Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:27:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120476 times)
PMB

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:02:24 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one doing this.
For the molex crimp pins, I used mouser 538-39-00-0038-CT, I used 538-39-01-2060 for the 6 pin connectors but they have one square plug that didn't match my video cards but worked with the cube. The big issue is making all the connections, it's too time consuming to do by hand and the edge connector I used was $6 plus $0.27 per pin. Overall it's worth it for my own use because I already had the tools but the labor and liability keeps me from selling any.

Hi,

For 6 Pin you can use the Molex : http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0455590002_CRIMP_HOUSINGS.xml

Which is made specially for this. For the 8 Pin I can't seem to find any. Maybe a 6 + 2 instead?

regards,

P.
PMB

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 12:05:55 PM

First "complete" prototype finished and undergoing testing; as soon as a reliable source of parts can be found I'll start on actual production. If anyone's got an "in" with Molex or FCI I wouldn't mind a bit of assistance tracking down both parts and information.

This board is designed to mate with a Dell Z750P power supply from a PowerEdge 2950; said supplies can be found fairly readily on eBay in various conditions for as low as $12. They are rated to provide 62A at 12V at 90% efficiency. This interface board provides
 - Screw terminals for +12V and GND so you only hook up what cables you need.
 - Additional output capacitance for voltage ripple and burst current buffering
 - Manual fan speed control (the stock full speed is quite loud)
 - Auto-powerup which can be triggered by an external signal as low as 3V, disablable by a toggle switch
 - Manual powerup from a toggle switch. Because toggle switches are legit.
 - In-signal and Out-signal headers which allow chaining, so one supply can turn on multiple others
 - Current share feature which should allow multiple supplies to cross-regulate and evenly distribute high power loads in parallel

Hi,

Great Project!

I'm from the EU so bringing it in from the US is going to up the price a bit. Will you be releasing the PCB design so one can build it by himself?

If so do you have a parts list?

regards,

P.
Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:46:18 PM

Ok, the FCI 51915-064LF part discussion has come to a dead-end.  Our only option is to place a large enough order to get the factory to manufacture another run.  Minimum quantities look like 200+.  Do we have that much interest?  If so, we have a couple ways to move on this.  I've got quotes for ordering these, which I've forwarded to sidehack.
PMB

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 03:53:15 PM

Ok, the FCI 51915-064LF part discussion has come to a dead-end.  Our only option is to place a large enough order to get the factory to manufacture another run.  Minimum quantities look like 200+.  Do we have that much interest?  If so, we have a couple ways to move on this.  I've got quotes for ordering these, which I've forwarded to sidehack.

This will be the Connector from the PCB to the DELL PSU right? If so how much for each and Shipping to Europe?

regards,

P.
PMB

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:04:48 PM

Hi,

Pinout for Dell Z750p.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005309&page=35#post17752609

regards,

P.
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:43:45 PM

Im in for at least that number, so yes.
allten

Activity: 455
Merit: 250

You Don't Bitcoin 'till You Mint Coin

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:43:22 PM

Finally found some information on how to turn on the HP Common Slot Power Supplies:

http://www.rchelination.com/setting-hp-dps-1200fb-power-supply/

Still looking for a connector though.

Here are few more details (Pin37 has 12V standby power and Pin30 is a ground):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've confirmed the following connector can work, but it's not an exact match:

http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=1761426&DocType=Customer+Drawing&DocLang=English
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv88=667&k=1761426&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Here's a picture of how it matches up. Notice some of the data pins connect on the ground plane and also, there is some over hanging on the left:

I'll give a $100 in BTC to the person that can find me an exact match!

Cheshyr

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:56:53 PM

Im in for at least that number, so yes.
Alright, then we need to decide on an order quantity, gather the funds, and place the order.  This is sidehack's project, so I'll defer to him on how we proceed.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:58:13 PM

Bobsag has offered to put up some BTC, but I'll have to decide how to split that up between the cables he wants and an order for these connectors. And then decide how many connectors we want to order.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
BotwinBG

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 07:24:08 PM

Bobsag has offered to put up some BTC, but I'll have to decide how to split that up between the cables he wants and an order for these connectors. And then decide how many connectors we want to order.

I have got 5 Z/N750P units here so I could go in for say 6-7.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:10:05 PM

bringing this up again:
Delta DPS-835AB, Artesyn 7001138-Y000, IBM x3650 3655 835W (12.1V 69A) Power Supply

at 835W, these units turn on with a simple pin shorting (pins 3 and 4 - which are easy to bend into contact and place a small solder bead across) and have large, well-spaced sockets that can either be filled with wire leads and solder, or have the outer plastic snipped away to expose the metal contacts.

I converted a unit with about 20min, some AWG14 leads, and a few different sizes of heat shrink (1 size for the leads and 1 size to seal off the entire terminal to any accidental contact or shorting). I plan to post some pictures shortly, but right now its doing an excellent job of powering a 7-card bitfury system usin 2+ and 2- power lines that experience no warmth. It will also power an antminer shortly, either using 1+ and 1- per blade (pushing it a bit) or 4 wires to one blade and a seperate PSU for the other

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766215

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:32:43 PM

I can confirm I put up some BTC to get this project rolling.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 08:34:55 PM

PCBs have been ordered, parts are all spec'd and orders are being placed. We're still trying to iron out timelines and delivery estimates; hopefully by the time we're out of parts for the Z750 boards we're starting to make the DPS800 boards so there's not a lot of time lost between orders.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
volosator

Activity: 272

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:02:42 PM

Where do you guys buy the pcie cables with connector attached already?
BotwinBG

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:17:34 PM

PCBs have been ordered, parts are all spec'd and orders are being placed. We're still trying to iron out timelines and delivery estimates; hopefully by the time we're out of parts for the Z750 boards we're starting to make the DPS800 boards so there's not a lot of time lost between orders.

Is IBM DPS-2500BB or similar unit on the table as well? Having a few of those monsters feed my hardware would be pretty neat.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:27:44 PM

Not sure yet. I'll see what the community's favorite bigarse supply is before deciding - as well as factors like cost/availability of connector, available pinout information etc.

pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 09:32:44 PM

Not sure yet. I'll see what the community's favorite bigarse supply is before deciding - as well as factors like cost/availability of connector, available pinout information etc.

Whell,

The DPS series comes in multiple sizes, and from what I can tell they all share the same pinout which is easy to find. The card edge connectors are super easy to find, so much so that I even found them.

Besides the fan issue, they seem the best choice for 220V serious power from my research.

The DPS-2000BB is all over ebay for ~$30, too.

This might help. Ignore the pci-e plugs though, as they are wrong for GPUs.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=5854.0

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:37:37 PM

Is it the same pinout, or the same connector? Same connector would make things super easy, slightly easier than just same pinout. The DPS2000 is my current front-runner for a multi-KW supply to work with.

PMB

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 10:57:21 PM

Is it the same pinout, or the same connector? Same connector would make things super easy, slightly easier than just same pinout. The DPS2000 is my current front-runner for a multi-KW supply to work with.

The PSU is good but it needs to be modded and a Fan has to be added in order for it to be cooled down.

regards,

P.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 11:16:48 PM

Which I was figuring on integrating a fan header and speed controller on the board so you could plug one in. Anyone got a recommendation for a 2KW with internal fan and pretty standard connector? What's the difference between the DPS2000 and the DPS2500 that guy mentioned a few posts back?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: