Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:10:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GROUP BUY] Alpha-T Scrypt Miners 25 MH/s  (Read 22619 times)
salviel

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:34:00 AM

Hello,

I was planning on ordering a few for myself but I am going to gauge interest on potential group buys for the Alpha Technologies 25 MH/s Litecoin ASICs.

*snip*

How sure are you that you can manage to get a preorder in quick enough to be delivered in the first batch?

If you can convince me, I'd like to go in with you on at least half a rig.
FreePls

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:52:25 AM

Before you guys send bitcoins into the air by speculating if this company exist for real...  send it to me then i can finaly throw away my nvidia gpus  Wink

Grin

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:58:02 AM

I have a new technology that will hash Scrypt at 100 MH/s using only 75W of power.

Send me 0.5 BTC and I will tell you more! Cheesy

Do you take group-buy orders?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
drmosh

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 04:02:41 AM

I predict these will ship... in 2015...

Roll Eyes

chrissibel

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Got Crypto?

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:29:43 AM

I've heard of other companies working on similar products as well. I don't recall exactly but I remember reading of one that has a mining software that will know which alt coins to mine for at any given time of the day to maximize the profits. Has anyone else heard of anything like this? I can't find the link I read it on.
IamRichard (OP)

Activity: 567
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 07:12:35 AM

I would strongly urge those who are looking into investing in this to really do your diligence into those behind the operation and their track record...most of the information is public and if you do a little bit of digging; I think it will surely make the decision a clear no-brainer for many of you. But besides that if you look at what they are offering:

~ 25 Mh/s for ~ $9000 USD and most likely closer to $10,000 once you consider shipping & customs taxes, you are looking at a rig efficiency of $2.5 kH / $USD. Also the cost of locking your money up for at least 3 months (dream scenario) if not longer, If you remember back to what happened with the first batches of SHA Asics, there will most likely be a relatively long development cycle, and a lot of up and downs before they iron out all the bugs and we get a final tape-out. My optimistic estimate would be no earlier than late Q3 2013.

But more than that, it's going to take a fair bit of capital as well to do all of this development work; and to date, no major name has stepped up to the plate to provide that yet, so money is at major risk in terms of halted or partial development and running out of funds, especially as they will be relying on the pre-order infusion to get things going.

For reference; I had created a 20+ Mh farm for $14k - and in the next buildout we are going to be able to drastically reduce costs to the level of $22 Mh / $12k, and continue to go down with increased volume. So you are looking at about a level of 1.8 kH / $USD. What I'm suggesting is that a 9 month wait for an additional 39% of cost efficiency probably only makes sense if they were able to ship out in the next few months or if you were looking to have an extremely scalable solution and were going very large - something that can be mitigated through creative management and tools of traditional rigs. And what's more in the case of a altcoin meltdown or a change in the cryptography to be resistant to the Scrypt Asic, you'd very much be left with a hunk of dead weight. However, GPUs have liquidation value that is probably at worst ~70% of your original investment in the hardware.

So:
Pros for ASIC: Much easier to manage / Much better energy efficiency / Scalable / Cost efficiency
Cons for ASIC: No risk mitigation / Long lead-times for what is currently vaporware / ASIC by definition not agile

Anyways just some food for thought; so perhaps if we pooled our resources along the lines of creating a traditional GPU farm it would be a more effective use of our money - in fact the wheels are already spinning on this front; give me a shout if this thinking is sound to you and you'd like to become involved in some way or if you think that there are some massive gaps in logic, would appreciate that even more.

All the best and Happy Holidays

Interesting point but how can you reduce your costs to 22 mh / 12k?  Huh Even 20+Mh for 14k is pretty impressive. I guess it must be those connections to suppliers  Wink
IamRichard (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 06:27:13 PM

1 person dropped out of rig #1 but another just took his place.
IamRichard (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 07:23:15 AM

We are having someone drop by Alphta-T's location and taking a look Cheesy
madpoet

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 03:06:44 PM

Awesome!
syncon

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 12:59:23 PM

Question to the OP. If you are buying 50% shares in 2 of these, why not just buy a 100% share in one of them, and skip all the headaches that go with group buys?
koguma

Activity: 106

View Profile
January 01, 2014, 03:57:34 PM

I think a bigger question,  at least from me, would be: How are you going to guarantee the group buy?   I'm going to guess that the miners are going to sell out pretty quick.

I am having trouble seeing the advantage in doing this groupbuy rather than buying it outright for oneself.  I am always up to invest in something of value but I think I will need some help understanding value in this one.  Anyone?

No need to manage it. Security, access to power, ability to sell your stake quickly and easily. Reduce risk by only buying 1/8th instead of an entire unit. Easy to scale up if you wanted. Plus, its something fun Cheesy

IamRichard (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:47:03 PM

Question to the OP. If you are buying 50% shares in 2 of these, why not just buy a 100% share in one of them, and skip all the headaches that go with group buys?

Well I am buying a few units for myself but I would like to put my hosting situation to better use Cheesy

IamRichard (OP)

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 06:48:38 PM

I think a bigger question,  at least from me, would be: How are you going to guarantee the group buy?   I'm going to guess that the miners are going to sell out pretty quick.

I am having trouble seeing the advantage in doing this groupbuy rather than buying it outright for oneself.  I am always up to invest in something of value but I think I will need some help understanding value in this one.  Anyone?

No need to manage it. Security, access to power, ability to sell your stake quickly and easily. Reduce risk by only buying 1/8th instead of an entire unit. Easy to scale up if you wanted. Plus, its something fun Cheesy

I cannot "guarantee" the group buy.

Once payment form everyone has been made, I will place the orders. Ideally, payments should be made before Alpha-t opens pre-orders (to ensure we are at the top of the list)

If pre-orders run out, people will be refunded.

If you are asking if I am willing to "front" money to guarantee slots for people? The answer is no
adversor

Activity: 112

View Profile
January 02, 2014, 07:16:49 PM

I have worked at a large Semiconductor Company in ASIC development and marketing. In this industry, schedules given by Sales/Marketing will never be reached. Normal case is around double time from first estimation to have functional ASICs in production. In case Indian R&D is involved, just add another quarter. Today they tell delivery will be Q2/Q3 2014. I can guarantee it will not be delivered until e/o 2014. Be careful with your investments.

LISK Develop Decentralized Applications & Sidechains in JavaScript with Lisk!
jackey_coin

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:26:14 AM

So amazing. I don't know what will happen when this machine on market, to the cryptocurrencies based on scrypt
FreePls

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:34:12 AM

Is this company real or not? thought someone was about to visit that place..

flipstyle

Activity: 406

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 05:46:41 AM

Apparently scamming members on an alt-coin forum gets easier every day.

:facepalm:
FreePls

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:10:13 AM

Apparently scamming members on an alt-coin forum gets easier every day.

:facepalm:

iamrichard is no scammer, he is just megarich  Grin

Jaerky

Activity: 187

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:36:46 AM

I would strongly urge those who are looking into investing in this to really do your diligence into those behind the operation and their track record...most of the information is public and if you do a little bit of digging; I think it will surely make the decision a clear no-brainer for many of you. But besides that if you look at what they are offering:

~ 25 Mh/s for ~ $9000 USD and most likely closer to $10,000 once you consider shipping & customs taxes, you are looking at a rig efficiency of $2.5 kH / $USD. Also the cost of locking your money up for at least 3 months (dream scenario) if not longer, If you remember back to what happened with the first batches of SHA Asics, there will most likely be a relatively long development cycle, and a lot of up and downs before they iron out all the bugs and we get a final tape-out. My optimistic estimate would be no earlier than late Q3 2013.

But more than that, it's going to take a fair bit of capital as well to do all of this development work; and to date, no major name has stepped up to the plate to provide that yet, so money is at major risk in terms of halted or partial development and running out of funds, especially as they will be relying on the pre-order infusion to get things going....

Thank you Altminer, finally a reasonable post in a thread full of baiters and trolls.

The technology is going to come out, sooner rather than later. The 25Mhz miner, if you bothered to read, is just 5 shards of the 5Mhz miner combined into one.

For those of you saying that it would be more profitable for the actual company to produce them and "plug it into the wall", remember that there were quite a few companies during the 1800's gold rush that made more money selling mining equipment to the miners that ran after gold, than the gold miners themselves. Please dont be so short sighted. Get real.

Its not that hard to figure out that one of these days, a startup is going to come along to actually release good, specialized Scrypt mining equipment. And when it does, its going to change the game.

But - I wouldnt invest into something like this just yet.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4926

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 08:25:27 AM

Looks like a real solid storefront! What could possibly go wrong?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: