Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:49:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120472 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1855

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 04:50:57 PM

I've got an overclocked Ant and an overclocked Cube running off some 12" 20AWG PCIe cables, and they do get warm. Any longer and I'd throw them out, but it's what I had available at the time. Everything now runs off the 16AWG 18" cables with zero issues at all.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
t7ank

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 05:36:29 PM

Yeah guys, that is correct. But do you know that your molex cripms are certified only for 9A@each crimp?
Also 20AWG is certified for max 11A (means 30-33A per lead, that is eqaul to ~360W). Sure this is theory, but certified values are higher anyway.

source of statment, that crimp is certified for 9A:
http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0039000038_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 08:03:05 PM

On GPUs, only 2 of the pins are used for 12V power so that's 18A per connector. But on GPUs only 75W comes in per 6-pin, which is only 3.1A per pin. If you adapt 6 pin to 8 pin, you use all 3 lines but for 150W, so 4.2A per pin.

Standalone devices like Cubes and Ants, which can pull in 360W per device through two 6-pins, if using all 3 lines, pull 5A per pin.

And just because 20AWG is rated for 11A doesn't mean it's a good idea. Every experimental result posted in this forum will tell you the wires get uncomfortably warm.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 22, 2014, 11:03:22 PM

are server supplies good for GPU use? I want to make sure its safe to do before i go wiring a hokey DPS-800GB into a valuable GPU rig

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:02:10 AM

It's likely going to be a higher quality of power than you'll get from any ATX supply (of comparable power output) that you paid less than about $120 for. The only real concerns are the quality of a hokey wiring job.

BotwinBG

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 06:37:17 AM

ran into a strange problem with a test setup I tried - a few 280x with these kind of externders connected to Z750p with the 6pin pci-e and to a regular PSU on the molex side. They did not turn on when I started the computer.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
t7ank

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 09:34:48 AM

On GPUs, only 2 of the pins are used for 12V power so that's 18A per connector. But on GPUs only 75W comes in per 6-pin, which is only 3.1A per pin. If you adapt 6 pin to 8 pin, you use all 3 lines but for 150W, so 4.2A per pin.

Stupid.
Then reply how can 4870x2 pull 426W from PSU, if it only has 6pin + 8pin (meaning 75W from MB + 75W from 6pin + 150W from 8pin equals 350W)
6pin are 8pin are RATED for 75W and 150W, but they supply much more to GPUs.

Anyway i found better molex pci-e crimps, that are declared for 13A per pin, but still play safe.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 01:47:15 PM

BotwinBG - did you manually power up the supply, or have the EON linked to the ATX? How was it set up?

t7ank - I dunno. Those numbers are what the PCIe standard dictates. It's definitely possible to pull more power, just means it's not standard compliant. Also 75+75+150=300.

Kushedout
Legendary

Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000

SaluS - (SLS)

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 04:13:53 PM

Thanks for the boards Sidehack.

They work great. I am running 7 BTCgarden blades with them and few fans.

Thanks again for great product and quick shipping.

BotwinBG

View Profile
February 23, 2014, 10:03:30 PM

BotwinBG - did you manually power up the supply, or have the EON linked to the ATX? How was it set up?

t7ank - I dunno. Those numbers are what the PCIe standard dictates. It's definitely possible to pull more power, just means it's not standard compliant. Also 75+75+150=300.

It was a test setup, I was assembling the OpenRig.com frame I got (fucking finally). Two 280x connected to a regular ATX PSU, both on molex and on 6pin. Two 280x connected to the Z750P via 6pin and to the regular ATX PSU via molex. I manually powered the Z750P prior to powering up the rest of the rig. The 280x connected to Z750P did strangely enough spin up on rig shutdown, fans came one for a second or two. Nothing else. I needed that rig online and hashing at that moment, so I did not try anything else.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:21:32 AM

Was that on a board directly, or risers? I've got two machines running with GPUs slotted into the board directly, with the boards EON wired to the ATX supply, and both are fully functional.

BotwinBG

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 12:52:00 PM

Was that on a board directly, or risers? I've got two machines running with GPUs slotted into the board directly, with the boards EON wired to the ATX supply, and both are fully functional.
All the cards were on risers. Will assemble another rig sometime during the week and test again.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:06:53 PM

I've been getting a lot of PMs lately from people saying "I read your thread about the server supply boards. What supplies are you building boards for and how can I preorder?"

Let it be known that I am a curmudgeon by nature, and therefore will start responding to these messages by saying "RTFThread" and a link, as all of these questions have been answered repeatedly in the thread people claim to have read. It's been stated that I currently have boards for the D750P/N750P supplies, and will within a few days start prototyping DPS-2000BB and DPS-800 boards. And I do not take preorders.

Cables are currently in low stock, until I can whip some minions into shape and convince them that an hour's work every five days is not acceptable progress. Stock is growing on D750 boards, and parts are inbound for the next batch so general sales should be open soon. I'll probably post the sales thread in the Group Buys forum, as that's more the proper place for such things.

Tigggger
Legendary

Activity: 1098

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:53:17 PM

Stock is growing on D750 boards, and parts are inbound for the next batch so general sales should be open soon. I'll probably post the sales thread in the Group Buys forum, as that's more the proper place for such things.

Eagerly awaiting the next batch, I presume you'll add a post in here directing to the group buy thread when available, I don't keep up with that forum and don't want to miss them.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:37:32 PM

Cables are currently in low stock, until I can whip some minions into shape and convince them that an hour's work every five days is not acceptable progress. Stock is growing on D750 boards, and parts are inbound for the next batch so general sales should be open soon. I'll probably post the sales thread in the Group Buys forum, as that's more the proper place for such things.

Do you need help with that?

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 03:17:03 AM

Let it be known that I am a curmudgeon by nature, and therefore will start responding to these messages by saying "RTFThread" and a link, as all of these questions have been answered repeatedly in the thread people claim to have read.

Dude I think I love you.   Cheesy  You tell 'em sidehack!

You people should give sidehack mad props.  This is a great project he's started, he puts out a quality product - even with the occasional ugly solders! Wink - and he's honest, straightforward, and professional.  He obviously puts forth the effort to do things well, and the results are really beneficial to a community like this one.

until I can whip some minions into shape and convince them that an hour's work every five days is not acceptable progress.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

If I weren't so involved in my own things in life I think I'd love working with you.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 04:59:18 AM

That's funny, most people call me a jerk. In my defense, I'm an equal-opportunity jerk. I hate all people equally. Unless you're intelligent and hard-working, in which case you're probably okay. Unfortunately people like that are the minority these days, especially in the US.

I just received the other day, our shipment of Batch 2 PCBs. These are V0.5, improved slightly from the V0.4 boards we've shipped already - they'll fit a better connector, have a more accurate current measurement, and you'll actually be able to read the various pinout labels. They should also fix some issues that increased assembly time, so hopefully they'll start rolling out quicker. I'm gonna be spending tomorrow on some much-needed devtime for DPS-2000 boards, but probably won't have any direct progress on anything for a few days due to other commitments. If days were more than 24 hours long I could work for more than 14 of them - and my minions could work for more than one of them - and we'd get you guys more good stuff faster. But there's only so much one guy and his mediocre help can accomplish at a time.

JLebowskiTheDude

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 07:02:42 AM

That's funny, most people call me a jerk. In my defense, I'm an equal-opportunity jerk. I hate all people equally. Unless you're intelligent and hard-working, in which case you're probably okay. Unfortunately people like that are the minority these days, especially in the US.

That's probably the very reason I like you then! I place a high value on the same things and find them in all too short supply these days as well.

booost

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 11:42:10 AM

I'm gonna be spending tomorrow on some much-needed devtime for DPS-2000 boards

quick question, I think these DPS-2000 may only support 200v~240V  so are they are they any use for most clients running 110~120v ?
correct me if im wrong
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2014, 02:50:08 PM

Pretty sure that's right, they require 220/240.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: