AM

The little pins I'm only connected to the power on and ground wires. Then I gopped on some hot glue to keep the little bastards still.

That answers my question pretty well, thanks! The little pins can do some pretty neat stuff from what I've been reading. Hot glue sounds like a good way to keep them from doing neat stuff when you don't want it to. I'm also glad it runs 12V pretty steady without any further control needed, I thought it might take at least a resistor to set the 12V..

I'd agree that the big ones bite down pretty hard, I don't think they will go anywhere either. Those terminals slide out pretty easy when they aren't connected though. I was planning on clipping all the little pins off and soldering gangs of wires down inside the terminal.

Sucks about that other power supply connector, I just searched the P/N of the socket and found the plug P/N on digi's search. I'm sure you figured that out though, guess I just got lucky picking these supplies  Grin

RickJamesBTC

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:45:13 AM

That answers my question pretty well, thanks! The little pins can do some pretty neat stuff from what I've been reading. Hot glue sounds like a good way to keep them from doing neat stuff when you don't want it to. I'm also glad it runs 12V pretty steady without any further control needed, I thought it might take at least a resistor to set the 12V..

I'd agree that the big ones bite down pretty hard, I don't think they will go anywhere either. Those terminals slide out pretty easy when they aren't connected though. I was planning on clipping all the little pins off and soldering gangs of wires down inside the terminal.

Sucks about that other power supply connector, I just searched the P/N of the socket and found the plug P/N on digi's search. I'm sure you figured that out though, guess I just got lucky picking these supplies  Grin

You don't wanna see the zip ties holding the fans and power connectors to the psus Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: