Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:57:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tax Collector to Accept Bitcoin  (Read 1140 times)
lushlifing (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 02:36:08 PM

Florida Tax Collector to Accept Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash Payments

A Florida county tax collector has partnered with bitcoin payments processor BitPay to accept cryptocurrency for a variety of services.

Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg said in a statement Monday that his office will take bitcoin and bitcoin cash for payments associated with driver licenses and ID cards, automobile tags and titles and property tax.

The office decided to accept the cryptocurrencies in an effort to streamline fee collection, reduce the potential for fraud and identity theft and increase the transparency and accuracy of payments. Greenberg's office added that it does not perceive any "price volatility or risk to the County" in accepting the cryptocurrencies.

credits: https://www.coindesk.com/florida-tax-collector-accept-bitcoin-bitcoin-cash-payments/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Msile

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:02:04 PM

Seminole County is the first government agency to use BitPay to process services, and representatives for the company said they believe it is the first government agency in the US to accept cryptocurrencies.

While bitcoin has garnered significant attention over the past year, it's widely believed to be too costly and impractical to use for small payments. The cost of individual bitcoin payments skyrocketed in December at the height of the cryptocurrency's price and popularity, and BitPay itself even temporarily banned bitcoin purchases under $100 as fees on the network hit a high of $37 per transaction.
Doge dealer

Activity: 462
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:28:29 PM

this shows that bitcoin is being en-grained into the fabric of our society when the tax collector  has added bitcoins as a means of tax payment. It means that they would have done their continuity studies to ensure that this is a sustainable , viable method of collecting taxes. This says a lot about bitcoins and its future in society, its obviously on its way to greatness.

muhammedb

Activity: 378
Merit: 108

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:49:12 PM

A Florida county tax collector has partnered with bitcoin payments processor BitPay to accept cryptocurrency for a variety of services.

Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg said in a statement Monday that his office will take bitcoin and bitcoin cash for payments associated with driver licenses and ID cards, automobile tags and titles and property tax.

The office decided to accept the cryptocurrencies in an effort to streamline fee collection, reduce the potential for fraud and identity theft and increase the transparency and accuracy of payments. Greenberg's office added that it does not perceive any "price volatility or risk to the County" in accepting the cryptocurrencies.

credits: https://www.coindesk.com/florida-tax-collector-accept-bitcoin-bitcoin-cash-payments/
Wow this is a great news in the crypto-currency world, hope for many great things to happen
biboy

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:56:28 PM

This is a good way to start up as the government finally accepts bitcoin as a way of payment too, we are hoping as well that here in our country the world of crypto will be widely use too and that the government will also accept it.
samarabtc

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 06:52:09 AM

this post made me happy man, Florida county tax collectors are so cool man, epic and advanced. hope all of the people become as wise as these people rather then sperading fun and blocking bitcoin.
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 06:56:57 AM

Great way for them to map out addresses with identities lol. I hope everyone who decides to pay this way uses a mixer or something to cut off the trail to their real wallets. Also, wouldn't using Bitcoins for tax payments be a taxable event in itself?

Interesting move nonetheless though. If this leads to an increase in collection, other states may follow.

deeofficialx

Activity: 462
Merit: 113

Need me? PM me!

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:14:02 AM

This might be the real deal, payment revolution. And if things goes smooth, other country will do the same. But I hope, that doesn't mean a full-powered regulation.
GoodBrother

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:20:11 AM

I'm very interested - how the US federal authorities will react to this, and especially the Federal Reserve System... Will the government support this initiative?
SivaSankarSMS

Activity: 30

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:22:17 AM

From my perspective i think this is a great news for bitcoin because government are accepts bitcoin and few months later all countries are also accept bitcoin.A Florida county tax collector has partnered with bitcoin payments processor BitPay to accept cryptocurrency for a variety of services.

Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg said in a statement Monday that his office will take bitcoin and bitcoin cash for payments associated with driver licenses and ID cards, automobile tags and titles and property tax.Seminole County is the first government agency to use BitPay to process services, and representatives for the company said they believe it is the first government agency in the US to accept cryptocurrencies.
worldtraveller321

Activity: 510
Merit: 33

The Quest of the Best Information to the Solution

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2018, 07:24:37 AM

yes and no, good for acceptance, but also paves the path to full centralization of it all.

Plus its the way for the government to find out and to track anyone who has cryptocurrency.

Think on this as it was original idea of blockchain is to keep yourself hidden in transactions.

so this is just your way to let the government know all your business

worldtraveller
julielyn

Activity: 186

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:34:51 AM

This is a good way to start up as the government finally accepts bitcoin as a way of payment too, we are hoping as well that here in our country the world of crypto will be widely use too and that the government will also accept it.

It's good to hear that in other countries they are already using it but here in the Philippines I do not think that's the way the tax collector receives a bitcoin maybe someday that's what happens but right now it's not here
InKiTy38

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:40:15 AM

Bitcoin trading is also a matter for me, as if the government levy taxes they will be more responsible for the digital currency, and there is also the opportunity for digital money. This is responsible for the economic development of the country
MaryKiTy22

Activity: 168

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:55:43 AM

If bitcoin trading is going to be taxable for the government, then I think it is worth it, at least bitcoin will contribute a small part to the development of the country and the government will also recognize the contribution to the development. develop the country
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:03:59 AM
Last edit: May 16, 2018, 10:54:26 AM by vlad230

That sounds good Smiley
I would have expected BTC to be more used when purchasing things and least expect tax collection to start accepting BTC.

If the government is starting to accept this kind of payment, maybe more people will start using it.
Tankdestroyer

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:17:32 AM

I would have expected BTC to be more used when purchasing things and least expect tax collection to start accepting BTC.
Why did you expect for tax collection to happen later than being used when purchasing things? I think taxation of a currency or acceptance of a currency in paying tax is the starting point of it being used in payments more.
yes and no, good for acceptance, but also paves the path to full centralization of it all.
Don't be worried about that because they cannot take full control over bitcoin, they can just regulate transactions of it.
socksserver3

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:25:33 AM

I think this is good news! I am not great expert but my intuition says that soon more and more tax collectors, government and large companies will understand how many advantages bitcoin can offer us
kaya11

Activity: 1302
Merit: 110

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:37:13 AM

Now it's just those manipulators with their media powers who only want Bitcoin to be erased in the society. If only they will leave Bticoin alone and just mind their own. This is really getting crazy. hope more and more collectors out there will follow this, I will be very glad if things go well even there are bad news on the net.
pawitrawijaya

Activity: 126

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:52:17 AM

That's good news... I hope in my country there are collectors like that, so it makes it easier for us to pay taxes without the need to exchange bitcoin into local money... Hopefully in the future many tax collectors think to accept bitcoin as payment..
cherryfer

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 08:54:48 AM

That's very nice for them to use conveniently method like payment of bitcoin but there will have also risky because we do not know when did bitcoin last. or probably its just a simple of saying "OK THAT'S NICE" if bitcoin become stable and primary use to the said country. How about if bitcoin totally shout down eventually, how will you do your bitcoin stock accepted from buyers? that's the big question here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: